Topic: Alternate belt tensioning method

I've been using Lawsy's carriage ends for a while, and they work quite well, however they belt tensioning method was the same as the original.

So we always tried to balance the tension in the two belts by ear, by feel, by plucking it like a string, and even using weight scales.  Yet I think I have a simpler solution.

The method below, uses a clamping piece to hold the belt in place.  The clamps are grooved and when clamped on top of the belt they engage the belt teeth and hold it in place.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=7210

Calibration couldn't be easier.  Simply cut the two belts to the same exact length, and when you tension them make sure the same number of teeth stick past the edges of the clamps on both sides.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=7211

Post's attachments

belt clamp 2.jpg
belt clamp 2.jpg 84.65 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

belt clamp.jpg
belt clamp.jpg 116.67 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Re: Alternate belt tensioning method

Great idea. Can you post the stls?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Nice work! Looks tidy!

With the tensioning, is there the chance that the axle-axle distance of the pulleys on each side is not always exactly the same (e.g. slight twist in the frame, alignment of front pulley idler blocks)? I'd think that due to the stiffness of the reinforced belts, they would be quite sensitive to a very small change in length like this... Do we maybe need to still tune out the last little bit? How even have yours got?

On a side note, I like the simplicity (and possibly extra rigidity) of the push-in holes for the bearings... Does this work well?
What do you see are the advantages/disadvantages relative to the clip-in style of the lawsy design? I'm tempted to update mine soon and it looks like a good move...

/questions big_smile

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

4 (edited by pirvan 2015-01-01 08:45:32)

I measured the distance between the front bearing and the back rod centerlines, and they're identical on both sides (302 mm).

The frames themselves are stamped from sheet metal and machine folded, so they're pretty consistent in terms of dimensionality.  Additionally, if any frame twisting occurs, you just end up with a parallelogram, but the length of the sides won't change.

I printed all the parts, but have yet to install these blocks on my printer, but I'll probably be doing it in the next few weeks.  As for the "enclosed" bearings, I already use a similar design on my printhead carriage, and it's never been a problem.

As for the STL's, there are 4 models:  The clamp, 4 required (2 per end block), the right side block, and the left side block. 

For the left block motor mount, I also printed an additional bottom ring.  It's printed flat, so it has much better sheer strength to resist the pull of the head carriage belt on the motor.  So once you print the block and the motor ring, just line it up, and glue it at the bottom.

EDIT:  NOTES:
The clamps are held in place with 3mm socket head screws no longer than 8mm.  The holes in the block are undersized (2.5mm), so the screws will simply thread in, no nuts needed.

At the bottom of the each block, there are 2, 2.5mm holes.  They are there for optional grub screws. 

The holes for the rods are 8mm, so they should be a tight fit for the smooth rods, however I like to drill out the hole slightly to so the rods can be removed easy, and I use grub screws to keep them in place.  Your choice.

The right side carriage also has the mount point on the side for the end stop.

Last but not least... 

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!
Post's attachments

X Carriage - belt clamp x4.stl 90.9 kb, 62 downloads since 2015-01-01 

X Carriage - Left (main body).stl 1.28 mb, 72 downloads since 2015-01-01 

X Carriage - Left (motor mount).stl 283.87 kb, 71 downloads since 2015-01-01 

X Carriage - Right.STL 616.49 kb, 51 downloads since 2015-01-01 

Where was this 3 days ago when I was rebuilding my y carriage and snapped a belt by accident wink  Just had this discussion with a friend about finding a better way to tensioning.  THank you for posting this!!!

SD3, Lawsy Carriages with GT2 belts on x axis, BLTouch, Bondtech BMG extruder, E3D v6 via bowden, MIC6 bed with 200W heater w/SSR relay and a RUMBA controller

6 (edited by mloebl 2015-01-01 15:18:54)

BTW any thoughts to increasing the thickness of the mounting section for the x motor?  Someone on here a few months back posted a modified lawsy carriage but thickened the bottom mounting area to reduce warping caused by the hot motor (though having a fan should theoretically help.)  Thanks!

EDIT:  Found what I was talking about: http://www.soliforum.com/topic/5118/sol … gs/page/3/

SD3, Lawsy Carriages with GT2 belts on x axis, BLTouch, Bondtech BMG extruder, E3D v6 via bowden, MIC6 bed with 200W heater w/SSR relay and a RUMBA controller

7 (edited by pirvan 2015-01-01 16:50:30)

I never found a problem with warping, I did find a problem with the original Lawsy mount tearing due to the constant lateral forces.

Because of the print orientation, the mount separated at one of the layer joints.  So I printed just the bottom part of the mount, but this time I printed it flat so the layers stack at 90° to the pull forces.  Glued that to the bottom of the carriage and never looked back since.

The carriage STLs I posted follow that same design.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=7216

Post's attachments

belt clamp 3.jpg
belt clamp 3.jpg 108.4 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Are you going to use LM8UU bearings?The ones that I have measure 15mm OD If try to force then in the carriage starts to crack.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

9 (edited by mloebl 2015-01-02 00:37:05)

pirvan wrote:

I never found a problem with warping, I did find a problem with the original Lawsy mount tearing due to the constant lateral forces.

Gotcha, thanks!

10 (edited by pirvan 2015-01-02 03:52:45)

satman49 wrote:

Are you going to use LM8UU bearings?The ones that I have measure 15mm OD If try to force then in the carriage starts to crack.

I did use LM8UU.  After I printed the parts, I used a little round file to remove some of the burring inside, and to enlarge the hole a bit.  It's supposed to be a tight fit, but not enough to crack the part.

I my particular case, I didn't need to remove much material, but if your extrusion is a bit heavy, you might have to remove a bit more.

The holes are currently 15.1mm diameter, and the bearings are 15.0mm.  I can enlarge the holes a bit if you need, but I need to know how much. 

NOTE:  You can wrap some sandpaper around a AA battery, and use it to sand the inside.  The battery diameter is 14mm, so with the sandpaper, it should be just about 15mm.

BTW, for the left carriage block, make sure you mount the motor first, before inserting the linear bearings, or you won't have access to the 2 inset screws.

I'm expecting some flanged bearings next week for my back "Y" Rod, so I'll take that opportunity to also change the carriages and the print head.  Meanwhile here are my prints of the complete "X" carriage.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=7218

Post's attachments

belt clamp 4.jpg
belt clamp 4.jpg 252.8 kb, 8 downloads since 2015-01-02 

This is really cool. Thanks.
For tigthening the belts, do we just to pull it with our hand before tightening the clamp?

Solidoodle 4

pirvan wrote:

EDIT:  NOTES:
The clamps are held in place with 3mm socket head screws no longer than 8mm.  The holes in the block are undersized (2.5mm), so the screws will simply thread in, no nuts needed.

Very nice work, but do you anticipate any durability issues with this?  It seems the whole carriage will be shot as soon as you either overtighten a bolt or assemble it more than a couple times, which could easily happen if it takes a few tried to get the tension right?  I have had issues with stripping screw holes into ABS before, so I am skeptical that this would work long term.  Would it be practical to somehow mod it to have a nut trap?

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

13 (edited by pirvan 2015-01-02 19:00:52)

redbarret wrote:

This is really cool. Thanks.
For tigthening the belts, do we just to pull it with our hand before tightening the clamp?

That's the idea.  Just make sure the same number of teeth stick out on both the right side and the left side carriages.  That's your calibration.

mdrVB6 wrote:

Very nice work, but do you anticipate any durability issues with this?  It seems the whole carriage will be shot as soon as you either overtighten a bolt or assemble it more than a couple times, which could easily happen if it takes a few tried to get the tension right?  I have had issues with stripping screw holes into ABS before, so I am skeptical that this would work long term.  Would it be practical to somehow mod it to have a nut trap?

No, I don't anticipate problems with the screw stripping the ABS unless you remove it a dozen times or so.  This (the tensioning) is supposed to be done once or twice, then done. 

As far the tension on the clamp, it's not a concern because the belt pulls on it side ways, and the screw holds the clamp down vertically.  If the pull was in the direction of the screw, it would be a problem, but it's not.

Anyway, based on the comments I got so far, I made a few mods, and here are the new, version 2.0 STLs.
Changes:

• Bearing hole diameter was enlarged slightly (15.24mm).  If your extrusion is .48mm (.40mm nozzle), this should give you a perfect hole for the bearing.

• Trapped nut holes for the clamp screws

Post's attachments

X Carriage - Left - Alt.STL 1.31 mb, 51 downloads since 2015-01-02 

X Carriage - Right - Alt.STL 692.46 kb, 35 downloads since 2015-01-02 

Nice!  I want your cad skills.  Just curious- what program do you use and do you do this professionally or is it just a hobby for you?

Anyway, my solidoodle has been working great with the Lawsy carriages and I didn't think I would find anything that would motivate me to take it apart unless something breaks but I think this will be it.

Would you recommend printing this in ABS or nylon?

mdrVB6 wrote:

Nice!  I want your cad skills.  Just curious- what program do you use and do you do this professionally or is it just a hobby for you?

Anyway, my solidoodle has been working great with the Lawsy carriages and I didn't think I would find anything that would motivate me to take it apart unless something breaks but I think this will be it.

Would you recommend printing this in ABS or nylon?

I use Solidworks. 

I'm the Product Design Engineer for a computer company, and I do occasionally have to design enclosures, adapters, mounts, stands and such.  But it's not my day to day job.

As for what material to use, I can only print ABS and PLA, and I can't stand PLA, so for me there's only one choice.  If I could use Nylon, I might consider that.  I would assume it's probably more sturdy and resilient to heat than ABS.  BUt I don't have any experience with it, so I can't advise you on that.

I printed all my parts in ABS with 50% infill.

16 (edited by redbarret 2015-01-02 21:46:00)

Just letting everyone know: newer batches of Solidoodle 4 (and maybe Workbench series will too) have a slightly modified X carriage design which uses a 3d printed clamping piece to attach the belts to the carriage. Unlike this mod though it's for closed loop belts and isn't made up of two pieces like pirvan's design to allow to tension both belts equally by seeing how many teeth  are out, instead it uses two screws on the front brackets to tighten the belt by moving the front pulleys front or back instead, which I think is a terrible way of belt tensioning because you not only have hard time making both belts same tension but also have hard time making the pulley perfectly parallel too because you move it front or back with two screws on each side, not one.

But I will say that from few months using this carriage, I haven't had any problem with the belt teeth wearing off or not staying in place. 3d printed clamps work just fine.

@pirvan: would you consider to post or maybe allow me if you don't have the time to repost your mods on Thingiverse?

Solidoodle 4

redbarret wrote:

would you consider to post or maybe allow me if you don't have the time to repost your mods on Thingiverse?

Thingiverse is a primarily a Makerbot site, and I feel that anything related to Solidoodle should be on a Solidoodle centric web site like this. 

I don't have a problem posting non-Solidoodle related items to Thingiverse, but this stuff should stay here.

18 (edited by redbarret 2015-01-02 22:18:37)

Fair enough.
I just thought since most of the mods like the original printable carriage this mod is based off of, printable extruder, and direct drive mount and many other solidoodle mods are there it would make sense to have this there as well so people could find it easier. Don't think an internet forum (that requires registration for downloading, is not as well organized) is a very good place for this.
But I get your point.

Solidoodle 4

redbarret wrote:

Just letting everyone know: newer batches of Solidoodle 4 (and maybe Workbench series will too) have a slightly modified X carriage design which uses a 3d printed clamping piece to attach the belts to the carriage. Unlike this mod though it's for closed loop belts and isn't made up of two pieces like pirvan's design to allow to tension both belts equally by seeing how many teeth  are out, instead it uses two screws on the front brackets to tighten the belt by moving the front pulleys front or back instead, which I think is a terrible way of belt tensioning because you not only have hard time making both belts same tension but also have hard time making the pulley perfectly parallel too because you move it front or back with two screws on each side, not one.

But I will say that from few months using this carriage, I haven't had any problem with the belt teeth wearing off or not staying in place. 3d printed clamps work just fine.

Any way you could post a picture of this setup?  I'm just curious what it looks like and I'm considering a workbench printer.  I might email SD to see if this is the case.

20 (edited by redbarret 2015-01-02 22:56:08)

Sure, I'll take some photos soon.

Solidoodle 4

Pirvan, what belt pattern is that in the belt holder clip piece?  GT2 or stock solidoodle?  I'm not sure if they are close enough to mix and match with enough tension on them.

I measured my spare belt which is a GT2, but I also checked the MXL belt and other than the profile of the teeth (trapezoid vs. involute), the 2 belts are nearly identical (tooth spacing, width of tooth and thickness of belt cord. 

Since the clamp engagement is for locking down the belt, not motion smoothness, or backlash minimalization, these clams should work on either belt type.

I've got the left side printing now, but I just had an idea.  Perhaps instead of having the nut trap "enter" from the inside of the carriage (referenced from when it is assembled), maybe have it enter from the front and back?  This would allow the contact area between the belt clamps and the carriage to be larger and unbroken.  You probably have enough plastic there to make it work, but if not you could make the whole thing slightly taller.  It might not even matter as you might have plenty of contact area even with the nut traps taking out some of it.  I have not tested anything yet either.

Here you go.

Post's attachments

X Carriage - Left - Alt2.STL 1.15 mb, 59 downloads since 2015-01-04 

X Carriage - Right - Alt2.STL 691.68 kb, 40 downloads since 2015-01-04 

Awesome, nice work again!  You just gave me an excuse to run the printer overnight to crank these out.  The left one that I tried turned out well.  If only I had not been so impatient, I wouldn't have broken a clamp trying to get it on.