Re: Printable x and y carriage replacements (Level 2 - Techie Consumer)

I'll stick with tape.

I'm confused why a drop of epoxy wouldn't be a better solution. but will obey. :-)

Haha don't just obey - it's a valid question, and deserves an answer I think.

It's about alignment - the tradeoff (in pretty much any motion system) for making something really rigid is it also has to be really accurate to not bind up (think CNC machines and ballscrews). By leaving a little room for the bearings to move (less, but still just a tiny bit flexible with a layer or two of tape), it will self-align by itself. Epoxy is pretty fixed and rigid, so if you get it even a smidge out of line initially it will run really rough...

The flexibility even with the tape will be very low compared to the bed and frame movement - this and the cost probably being the main reasons there aren't a whole bunch of "metal carriage" mods for the solidoodles. smile

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

What is the proper length and diameter  for the X rods? I'll be damned if I can find them on Solidoodle's site.

Thanks

Scott

If on an SD3 or 4 they are 334mm long and 8mm diameter.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Can anybody give me screw size info for the m3s I need for the latest carriage? I am putting a mcmaster order together and want to toss on the screws

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

231 (edited by jagowilson 2015-05-04 17:34:12)

TheBaron wrote:

Can anybody give me screw size info for the m3s I need for the latest carriage? I am putting a mcmaster order together and want to toss on the screws

50mm M3 is the only hard to find size you will need. Make sure they are threaded all the way through. Might as well pick up 16mm M3s if you don't have any, they're cheap and I feel like this one box i bought will never run out. 20mm M3s come in handy for certain parts like the extruder, which I think requires that 4 extra mm to reach the motor.

If you're cutting the belts yourself, some 30mm M3s are good to have around in case you cut too short.

I can't seem to find fully threaded 50s anywhere.

McMaster doesn't have them.

Or do they not need to be socket head?

I would go button head if you can't find socketed. Keep in mind, though, that button heads often use a smaller wrench size, so if you use 2.5mm for socketed your button heads will use 2mm. I can't think of a situation where button head wouldn't work.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

235 (edited by jagowilson 2015-05-04 18:17:14)

I have never found fully-threaded 50mm socket cap M3s, I'm not sure they are really a thing, I've searched pretty extensively. Get a pan head phillips, it will work just fine. I wouldn't use a button head, remember you have to turn a 50mm bolt all the way through. Not exactly fun with a tiny allen key, especially if you end up needing some torque. They also strip really easily in my experience. I had to take a drill to some button heads on an SD2 I just got--stripped the head trying to remove some bolts held in with red loctite. Probably wouldn't have stripped them if they were normal socket caps.

236 (edited by TheBaron 2015-05-04 18:51:18)

jagowilson wrote:

I have never found fully-threaded 50mm socket cap M3s, I'm not sure they are really a thing, I've searched pretty extensively. Get a pan head phillips, it will work just fine. I wouldn't use a button head, remember you have to turn a 50mm bolt all the way through. Not exactly fun with a tiny allen key, especially if you end up needing some torque. They also strip really easily in my experience. I had to take a drill to some button heads on an SD2 I just got--stripped the head trying to remove some bolts held in with red loctite. Probably wouldn't have stripped them if they were normal socket caps.

Red loctite isn't supposed to come loose without being heated to 500F; I've twisted the head clean off of socketed cap screws that were red threadlocked. Then again, I've also been able to break them loose with very little trouble; depends on if the original person actually cleaned and installed the screws properly.

Edit: Also, phillips is designed specifically to cam out at high torque. I hate phillips head almost as much as I hate flat head. Almost.

237 (edited by jagowilson 2015-05-04 18:57:37)

Not a chance. This is solidoodle. The bolt was just smothered in red loctite and thrown in place. Fire didn't work, but I did try that first! A combination of the tiny Allen key making it hard to get torque, and slipping easily, made that one pesky bolt.

Point being, I avoid button heads and get a socket cap or Phillips when possible wink The worst possible bolt choice though is the flat head, in my opinion. Not recommended if your bolt is even slightly difficult to reach or see.

I have way too many scars on my hands from a slipping flat head jabbing me. I'm not a fan of phillips, but damn do I hate flat heads more.

I love the "throw threadlock on it, it will be fine" attitude you see sometimes. My favorite was being onsite at a customer a while back to find they used brown loctite to hold a bolt in place.

brown loctite is a pipe dope; it's not a threadlocker at all.

wardjr wrote:

If on an SD3 or 4 they are 334mm long and 8mm diameter.

It is an SD4

I should ask about Y then as well, as that is 14mm shorter than I had seen elsewhere. :-/

Collecting up the bolt list, so no huge take apart is necessary

50mm M3 (full thread, you'll end up with pan head phillips)
20mm M3
16mm M3

unknown
M5 bolt (pink from the extruder - anyone have the length?) and does it require a nut and washer

Length of the four M3 bolts in Step 5?
Length of M3 in Step 6

Is it worth converting to GT2 belts at the same time for the X axis?

What parts are different?

Collecting up the bolt list, so no huge take apart is necessary
50mm M3 (full thread, you'll end up with pan head phillips)
20mm M3
16mm M3
unknown
M5 bolt (Appears to be 47mm long including the head) if it's the one I think (pink from the extruder - anyone have the length?) and does it require a nut and washer

Length of the four M3 bolts in Step 5?
Length of M3 in Step 6

FYI both Amazon and McMaster Carr seem to have 50mm, full thread socket head. I ordered them. I may have a couple of extra sets of bolts to trade when things finally show up.

Hello guys,
really nice thread post and coments!!!
could anyone make a video tutorial of how to do all the steps??
because i am from Brazil and some of the words are a bit confusing!!
thank you!!
can wait to upgrade my SD4

Just a word of caution about re-using the stock SD smooth rods... I re-used the Y rods initially and am now paying a price for it. They are NOT hardened and the bearings have worn some nasty little gouges in them causing issues with my prints.

We did replace the X rods right off the bat, not wanting to destroy the stock carriages to get those rods out. Purchased a nice 8mm case hardened, chrome plated rod  that was 30 in long & we cut to appropriate length ourselves.

the X rods show absolutely NO wear. The Y rods (original SD rods), however, are in bad shape.

Luckily, I had purchased another 30in length of the good rod for use on a 2nd SD4 - that one will have to wait until I can get more ordered as the current piece is being appropriated for the 1st printer to get it back up and running.

for anyone interested, this is the rod we ordered: http://www.amazon.com/Linear-Motion-Len … ds=8mm+rod

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Any thoughts on incorporating this belt tensioner design into the carriages?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:793499

I'm not crazy about the current method of securing the belts to the carriages. And I'd also like to reprint my pulley holders to remove the adjustment screws because I think it's just a bad design to have to adjust two screws on each one. It's more of a pain to adjust belt tension and the belt also wants to skew left or right if you don't get the pulley perfectly parallel with the y-axis rod.

Solidoodle Workbench Apprentice
M5 replacement z-axis rod, PEI bed

247 (edited by jagowilson 2015-09-30 01:21:46)

chancrescolex wrote:

Any thoughts on incorporating this belt tensioner design into the carriages?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:793499

I'm not crazy about the current method of securing the belts to the carriages. And I'd also like to reprint my pulley holders to remove the adjustment screws because I think it's just a bad design to have to adjust two screws on each one. It's more of a pain to adjust belt tension and the belt also wants to skew left or right if you don't get the pulley perfectly parallel with the y-axis rod.

That design is pretty similar to what the Lawsy carriages actually do. If you upgrade to Lawsy's carriages you will have to cut your belts, punch holes in them and replace the front idlers. Those front idlers are a source of slop because as you speculate the design is terrible. The Lawsy design is very precise and you should be able to get both belts perfectly tensioned without worrying about the rod being dragged by an uneven pulley. I printed on belts for almost a year (at speeds >150mm/s) before I switched to fishing line and you have nothing to worry about, they won't break under Lawsy's design.

EDIT: I almost forgot, pirvan did a belt tensioner design for SD carriages:
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/8977/alt … ng-method/

Anyone have thoughts on using these Igus DryLin bearings in place of the LM8UU? They are advertised specifically for 3D printer linear motion.

http://www.igus.eu/wpck/12157/Motek14_N … lager?L=en

Solidoodle Workbench Apprentice
M5 replacement z-axis rod, PEI bed

Is this the correct bearings to get? Just want to make sure.http://www.amazon.com/Sprite-Science-Li … ords=LM8UU

Yep! As many others have mentioned, it may be wise to order a few extra as some are of poor quality or have a bad bearing or two. I've found it is very useful to have some extra lying around anyway.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!