1 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-08-04 15:47:57)

Topic: New printer Monoprice ultimate maker

I did it again I ordered a new printer.

This one is not mentioned a whole lot  but it should do the job

https://images.monoprice.com/productlar … 157101.jpg

Looks like all the parts i could ever want available here

https://www.wanhao-monoprice-parts.com/ … ltimate-3d
and wiki with lots of links  including marlin firmware.

https://www.printer3d.one/en/wanhao-dup … rovements/

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Re: New printer Monoprice ultimate maker

I want one too! Not that I don't have enough printer, just want one for collection. Where did you buy it and how much?

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Direct from monoprice through e bay .. just over $400   including shipping

they had a batch of open box returns listed.   That listing has sold out . but you can keep your eyes open on e bay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Open-Box-Monop … m570.l1313

or wait for one of the coupon codes to come up . there current new price is down to $ 649

There is a guy in Newtonville Mass  that sells flash forge creators that are factory returns  for $329   + $50 shipping
www.ebay.com/itm/FlashForge-Creator-Pro … Desc=0%7C0

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Very good deal, very nice, no wonder you "did it again", it is hard to resist. I will keep eye on MonoPrice ebay store from now on.

I know that guy in Newtonville Mass, and watching his list on ebay for a while, but not sure if flash forge creators worth that much money. It is a lot smaller build volume than ultimate maker, and the machine does not look as elegant as ultimate maker. Not to mention my motivation of buying ultimate maker because it is monoprice brand model that I don't currently own.

Plus he charge $50 for shipping even if I drive over to pick up. They do have a different set of printer not sale on ebay but available for pick up in Newtonville, they claim those are customer return that are almost new and will charge a lot more (you can also find this set of sale in craigslist).

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Imho it is a good deal for someone who can fix a printer and wants a flash forge it does have duel extriuders.

and you can get an open box Ultimate for $ 449

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id= … gIs0_D_BwE

I was contemplating one of the Folder tech deltas but decided on the monoprice only about $ 50 more and it is a pre built   kit.

I Ike my mini but wish it was tuly open source.

Now i am thinking upgrading the new one to a bond tech extruder  we will see.

Tin Falcon wrote:

Imho it is a good deal for someone who can fix a printer and wants a flash forge it does have duel extriuders.

and you can get an open box Ultimate for $ 449

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id= … gIs0_D_BwE

Thanks for the link, I will wait and see if the $400 deal come back. I got enough printer to use at the moment.

Tin Falcon wrote:

I was contemplating one of the Folder tech deltas but decided on the monoprice only about $ 50 more and it is a pre built   kit.

I Ike my mini but wish it was tuly open source.

Now i am thinking upgrading the new one to a bond tech extruder  we will see.

Wise decision. I don't like delta printer at all. It is fun to watch it printing sometimes, but it requires auto-leveling which I hated. Have to clean the print bed every time! Otherwise the auto-leveling will be off and you have to do it again. If the nozzle is oozing filament, you will have to do it again, and have to clean the bed to remove the previously oozed plastics. I don't really want to watch it auto-leveling and first layer print and then leave. All my other non-delta printer use manual leveling and only need small adjustment once a month or even less.

I heard the ultimate have high resolution (0.02mm) and fast printing speed (150mm/s), this might be compromised if you upgrade to bond tech extruder. Besides the layer cooling fan, I have not see much so called "Must have" Mod for Ultimate, I would enjoy the stock setup for a really long time before attempting any mod. (maybe enclosure if necessary)

if being not open source really bothers you, you should try to replace the board with MKS + mini12864 LCD. will cost less than $30. MonoPrice Select mini board is known to be picky on SD cards, it only takes <4GB cards and <2GB for firmware upgrade. Plus it is not open sourced firmware. But you loss wifi connectivity with new board.

9 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-08-05 18:36:51)

From what i have seen one of  the reported advantages of a delta it they are fun to watch . To me not a real advantage and yes a rep for needing more work. Not that i am afraid of tweaking. And building.  But if for the same price I can  get a better printer  with less work why not.

The MPUM  Is open source there are actually 6 versions of the firmware available for download  . And the MPUM does not come with wifi . One needs to add a Raspberry pi for that feature. For whatever reason that feature is not standard on the higher end machines.

The bond tech extruder is a solid design it has the reputation of lifting printers off the table if the filament jambs  I do not see where adding one would have a disadvantage other than the extra  $ 80  spent on one. and one loses 10 mm on the y axis .

I will run this thing stock for at least the first month as not not void the very limited warranty. 
An enclosure would be nice but since I do not intend to run abs a  bit mute.

As far as open source this feature does not appear on the MP web page.  That is something that has to be researched .

And a bottom view of the machine. I do realize the Wanhoa is shown but is expect similar from the monoprice UM.

https://hackadaycom.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/bottom.png

10 (edited by heartless 2018-08-05 23:52:30)

yizhou.he wrote:

Wise decision. I don't like delta printer at all. It is fun to watch it printing sometimes, but it requires auto-leveling which I hated.

Not sure where you got that idea from, but it is completely false.

I own a Folgertech Kossel (aka delta) and it does NOT have auto-leveling and prints just fine.

Yes, the kit came with a leveling sensor, but I chose not to install it and instead manually level it.
Yes, it is a fiddly process, but done right, you do not need to do it every print.

This is an example of a print from my manually leveled FT Kossel kit printer

http://soliforum.com/i/?1Nu11on.jpg

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Deltas are a purpose built machine. They where designed for those who need taller than wide prints. Most Deltas have a much taller print envelope than any of the Cartesian printers..

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

12 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-08-06 16:22:08)

heartless wrote:

I own a Folgertech Kossel (aka delta) and it does NOT have auto-leveling and prints just fine.

Yes, the kit came with a leveling sensor, but I chose not to install it and instead manually level it.
Yes, it is a fiddly process, but done right, you do not need to do it every print.

My delta printer don't have manual leveling option. I guess it is possible to add an leveling screw to it and hopefully can also reduce the leveling frequency to once a month.

(BTW: The image you show is not leveled, based on the skirt, the bottom right of the picture nozzle are too close to bed and the other side are perfect)

yizhou.he wrote:
heartless wrote:

My delta printer don't have manual leveling option. I guess it is possible to add an leveling screw to it and hopefully can also reduce the leveling frequency to once a month.

(BTW: The image you show is not leveled, based on the skirt, the bottom right of the picture nozzle are too close to bed and the other side are perfect)

Actually her bottom right is correct while the other sides are a little high. Your first layer should be squished to half or less of your desired layer height. Most of the auto level functions on most printers set this incorrect as the do not account for your print layer height.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Actually her bottom right is correct while the other sides are a little high. Your first layer should be squished to half or less of your desired layer height. Most of the auto level functions on most printers set this incorrect as the do not account for your print layer height.

If I have the bottom right first layer height, I will have to use tools to get my print out of the bed. The bottom left is indeed a little high, but the area right on the other side of bottom right are perfect, I can push the print with hand and it pops out of the print bed.

and both of you are wrong... what appears to be "not quite level" in the skirt is a result of drooling and the nozzle not being fully primed when it started the skirt. (skirt starts on the left side & comes around the front, and also finishes on the left side - you can see the the start & end point very clearly and they are obviously not the same size. the angle of the picture does make it appear that things are not quite right, but trust me, they were. Just sayin..

and for the record, that print came off just fine with no need of any tools, just letting it cool a little allowed it to come right off.

But, we are veering completely off course for this thread... this is supposed to be about Tin Falcon's new toy...

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

But, we are veering completely off course for this thread... this is supposed to be about Tin Falcon's new toy...

Heartless thanks for nudging this thread back on course.

The printer arrived last evening . I had time to unbox it and do a brief inspection and I attached the spool holder. There was some minor damage to the box.
That was it as this am was a way early morning.

This evening  first impressions

this seems very well build like a preverbial metal privy.   
z axis is a fairly massive ball screw and guide rods. These are mounted on metal blocks. build plate and sub base are heavy 6mm aluminum plate . the case is 4 mm aluminum . There are sheet metal guards around the motor pulleys. Cable management is exelent. Shrink tubing on the end stop conectors.

Conectiton us b was flawless. the only real issue was that there was a - 15mm z axis offset in the firmware.

I did open the settings through rh just to see if I could . rest this to zero and working fine.
Need less to say some frustration attempting to run the bed level routine.   if this was my first printer there would have been some major frustration and head scratching but  fortunate for me not the case.
I did a quick set up in RH and slicer and am running a benchy as a first print.

All in all this thing looks good  it does not apear to be an pen box priter but there are minor signs of it.

So the chitchat funtion is turned on so firmware settings are a little easier.  also the aceleration is set to the proper 3000mm/s2
rather than the 800 reprted in reviews.

That's exciting, any more images? sample prints?

not yet I need to snap a few photos and post as far as prints I did print a benchy last evening unfortunately it is at work and I am on vacation next week so benchy  no 2 is printing as we speak. over all it looked great. but there was a weird artifact of strange shape on the bow. on I have not seen before and a bit difficult to describe,

Tin Falcon wrote:

not yet I need to snap a few photos and post as far as prints I did print a benchy last evening unfortunately it is at work and I am on vacation next week so benchy  no 2 is printing as we speak. over all it looked great. but there was a weird artifact of strange shape on the bow. on I have not seen before and a bit difficult to describe,

An echo around the anchor ports?

more like a wide open vertical mouth i need ti take a picture

i am thinking it is ringing /vibration,

22 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-08-11 23:51:20)

A couple photos

iam thinking i need to print perimeters first

Post's attachments

3dp1.JPG
3dp1.JPG 131.04 kb, 1 downloads since 2018-08-11 

Benchy.JPG
Benchy.JPG 103.31 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

23 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-08-12 02:50:44)

I had time this evening to run another test.

I changed a couple slicer settings . i reduced the infill from 30%  to 15% and selected perimeters first. 
The artifact went away. this print however dropped a couple lines of filament on the roof. so may need to lower bridge speed all in all the first prints look very good.

Also imho the the interface is a bit limited  vs the marlin LCD . I have yet to print from the sd chip with this printer.

I checked the dimensions  of the print seems like ome are a little heavy and some a little light  Hmm  good enough for now.

24 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-08-14 11:17:28)

I did a 20 mm test cube single wall thickness. the wall was too thin this was after calibrating the extruder  and boosting the steps per mm. the auto bed level routine on this thing is wakked that appears to be where the -15 mm bed offset came from.
I set the extrusion multiplier to 1.1 an the  extrusion width of the perimeters to 120% Am getting close to 0.40  but the extrusion still looks a little thin.  new printer needs tweaking what can i say.

I am making progress. Bed adhesion is much better.  I printed a near perfect cube. Very minor pillowing on the top and a couple of minor ridges at the corners the thing is basically perfect and solid.

Every machine is different . this one uses a micro Swiss hot end which  is a bit different in design than  the  E3D system on my other machines. Seem like i need to print about 10 degrees hotter.

I like E3D style better, all my monoprice v2 and plus came with micro Swiss style hot end (I don't think it is micro Swiss hot end). It do jams occasionally, and do require disassemble of the hotend sometimes especially when filament breaks and leave a small piece inside. With E3D style hotend, you just push it down with a metal stick, not with this one, and disassemble of the hotend require take out two screw that mount the fan, if you forget to power off the machine, the chance of break the fan blade are high.

Insertion of filament can be tricky sometimes, bend the filament end straight and cut a sharp end helps a lot. I think the maker ultimate hotend are slightly different, hopefully these will not be a problem at all.