Topic: Is it worth trying to keep my Solidoodle 2 going?

TLDR My main question: Is it possible to modify my old Solidoodle 2 to a point where it is a stable pleasant to use printer for less than it would cost to buy one of the newer $200 (apparently good) cheapo printers?

Backstory: Got the printer when it came out in 2011-2012? (I think it was around then?) Fought and learned how to use it, and how to manage most of its quirks, but still always had to babysit it, which was ok as I had a job where it was in front of me and I was able to monitor it all workday long. Then 2014 comes along and I get a new job working for a mold making and casting material supplier. I no longer have time to mess with it, and rarely attempt to use it. Also learning to make rubber molds and resin casting kinda made me lose interest in fighting with a 3D printer. Ive now moved into a house with a great closed in air conditioned shop space, and I am setting up the Solidoodle 2 in there with the rest of my tools. I would like to have a printer I can just turn on and print a small part without a fight.

I am willing to put in some time and DIY work if I can get that old monster to the point where it is simple to use. But if it is going to cost more than $250 I don't see the point, when I can get an off the shelf ready to use the machine.

Re: Is it worth trying to keep my Solidoodle 2 going?

I should also note that thanks to my job, I can mold and cast parts for this thing in vastly better materials than the 3d printed stock parts. Which I am considering for the crappy acrylic extruder plates.

i would get rid of that garbage jig saw extruder. keep the machine

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

If you always had to babysit it, don't bother. I have collection of so called "cheap Chinese crap" printer and I have no need to babysit  any of those once mod and calibrated. I would recommend Ender-3-CR10S with depend on how much money you want to spend on it.

If most stability issue comes from extruder/hotend, consider covert it to a laser engraver or pen plotter.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

yizhou.he wrote:

If you always had to babysit it, don't bother. I have collection of so called "cheap Chinese crap" printer and I have no need to babysit  any of those once mod and calibrated. I would recommend Ender-3-CR10S with depend on how much money you want to spend on it.

If most stability issue comes from extruder/hotend, consider covert it to a laser engraver or pen plotter.

trolls gonna troll. He doesnt have any experience with a solidoodle so dont listen to him. A couple upgrades will have it purring

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

Most of the issues seemed to be from the extruder not feeding filament reliably. The toothed wheel that pushed the filament in would build up with ABS dust and constantly need to be cleaned.

Last time I used it I had to replace the thermistor. But that was when Solidoodle was still selling parts.

Other main issue was dealing with the default Pronterface, and its general awfulness. I would like to get it working with Repetier or Mattercontrol, but I think that will involve doing a firmware update?

7 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-02-07 23:16:06)

looks like you need a new extruder . The Titan aero cobo is nice  but for that you will need to mod your firmware  you can probably get away with a generic  aluminum extuder and maybe an e3d hob goblin.

Thermisistors are easy to obtain  and  these guy sell parts for the solidoodle  https://www.printitindustries.com/collections/e3d-1

You should be able to load repitier host and run it with no issues. you may have to load the driver for your board.

I would like to have a printer I can just turn on and print a small part without a fight.

I hate to tell you this but they are a fairy tale. Every Pinter needs calibration adjusting maintaining.
As you can see i have several . I can get good prints from all of them but they all take work to do so.

The monoprice  has a decent line up and a good rep at pretty much all price points  . and more or less out of the box printing.

Also welcome back!!

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

I hate to tell you this but they are a fairy tale. Every Pinter needs calibration adjusting maintaining.
As you can see i have several . I can get good prints from all of them but they all take work to do so.

Yeah I know that there will always be some fiddling to do, but my expectations aren't actually that high after my time with the Solidoodle 2. Just want something that I won't dred using. Which is why I haven't used it much in years.

I also don't care how perfect the prints come out as I have loads of options and skills for cleaning them up. I just don't want to have to spend 3 hours repairing a printer every time I want to use it. (Currently its like an old tractor my dad had, where he had to work on it for 3 hours to get it to run for 1 hour.)

I think my initial plan will be to see what I can do to improve it without throwing any money into it.

Also, thanks for the welcome back!

9 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-02-07 23:51:22)

I am thinking something like this would work for an extuder . rock solid but not expensive.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HfwAAOSwvNVcQXP~/s-l64.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/t6IAAOSwolpcQXP5/s-l64.jpg
The pics are a bit small but you should get the idea these are like $10 -$15 each from e bay

Also if you decide on a monoprice printer you can save money on an open box deal. Both of mine were open box  one would hardly notice ,

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

You do not need to buy another printer unless you want to. I have several Solidoodles and worked the kinks out of all of them cheaply (with a learning curve at some points).

If the toothed gear is dusting filament, it could be a couple reasons:
1) Your speed/temp/rectraction settings are off.
2) The hotend is clogged. This happened to me two months after owning a SD2 which got me hooked on modifying afterwards.
3) The tension spring is way too tight for your settings. After playing around with exotics especially, I’ve seen this happen on occasion.

You can grab a new extruder body from Printit Industries, but I highly recommend also ditching your PEEK hotend and grabbing an E3D of your choosing...the Lite6 is the cheapest and prints ABS and PLA with ease.

Are you printing ABs with an enclosure? Does your printer have a bed heater (early SD2s had the option of no bed heater)? Have you performed all necessary maintenance routines like lubricating and adjusting belts as needed?

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

I've only printed with ABS. I have the heated bed, and I enclosed the printer with magnets on plexiglass panels that just clip in place. Which helped tremendously with lifting issues I had at the start.

I am on my second peek hotend, as I clogged the original with laywoods wood filled filament, and then damaged it when cleaning it.

I havent ever lubricated or adjusted the belts as they haven't seemed to need it.

I am liking the idea of replacing the whole hotend and extruder as it has been the source of almost every problem with that machine. That E3D Titan Extruder looks pretty nice. Looks like it will pretty much drop in place of the old one.

Thankfully I am not in any hurry to get this done, so I will start messing with it when I have time over the next few months. (I just booted up the computer I run it off of for the first time in a year to install updates.)

12 (edited by yizhou.he 2019-02-08 15:51:56)

I'm sure with enough upgrade and do everything correctly, any printer will eventually run reliably. I think SD2 may run smoothly and easy to use after replace the main board, add LCD-SD card reader, and upgrade hotend to E3D. Assuming you are confident you can do everything in the best quality (no offense, but you damaged the original hotend when cleaning it, and 2nd hotend seemed to be partially clogged.), the only issue to consider is whether it worth the time and effort and the money.

I would usually encourage people to worked the kinks out cheaply, especially when people are still "interested"/"confident"/"eager to learn". If you are frustrated and risking losing your interesting over the upcoming learning curve, buy a new printer. If you value the time and effort and the money you spend more than the experience, buy a new printer.   

Ender-3 kit cost under $200 and 1-2 hours of easy assembly for 230 mm X 230 mm X 250 mm build volume, which is lot bigger than SD2 150 mm X 150 mm X 150 mm. It is 360w 24V power supply, which means faster heating on both hotend and heated bed. It come with LCD-SD card reader so that you can run without tethering to a computer.

Major disadvantage over your SD2 is the enclosure, which does not seemed to be difficult for you given your expertise, but still take the overall cost into the consideration and make your own decision.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Switch to a .6 nozzle also. This will ensure a clog free experience with little to no loss in detail.  Use RH Slic3r combo to control things.  The best bang for your buck will be on an E3d hot end of your choosing.  On any SD printer an MK6 running a HobbGoblin is by far my preferred extruder setup.  It’s simple, affordable and reliable.  Most important is the open design allows for easy  cleaning and troubleshooting should a problem occur.
Switching hot ends will require a firmware flash so read up on the WIKI to ensure you’re up to the task.  If you have questions, just ask and we’ll be happy to help.  There is no reason your SD2 can’t be a very capable and reliable printer.  It just requires the appropriate mods to make up for its shortcomings.  The good news is, plenty of us have been there and done that repeatedly.  So read up, ask questions and as always Happy Printing.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

So an E3D Lite6 hot end, and a hobbgoblin to replace the tooth gear as initial mods. (As well as replacing the Acrylic jigsaw parts)

Does the E3D Lite6 hot end come with a nozzle already attached? All the pictures show one on there, just wanting to confirm if I need to get a .6 nozzle separately.

If you order a preassembled hot end it would normally come with a .4 so you’ll be buying the .6 separate.  If ordering from Printit you could request to have a .6 installed instead.  Either way you’ll end up owning both size nozzles and that’s a good thing.  Personally I find the E3d’s fairly simple to assemble with very basic tools. So just order the unassembled version and a .6 nozzle and then follow E3d’s assembly instructions.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I put an E3Dv6 (.4mm) and HobbGoblin on my SD4.  I also bought a Calidum heated bed from PrintItIndustries.  That required flashing the firmware to accommodate the updates, so I enabled the gcode fan and EXP ports. 

Now it's the AK-47 of 3D printing.  It keeps churning out great prints, very little maintenance, don't have to constantly fiddle with it, and very rarely have a failed print of any kind.  With the upgraded components, I regularly print ABS, PETG, nylon, and POM.  I don't print woodfill with it, due to the nozzle size; I'm setting up a separate printer for that.

It's certainly been worth the time and expense of upgrades; ultimately you need to do what's right for you.

-Kevin

knowack wrote:

I put an E3Dv6 (.4mm) and HobbGoblin on my SD4.  I also bought a Calidum heated bed from PrintItIndustries.  That required flashing the firmware to accommodate the updates, so I enabled the gcode fan and EXP ports. 

Now it's the AK-47 of 3D printing.  It keeps churning out great prints, very little maintenance, don't have to constantly fiddle with it, and very rarely have a failed print of any kind.  With the upgraded components, I regularly print ABS, PETG, nylon, and POM.  I don't print woodfill with it, due to the nozzle size; I'm setting up a separate printer for that.

It's certainly been worth the time and expense of upgrades; ultimately you need to do what's right for you.

-Kevin

all these mods also require new board correct? is the Rumba still the best choice? I need help doing these mods on my SD2 also soon so it can be put back in service as well as getting the sftware reinstalled on my Atlas scanner as its not starting/syncing anymore and I think a member on here told me wrong info reloading software on SD card as I dont have any program on my PCs to read code on a pi so likely blank now. how much would the board and hot end cost and is the E3 lite OK for the SD2 upgrade? I also want to add the full bed heater as the lil factory one causes issues. then I need to add wires from board for part cooling fan which I have but never installed as Solidoodles board dont have pins ready for it.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

whats the hobgoblin?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

The Hobb Goblin from E3D is an excellent filament drive gear with a small diameter for greater torque and sharp teeth for a better grip. This is one of the easiest and most affordable modifications you can make to your printer that will significantly improve its resolution over most stock drive gears.

all these mods also require new board correct?

no !!

how much would the hot end cost and is the E3 lite OK for the SD2 upgrade? I

they are fine as long as you stay below 245 c of you want to go higher > 400 c you need a full metal e3d.

$32  USD current sale from

https://www.printedsolid.com/collection … ucts/lite6

iirc enabling the pins is a simple firware mod.

20 (edited by heartless 2019-02-10 15:05:43)

Tin Falcon wrote:

how much would the hot end cost and is the E3 lite OK for the SD2 upgrade?

they are fine as long as you stay below 245 c of you want to go higher > 400 c you need a full metal e3d.

$32  USD current sale from https://www.printedsolid.com/collection … ucts/lite6

iirc enabling the pins is a simple firware mod.

Uh, this is not correct Tin.. with a standard thermistor, you can not go over 300C - on any hotend - it will damage the thermistor.

if you want to go higher, you would have to install a thermocouple (which is a little more complicated to install) along with the full metal hotend, be it the E3D v6 or whatever.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

21 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-02-10 21:12:26)

oK  sorry i took that from the link. you are correct.

There are High temp  thermistors available . They are designed for the high temp high performance Mosquito hot end.
But is no reason one can not be used with the E3D.  These thermistors are rated to 450c

https://www.sliceengineering.com/shop/h … thermistor

Granted these are pricey compared to standard E3D thermistor Like 6.5 times the money. But none the less an option if one needs the performance.

So I had some time to fiddle with the ole SD2 this weekend and got it running with Mattercontrol. (I had all kinds of issues with Repetier Host.) It is printing a little better than it ever did before, which I think can be owed to drastic software/slicing improvement over the old Pronterface that the SD2 came with.

However the same hardare issues that plagued me were still there. Mostly the drive wheel constantly grinding ABS and having to be babysat/cleaned to keep the material extruding and the print from failing.

I printed a MK6 extruder, but there are some issues with the prints, so I opted to order one from PrintIt.

So I have MK6 extruder parts, a hobbgobblin, a .6 nozzle, and a Lite6 hot end on order. (Please let me know if I have overlooked something.)

I am looking forward to getting it all installed. Thank you for the help so far, and the help I will likely need as I get going.

You should download the latest version of Repetier-Host.  It comes with Slic3r, Slic3r Prusa Edition, and Cura Engine...all three produce good results, and you're certain to find one to your liking.  What was your previous version of R-H?

-Kevin

Soapbox1858 wrote:

So I have MK6 extruder parts, a hobbgobblin, a .6 nozzle, and a Lite6 hot end on order. (Please let me know if I have overlooked something.)

Sounds like you have a great start. That should go a long way to making you printing easier

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.