Re: Printable x and y carriage replacements (Level 2 - Techie Consumer)

BFresh wrote:

Are the 'centre front' and 'centre rear' parts the same? It's just there's a part file for each of them. They look the same to me, but I may have missed something and don't want to risk putting them in wrong.

I'm not sure what parts your referring to but if it what I think than the answer is not they aren't the same.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I notice that the holes for the rods in the left and right carriages are open at the back, just like the stock ones.  Would it not be better to use slightly shorter rods, and have solid caps over their ends (part of the left/right carriages)?  This would work here because you can pull the carriages off to remove your rods.  Length tolerances don't matter much either and long as the rods are snug in the holes and not too long.

Otherwise you propose using a screw to hold the rods in place?  (I have a printed copy of the left carriage in my hand)

SD2 Sanguinololu 1.3a atmega1284p, wood platform, lawsy's carriages, braided fishing line, pallet wood overhead spool mount, carboard/magnet enclosure, glass bed, E3D v6, bed levelling knobs, extended z-stop, 25A DC-DC SSR for bed heater, everything fixed to the SD2 frame, marlin firmware with some adjustments and extra failsafes enabled.  I'll never give up on you, little printer that could(n't)!

driggers wrote:

I notice that the holes for the rods in the left and right carriages are open at the back, just like the stock ones.  Would it not be better to use slightly shorter rods, and have solid caps over their ends (part of the left/right carriages)?  This would work here because you can pull the carriages off to remove your rods.  Length tolerances don't matter much either and long as the rods are snug in the holes and not too long.

Otherwise you propose using a screw to hold the rods in place?  (I have a printed copy of the left carriage in my hand)

I can't quite see the advantage - with the open ends, at least you can tap the rods out instead of having to pull them (and associated grip marks). There's really no need to clamp the rods in with a set screw, as at least on the ones I printed the rods are a tight fit already and unlikely to move anywhere. Are your rods a loose fit?

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

154 (edited by PheonixSD3 2014-06-20 00:09:41)

I've finally successfully printed the carriages.  What extra hardware will I need beyond what comes from the old parts?  I remember discussion about needing M3-50's and that the belt screws may be too long.  Would someone please clarify?

Edit: The extra holes on the bottom of the x-carriage seem unsymmetrical for a later fan addition - is this normal?

Thanks

SD3, RUMBA, 360W power, ABS: Glass bed + Aquanet Extra Super Hold Hairspray, Anti-backlash Z spanner, Repetier Host + Slic3r

I gotta be honest, I was having a hard time with the design for the center carriage.  All of the different parts didn't fit together so well and I don't like the fact that it bends the rods slightly.  I used this design instead for the center x carriage:  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:162565.  It's one solid piece that holds onto the bearings tightly with electrical ties.  You also do not need the M3 x 50mm rods anymore.

The combination of Lawsy's y carriages and fts_lts's center carriage works really well for me.  The only downside is that I had to shave off part of the carriage where it interfered with the right side y carriage.  No big deal though.

I want to check out the X carriage that you mentioned but that thingiverse link gives me a "not found" message - if the thing was taken down, do you still have the stl by chance that you could post here?

SD3, RUMBA, 360W power, ABS: Glass bed + Aquanet Extra Super Hold Hairspray, Anti-backlash Z spanner, Repetier Host + Slic3r

PheonixSD3 wrote:

I want to check out the X carriage that you mentioned but that thingiverse link gives me a "not found" message - if the thing was taken down, do you still have the stl by chance that you could post here?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:162565 that link will work.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

158 (edited by PheonixSD3 2014-06-20 22:10:45)

Ha - got it now - that one extra period in the link makes all the difference in the world!

(edit: I guess I could have searched by the thing number too...)

159 (edited by AZERATE 2014-06-27 14:22:17)

Holy crap! I work 22 miles from McMaster Carr's headquarters. Ordered my rods and collar shafts at 9am and got them at 5:15pm. Talk about FAST!!
Only question now is how much do they charge for MC employees to run them out locally? hmm
EDIT: $7 for local del

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

Where I live, if I order from Mcmaster by 12:00 noon, I will get the shipment by 1:30 PM.  Also, if I order before 6:00 PM, I will get it the next morning before 10:00 AM.  Mcmaster is awesome in general, but even better if you live close to one of their warehouses.

161 (edited by AZERATE 2014-06-30 16:11:59)

I CANNOT insert the captive M3 nut into the "center-top" print. Like...zero chance. It fit fine and snug on the top (belt side/bottom), but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get said nut in there even on some of my old failed prints.
Am I missing something? I even tried 4-40 in the event of recycling stock X carriage bolts.
Thanks in advance as always.

EDIT: Got it figured out...tapped it in with a hammer and a point.

ne14pez wrote:

I gotta be honest, I was having a hard time with the design for the center carriage.  All of the different parts didn't fit together so well and I don't like the fact that it bends the rods slightly.  I used this design instead for the center x carriage:  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:162565.  It's one solid piece that holds onto the bearings tightly with electrical ties.  You also do not need the M3 x 50mm rods anymore.

The combination of Lawsy's y carriages and fts_lts's center carriage works really well for me.  The only downside is that I had to shave off part of the carriage where it interfered with the right side y carriage.  No big deal though.

+1 on this configuration. Sorry lawsy, but the 3-piece wasn't fitting well for me either. I did my best!! This other cable-tie assembly single-piece job is solid and really quick to assemble, has plenty of room for the tensioning bolt (one side only), and doesn't need the super-long mounting bolts. You do have to watch out for the x-stop: I bent the switch lever rather a lot to get it to trigger before the two carriages contacted, but you don't lose any useful printing area as a result of the offset. I think I'll be updating the right/idler y-carriage to push the switch out a bit further for the future.

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper

I used that one too, but did not try lawys's. I printed his but it didnt come out well (for some reason I forget what) and I just went with the 3-bearing since I prefered anyway (I think 3 bearings should be plenty)

I was going to modify it to see if I could get a bit more Z-height. I run a bowden and there's a decent amount of wasted space (but I don't know how much room is really there.

I'm just trying to hammer out the X belt then I'm back up and running. The X carriage was hard to move and appeared to slightly bend the rods until I put the Y belts on. Now the X travles SUPER smooth, whereas I need to use force to move the Y...Maybe adding the X belt will fix this.

Would printing these parts in PLA be a bad idea? Its all I have currently.

Ulitmaker 2, a few repraps, Custom Big FFF 3D printer with heated chamber.

My Blog http://ggalisky.weebly.com/
My Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXShYo … aDUpebDAOw

166 (edited by grob 2014-07-12 10:32:39)

Ggalisky wrote:

Would printing these parts in PLA be a bad idea? Its all I have currently.

It's in general not the best idea. The parts will definitely creep, possibly melt at the temperatures imposed on them by things like the x-motor. If you're desperate you could as a temporary measure, but the level of desperation I'm thinking of involves the printer not functioning so you'd have a bit of a catch-22 to deal with first. smile

I'd suggest a roll of ABS just for these kind of things is no bad thing to own...

Hi nlancaster,  I used Ebay bearings with my Lawsy carriages and they are a little noisy but they hold all the adjustments so well I have come to like the noise It sounds like a machine doing what a machine does .  Thanks again Lawsy for your great work
    Bill D

SD3, RAMPS 1.4, Lawsy's carriages modified by me, 2 SSRs, E3D V6, 2 Power supplies, Independent monitoring of both power supplies (amps and volts) also extruder and bed temps, Blue Tooth connectivity, bearings in all axis & rotational points, Y axis direct drive.  Remotely controlled power box on / off . Gecko Tec build plate . Renamed FrankenDoodle

This maybe my next upgrade as I can't seem to escape Y-axis shift with my SD2 of late, at best I can delay it a few prints.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

LdyMox wrote:

This maybe my next upgrade as I can't seem to escape Y-axis shift with my SD2 of late, at best I can delay it a few prints.

Humor me - reduce your speed 15% using the Feedrate slider in RH's manual tab ....

I could, but I am not really going that fast to begin with. Just standard speeds. Plus this has occured recently after no issues with it for a year on the Y-axis shift. I assume wear and tear.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Well since it's happening at beginning of layers maybe I should try just turning down my travel speeds. Hmm I have not tried that.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

172 (edited by adrian 2014-07-30 12:45:28)

LdyMox wrote:

I could, but I am not really going that fast to begin with. Just standard speeds. Plus this has occured recently after no issues with it for a year on the Y-axis shift. I assume wear and tear.

Was precisely the point I was looking to troubleshoot wink Its not the speed your running at, its rather, reducing the speed reduces the forces acting on the 'slop' on the bushings... This will enable you to determine if its binding against the rail or the busings (which are 'self-centering' but often bind themselves at odd angles - and the further up or down the Y-axis you are the more issues it poses...)

Anyway... sounds like you have a plan and will execute that.. so carry on smile

173 (edited by LdyMox 2014-07-31 12:32:51)

Ok. I am tired of Y-axis shift and am doing this hack. So the only non-printable thing I need is LM8UU bearings X8?

Hopefully doing this hack will just fix those shift issues. I found some LM8UU bearings on ebay and ordered them.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

174 (edited by LdyMox 2014-07-31 12:39:55)

Adrian, which part are the busings? And as a side note the Y-axis shift seems to more likley happen the larger the object is along the X axis AKA takes up more of the print bed.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

The bronze colored sintered round things...

They look like this http://www.qbcbearings.com/BuyRFQ/Press … _CSR_I.htm and are the same as what supports the Y-Axis Link-Rod in the frame.