Topic: Printable x and y carriage replacements (Level 2 - Techie Consumer)

Completely printable x and y carriages for Solidoodle. Uses LM8UU bearings (x8) with parts clipping on for convenience and easy assembly/disassembly.

Glides smoothly without lube and offers adjustment for x-axis belt tension. Original axis travel maintained. More room for extruder fans. Highly recommended to print as a spare at least.

Should work for Solidoodle 2 and 3 with longer x-axis smooth rods.

Step by step instructions available on Thingiverse link.

21/9/13 update

I have uploaded slightly updated versions today. Found in the original Thingiverse link and marked with '_2', they feature:

- Slight thickening and ribbing to increase strength
- Nut traps moved inwards slightly to increase strength
- End stop holes enlarged to 2mm diameter
- Holes in the centre pieces moved outwards slightly in anticipation of under carriage 30mm fan duct

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:104059

http://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/b0/ad/89/d0/63/WP_20130615_006_preview_featured.jpg

http://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/c5/26/bf/cc/e4/new_carriage_EXPLODED_display_large.jpg

Re: Printable x and y carriage replacements (Level 2 - Techie Consumer)

Nice stuff! You aren't finding any binding issues with the doubled-up bearings ?

None at all. It slides very smoothly.

Are you using the existing Nema 14 for X axis? or is that a Nema 17 upgrade?

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Standard Nema 14.

I purchased a replacement Nema 14 but didn't read the specs closely enough. I later discovered it was under-rated compared to the standard stepper.

You got bitten by the 0.8amps too ? wink

I'll print these up tonight and give them a run

7 (edited by nlancaster 2013-06-15 06:20:44)

Looks great.  Now you make me want to do that....

Also maybe we could use these instead of the double bearings?

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit13844

Would be very easy to design this for a nema 17 size x-axis motor.

Regarding that longer bearing, the left and right carriages are designed to have a little gap between the two bearings, so the longer nearing wouldn't fit without modification.

The centre pieces will be fine however.

9 (edited by nlancaster 2013-06-15 08:36:33)

Your making me want to do a version for the long bearing..... smile

But this is a really great rengineering of the solidoodle designs.  Love it.

BTW, where did you get your LM8UU?

10 (edited by adrian 2013-06-15 10:09:45)

Hey lawsy - Did you definitely use LM8UU or did you use LME8UU ...

I've just printed this up, and the LM8UU's are loose, but the slightly larger Euro-Spec LME8UU works fine, infact snaps in quite nicely...

LME8UU are 16x25x8 (Euro and Aus Spec) where as LM8UU (US + Japan Spec) are 15x24x8 ....

I ask because my 8mm rod holes are *perfect*... so I wonder if its the LM vs LME issue on the bearings... thankfully I have both and the LME work a treat..

The bearings in my 3D model are 15mm diameter so the carriage is designed for the standard LM8UUs.

Like I said in the Thingiverse instructions, its worth turning up the flow rate when printing them to keep everything snug.

I'm glad to see carriages with bearings all around to get rid of the slop.  The Teflon was a good idea for preventing over constrainment bu it just isn't stable enough.  My wish list for replacement carriages at this point is a repositioning of the x belt so the hot end can be mounted between the rods instead of mounted on the front.   It would make it easier to adapt other hot ends and extruders to the Solidoodle.

The double bearings is how you get rid of the binding.  Excellent work lawsy!

This is now #1 on my Solidoodle to-hack list!

Damn it! Heated bed upgrade or this? Just when I think I've finished for a while...

op7ical wrote:

This is now #1 on my Solidoodle to-hack list!

^
Yeah.  That.  Outstanding work...

Anyone have any good recommendations for buying LM8UUs in USA?  I looked around a bit, but it's hard to judge quality from various places or how much I should expect to pay.  The VXB website had some but they didn't have good reviews.

I found these on Amazon, and one user says just buy way more than you need and you'll get enough "good" ones:
http://www.amazon.com/10pcs-Linear-Bear … ords=lm8uu

I bought some on ebay a while back.. I think it was like 12 for $15 or $20 shipped.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Question Lawsy. 

What is the centerline distance from the y-axis rod to the center line of the y-axis belt, in the x-axis plane.

On my model I measure 10mm. Originally I had it shorter and the belt wasn't quite aligned. Current version seems to line up nicely.

21 (edited by adrian 2013-06-16 14:02:21)

Thanks heaps for this Lawsy. Whilst I've been working with a few different setups, yours is quite nice.

Not entirely sold on the 3 piece x-carriage still, but this design is probably the best solution so far.

Tips for others: If you use the original limit switch screws, drill out the Limit Switch holes first, as its *very* easy to split the carriage as the threads are perpindicular to the print-layers...

Heres some pics of it installed on my SD3.. And yes I need a new Mk4 mount ... :
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3695/9056262015_7b72976da5_z.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3809/9058487170_15d7d31bf3_z.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2829/9058489458_1eef00ab97_z.jpg

Glad to see it's SD3 compatible.

I went for the three piece solutions because originally a single centre piece clipped on from above but the amount of play was ridiculous. The three piece is designed to push towards the front and back and hug the bearing when the top piece comes in.

Damn lawsy good job again  ... oh well rebuild is unevitable ... bearings ordered big_smile
( now i'm thinking ordering 600mm shafts instead, and rebuild whole case to expand hotbed 450x200mm ) roll

PERFECT. Thanks man! Excited to get back to my printer (I'm in a different state for a month.) This lowers the barrier to trying major mods, like moving the X and Y axis outside of the chamber for a better heated chamber.

Question Lawsy, and or anyone that has done this mod. how loud are the linear bearings. I have heard from several places they can be a bit loud.

And how about some video of one of these modded machines rocking and rolling?