Re: New printer Monoprice ultimate maker

It seems like i have a brand new (more or less 2 year old machine. Seems like mp is stuck on the june 26th 2016 version of the firmware.
Like i said the z axis end  stop has minimal adjustment but enough to add a plate of glass if i want.
This is a solid machine the frame is welded together  this machine has potential but i need to find the right settings.

And you are correct I doubt if a Chinese company would use genuine  micro Swiss parts.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Oh, I have one of these! It's a rebranded Wanhao Duplicator 6, and it's easier to find useful info (and spare parts) by searching that name. Couple of quirks you'll run into:

1. No default Cura settings unless you use the software that comes with it. I've found that the Monoprice Select Mini V2 is pretty close and the settings adjusted. The manual has all the settings, though, so it's easy enough to set up from scratch.
2. Uneven cooling. There's mods for that and other quirks.
3. Some filament spools don't spin freely on the back. I had to file the spool holder a tad to get a hatchbox spool to spin, and even then there was just enough drag that I had to babysit the feeder to make sure that the tension didn't get too great to where the filament broke off in the feeder. Solved that problem by mounting a dowl rod on a 2x4 to suspend the spool above the printer, but there are less redneck solutions.
4. The Monoprice version doesn't come with any of the plastic shielding, but if you really want it, those parts can be purchased separately.

She is a pretty machine, though. Easy to clean, easy to repair, easy to mod, and can make some decent prints.

1) I tend to favor slic3r so made my own profiles that seem to work well.
2) I knew that going in but it actuality seems to work well. I have been printing pla for about 4 years on several printers with no major issues.
3)No issues with filament feeding so far. I do agree that hanging filament from above the printer works better. Especially true with my Prussia kit style printer.  I use a squeeze clam on a shelf. Also king of a redneck solution.

4) I already mounted shop made plexi sides . Have not done anything about a door or top cover yet.
5) the only real issue is first layer adhesion . will solve the issue even i i have to use glass and hairspray to do it.

6 ) does seem like a well built machine with potential.

& Thanks for the input and welcome to this forum.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Oh, yeah, the build plate adhesion. I just use the watered down school glue trick because it's cheap and I don't want hair spray getting on other things. If you ever try printing ABS with it, it needs to be printed on a raft (and I'm still experimenting - I admit you've more experience with this than I do).

Transbot9 wrote:

Oh, yeah, the build plate adhesion. I just use the watered down school glue trick because it's cheap and I don't want hair spray getting on other things. If you ever try printing ABS with it, it needs to be printed on a raft (and I'm still experimenting - I admit you've more experience with this than I do).

If your bed is leveled properly you should never need a raft regardless of the printer. If you find you are needing one then you need to look at your leveling more closely.

Ideally the the bed should be leveled in such a way that the space between the bed and the nozzle is half or less than that of your desired layer thickness. For example if you are printing with a .3 layer then your bed should be no more than .15 from the nozzle.

I never trust autoleveling for this very reason. It does not account for your layer height and so in some case could be wrong.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Ideally the the bed should be leveled in such a way that the space between the bed and the nozzle is half or less than that of your desired layer thickness. For example if you are printing with a .3 layer then your bed should be no more than .15 from the nozzle.

At least in Cura, there is a setting for first layer height, and default is 0.3 mm, it will not change no matter what layer height you set unless you changed this option. I found leave first layer height always be 0.3 mm bring more benefit than the issues, it maybe one of the reasons that I don't have to do bed leveling on my printer for months.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

yizhou.he wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

At least in Cura, there is a setting for first layer height, and default is 0.3 mm, it will not change no matter what layer height you set unless you changed this option. I found leave first layer height always be 0.3 mm bring more benefit than the issues, it maybe one of the reasons that I don't have to do bed leveling on my printer for months.

The issue that will happen with this is that if you have your bed leveled so the space is less than that then your first layer will be squished and create what is called and elephants foot.

That refers to a slight bulge at the base of your print that will have to be sanded off if you are going to need to fit that piece into another piece.

33 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-08-26 20:33:32)

At least in Cura, there is a setting for first layer height, and default is 0.3 mm,

Slic3r has the same setting .

carl_m1968 wrote:

The issue that will happen with this is that if you have your bed leveled so the space is less than that then your first layer will be squished and create what is called and elephants foot.

That refers to a slight bulge at the base of your print that will have to be sanded off if you are going to need to fit that piece into another piece.

I only need to level my bed for 0.3 mm first layer for whatever layer height I'm using, no need to change, no need to re-level.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

*shrug* PLA I never needed to use a raft, but with ABS for some reason the first layer always went janky without one. Could be the brand of ABS, could be the humidity (it's been a wet summer), could be I didn't quite have the settings perfected as I've only printed ABS a handful of times.

I ha ve done  hand full odf prints. This past Saturday designed a fly wheel for a model steam engine in f360  i loaded it to the printer and let it run. took about 2 hours.The print came out very well thare are a few pimples on the sides. tolerances came out great as iy need to pit real world parts.  did a couple smaller prints noticed the first layer getting a bit thin. I discovered the z stop is creeping and not even finger tight so every time it homes it creeps. need to add a lock nut. why is it z stops are treated as a last minute afterthought ???

The screw may become loose during the shipment. I always re-tight every screw when I receive pre-assembled 3d printers, usually 2/3 of the screw will become loose more or less. I have not receive my ultimate yet, but maker select v2 and plus have some screw even almost fall out when arrive. But they print really well after all screw are tighten. I think those screw came with washer usually stay tight better, but not sure if there is cause and consequence relationship here.

38 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-10-10 10:40:37)

I always re-tight every screw when I receive pre-assembled 3d printers,

Good advice need to do that.

But the screw in question is not technically a fastener it is an adjustable stop. It should not move unless moved by a tool. There is no mechanism in place to keep it moving when touched or even vibrations. IMHO a design flaw. but easily fixed.
Also the auto level routine is messed up if one uses it it places the nozzle 15 mm high hmm.

I got mine Ultimate the three days ago and I finally understand what you meant. My adjustment screw is not even directly under the endstop switch, although it work just fine. I don't think metal screw is the best choice in this case since resistance is low and can lose calibration over time, I plant to print a plastic one (strong one, PLA+ or ABS) with huge head so that it fully cover the endstop switch and easy to adjust by hand without screw driver, there are plenty of space there. I will run it through a metal nuts to make sure it will not stuck and break in the hole. Alternatively, add plastic washer + spring + washer to the metal screw like this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1264423

This machine frame is sick! I mean thick. Super heavy! and the rod on z-axis is sick too! And there are extra rod on x axis and y axis that went through to hotend to support its weight, everything looks steady and strong and precision. I wish my CR-10S have this build quality to support its large build volume.

The print quality is fantastic, but I have to raise my hotend temperature to 250C for PLA to get best quality print. Not sure it is cold weather in Boston or full metal hotend or I did something wrong by flash the firmware to Marlin 1.1.9 without do my own PID tune (I use someone else's value for Ultimate).

I'm super happy with the print quality, but have to mod the spool holder and filament guide to achieve that, otherwise filament feeding is not optimal when hotend dragging the filament.

You should do your own PID tune.. Every thermistor and every hotend has different dynamics that you need to account for.

I had mine at a show this weekend . I just put a thumb nut on the bottom of the screw to keep it from moving a longer screw to Accommodate a spring would likely work better.

Tin Falcon wrote:

I had mine at a show this weekend . I just put a thumb nut on the bottom of the screw to keep it from moving a longer screw to Accommodate a spring would likely work better.

I'm currently struggling if I need to mod the bed leveling screw. I mod all my other printer bed leveling screw to PLA version and added PLA washer on both end of bed leveling spring, otherwise I will have to do bed leveling every two to three days. The ultimate bed leveling seemed to hold very well so far but I don't have to long enough to make any conclusion. How often do you have to re-do bed leveling on your ultimate without mod the level screw?

carl_m1968 wrote:

You should do your own PID tune.. Every thermistor and every hotend has different dynamics that you need to account for.

The ultimate hold the temperature very well, and heating is very quick and smooth. I did PID tune with fan on full speed, still 250C is the best for the green PLA, no stringing at all and great quality at 0.2 mm layer height. May because the full metal hotend, or I used wrong themistor in my configuration.h. I will wait this filament runs out and see if my other PLA filament behave the same.

44 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-11-18 01:06:15)

I performed the first upgrade on this machine this weekend. I installed all new ball bearing fans. the board cooling fan in the base (sleeve bearing ) was getting way too noisy .Found a 5 pack on amazon for like $22 winsinn brand. The main nozzle cooling fan was not too noisy and when i powered it on the parts fan was noisy for a few seconds then quited it down .
I just replaced all three a to be done with it.

I am still contemplating a bond tech extruder. they have a an excellent rep.

FYI this printer uses jst - xh connectors  I picked up a connector kit for this printer and the MKS board printer i have and a set of DuPont connectors for the ramps based printer and of course a crimper that of course with both setts.

the above fans had the correct connectors pre installed which is always nice.

45 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-11-18 04:51:31)

I don't think the fan is dead, it is the lubricate freeze at cold weather and will give laud noise in the beginning, after about 5 minutes running, the noise should go away once lubricate melted. Alternatively, you can add some 3 in 1 oil which freeze at even lower temperature.

But ball bearing fan is definitely much better than sleeve bearing fan and will run much quieter. I sometimes have to slow down the fans and redo PID tune because the ball bearing fan I picked is too powerful, which will make it even quieter.

What's wrong with the stock extruder? I got great result with stock extruder, really don't see the need to mod or upgrade.

46 (edited by n2ri 2018-11-18 06:43:38)

yizhou; 250c on PLA?? does it smoke and crystallize in extruder? lol thats way too hot for PLA if temp reading is correct borderline even on ABS. and if you have heater that is not calibrated correct as others stated above it likely over shoots that temp alot when warming up at startup. mine did even burned out a heater just b4 limit killed power as thermister was slower than heater. and parts cooling fan has no part in this no matter if on or not

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

47 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-11-18 12:27:35)

@ MR He i never said any of the fans were dead. I simply upgraded them to prevent failure the only one that was an issue was the one inside the machine. That one i saved the pig tail and tossed it. the other were ok so saved them  probably did not need to as i already have 2 spares.
And yes ball bearing motors do last longer I have a couple cpu fans from old long gone computer they are still dead quite when tested .

As far as the extruder I have no complaints with it.

The bondtech is arguably the best in the world.
Has a great reputation for reliability
it just works.
the combination of duel geared feed  hobbs and a 3-1 gear ratio make it very precise
will handle any filament.
and if one has filament feeding of a shelf it will actualy lift the printer from the bench or table in the case of a filament jamb.
this is the standard extruder used in Joseph Prussa machines.
They make an upgrade kit for my machine so upgrade should be very easy.
I have heard of improvements in print speed of 150  to 200 percent.
This  extruder will put out more filament and retractions are more reliable and precise.

So do i need one , No. Do I want one  , yes.  Am i willing to put out $100 for the upgrade kit. That is still to be determined.

As you know there needs to be a pay off in reliability and or quality improvement. I would expect both. but again how much improvement am i getting for the money do not know unless i try. This unit is the gold standard if you want the standard you need to trade a bit of gold.

I too need to do a PID loop tune again how much improvement will i get ? but it does not cost anything and if i document the setting i can always go back if really needed.

Respectfully
Tin Falcon

48 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-11-18 14:15:00)

I did put plexi side covers on this machine  I have yet to add a door or top cover. An the photo i posted does reflect the under the kimono view of this printer. It comes standard with the meanwell PS and the wanhao main board. It is likely simply a rebraneded wanhao D6
so no simple upgrades to the drivers.
Also the menu is a bit confusing  it show the current temp then zero  for the preheat for the bed and nozzle so i was concerned i had broken a themisistor wire. I pulled my self out of panic mode and did a test print and everything was fine.

n2ri wrote:

yizhou; 250c on PLA?? does it smoke and crystallize in extruder? lol thats way too hot for PLA if temp reading is correct borderline even on ABS. and if you have heater that is not calibrated correct as others stated above it likely over shoots that temp alot when warming up at startup. mine did even burned out a heater just b4 limit killed power as thermister was slower than heater. and parts cooling fan has no part in this no matter if on or not

No smoke and no crystallize in extruder at 250C, everything works perfectly. I can run PLA at other printer for 250C too, no smoke and no crystallize either but will cause stringing on my other printer (no stringing on ultimate even at 250C). The PLA melt at about 170C which seems normal, themistor shows room temperature without preheat, so no reason to suspect the accuracy of temperature reading.

The MonoPrice Maker Ultimate I got is a openbox item, someone probably print nylon or something that need high temperature to melt before return it. After print at 250C for three to four days, I was able to lower it to 235C without reduce print quality. I'm still printing at 250C hoping it will keep decrease later. I prefer not to take the hotend apart to clean it if print quality is so good.

50 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-11-18 15:12:20)

Tin Falcon wrote:

I did put plexi side covers on this machine  I have yet to add a door or top cover. An the photo i posted does reflect the under the kimono view of this printer. It comes standard with the meanwell PS and the wanhao main board. It is likely simply a rebraneded wanhao D6
so no simple upgrades to the drivers.
Also the menu is a bit confusing  it show the current temp then zero  for the preheat for the bed and nozzle so i was concerned i had broken a themisistor wire. I pulled my self out of panic mode and did a test print and everything was fine.

I add step motor driver smoother to it, I don't know if that contribute to the great print quality, but it really decrease the noise. I would recommend this upgrade over the extruder upgrade. If I really want the bond tech extruder, I will wait for the stock one break, they may release better model if you are patient enough.

Fan are very simple inside. I even print replacement fan blade just for fun (I had doubt that printed fan blade will not be balanced and will generate big noise but I'm wrong). But they are so cheap, probably not worth your time or my time to do so to same the money. But lubricate is quick and easy, even take less time than place an order on amazon, so why not.