Re: Glass Bed

ysb wrote:
RavensCrest wrote:

I tried 3/32 in. Thickness glass from homedepot. drilled three holes for screws.. turns out i don't have room to drill countersink(lost inch of print area). and after I heat up glass bed.. it starts to crack after 4 prints. Maybe it's the heat, or maybe it's spring's tension. but just want to report 3/32 from homedepot is too thin.
:-( what to do next... sigh... maybe I will try 6x6 tile next. or actually buy thicker shelf glass 5/16...

What are your successful glass thickness?

1/8" ... or near that... under that size, all my glass plate break after a while under the temperature expansion/contraction and fan usage...

oh well... you are not alone.

Solidoodle2 with Ceramic tile heated bed http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2544/my- … eated-bed/
"1kg should last for an while" is a lie!

The thing that is getting me. Ok, I have the glass bed on. Does that Z sceew need to me more or less threaded? How can I be sure the print head will not smash into the glass?

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

I got it now. Man that screw is in a tough spot. I needed basically to screw it in more.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

LdyMox wrote:

I got it now. Man that screw is in a tough spot. I needed basically to screw it in more.

You can drill a hole above it for easy access if you have a long hex screwdriver.

E3D-v4 Hotend, MK5 carriage with round plastic wire conduit , 3/16" tempered glass,  Well nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, PowerEdge 2650 500W PS, QU-BD heated bed, circuit board fan, hinged plexiglass enclosure with plastic tray top. Other than that mostly stock SD3

I got three 8X8 mirrors to use on the bed. Put the thumb screws on to level the bed. I then found out that mirrors aren't necessarily flat as I had assumed. I adjusted the right and left sides for about .1mm and then checked the center and the nozzle was dragging. Don't assume mirrors are flat. Cut glass should be.

156 (edited by Putzy16 2013-06-08 01:49:23)

For some reason I cannot get anything to stick to the glass bed I was printing pretty good before but was limited on the size because of the warp, but now nothing sticks. before i could print on 85 degree print bed and now i cant get any thing to stick even at 90 degrees. I've tried abs glue, hair spray (I did get the first layer to stick with the spray). Any tips to what might be the problem? I've adjusted my z screw to so that it is .3 mm above the platform so i don't think that's the problem.

Well I solved my problem not enough hair spray, I bumped up my bed temp 90, but i can print things with a brim at 85!

I think .3 is too high. I use a piece of paper that is .11 thick to set mine up. With some ABS I give it a little slack to probably .15. Last night I almost couldn't get my model off of the glass and hair spray.

158 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-06-10 20:22:46)

Putzy16 wrote:

For some reason I cannot get anything to stick to the glass bed I was printing pretty good before but was limited on the size because of the warp, but now nothing sticks. before i could print on 85 degree print bed and now i cant get any thing to stick even at 90 degrees. I've tried abs glue, hair spray (I did get the first layer to stick with the spray). Any tips to what might be the problem? I've adjusted my z screw to so that it is .3 mm above the platform so i don't think that's the problem.

Well I solved my problem not enough hair spray, I bumped up my bed temp 90, but i can print things with a brim at 85!

Is it .3 mm above the platform when you have the bed at the z end stop? Cause that's your problem. It needs to be .3 mm when you lower your bed .3 mm. Otherwise, your bed is actually at .6 millimeters on the first layer.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

159 (edited by acediac 2013-06-28 15:44:42)

In my limited experience of 1 week, I have been using a set of 5mm x 200mm x 200mm mirrors that I got from the bathroom section of the hardware store. Clipped them on in 3 places using medium sized binder clips (1 at the back and left, 1 front and left, and 1 right side and front), making sure not to catch any wires under the aluminium bed and in places that will not interfere with the extruder in most circumstances. The bed and the z axis screw were adjusted to give a total 5mm downward adjustment. (The bed cannot go down too much, otherwise it will pinch on the wires underneath). I printed a z axis screw extender to avoid having to screw it down all the way.

The mirrors work great - totally flat, no warping, very smooth surface. I use some generic hairspray I got from the dollar store. I had troubles with the hairspray drying out to a hard film, but after a lot of trial and error, I get the most consistent results by spraying a film of hairspray, letting it dry while the bed and extruder heats up, then about 30 seconds before you are ready to print, spraying the area with some isopropyl alcohol to dissolve it a little and spraying another light layer of hairspray. (If done too soon it will harden again before the 1st layer is printed) The bed also needs to be at about 85-88 C for ABS to stick properly. The prints usually stick well enough for the whole job, but will come off with a bit of finger pressure.

At some stage, there will be too much hairspray on the surface to be effective, but the mirrors can be swapped out easily and washed in warm soapy water for a clean surface again.

Has anybody tried using fireplace glass? American Science and Surplus has sheets of it for $3.50 and it can take temps up to 1200F without trouble. I figure that it will be structurally sound and easy to cut with a tile cutter.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

161 (edited by dad-gum 2013-07-26 06:53:26)

I tried out a glass bed as of last weekend, and it works beautifully. I got around the warping of my aluminum slab by applying layers of copper tape to the bed and to the bottom of the glass - extra layers at the sides, where the bed is lower, yielding a shiny and beauteous print platform thanks to the nicely conductive copper.  A small roll of "Slug and Snail Cooper Tape Barrier" from the garden section of the hardware store cost me about $7, if I recall, and it was reasonably easy to work with.

I used standard glass, which the guy at the hardware store told me would not change shape at temperatures in the neighborhood of 100C. According to the glass guy, it would require something much, much, much higher than that. Also, that part was not expensive, and the guy at OSH kindly cut it in 6" squares for me.

Hopefully this hasn't been answered elsewhere.  I like the thumbscrew mod for leveling the bed.  However, I'm concerned about loosing z capacity. 

Has anyone tried just loctiting or super gluing a m3 nut to the bottom of the leveling screws and using a nut driver to adjust the bed? 

One of the thumbscrew .stl could also be modified to act as a short nut driver.

pallison wrote:

Hopefully this hasn't been answered elsewhere.  I like the thumbscrew mod for leveling the bed.  However, I'm concerned about loosing z capacity. 

Has anyone tried just loctiting or super gluing a m3 nut to the bottom of the leveling screws and using a nut driver to adjust the bed?

I'm sure that would work.  I was worried about losing z depth as well so I never printed the thumb screws.  I just take a pair of pliers and grab the lowest part of the screw and make my adjustments.

Easy way to adjust bed screws for people using glass bed..

Post's attachments

20130803_145406.jpg
20130803_145406.jpg 339.95 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

20130803_150432.jpg
20130803_150432.jpg 381.43 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

ashish wrote:

Easy way to adjust bed screws for people using glass bed..

That's a good idea.

SO in addition to dial guages, calipers, scrapers, and an assortment of other tools I need to add a Dremel to my shopping list. This is getting to be an expensive hobby! big_smile

But seriously... that looks like the easiest modification yet.

For my fellow Australians...I had to hunt a little for Borosilicate Glass to suit and though I found some on Ebay I also found a glass supplier who could provide it for a good price. I'm going to pop the details in Buy/Sell/Trade.

168 (edited by WhiteStar01 2013-08-19 12:55:19)

Found this at the dollar store today.  3 6X6" mirrors for 2 bucks smile

Figure these should work decent enough for my bed. 

Cheers

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd396/whitestar011/20130812_161956.jpg

This was one of the first mods I did on  how I print,

1. I went to my local glass shop where they cut me two pieces glass 7.75" by 8" out of scrap and rounded all the edges for free.
2. I then bought some of the black 1.5"  binder clips.  to hold the glass on. I use three when I'm printing. Just got to be care full the nozzle of the extruder doesn't run in to them (no damage as far as I know, Just have restart print and move clamp)
3. print off three of the the adjustment knobs for the print bed, I super glued mine on after about 4 revolutions. (They are nice if you don't use glass)
4. move Print bed all the way down to get at the Z-stop screw. Note the length. Take it out and screw it in from the bottom this should give you enough to zero your print bed.
5. Adjust Z-stop screw to where print bed should level with very little adjustments (don't clamp glass down at this point, slide glass in and out till Z-stop is close.
6. Level print bed.
7. Put hair spray on glass (it seems to help the plastic stick to glass.
8. Heat up print bed a little longer then normal (more mass to heat up and print is futher away from temp sensor.
9. Print you test part and have fun.

Hope this helps.. This is what I did...
Print screw knobs for bed leveling
buy glass, hairspray, binder clips

and your ready to rock.

For those who are trying this, the brand of hairspray really does matter. My hold down was so-so after the glass mod, even with kapton tape. I was using some hairspray I found around the house that belonged to my grandmother (I can't recall the name of it. Was going to fish it out of the garbage to read the bottle but some leftovers ended up on top of it sad ), one of the fancier brands they sell you at the salon specifically for thinning old person hair. I had assumed that they were pretty much all the same and resigned myself to the occasional shifted print.

Today I ran out of that stuff and ran down to walgreens. Paid $3 for an 11 oz bottle of the "Unscented All Weather Aqua Net Professional Hairspray Extra Super Hold". Gave it a try for the first time on a clean sheet of glass, printing a dial indicator holder for my print head. I can now not get the damn thing to come off the bed. waiting for the temp to die down more to see if that helps, but my hold down issue is clearly gone.

By the way, fireplace glass works really well. I can't compare it to other glasses or ceramic, but the thermal transfer has been very even from what i have noticed.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

I just tonight had a print that curled quite a bit and didn't hardly stick at all (I changed from SD to Octave filament for what it's worth) and wanted to try to glass mod. I have the glass precut already and sprayed it with aquanet. Is there a waiting period for the hair spray to become sticky on glass, and will the heat of the print bed adversely effect the stickness once things get going?

I mostly just wait for it to dry out which only takes a few seconds when the bed is hot.  Apparently  the key ingredient is the liquid vinyl,  which is why since hairspray works better than others.   The is a Thingiverse thing for hairspray which has more  discussion on it.

and wow.. to really glue somethng to the glass use acetone abs slurry! I used it for one piece and the remnants have been holding other print jobs ever since. My advice, use sparingly!

Gomisan wrote:

and wow.. to really glue somethng to the glass use acetone abs slurry! I used it for one piece and the remnants have been holding other print jobs ever since. My advice, use sparingly!

lol.

By default I heat the bed to 100. Should I go to 105 with the glass?, and will the temp of the glass be incorporate into the bed thermistor's reading?