Re: Printable x and y carriage replacements (Level 2 - Techie Consumer)

Hello Lawsy
i have a doodle 3 and
i would like to put the right X belt pulley on a 5mm shaft which will be held by two 5x16 bearings located just where the current X pulley "shaft"-screw is now held by the rcarriage.

I was trying to fiddle with sketchup you have provided, but i am gving up now, seems timpossible  to do for me.

would it be possible for you to incorporate 2 holes for a 16mm ball bearings instead of the 5mm holes for the screw into the right carriage?
that would be so awesome!!!

to my mods so far:
I have changed all other bearings on the doodle to ball bearings, using a lsomewhat longer 6mm shaft and adapers(see attached .scad) to put the bearings just outside of the 12mm hole.
i have also replaced the wobbling plastic pulley holders with a new 5 mm front shaft using the existing unused 12mm holes in the front top of the frame. i am using a 5x16 bearing on each side to hold the shaft. i have also aligned and fixed the front Y pulleys to the new front shaft and the results are just great! practically no Y-lash even with 120mm/s printing. and this with the stock doodle carriages.
so now  i hope to improve x positioning accuracy as well by adding the x pulley bearings and your carriages.
Peter

Post's attachments

bearingholder.scad 659 b, 14 downloads since 2014-08-06 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

OK lawsy must be busy. anybody with enough sketchup practice who can helpme realizing the mod?
it would be so very awesome!
Peter

I'll take a look at it in a couple of hours.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Thanks in advance wardjr!

Don't thank me yet wink
Can you send that in anything other than .scad?

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

hello  wardjr, the scad thingy is a different part i have designed,

the part by lawsy i need to get modified  is at thingyverse.
it is the only downloadable  file in the .skp  format at
---thingiverse.com/thing:104059
Peter

Gotcha, what diameter bearing you want in there?

16 mm diameter. it  is 5mm high (should be no problem though if sticks out smth like 1 to 1.5 mm if needed)
i need one bearing at the top and one at the bottom to hold the shaft on which the right pulley will sit
Peter

Here you go
That top bearing is going to hang down about 1.5 mm's as it will hit the barrel for the adjustment bolts.

Post's attachments

wardjr_linearbearing_right_x-axis.skp 197.93 kb, 8 downloads since 2014-08-12 

wardjr_linearbearing_right_x-axis.stl 92.37 kb, 37 downloads since 2014-08-12 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

forgot to mention... you will loose some x-axis travel and you'll want to pay close attention to the end stop switch.

hello wardjr
a lot of thanks! will try to print it tomorrow.
once it is all assemlbled i will need to make pictures of my complete sd3 ball bearing conversion and give it back to soliforum community.
again thanks for making it possible

Peter

No problem, I hope it works like you think it will.  I would think smaller bearings may be a better fit for that location.

Ok printed fine,
Thanks again wardjr,
now i need to figure out why Lawsys carriages x rod holes are closer to each other than the stock onces  (missing about 2% on X) ,while the linear bearings are still too loose (having about 2% too much on Z and Y).   
kind of affraid the center and the endcarriages will not fit togeher with all that prestrething/predeforming in repetier.
so that i am too worried to break the old carriages to extract the X rods.
I have also read here somewhere  they are actually too soft to go with LM8UU. i would raher by new rods, anybody knows what kind of steel works best and perhaps where to get it in germany?
Peter

As long as the left and the right sides match up you should be fine.  Most of us wrap the bearings with some tape to take up any play.  The rods can be anything hard like tool steel as long as they are straight and dimensionally accurate.

ok i see i was worried the tape around LM8UU will take away too much stiffness and will make y carriage rotate/wobble in the XY plane, but i am probably too perfectionist in that...
so now i will need to get the 8mm rods next.

By the way, could you point me to a post describing the advantages of the fishing line over belts, i saw your mod but not sure what to expect of it.  i have an oscillation in the extruded filament width with about 2.5-3.5 mm period seemingly independent of the direction its layed out, i wonder if this comes from the teeth on the X and Y belts.

That sounds more like over extrusion to me but it's possible I misunderstood.
As far as posts search the word Spectra or look at 2n2r5's posts I think he did a write up about it.  I personally prefer Sufix brand 80 Lb test.
I know Ian Johnson covered it in a post as well.

ok thanks i will have a look then

My bearings will be here by Friday. I'll start printing the carriage parts. I've also got 6 Noctua fans waiting, might as well do it at the same time. Need a couple of mounts for the steppers that don't have fans.

Is there a walkthru of how to disassemble/re-assemble the printer, or is it pretty intuitive?

Stock SD4 with 3/16" glass attached to stock (kapton-covered) bed with Aquanet.

eflyguy wrote:

My bearings will be here by Friday. I'll start printing the carriage parts. I've also got 6 Noctua fans waiting, might as well do it at the same time. Need a couple of mounts for the steppers that don't have fans.

Is there a walkthru of how to disassemble/re-assemble the printer, or is it pretty intuitive?

I think it is fairly intuitive but that depends on your ability smile

Yeah, I figured that was the wrong question to ask of a bunch of makers!!!! lol..

You'll figure it out... You can always ask if you have specific questions.

OK, one more question!! Can I arrange all of these parts to print at once, or should I do them one at a time?

That's totally up to you.  The only thing that really matters is that you print with 100% infill using ABS.

Ah, crap. Forgot to change the infill! Only one small part, though, because I want to ensure the bearings are a good fit before doing the rest.

(1x) 12-Pack LM8UU Bearings
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ED150S … 00_TE_item

(2x) 8mm x 30" Shaft
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002BBF9S … 00_TE_item

Rods are spendy but a little more than the McMaster set (I saved on shipping) - we'll see if it's any good.

Solidoodle 2 Pro - 3mm Glass Bed