Re: Glass Bed

Just to add to this topic, i find that placing the glass plate against ice or in the freezer after printing makes the part "jump" off. No more struggles with getting stuck pieces off the glass.
Note this may crack the glass, thou this has only happend to me one.

So here are the brackets I designed and built for Solidoodle 3.  They appear to be working great so far.  I have posted them to thingiverse.com for download.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:68856

http://pdxmc.com/uploads/sd3/20130401_205055.jpg

I purchased 8" square 1/4" thick mirrors from Walmart, in the picture frame department for under 4.00 each.  These mirrors work perfectly, attached with binder clips.  I no longer use Kapton, juse lightly mist ABS glue on mirror.  Sticks great, have had no warping or curling, print removes easily.  Either turn the z-axes screw holder upside down, or print replacement so you can lower the bed to correct position for leveling.   In my opinion, this works better than Kapton.  Looks great too!  Seems to be no loss of heat-no problems.

nlancaster wrote:

So here are the brackets I designed and built for Solidoodle 3.  They appear to be working great so far.  I have posted them to thingiverse.com for download.

Has this system been holding up well nlancaster?

nlancaster wrote:

Damn, not even so much as a mention...   I still think having the metal brackets are a better solution because they pull down on the glass keeping it in place with the natural spring tension of the metal.

cmetzel your metal brackets will pull down. I have 2 magnets at every corner with an air gap pulling down on the glass bed.

I see, but what I've found is that I have the metal brackets angled down so that when the magnet makes contact the hanger strap has to flex up to meet it.  The memory in the metal bracket is trying to pull back down to it's original state so it's essentially applying downward pressure on the corners of the glass.  This method you've done with the air gap doesn't exert as much pressure downward since it relies just on magnetic field alone.  Looks better by leaps and bounds, but I'm gonna stay with what I have.  I don't mean to knock it hope it's not coming off wrong.  It's a vast improvement over clips maybe we'll get more adopters this way.  Can't believe more people haven't done it.

133 (edited by nlancaster 2013-04-02 17:48:17)

no kidding, better then the clicps.  And we shall see how well it works in the long run big_smile

Long run if it doenst work, I will build something with a spring tension system if I must big_smile

I went the mirror route as well.  PLA @ 50C, the prints stick well, and it's kind of neat to be able to see the underside of objects as they print.

< $2.50 @ Joann's after coupon

http://www.joann.com/darice-8-x8-square … xprd78605/

http://www.joann.com/coupon/

I went the mirror route as well.  PLA @ 50C, the prints stick well, and it's kind of neat to be able to see the underside of objects as they print.

< $2.50 @ Joann's after coupon

How thick are those? Do the have a beveled edge?

Thanks,
Smitty

136 (edited by 3d-oodler 2013-04-03 01:20:51)

8x8 mirror @ Joann's is 1/4" thick with rounded edges.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&amp;item=1673

Post's attachments

JoannGlass.jpg
JoannGlass.jpg 81.74 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hello,

I have pretty much the same setup as many of you I've seen on this thread; as I have the S3, it's an 8x8 glass sheet attached with binder clips. I've been told I don't need to calibrate the home Z axis because the solidoodle automatically does this before every print. However, when I do initiate a job, the extruder still makes a lot of contact with the glass and the extruded plastic is all smooshed and flat, making jamming a very likely possibiliy. Can anyone help me with how to address this?

138 (edited by cckens 2013-04-11 19:12:38)

Homing the Z does not mean that it's automatically perfect.  You need to level the bed to make sure.  Leveling procedure is to bring the bed to the glass and trying to slip a piece of paper underneath the hot end.  You'll want to do this at 3 points on the bed, right about where the leveling screwhead are.  If it doesn't go through at all, then your bed isn't level and will cause the symptoms you are seeing.  You'll want to do this with the extruder and bed on so that you take into account the heat expansion/contraction when printing.

If it slips under too easily, you're too high and you have to adjust the leveling screws for the bed.  Counterclockwise drops the bed and clockwise raises the bed.  These fine tuning adjustments should be checked before every print, but I usually do it about every time I turn the machine on and before I run a print.  It doesn't take long.  if you're using glass, you've probably printed the underbed screw caps so that tuning it can be done easier without having to remove the glass and punching through the Kapton on the bed.

EDIT:  Remember, the z-axis screw that hits the endstop is for gross aligning the head to the bed, the leveling screws fine tune this to make sure that you're close enough to extrude but far enough that you can lay down plastic on the bed.

Draconius wrote:

Hello,

I have pretty much the same setup as many of you I've seen on this thread; as I have the S3, it's an 8x8 glass sheet attached with binder clips. I've been told I don't need to calibrate the home Z axis because the solidoodle automatically does this before every print. However, when I do initiate a job, the extruder still makes a lot of contact with the glass and the extruded plastic is all smooshed and flat, making jamming a very likely possibiliy. Can anyone help me with how to address this?

Yeah sd travels to z limit switch and starts from there, but you have to set that height relative to your bed.  Use the z adjustment screw on the back wall of your printer.  In addition you'll need to level the bed as described above.  I only relevel my bed when I notice an issue.  Probably every 30 or so prints.

140 (edited by nlancaster 2013-04-16 19:55:22)

was thinking of building a mount to move the Z-Axis switch to the print head, so that it levels off the glass bed itself. will have to experiment with that.

Also, cmetzel how well does your system deal with the occosional printhead dragging on the material?  every now and then I will get a shifted layer because the printhead caught and moved the glass bed.

nlancaster wrote:

was thinking of building a mount to move the x-axis switch to the print head, so that it levels off the glass bed itself. will have to experiment with that.

You mean Z?

yes meant z-axis. updated.

nlancaster wrote:

was thinking of building a mount to move the Z-Axis switch to the print head, so that it levels off the glass bed itself. will have to experiment with that.

Also, cmetzel how well does your system deal with the occosional printhead dragging on the material?  every now and then I will get a shifted layer because the printhead caught and moved the glass bed.

If your flowrates are set correctly, I don't see why you'd have the printhead dragging on the material.  I haven't noticed any dragging, and I haven't had a shifted layer since the first week I got my printer in August last year once I lined everything up and tightened the belts and pulleys.

hmm, must have my flow rate a little high then. Will recalibrate.

nlancaster wrote:

hmm, must have my flow rate a little high then. Will recalibrate.

Could be your z-screw is slipping on the stepper shaft.

For a SD3. do you have to change out the screw to do the glass bed install? If so is it M3 and what length do I need? I will be helping out a buddy who owns a SD3.

I didn't, nope.  There's plenty of room.

I tried 3/32 in. Thickness glass from homedepot. drilled three holes for screws.. turns out i don't have room to drill countersink(lost inch of print area). and after I heat up glass bed.. it starts to crack after 4 prints. Maybe it's the heat, or maybe it's spring's tension. but just want to report 3/32 from homedepot is too thin.
:-( what to do next... sigh... maybe I will try 6x6 tile next. or actually buy thicker shelf glass 5/16...

What are your successful glass thickness?

Solidoodle2 with Ceramic tile heated bed http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2544/my- … eated-bed/
"1kg should last for an while" is a lie!

BloomingtonMike wrote:

For a SD3. do you have to change out the screw to do the glass bed install? If so is it M3 and what length do I need? I will be helping out a buddy who owns a SD3.

I had take the screw out from the top and screw it in from the bottom when I put my glass on the bed.  It might have worked if I just screwed the screw all the way down, but I didn't like the thought of that.  Seemed like it would still be too close.  I'm using a 1/4 in. piece of glass.

RavensCrest wrote:

I tried 3/32 in. Thickness glass from homedepot. drilled three holes for screws.. turns out i don't have room to drill countersink(lost inch of print area). and after I heat up glass bed.. it starts to crack after 4 prints. Maybe it's the heat, or maybe it's spring's tension. but just want to report 3/32 from homedepot is too thin.
:-( what to do next... sigh... maybe I will try 6x6 tile next. or actually buy thicker shelf glass 5/16...

What are your successful glass thickness?

1/8" ... or near that... under that size, all my glass plate break after a while under the temperature expansion/contraction and fan usage...