Re: New printer Monoprice ultimate maker

I add step motor driver smoother to it, I don't know if that contribute to the great print quality, but it really decrease the noise.

I assume you mean the motor dampeners ?

Bondtech has been around for  IIRc 4-5 years they are in IIRC there third official release.
These are professionally printed with a very high end process. not injected molding . so they are not tied to an expensive mold . they need to change something simply change the file send it to the manufacturer. This is the only double geared extruder on the market i am aware of.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

It's not motor dampener, motor dampener only buffers vibrations, not reduce vibrations. This is something like what I got, and yes I got mine on aliexpress.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKYN7YK/re … B07GKYN7YK

Product features
TL-Smoother can effectively eliminate the mechanical chatter generated by 3D printer motors, especially for parallel arm configurations of the machine effect is significant. Lower vibration lower noise smoother result.

The TL-Smoother is an addon module for 3D printer stepper motor drivers. The board provides flyback diodes (freewheeling diodes) for the motor outputs, so they are also protected against inductance voltages in the unpowered state of the driver.

You will get smoother movement especially on the delta-style 3D printer under DVR8825 stepper drivers or A4988 / 2 drivers. I3 and UM models can also be used, and different machines will have different clipping effects.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

I maintain and run 2 Monoprice Ultimate printers.  I added a second cooling fan to the left side of the print head, upgraded the fans to ball bearing.  Also made up lexan sides and tops.    Installed the Microswiss all metal hot end, and most recently the Bondtech extruder.   I print ABS.   I have also had to adjust a number of the settings to get the best print quality possible.  All of these mods have helped improve them / and the print quality.
I also discovered the stupid Z axis screw with no jam nut to keep it from drifting.  Fixed that by adding a jam nut.  Once I got the beds level, they have not needed adjusting.
I also found a number of loose screws on various parts of the machines, so checking them all is not a bad idea.

Dave
3D printer - Monoprice Maker Ultimate with mods-
microswiss hot end, Bondtech extruder, twin cooling fans & ducts, insulated heater block, enclosed with Lexan like the Wanhao D6 it is based on.

54 (edited by Dave455 2018-11-19 20:20:58)

The only thing that schematic does is drop 1.4V across the diodes.  So whatever is connected to pins 1-4 gets 1.4V lower than without it.

Above is correct ^

Edited - I goofed when I searched the part numbers - ignore this part -  Based on miss typed part number -

The part number indicates that those diodes are 200V Zener diodes.  A forward biased 200V Zener diode just starts to turn on near 200V.  They won't even turn on under any normal circumstance in a 12 or 24V circuit.  So they are allowing current to pass in the reverse direction, which is normal for Zeners.  Since each side has them side by side with opposite polarity, the one that happens top be reverse biased drops around .7 V, and the one forward biased is off.   

The schematic is drawn wrong, as the symbols used are for regular rectifier diodes, not Zener diodes.

Dave
microswiss hot end, Bondtech extruder, twin cooling fans & ducts, insulated heater block, enclosed with Lexan like the Wanhao D6 it is based on.

Oh, damn.  I mixed up the numbers when I searched.  Yes, they are just rectifiers.  So they drop .7 V each, in each path for a total of 1.4V at the load, regardless of the polarity.

Dave

"A flyback diode is a diode connected across an inductor used to eliminate flyback, which is the sudden voltage spike seen across an inductive load when its supply current is suddenly reduced or interrupted. It is used in circuits in which inductive loads are controlled by switches, and in switching power supplies and inverters."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

So dave what are your thought s on the bond tech. couple guys picked them up at the last 3d printing meetup other than that have not talked to anyone that has one.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

58 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-11-19 22:09:10)

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/115/ … -41625.pdf

Look at figure 2. these diodes resistance is not 0 ohms upon Instantaneous Forward Voltage. The greater Instantaneous Forward Voltage is, the higher resistance it will be. Your "four pieces of straight wire" only happens in ideal diode.

P.S. I do know how to adjust motor current, the printer is much quieter even with slightly higher torque. I also need to mention TL-smoother only work for A4988 and DRV8825, they do not improve TMC driver.

The bond techs have been good so far.  The original feeders occasionally would skip / strip the filament.  Didn't really see it happen until I got to near the end of a roll of filament.  Just looking at them from the mechanical design of it, the 2 rollers with teeth and gear driving them is a much more certain way to drive the filament.

End of diode thing -
Carl is correct.  Those diodes are not wired to function as flyback diodes. 

a single resistor of a few to maybe 10 ohms would do nearly the same thing as this circuit - drop a volt and a fraction, and slow down the edge of the current rising when the drive switches on.  Will that change how hard a motor is driven?  Yes.  Is that a good thing?  depends.

Dave

flyback diodes is used to smooth out sudden voltage spike, if you can find a kind of resistor that can buffer the sudden voltage spike from both direction, I guess it should also work.

haha, Carl, you start it! I just recommend TL-smoother for Tim's maker ultimate because it work well on my ultimate.

yizhou.he wrote:

flyback diodes is used to smooth out sudden voltage spike, if you can find a kind of resistor that can buffer the sudden voltage spike from both direction, I guess it should also work.

Not exactly.  Diodes used in a flyback application are used to absorb the inductive spike caused when the controller shuts off current to an inductive load.  Mainly to prevent damage to the transistor controlling that current.

The diodes as wired in the schematic in the post above are not providing any function related to absorbing that pulse.  They are not "flyback diodes", they are not wired in a way that would provide that function.

Dave

Good bad or indifferent I ordered a bondtech d6 kit.  10% off black Friday 
still other deals available

https://www.printedsolid.com/collection … 6940b2fbbb

It's not motor dampener, motor dampener only buffers vibrations, not reduce vibrations. This is something like what I got, and yes I got mine on aliexpress.

Product features
TL-Smoother can effectively eliminate the mechanical chatter generated by 3D printer motors, especially for parallel arm configurations of the machine effect is significant. Lower vibration lower noise smoother result.

The TL-Smoother is an addon module for 3D printer stepper motor drivers. The board provides flyback diodes (freewheeling diodes) for the motor outputs, so they are also protected against inductance voltages in the unpowered state of the driver.

You will get smoother movement especially on the delta-style 3D printer under DVR8825 stepper drivers or A4988 / 2 drivers. I3 and UM models can also be used, and different machines will have different clipping effects.

Ok i researched these a bit nothing deep . I watched a couple you tube  reviews.
the conclusion is the 8 diode units work better for eliminating salmon skin the 4 removed some  but is was still visible.

also thes seem to be more efective with the dvr8825 than the a 496 driver.

I may purchase a set of these  the wife comments on the noise from the printer so would like make her happier.

Experienced the first filament jamb on this machine was attempting to change filament and it stuck to the bottom of the motor mount had to take things apart and punch it out after that things seem to work fine . and this definitely has a ptfe tube on the nozzle.

66 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-11-24 18:18:35)

Tin Falcon wrote:

Product features

Ok i researched these a bit nothing deep . I watched a couple you tube  reviews.
the conclusion is the 8 diode units work better for eliminating salmon skin the 4 removed some  but is was still visible.

also thes seem to be more efective with the dvr8825 than the a 496 driver.

I may purchase a set of these  the wife comments on the noise from the printer so would like make her happier.

Don't waste your money on these. The videos and reviews are most likely made by employees of the company to sell them. I am a certified electronic tech of 20 years specializing in the repair and refurb of telecom rectifiers, inverters and converters. My knowledge of freewheeling diodes is extensive and these are not wired in such a way. The way these are designed the most they will do is drop the voltage at each motor by 1.4 volts. But when voltage drops, current goes up so these will actually make your motors louder and hotter. They are called smoothers, not quiteners. Mr. He seems to be one who believes anything he reads or is told through a video. These are more of a placebo than anything else.

The only people that may benefit from these are those who don't how to adjust motor current and theirs is on the weak side. Installing these would increase the current slightly and that would help with some visual issues that poor tuning would cause.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

67 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-11-24 19:06:23)

I did not just believe these thing will work after I read about the smoother on facebook three month ago, my first reaction is this is another MOSFET add-on that people don't really need. And if you think I did not try to quiet my printer by adjust the step motor current, you are wrong. I adjust the motor current on my ramps converted Jr to make it quiet while provide enough torque, but Jr have small and light print bed.

The reason I decided to give smoother a try because my MonoPrice Make select V2 Y axis constantly causing layer shift after I adjust the motor current to quiet it completely. All the other motor is fine. I believe the print bed is too heavy and therefore require higher torque. After adjust the motor current back and forth, I replace the y axis motor with better motor, and it is better but still quite a lot noise when necessary torque is achieved. I have four of these model printer, and every printer is the Y axis that drive the print bed movement require higher torque.

I ordered one set from amazon, just to test it out. And it worked. I was able to increase the motor current and get much stronger torque without increase the motor noise.  I order 5 set on aliexpress and put it on all my MonoPrice printer, and they all work as expected. then I ordered another 10 set and have not finish all the installation yet.

I only order the 8 diode version. And I can confirm they quiet down both DRV8825 and A4988 step motor. I can not confirm they improve print quality as those video shows, my MonoPrice printer print quality is good to start with, and I have trouble to produce salmon skin effect. so I don't see that obvious further improvement on print quality. It do seems reduce ghosting somewhat when print at high speed, but I usually print at or under 60 mm/s.

68 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-11-24 19:56:44)

They are a placebo. Do you know what that word means? It means you think that it works because you want it to and therefore your brain has convinced you it works. The change is so minor most would not see it. But becuase you want them to work and you feel a 3d printer should be as silent as a paper printer your mind is amplifying the effect they produce and you feel they work.

I don't know how to convince you otherwise but my years of training as a tech tells me that those as wired are not freewheeling or flyback diodes. They are not wired in parallel with the coil which is required to be freewheeling or flyback. They are wired in series with opposing cathodes. That means regardless of current flow direction this circuit will pass it both ways. Meaning that the back emp from the collapsing coil filed when power is removed will pass right through these.

As has already been discussed each diode has an inherent .7 volt drop across it so that means at most it will reduce the voltage on that line by 1.4 volts. Which will cause the current to each motor to go up. That is what is probably contributing to your improvement. However these will do nothing for back emp protection and do nothing as far as buffers or cleans the signal passing through it.

One thing that will create noisy motors and systems in general is running the steppers in their default 8 bit microstepping configuration. If you change that to 16 bit the motors become twice as quite and if you change it to 32 bit they become 4 times as quite. The only draw back is you will need to change your steps per mm by a 2 or 4x multiplier.

After my overhaul I will be running in 128 bit microstepping and possibly 256 since I am installing bigfoot drivers. My machine already is so quite I have to check to see if it is running sitting right next to it sometimes. Plus mine being all metal you would think would be noisy. It's all about tuning and selecting the best drivers and boards. It all goes back to getting what you pay for.

I'm sorry but these are simply General purpose 400 volt rectifier diodes. They simply block up to 400 volts of DC current traveling through the cathode. But the ways these are wired if one diode on the line blocks the other will pass. So it is nothing more than a section of wires with a 1.4 volt drop.

The placebo effect can be very strong in people and has been scientifically proven. They have given people injections of saline and told them it was a drug that would cure their illness and they began to feel better even though the injection did nothing. Similar experiments where done giving people a flavored drink and telling them there was alcohol in it. They would began to exhibit signs of intoxication even though there was no alcohol in their system .

No smoke and no crystallize in extruder at 250C, everything works perfectly. I can run PLA at other printer for 250C too,

use caution here as this is not an all metal hot end their is definetley a ptfe tube in there.

Ok did a little more research on these. Still no real conclusion
The 8 diode one do seem to work on Chinese knock off DVR8835 drivers.
this is from three Independence you tube videos posted by home enthusiasts experiments.  I would not consider any of these electronics experts but do not see any motivation to be dishonest with there observations / reviews.
Then i read this blog from trinamic.

http://blog.trinamic.com/2018/08/16/tl- … ake-sense/

These devices dissipate power  1.5 to 3 watts per motor.
these are no to be used with trinamic drives  we knew that.
they do filter out harmonics  but again the cost is in power.

There is another option for a duel feed geared extuder

https://dyzedesign.com/dyzextruder-gt-extruder/

https://dyzedesign.com/dyzend-x-hotend/
the hot end looks nice as well

72 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-11-25 17:35:29)

Tin Falcon wrote:

No smoke and no crystallize in extruder at 250C, everything works perfectly. I can run PLA at other printer for 250C too,

use caution here as this is not an all metal hot end their is definetley a ptfe tube in there.

Yes, I do realize there is PTFE tube in there, different PTFE can handle different temperature, just like PLA and ABS from different company melt at different temperature. MonoPrice Maker Ultimate rated hotend max temperature is 260C, so 250C should fine, and practically I have no problem printing at 250C. I don't have to print at 250C anymore after whatever high temperature filament previously owner have used slowly removed by filament pass though the throat/nozzle. It print PLA at 230-235C happily now.  I just got PTEG from Amazon basic and I may try PTEG on it and see if printing at 250C is necessary.

73 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-11-25 17:31:46)

carl_m1968 wrote:

They are a placebo. Do you know what that word means? It means you think that it works because you want it to and therefore your brain has convinced you it works. The change is so minor most would not see it. But becuase you want them to work and you feel a 3d printer should be as silent as a paper printer your mind is amplifying the effect they produce and you feel they work.

I don't know how to convince you otherwise but my years of training as a tech tells me that those as wired are not freewheeling or flyback diodes. They are not wired in parallel with the coil which is required to be freewheeling or flyback. They are wired in series with opposing cathodes. That means regardless of current flow direction this circuit will pass it both ways. Meaning that the back emp from the collapsing coil filed when power is removed will pass right through these.

As has already been discussed each diode has an inherent .7 volt drop across it so that means at most it will reduce the voltage on that line by 1.4 volts. Which will cause the current to each motor to go up. That is what is probably contributing to your improvement. However these will do nothing for back emp protection and do nothing as far as buffers or cleans the signal passing through it.

One thing that will create noisy motors and systems in general is running the steppers in their default 8 bit microstepping configuration. If you change that to 16 bit the motors become twice as quite and if you change it to 32 bit they become 4 times as quite. The only draw back is you will need to change your steps per mm by a 2 or 4x multiplier.

After my overhaul I will be running in 128 bit microstepping and possibly 256 since I am installing bigfoot drivers. My machine already is so quite I have to check to see if it is running sitting right next to it sometimes. Plus mine being all metal you would think would be noisy. It's all about tuning and selecting the best drivers and boards. It all goes back to getting what you pay for.

I'm sorry but these are simply General purpose 400 volt rectifier diodes. They simply block up to 400 volts of DC current traveling through the cathode. But the ways these are wired if one diode on the line blocks the other will pass. So it is nothing more than a section of wires with a 1.4 volt drop.

The placebo effect can be very strong in people and has been scientifically proven. They have given people injections of saline and told them it was a drug that would cure their illness and they began to feel better even though the injection did nothing. Similar experiments where done giving people a flavored drink and telling them there was alcohol in it. They would began to exhibit signs of intoxication even though there was no alcohol in their system .

Are you sure you want to teach experimental biomedical scientist what placebo effect is and how to design experiment to test a hypothesis? I use noise meter app on iPhone and the result is statically significant and reproducible. All experiment were repeated more than three times and p-value<0.0001. And I did not realize there are placebo effect on noise meter on iPhone.

Your understanding of placebo effect is on general public level, placebo effect is patient mental status contribute to their therapeutic outcome and it have real therapeutic effect, when we test drug effectiveness, we need to demonstrate improved outcome over placebo. 

Your understanding of diode apparently still at technician level, you need to understand Nonlinear Conduction property of diode. It's resistance changes as voltage increases. Depend on how the diode is made, the extend of Nonlinear property varies. Most resistor have constant resistance or near constant resistance, replace diode with resistor will greatly reduce the ability to filter out harmonics.

Well I stand corrected then. Guess my 20 years as a tech with a 98% repair rate in a market where schematics are unheard of has all been a dream. The fact you used an iphone pretty much makes any experiment you did fact. So I will never doubt anything you say or post again.

But, we are veering completely off course for this thread... this is supposed to be about Tin Falcon's new toy...

Nice sentiment  but Carl and Me He enjoy debating every topic!!!