Re: print gcode files to miniMaker

I know I was hoping to get this out sooner but things have been busy here.  I almost have everything ready to send out a v2 protocol test.  I have the new protocol stubbed in and working.  I have the wifi disconnecting and reconnecting (sort of) between messages.  I just need to work out an issue where when the wifi connection is forced closed by the 1.1 Plus it leaves me in a hung state where I can't reconnect.

Agh, xyz is so annoying!  No two printers (or connection types) work the same.  I just figured out that using the V2 protocol over wifi with the 1.1 plus some messages don't terminate with a newline.  That is very annoying and makes it hard to tell when you have received the full message.

Anyway I have things working fairly well with the V3 protocol, and I think I can make the V2 protocol work with just a bit of cleanup.

Eureka, I am talking to the v1.1 plus over wifi and serial using both the v2 and v3 protocols.  I still need to clean up the file send code, it probably does not work yet, but I can poll for status and so on.  Hopefully I can get this cleaned up enough to send out a demo in a few days.

So today is testing day.  I finally took the time to really test out every part of miniMover and I am very close to having something to share with everyone. 

I can get the status of the 1.1 plus in both the UI and command line versions over both wifi and usb.  I can capture an image from the command line via wifi (there is no usb support for some reason), and I can send a print and monitor the status.  That is to say the printer accepts the commands.  On a wifi connection I get an error 60, internal communications error, and over serial the touch screen interface crashes!

Anyway the only big outstanding problem is that somewhere along the way I broke the v3 protocol.  I have it tracked down to a change made on December 13, however it was a relatively big one and I am still going through it.  Once I have that working I will put out a demo that is hard coded to the v2 protocol and see how well it works.

280 (edited by david.tucker 2018-12-23 22:40:57)

Ok, it is time!  Here is my first attempt at a v2 protocol.  The attached version of miniMover could potentially work with any original v1x or v2x machine. 

It definitely does not work with the miniMaker printer, and probably won't work with the jr or pro machines.  And in fact it probably just hangs (appears to hang) when attempting to talk to those machines.  It won't hang, but it has a 5 second timeout for every call and that is a long time to be unresponsive.

Anyway if you have a 1.x or 2.x machine still on the original firmware could you run this and send me the resulting debug.txt file along with a note on if you were able to print a file or not.

If this works I can try to integrate it more properly so it won't hang, and try to detect what protocol your machine supports automatically as well.

Oh, and try both wifi and usb if your machine supports it...

Post's attachments

miniMover_v2beta1.zip 272.19 kb, 19 downloads since 2018-12-23 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

281 (edited by david.tucker 2018-12-30 16:59:25)

So I got a Creality Ender 3 for Christmas to go with my miniMaker, Mini W and disembodied 1.1 plus. 

So far I have managed to put it together, do the basic calibration, and run one test print.  I'm waiting on a few small parts to get octopi going and still have a few more calibrations to complete (it is under extruding right now).

Anyway it seems to be a nice machine, building it was not to bad, but certainly more fiddly than anyone else in my family would put up with.  However it does highlight all the ways that XYZ is doing things correctly.  As frustrating as it is to be spending 2x on filament (I got a 1 Kg spool from Amazon for $15, vs a 600 g spool for $27 from xyz!) they really give you a lot for the price.  My mini w cost about exactly the same as the ender 3, but the features don't really compare.

The ender 3 has a larger build volume, heated bed, and an open firmware (sort of).  The mini w has wifi support (basically octoprint), print to sd (you can remove the usb cable after initiating a print), filament run-out sensor, auto leveling with a hard mounted bed, can auto detect the filament type and setup the temps automatically, auto load/unload filament, and a software suite that does it all for you so you don't have to mess with any options.  For a little more I could have gotten an enclosed buld space, led lighting, and an onboard lcd menu.

Basically the XYZ printers sacrifice a bit of flexibility for a lot of convenience.  That is if you were not a diy type person I would recommend the xyz printers.  My wife for example would leave my ender 3 on the curb before putting up with the tweaking and setup needed to get it running, and she teaches 2nd grade so patience is not something she lacks.

There are a few things I wish they would get right, being able to dial the printer in better would be a good start, but they are a great first printer and considering the price they really are top notch.

My hope is that in the end the ender 3 will be able to print with a higher quality, especially on mechanical parts.  If that is the case then it is more than worth it to fiddle with the printer, but I do hope that in 10 years from now 3D printers look more like the mini w and less like the ender 3 (even if building it was fun).  Of course I really hope that in 10 years they also print at 10x the speed, and have eliminated the frustrations of build plate adhesion and layer separation and a host of other issues.

Dear david.tucker,
I'm very happy that "The attached version of miniMover could potentially work with any original v1x"!

I tried your v2 beta1 software with my da Vinci 1.0 AiO printer. Unfortunately I wasn't able to print.
I tried to print both the native .gcode file from the UI and the converted .3w file from the XYZware interface.
The former produced the error 0x00000209 M_CASSETT_EEPROM_READ_ERROR and did not upload the code.
The latter was able to load the code, but the printer shuts down and resets immedialty after the upload.

http://soliforum.com/i/?8Q5ygDa.png

I also tried v0.9.5: the UI SW as well as the XYZware interface does not produce errors, but the printers hangs without resetting just before lowering the printing head to the plate and starting to print. It simply hovers over the right hand corner of the plate, keeping both the extruder and the plate hot, and does nothing else.

Since I do not own the printer -it was borrowed to me by a friend- I do not want to risk modding it and I'm very interested in your SW to be able to use better slicing software.

Best regards,
Nicola Testoni

P.S.
I have the debug.txt, the gcode, the 3w and an image file of the error but, beside the image file I was not able to attach them to this post, may be becouse this is my first post on the forum. Since I'm more than willing to share them with you, I can send them to you by email if you wish.

283 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-12-31 18:16:58)

david.tucker wrote:

My hope is that in the end the ender 3 will be able to print with a higher quality, especially on mechanical parts.  If that is the case then it is more than worth it to fiddle with the printer, but I do hope that in 10 years from now 3D printers look more like the mini w and less like the ender 3 (even if building it was fun).  Of course I really hope that in 10 years they also print at 10x the speed, and have eliminated the frustrations of build plate adhesion and layer separation and a host of other issues.

The printer calibration is not very off out of box and assembled, if you have under-extrusion, most likely partial nozzle clog or the ptfe tube inside throat is not installed correctly. Also check for leak on heat block and make sure nozzle/heatblock/throat is tightened while the nozzle is hot. Also adjust the filament spool position so that the filament is not scratch to the z-axis rod before entering extruder.

Ender 3 can definitely print with very high quality, but you need to tighten the belt and wheels right. Most people tighten the belt right, but not the wheels. You can shake the hotend carriage and heated bed and see if they are loose, they should not be able to move at all except the direction they supposed to move.

These wheels need to be tightened with on hex screw driver and two wrench came with the printer at the same time. You need to hold the end hex nut with wrench and tighten it with hex screw driver first, most people did this step correctly. Then you need to tighten the middle long hex nut against the end hex nut with two wrench at the same time, this step is critical to make hotend/print bed stable. You need to do these on all wheels including hotend carriage, print bed, and z-axis. The one under x-axis carriage is most challenging if you don't remove the hotend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFGZ6AzxInw

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

nicola.testoni wrote:

Dear david.tucker,
I'm very happy that "The attached version of miniMover could potentially work with any original v1x"!

I tried your v2 beta1 software with my da Vinci 1.0 AiO printer. Unfortunately I wasn't able to print.
I tried to print both the native .gcode file from the UI and the converted .3w file from the XYZware interface.
The former produced the error 0x00000209 M_CASSETT_EEPROM_READ_ERROR and did not upload the code.
The latter was able to load the code, but the printer shuts down and resets immedialty after the upload.

http://soliforum.com/i/?8Q5ygDa.png

I also tried v0.9.5: the UI SW as well as the XYZware interface does not produce errors, but the printers hangs without resetting just before lowering the printing head to the plate and starting to print. It simply hovers over the right hand corner of the plate, keeping both the extruder and the plate hot, and does nothing else.

Since I do not own the printer -it was borrowed to me by a friend- I do not want to risk modding it and I'm very interested in your SW to be able to use better slicing software.

Best regards,
Nicola Testoni

P.S.
I have the debug.txt, the gcode, the 3w and an image file of the error but, beside the image file I was not able to attach them to this post, may be becouse this is my first post on the forum. Since I'm more than willing to share them with you, I can send them to you by email if you wish.

Thank you for trying it out for me. Can you send the files to [email protected], the debug.txt file is most important if you can’t get all of them to send.

Dear david.tucker,
I just sent you all the files. Thank you very much for this opportunity.

Best regards and Happy New Year.

Hi!
I am new to this forum. I have recently gotten a Da vinci mini W+ as a gift. I have previously used a Lulzbot Taz 5 while I was in school (So I am used to using Cura as my Slicer) and was attempting to use Minimover (to not have to use XYZ software with my new printer.) I currently am using a Mac and have not had the chance to test with a windows computer.

With my Mac, I am using Wine to run the .exe file but my printer is not being recognized as a COM port and it will also not connect via wifi. If anyone has any experience with this or suggestions they are greatly appreciated.

Also, Thank you David.tucker for all of the great work with this software!.

Hello,

I just got a second hand MiniMaker running from Linux (Debian Stretch).
The command for homing, calibration and status works well for me (replaced SN with XXXX):
./minimover -po /dev/ttyACM0 -s

Printer Status

Bed temperature: 20 C, target temp: 0 C
Bed calibration:
368, 367, 349
367, 370, 360
350, 357, 353
Printer status: No job running
Serial number: XXXX
language: en
printer name: daVinci Mini 1 
Package size: 8192 bytes
ot: 1 bytes
oc: 1 bytes
Auto level: enabled
Model number: dv1MX0A000
Buzzer: enabled
Fd: 1
Fm: 0
Has sd card
Extruder temp: 16 C, target temp: 0 C
Firmware version: 1.1.5
Filament SN: XXXX
Filament color: Clear Yellow
Filament length: 43.353 m
PLA filament: 0
Z-Offset: 250
Lifetime power on time: 7110 min
Extruder total time: 5711 min
nozzle: 0.40 laser 0 mm sn: XXXX
File id: dv1MX0A000
Machine serial number: XXXX
Machine screen name: da Vinci miniMaker
isV5: 0, isZip: 0, comV3: 1
Printer build volume: 150 L 150 W 150 H
run took 0.5912 seconds

hit any key to continue.

I am having a problem for printing:
Version 0.9.5
./minimover -po /dev/ttyACM0 -p ~/3dprinting/project/Slicer\ benchmark/3DBenchy-cura.gcode
starting print file
uploading file to printer
monitoring print

XYZV3::parseStatusSubstring invalid input.S: initializing, temp: 26 C / 0 C Error: (0x0000020d)Unsuported file version
S: print end process done, temp: 28 C / 0 C Error: (0x0000020d)Unsuported file version
print file succeeded
run took 17.2409 seconds

hit any key to continue.

Version from master

./minimover -po /dev/ttyACM0 -p ~/3dprinting/project/Slicer\ benchmark/0.2/3DBenchy-cura.gcode
starting print file
monitoring print

Serial::clear leftover data: 'ok
ok
'S: print end process done, temp: 38 C / 0 C Error: (0x0000020d)Unsuported file version
print file succeeded
run took 15.7364 seconds

Did I miss something ?
Thank you for the great work on this software and hope this help in some way !
Happy new year !

Cyx wrote:

Hello,

I just got a second hand MiniMaker running from Linux (Debian Stretch).
The command for homing, calibration and status works well for me (replaced SN with XXXX):
./minimover -po /dev/ttyACM0 -s

Printer Status

Bed temperature: 20 C, target temp: 0 C
Bed calibration:
368, 367, 349
367, 370, 360
350, 357, 353
Printer status: No job running
Serial number: XXXX
language: en
printer name: daVinci Mini 1 
Package size: 8192 bytes
ot: 1 bytes
oc: 1 bytes
Auto level: enabled
Model number: dv1MX0A000
Buzzer: enabled
Fd: 1
Fm: 0
Has sd card
Extruder temp: 16 C, target temp: 0 C
Firmware version: 1.1.5
Filament SN: XXXX
Filament color: Clear Yellow
Filament length: 43.353 m
PLA filament: 0
Z-Offset: 250
Lifetime power on time: 7110 min
Extruder total time: 5711 min
nozzle: 0.40 laser 0 mm sn: XXXX
File id: dv1MX0A000
Machine serial number: XXXX
Machine screen name: da Vinci miniMaker
isV5: 0, isZip: 0, comV3: 1
Printer build volume: 150 L 150 W 150 H
run took 0.5912 seconds

hit any key to continue.

I am having a problem for printing:
Version 0.9.5
./minimover -po /dev/ttyACM0 -p ~/3dprinting/project/Slicer\ benchmark/3DBenchy-cura.gcode
starting print file
monitoring print

XYZV3::parseStatusSubstring invalid input.S: initializing, temp: 26 C / 0 C Error: (0x0000020d)Unsuported file version
S: print end process done, temp: 28 C / 0 C Error: (0x0000020d)Unsuported file version
print file succeeded
run took 17.2409 seconds

hit any key to continue.

Version from master

./minimover -po /dev/ttyACM0 -p ~/3dprinting/project/Slicer\ benchmark/0.2/3DBenchy-cura.gcode
starting print file
monitoring print

Serial::clear leftover data: 'ok
ok
'S: print end process done, temp: 38 C / 0 C Error: (0x0000020d)Unsuported file version
print file succeeded
run took 15.7364 seconds

Did I miss something ?
Thank you for the great work on this software and hope this help in some way !
Happy new year !

you need to use miniMover to convert .gcode to .3w before send to printer, I think.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Thank you Yizhou He ! Well thought. I should have typed:
./minimover -po /dev/ttyACM0 -c ~/3dprinting/project/Slicer\ benchmark/3DBenchy-cura.gcode
and then
./minimover -po /dev/ttyACM0 -p ~/3dprinting/project/Slicer\ benchmark/3DBenchy-cura.3w

It's awesome: I can now use the slicer I need.
Happy printing !

Came here just to thank you for the great work. Using this on my davinci Mini with Cura without any problems.

However the extruder temperature seems to set 3 or 4 degrees over my set value in Cura, any idea why it does that?

Have had some issues getting good quality prints hence the reason to try other slicers, if you have updated your Cura settings from the first page I'd be happy to take a look at them again. smile

jondah319 wrote:

Came here just to thank you for the great work. Using this on my davinci Mini with Cura without any problems.

However the extruder temperature seems to set 3 or 4 degrees over my set value in Cura, any idea why it does that?

Have had some issues getting good quality prints hence the reason to try other slicers, if you have updated your Cura settings from the first page I'd be happy to take a look at them again. smile

I think the printing temperature is set by your filament tag, the choice of color decide what temperature to use. Read the filament reset post to learn more about this. I don't think nozzle temperature set by Cura will have major effect, but I can be wrong.

292 (edited by jondah319 2019-01-05 21:04:37)

yizhou.he wrote:
jondah319 wrote:

I think the printing temperature is set by your filament tag, the choice of color decide what temperature to use. Read the filament reset post to learn more about this. I don't think nozzle temperature set by Cura will have major effect, but I can be wrong.

Hmm, are you sure about this?
MiniMoverUI show me the correct set Cura temperature (xxx C/185 C) when set to 185 as an example, although the current temperature always settle 3 or 4 degrees above that (188 C / 185 C). This would mean that the UI reports wrong temperature, I've tried a 40 C range now.

I've been trying to dial in a good temperature without much success so somehow this answer could be comforting. smile

What color is the filament you are using and what color is the tag set to??

294 (edited by jondah319 2019-01-05 23:24:16)

Bozotclown1970 wrote:

What color is the filament you are using and what color is the tag set to??

Black filament with non modified (stock) tag.

Regards

Ok, I'll bet the temperature is being controlled by the tag and it is running a little on the cool side. The temp for XYZ Black is 200.

BLACK    5A 50 4B 00    200

296 (edited by david.tucker 2019-01-06 02:40:41)

n-rlyke wrote:

Hi!
I am new to this forum. I have recently gotten a Da vinci mini W+ as a gift. I have previously used a Lulzbot Taz 5 while I was in school (So I am used to using Cura as my Slicer) and was attempting to use Minimover (to not have to use XYZ software with my new printer.) I currently am using a Mac and have not had the chance to test with a windows computer.

With my Mac, I am using Wine to run the .exe file but my printer is not being recognized as a COM port and it will also not connect via wifi. If anyone has any experience with this or suggestions they are greatly appreciated.

Also, Thank you David.tucker for all of the great work with this software!.

Try recompiling this as a native mac app, if you know how to do that.  It should compile fine as long as you have access to the dev tools.  I don't have a mac so I can't say exactly how to do it. 

Anyway I suspect that Wine is just not setup to give you access to the com port, or it is possible that you need to manually specify the com port (by default I look for a com port with XYZ in the description, that may not happen in wine).  You will need to do some digging into this to work out how to give wine access to the port, and how to address it.  Probably passing -d com3 is enough, although you have to work out what number to put after -d com

Cyx wrote:

./minimover -po /dev/ttyACM0 -c ~/3dprinting/project/Slicer\ benchmark/3DBenchy-cura.gcode
and then
./minimover -po /dev/ttyACM0 -p ~/3dprinting/project/Slicer\ benchmark/3DBenchy-cura.3w

Happy printing !

It should convert the file automatically for you, as long as I can detect it is a gcode file, I will look into it.

Bozotclown1970 wrote:

Ok, I'll bet the temperature is being controlled by the tag and it is running a little on the cool side. The temp for XYZ Black is 200.

BLACK    5A 50 4B 00    200

I can override the temperature on my miniMaker, however it is not very accurate.  Try setting the temp to something crazy like 250 and see what happens (make it a very small print!).  In my experience there is an offset of several degrees with my printer at least.

yizhou.he wrote:

The printer calibration is not very off out of box and assembled, if you have under-extrusion, most likely partial nozzle clog or the ptfe tube inside throat is not installed correctly. Also check for leak on heat block and make sure nozzle/heatblock/throat is tightened while the nozzle is hot. Also adjust the filament spool position so that the filament is not scratch to the z-axis rod before entering extruder.

Ender 3 can definitely print with very high quality, but you need to tighten the belt and wheels right. Most people tighten the belt right, but not the wheels. You can shake the hotend carriage and heated bed and see if they are loose, they should not be able to move at all except the direction they supposed to move.

These wheels need to be tightened with on hex screw driver and two wrench came with the printer at the same time. You need to hold the end hex nut with wrench and tighten it with hex screw driver first, most people did this step correctly. Then you need to tighten the middle long hex nut against the end hex nut with two wrench at the same time, this step is critical to make hotend/print bed stable. You need to do these on all wheels including hotend carriage, print bed, and z-axis. The one under x-axis carriage is most challenging if you don't remove the hotend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFGZ6AzxInw

I have the belts and wheels setup nicely, and I upgraded to the latest Marlin with manual mesh bed leveling and am getting a good first layer.  The extruder feed rate was off by 15% but that is not enough to account for the under extrusion I have been getting.  I tool the extruder apart and made sure it was not cracked, that the gear was snug on the shaft, and that the idler arm was not on to tight.  I have just gotten in some higher quality bowden couplers, I'm hopeful that will fix things up.  Overall this is a nice printer, it just needs a bit of hand holding to get it going.

300 (edited by david.tucker 2019-01-06 03:45:25)

david.tucker wrote:
Cyx wrote:

and then

Happy printing !

It should convert the file automatically for you, as long as I can detect it is a gcode file, I will look into it.

Hmm, I did not try to print to a live printer yet, but I stepped over the code and it seems to be doing the right thing and converting the gcode to a 3w file.  I will try to fire up the printer when I get a chance.

---

edit, I tried it out using my latest code and it seems to work correctly.  Try the 0.96 beta and see if it works without converting the file first.