Topic: Glass Bed

Something I would like to try sometime-

People have been looking for an alternative to Kapton, so I was thinking of trying out glass and glue similar to the Cube.

Get a few pieces of glass cut to 150x150.  Make sure the bed is level (because you will cover the screws) and then clip the glass onto the aluminum with some binder clips.  Spread a mixture of PVA glue, diluted 5:1 with water, over the glass and print.

When the print is done, unclip the glass and set it aside, clip another sheet that you have already glued to the bed and start your next print while the first one cools.

Take your first print to the sink to remove the part and rinse it off.

Bare glass is generally better for PLA, but it could work for ABS with the glue.  I don't know how much loss of heat there would be from the aluminum to glass, if any.  It might be hard to get a good reading with an IR thermometer since the glass is clear and the aluminum is reflective.  Using the backside of a mirror might help there, though I don't know if the coating would be prone to peeling with the removal of prints.

Another addition that would go well with this would be some method of attaching thumbwheels to the bottom of the leveling screws.  Maybe if the screws were longer, there might be some way of jamming a thumbwheel between a couple of nuts, and using that to adjust the level.

Re: Glass Bed

I like the idea I was thinking of doing this with a piece of aluminum and some thermal grease since my bed is warped some.

I wonder how long it would take to heat the second plate up to temp before you could start printing.

I really hate how long it takes to heat the bed, I've been using a heat gun and that does seem to help quite a bit.

As an idea to heat the bed playing off of Ian's technique of using a dish towel.  What if you custom made one of those rice filled socks that you heat in the microwave?  Actually a quick google image search shows that they already come in a favorable size?  How hot do you think they get and how well would it transfer heat down to the bed.  I agree it's agonizing to wait for the bed to heat up enough, which usually results in my first attempt to print being screwed up until I wait for the bed to properly heat.  Do you think that would work instead of a heat gun which could end up causing damage pretty easily if you're not careful?

I know 30 seconds can make one of those almost too hot to touch, maybe 50-60C.  I suppose preheating the cover would make it more effective than an insulator like a fire cloth which would need to be heated along with the bed.   It's easy enough to test if you already have a sock and some rice.

Any issue with a reaction to the Kapton tape?  Don't want cotton fibers stuck all over the bed.

Concerning measuring temperature of glass with an IR thermometer: Unless you are using quartz glass, germanium, amtir glass or zinc selenite (you aren't), then the glass is IR-opaque and should give you no trouble in measuring temperature.

I tried the rice sock.  1:30 in the microwave got it to 100C.  With the sock on the bed, and not completely covering it, I got it to 85C in about 10 minutes.  Something sized for the bed would probably go even quicker.

That's great news, I will sew up a couple bean bags and give it a try.  Thanks for trying it out Ian.

I'm getting to 90C in a few minutes with a heat gun.  I'll try and compare the time differences between no heat gun, and heat gun, and firecloth.

maybe I'll get the graphs from each using repetier

The nice thing about the cloth or rice bag is you don't have to be standing there the whole time.

IanJohnson wrote:

The nice thing about the cloth or rice bag is you don't have to be standing there the whole time.

The other nice thing about the rice bag is you can relieve the tension in your neck when your 1 hour build shifts about 6 layers from the top when you're not watching.  I've never had mine shift in X before.

I got a couple of pieces of glass from a frame store and mounted one.  It passes the heat through just fine, Pronterface said 86, for the glass the IR gun said 95-100, thermocouple said 87.  I had to put a longer Z adjustment screw in.  The one I had would't reach the switch before the glass got to the nozzle.  Fortunately I happened to have another M3 bolt lying around from who knows what.

I diluted some white glue, 1 part glue to 5 parts water, spread it over the bed and started a print.  I don't know how well it will stick but I have high hopes.  Even if you still have to use Kapton, the convenience of a removable print surface is worth it. 

http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/img_5319.jpg

With the removable surface, can you time how fast the new surface gets up to heat without turning off pronterface?  At that point, do you have to worry about the new surface seeing an abrupt change to 85-90?

14 (edited by IanJohnson 2012-09-10 03:09:30)

The first print was a success.  It stuck all of the way around and got all of the way through the print.  I had been having trouble with this one, and had resorted to spreading ABS/Acetone on the Kapton.  It also peeled off without any trouble.  It is another Pony (Daughter 2 had requested Princess Celestia) but the next print is this one - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:29365  It is a lot more challenging to print and stick.

It doesn't seem to have lost much glue, so I'm just spreading some more on and printing the next thing.

http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/img_5320.jpg

At the moment my printer is in the sweet spot for sticking nicely but coming free.

This is thanks to using your bed leveling technique, adjusting the z screw, first layers temps of 200 and 95, and finally using hairspray. I'm 100% confident for every print that the entire bottom layer will stick no matter what but still come off with a firm tug when done.

The reason I'm posting is to say that I haven't even come close to tearing the kapton, as I've never had to pry anything underneath it. The hairspray works not because it's sticky, but because it dries to leave a fine texture on the tape. Probably similar to stories I've read about people lightly sanding the tape for better sticking.

This idea may help solve my problem. The two screws in the middle of the platform are not flush. I've tried to tighten them but they appear to have a slight angle. Since they are not flush with the bed, I tend to tear the kapton at those locations. They also cause indents in the bottom of my print. If I were to use the glass method, I would have a smooth surface to work with. I beleive they cross threaded the screws and they will not seat properly.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

i like the glass i think, will be going this way as soon as i have kapton issues.
what thickness glass are you using ?
i saw very cheap panels at the hardware for photo frames but its quite thin. I think its a foot square so 4 bases, should be an easy cut.

Stoney wrote:

i like the glass i think, will be going this way as soon as i have kapton issues.
what thickness glass are you using ?
i saw very cheap panels at the hardware for photo frames but its quite thin. I think its a foot square so 4 bases, should be an easy cut.

Ian, Check this out, I was checking out the "OrdBot" that a new member was commenting on, and saw in this youtube video that they had a mirror as the bed and thought this would work just as well as your glass with the added benefit of being able to see what's happening under your fan contraption.  If nothing else it'll look cool and I enjoy spending your money by giving you ideas.  haha

That's a good idea.  I've practically stood on my head a couple times trying to see the first layer for something that was smaller than the fan duct.

I'm using 'single strength' (2mm) glass from the hardware store. Two 6x6 pieces were $5, plus another $.40 for a M3 screw and nut.

I've struggled with the level of hairspray that works the best. A fresh fine dusting seems to work best, so I've been cleaning the sheets often.

Having two print surfaces works great.  I can finish a print, swap pieces, and get back to printing pretty quickly.  I did notice the 'new' glass drops the bed temp to about 70, so there is a bit of re-heat process.  I've been putting a folded dish towel on it and it helps. I haven't tried putting the backup sheet of glass either on top of the SD or inside to preheat the glass.  That might help to shorten the reheat time.

B

Bad Coffee wrote:

I'm using 'single strength' (2mm) glass from the hardware store. Two 6x6 pieces were $5, plus another $.40 for a M3 screw and nut.

I've struggled with the level of hairspray that works the best. A fresh fine dusting seems to work best, so I've been cleaning the sheets often.

Having two print surfaces works great.  I can finish a print, swap pieces, and get back to printing pretty quickly.  I did notice the 'new' glass drops the bed temp to about 70, so there is a bit of re-heat process.  I've been putting a folded dish towel on it and it helps. I haven't tried putting the backup sheet of glass either on top of the SD or inside to preheat the glass.  That might help to shorten the reheat time.

B

Any chance we can get a video?

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Here is an interesting thread at the RepRap forum.  One user has found that sandblasting glass works really well for getting prints to stick.  There is also a suggestion for etching.   Borosilicate glass (pyrex) is a popular choice since it is made for high heat, however I'm not sure where you would get it, and have it cut.

IanJohnson wrote:

Here is an interesting thread at the RepRap forum.  One user has found that sandblasting glass works really well for getting prints to stick.  There is also a suggestion for etching.   Borosilicate glass (pyrex) is a popular choice since it is made for high heat, however I'm not sure where you would get it, and have it cut.

Finally I have a use for my airbrush sandblaster...

Not sure if a airbrush sandblaster would have enough power to "pit" the surface of glass would it?

Has anyone experimented with printing to adhesive backed sandpaper? I'm assuming it would have to be a pretty high grit if it would even work at all.