Re: Is it worth trying to keep my Solidoodle 2 going?

@n2ri

You can try filatruder.com for the hobgoblin. That's where I got mine. The owner is elmoret who is a forum member here.

For a drop in replacement heated bed, you can try: https://www.geeetech.com/mini-square-pc … p-877.html

It is for the Geeetech MeCreator which is a SD2 knockoff. I've not actually tried it myself but I have the MeCreator and a rough measurment says it will fit. Also, some folks have reservations about the quality of Geeetech products so don't yell at me if you it doesn't work out. smile

Cheers.

77 (edited by n2ri 2019-03-07 05:59:29)

justsomeguy wrote:

@n2ri

You can try filatruder.com for the hobgoblin. That's where I got mine. The owner is elmoret who is a forum member here.

For a drop in replacement heated bed, you can try: https://www.geeetech.com/mini-square-pc … p-877.html

It is for the Geeetech MeCreator which is a SD2 knockoff. I've not actually tried it myself but I have the MeCreator and a rough measurment says it will fit. Also, some folks have reservations about the quality of Geeetech products so don't yell at me if you it doesn't work out. smile

Cheers.

YES you da man! thats what I was searching for Thank you. do you know if you can place thermister anyplace on this heater for temp readings? I see contacts to solder power leads. their photo with measurements has an error showing the 2 mounting holes as being same as full width of board lol. but all measurements are exactly like SD2 wish they told watts

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

anyone know where I can get a new replacement fan for the small fan on back side of extruder motor on a SD2?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

79 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-03-01 23:13:32)

it should be a standard 12volt fan what size does the sd2 use.

i am guessing 40mm x 10  a fairly common size for 3d printers as these a match the holes in a nema 17 motor.

if this is the case just about any electronics store or 3d print supplier, take your pick. look for the ball bearing style notua seems to be the go to premium brand.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

it should be a standard 12volt fan what size does the sd2 use.

i am guessing 40mm x 10  a fairly common size for 3d printers as these a match the holes in a nema 17 motor.

if this is the case just about any electronics store or 3d print supplier, take your pick. look for the ball bearing style notua seems to be the go to premium brand.

this fan is half normal size for some reason and blows on an aluminum finned heat sink. cant get good look at it without mirror or un installing the carriage. My Brother inlaw stuck his big finger in it when I just bought it and told Him NO DONT! too late, its been wheezing ever since adults are worse than kids seems

http://soliforum.com/i/?Y5k1hTI.jpgprint a replacement

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

you might take a look at the fan for the E3D.. it is quite small - 30 x 30 x 10mm - perhaps it would work for you

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

https://www.cofan-usa.com/fans-blowers/ … /20x20x10/

fans are available in many sizes and voltages

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

ever since Bro-inlaw done that I have had to make sure it started sometimes flicking it or blowing with straw to make sure it started then I could hear its whine. before he did it was so quite you had to use a mirror to see if it was running. I think thats why the motor stopped feeding sometimes last few times I used it, maybe over heated & tripped overload

wardjr wrote:

how did you take that photo? theres like an inch behind it then solid metal wall on SD printers

n2ri wrote:
wardjr wrote:

how did you take that photo? theres like an inch behind it then solid metal wall on SD printers

You are aware that the entire gantry, along with the extruder moves?  I simply pulled it towards the front of the machine.  I also find it rather strange that you would have the only SD I have seen (and I’ve seen more than most) that uses anything other than a 40mm fan on the extruder motor.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

wardjr wrote:
n2ri wrote:
wardjr wrote:

You are aware that the entire gantry, along with the extruder moves?  I simply pulled it towards the front of the machine.  I also find it rather strange that you would have the only SD I have seen (and I’ve seen more than most) that uses anything other than a 40mm fan on the extruder motor.

DOH! yeah of coarse, LOL. yeah now I see it is 40mm just didnt seem like it before. thanks. that makes it easier to replace/fix.

heartless wrote:
n2ri wrote:

so does anyone have or know where I can get a full surface bed heater like the Silicone one made couple years ago for my SD6 6"x6" NOT 8"x8" like SD3/4 use. a member on here had 1-2 they didnt use for reasonable price about a year ago.

starting to look like between $100-$200 to get the rest of parts needed to do all the Upgrades on My SD2 wasnt there a maker-forge clone dual extruder 3D printer for like $300-$400? would that be a better option or just different parts needing upgraded.

the SD3/4 bed heater is only 6-1/4" square - it had the same problem with cold edges that you are experiencing.

tell ya what - i have a complete SD4 bed that I pulled out of one of my machines when upgrading - complete with wiring, thermistor, insulation, the whole works - to my knowledge it is still very functional.
you pay for the shipping and it is yours to do with as you please. Pull it apart and try to fit the silicone pad to yours, or whatever.
Flat rate Priority Mail padded envelope is $7.55

thanks again for this!
now just gotta figure how to unglue it and see if there is spots for the 3 SD2 mounting screws to go through heat pad as the SD3/4 holes are not the same spots. otherwise I just get a thermister and insulation to use on a dif heater or maybe the Geetech mini PCB htr

n2ri wrote:
heartless wrote:
n2ri wrote:

so does anyone have or know where I can get a full surface bed heater like the Silicone one made couple years ago for my SD6 6"x6" NOT 8"x8" like SD3/4 use. a member on here had 1-2 they didnt use for reasonable price about a year ago.

starting to look like between $100-$200 to get the rest of parts needed to do all the Upgrades on My SD2 wasnt there a maker-forge clone dual extruder 3D printer for like $300-$400? would that be a better option or just different parts needing upgraded.

the SD3/4 bed heater is only 6-1/4" square - it had the same problem with cold edges that you are experiencing.

tell ya what - i have a complete SD4 bed that I pulled out of one of my machines when upgrading - complete with wiring, thermistor, insulation, the whole works - to my knowledge it is still very functional.
you pay for the shipping and it is yours to do with as you please. Pull it apart and try to fit the silicone pad to yours, or whatever.
Flat rate Priority Mail padded envelope is $7.55

thanks again for this!
now just gotta figure how to unglue it and see if there is spots for the 3 SD2 mounting screws to go through heat pad as the SD3/4 holes are not the same spots. otherwise I just get a thermister and insulation to use on a dif heater or maybe the Geetech mini PCB htr

You really should avoid Geetech products. The only thing they are good for is teaching QC inspectors what not to pass. Their products are made with inferior parts and inferior labor. In short Geetech products are just garbage and will fail most of the time out of the box.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Hey everyone. I wanted to report in on my mods and thank you all again for the advice. Yesterday I installed a glass build plate, which is an amazing difference. I also did a couple of small mods of my own to fix issues I had with the extruder. I installed a little brush that keeps the hobbgoblin clean of dust. I also had issues with filament slipping loose from the bearing Midway into a long print. So I found bearings on Amazon with a 2mm groove. I didn't check the size difference though which means they were smaller so I had to modify the design of the MK6 tension arm. But now it feeds beautifully. It printed a 5 hour print with no hiccups. I'm pretty pleased with the old Solidoodle 2 now.

http://soliforum.com/i/?MwyEeOc.jpg

You’ll have much better luck if you get the tension spring on the correct side of the tension arm.  As is it is working against you.  Also I’d mention that although I appreciate your innovation.  That brush will in rather short order, dull the teeth on the Goblin.  Brushes like that are great for occasionally cleaning the Hobb after a mishap.   Past that you have other issues if you are making that much dust.  In your case it’s simple, move the spring and tighten it down.
Nice work!

For reference https://www.printitindustries.com/colle … 6-extruder

Thanks for pointing out the tension spring. Makes more sense having it the other way. I'm not sure when that got switched. I'm pretty sure it was set up wrong on the original extruder too. Possibly from the factory, or when I first had to take the jigsaw puzzle apart. Got it switched around correctly now.

The brush looks like metal in the picture, but the bristles are plastic. It also swings out of the way when not needed.

I understand the bristles are nylon.  I use the same brush to clean my Hobbs.  I know from experience from trying the exact same thing.  It will wear the Hobb fairly quickly if left in contact.  Most importantly though, if running correctly it simply shouldn’t be needed.  Tighten that tension arm till the spring is almost totally compressed.  At that point if you are still shredding your filament you might want to consider a higher temperature.

94 (edited by Soapbox1858 2019-03-19 13:51:07)

wardjr wrote:

I understand the bristles are nylon.  I use the same brush to clean my Hobbs.  I know from experience from trying the exact same thing.  It will wear the Hobb fairly quickly if left in contact.  Most importantly though, if running correctly it simply shouldn’t be needed.  Tighten that tension arm till the spring is almost totally compressed.  At that point if you are still shredding your filament you might want to consider a higher temperature.

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up on that.