Re: Glass Bed

We should reach out and see if he will do this in a 6x6 format

77 (edited by devilman2075 2013-01-05 05:22:32)

There are 6x6 pcb beds available  I think there's even a couple on ebay.

Danny, how did you drill your glass?  I'm using a carbide glass/tile bit, a drill press, and a puddle of water around the bit.  I've been taking something like 5 minutes to go 1/32", and drilling from both sides to meet in the middle, and have broken the glass in each of 3 attempts.

I'm wondering if I could do something like put an M3 bolt in the chuck, torch it until its red hot and melt it through.

Just as a reference,  I got some glass panel today.  Using white rain extra hold from Dollar tree and had good stick, no corner lifting on something I surely would have had lift issues with kapton. Looks like fun from here on forward. We will see how it goes.

80 (edited by elmoret 2013-01-06 07:10:28)

IanJohnson wrote:

Danny, how did you drill your glass?  I'm using a carbide glass/tile bit, a drill press, and a puddle of water around the bit.  I've been taking something like 5 minutes to go 1/32", and drilling from both sides to meet in the middle, and have broken the glass in each of 3 attempts.

I'm wondering if I could do something like put an M3 bolt in the chuck, torch it until its red hot and melt it through.

That's either a bad bit, bad glass, or both in my opinion. I've drilled 3/8" holes in 1/4" glass no sweat.

Is your bit diamond coated?

I'm trying to drill 1/8 hole (for M3 bolts) in 1/8 glass.   The bits are carbide, and I just tried the next size up in case I messed up the 1/8 bit.  I've been drilling the borosilicate pieces, but an attempt on one of my regular printing plates broke too.  So far I've made 5 attempts and broken each one.  I've been creeping the drill press along maybe .2mm at a time. 

Should I be using thicker glass?  Is it harder to keep 1/8 glass from breaking?

Ian
here is a link for drilling glass
http://glasstips.blogspot.com/2008/09/d … ass-5.html
I have drilled glass using a drill press a piece of copper tubing and valve grinding compound

Ultimaker S3.

here is a link to some RTV used for gasket making it stays plyable and is good to 700° F
http://www.permatex.com/products/produc … ker-detail

Ultimaker S3.

I used a carbide glass/ceramic tile bit.

I used no water. And minimal pressure, low drill speed.

I had started using water for cooling but I found that rather than cool it seemed to lubricate and just made the drill bit not cut.

Stop using water is my top tip.

85 (edited by jefferysanders 2013-01-08 14:19:28)

I use this method when making the overflow filter's for reef aquariums.

You will want keep things as wet and cool as possible.  The best method I have found uses the assistance of some type of flexible mold-able material (think Play-doh or Plumber's Putty) to make a small pool over the intended cut mark.

First, make a torus and then press around the area you want to cut.

Second, fill and keep filled with cool water (might even use a couple ice cubes in your source water cup to drop the overall temp. (not to much as that temp change and could promote cracking it as well.)  10-20 degrees below room temp is perfect.

Third, drill normally and using caution to ensure the water stays near full in the mini-pool you made. (a bigger pool will give you more time before the water heats up and fails to do its job).

- Somewhat dangerous if using a A/C powered drill vs cordless.

Are the holes chamfered and if so, what did you use?

I'm using pointed silicon carbide bits with my drill press, and a roll of clay to create a puddle of water.  I'm running at 3600rpm, pushing it slow as I can, spraying fresh water on, and lifting the bit every now and then so water can get back underneath.  Once the point has gone halfway through according to the ruler on the handle, I flip the glass over and go from the the other side.  The holes meet up ok, which means I have to keep the water up since it drips through the glass.  As far as I can tell, it's breaking at the transition between the sloped part of the bit and the straight.

I'm going to try a flat diamond crusted bit from Amazon instead.  I might give it a go first with a hand drill, but I don't want to run out of pieces big enough to practice on before trying the new borosilicate plate.

pcpoirier wrote:

Are the holes chamfered and if so, what did you use?

I used a 4mm drill bit for the main hole and an 8mm bit for the countersink. (Obviously not going all the way through.

The angle of the bit does not match the angle of the countersink on the boot head so I also put the bolt into a drill and turned it against a file to alter the angle of the countersink.

When I drill glass, I use diamond encrusted hole saws, which I purchased from China on eBay for cheap.  They might not get down as small as you need, but they worked wonderfully.

Well I have given up on Elmer's Multi-Purpose Spray Adhesive on the glass bed. I do not recommend that anyone try it, it is a big waste of time. I think my next test will be hairspray.

Kapton

Huge difference between glass bed with nothing on it, glass bed with spray adhesive, and glass bed with hairspray. The plastic wont stick at all to just the glass, it will for a little bit with the spray adhesive, but with hairspray it really looks stuck down well. This is very exciting.

My SD3 bed is warped about .008" from the edge to the middle (high in the middle) so I am going to remove the Kapton
and mount glass using a thermal compound so the glass gets better heat transfer.
attached is the high temp compound I am going to use.

Post's attachments

16057 TN.pdf 108.83 kb, 38 downloads since 2013-02-14 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Ultimaker S3.

94 (edited by pcpoirier 2013-02-14 12:34:23)

Mine was warped too. I removed it leaving the wires on and sanded it flat using 600 grit sandpaper on a piece of glass (mirror).
It works great now using kapton tape I got from Granger.  I clean it with acetone(nail polish remover).

I was getting some pretty good stick to the glass.  Maybe too good-

http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/photo-36.jpg

This was glass cut for me at a hardware store.  I also had some from a framing store which cost twice as much, but it was either better quality glass, or better cuts.  The edges of the hardware store glass seemed more prone to chipping or grinding when brushed against the edges of the case.

That's some serious hairspray right there.

What thickness of glass are you using? I got a piece of 2.5mm and with that the I can't adjust the Z tab as the screw is not long enough to hit the the limit switch.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Flip the screw over or search lawsy at thingiverse, he has a new holder that you can use.

I saw danny post about the glass bed instead of aluminum and new heater wire.

Has anyone just tried using existing alu, bed and adding better heaters?

SD2 owner- Surestepr, filament holder,QUBD servo and heaters, glass bed
Print for fun and for parts for my sports cars
current car is 88 IROC

I use 2.5mm glass.  Here is the replacement part mentioned above if you dont want to flip the screw over or get a longer one.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:40701