Re: [HOWTO] Convert Da Vinci Jr to RAMPS 1.4

@mysticmixles - Please don't forget that @Anthem released this under the CC BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike) as far as I remember so please consider that while making your video. Also can't remember if it was NC as well which would make monetization on your videos quite tricky business.

I'd suggest to get in touch with @Anthem and discuss this meter 1st.

Hey is anyone willing who has converted to Ramps and doesn't need the PCB from the stock XYZ hotend. to send me the PCB as my one seems to be acting up and not allowing my hotend to heat up.

If anyone does I would be willing to pay for the PCB & Shipping.

Many thanks
Simon

@s.ogorman - I'm in UK. Yours if you cover postage.

kr15_uk wrote:

@s.ogorman - I'm in UK. Yours if you cover postage.

have sent you a PM , many thanks.

s.ogorman there is a fuse that blows on these board that you can bridge... someone else has this issue. Trace from the hotend plug on the board and youll find the fuse. YOu probably blew it. I guess its common to do by mistake with the bronze bristle brush while its heating

willthiswork89 wrote:

s.ogorman there is a fuse that blows on these board that you can bridge... someone else has this issue. Trace from the hotend plug on the board and youll find the fuse. YOu probably blew it. I guess its common to do by mistake with the bronze bristle brush while its heating

If you bridge that fuse/0 ohm resistor with anything but another 0 ohm resistor you risk a fire should there be another short. Fuses are there for reasons people and anyone who bridges one or tries to defeat one deserves what they get from it. There is no excuse for it. Fix it right please, or don't fix it at all people. Just be safe.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Can anybody tell me how i would hook up the stock overhead led strip to ramps board?

I did the ramps conversion and I've printed out good test cubes somewhat but anything else with any details just becomes a mess. I'm using cura PLA 195 degrees.. Please help with the slicer settings... I've brought the speed down to 30mms just to print the cube.

carl_m1968 wrote:
willthiswork89 wrote:

If you bridge that fuse/0 ohm resistor with anything but another 0 ohm resistor you risk a fire should there be another short. Fuses are there for reasons people and anyone who bridges one or tries to defeat one deserves what they get from it. There is no excuse for it. Fix it right please, or don't fix it at all people. Just be safe.

I thought that was obvious... radioshack sells a fuse holder that you can use to bridge the burned one. no need to get presumptuous

willthiswork89 wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
willthiswork89 wrote:

I thought that was obvious... radioshack sells a fuse holder that you can use to bridge the burned one. no need to get presumptuous

There have been many on this forum that said they just put a glob of solder over the old fuse and called it done. Not so sure *I* am the presumptuous one here.

111 (edited by s.ogorman 2017-02-19 23:27:43)

Hey asking this again as I have not managed to get a PCB and I am still unable to print and really don't want to do the Ramps conversion at the moment.

Question to those that have converted to Ramps and have no need for the PCB from the stock XYZ hotend. Would anyone be willing to send me the PCB? As my one seems to be acting up and not allowing my hotend to heat up. I tried repairing it myself  with some solder but the plug that connects the heating element to PCB  seems to have torn slightly away from the PCB and everything I have tried will not work.

Happy to pay for shipping and PCB.

Many thanks
Simon

Thanks for these great instructions!
Has anyone tried this on a da Vinci mini series printer? I think it should work too, cause there are only few differences between the jr and the mini series.
One thing I was asking myself: The stock extruder modules have this contact on the right side to determine the z-axis calibration. Is it possible to make this work with a RAMPS board? In your instruction it seems like you removed it, but theres nothing written about it.

kr15_uk wrote:

@mysticmixles - Please don't forget that @Anthem released this under the CC BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike) as far as I remember so please consider that while making your video. Also can't remember if it was NC as well which would make monetization on your videos quite tricky business.

I'd suggest to get in touch with @Anthem and discuss this meter 1st.

Actually I didn't specify any license with my original writeup. As far as I'm concerned (check the SoliForum TOS), anything I wrote in this thread should be considered Public Domain.

Do with it as you will.

114 (edited by Anthem 2017-02-28 23:27:58)

Triple_S wrote:

Thanks for these great instructions!
Has anyone tried this on a da Vinci mini series printer? I think it should work too, cause there are only few differences between the jr and the mini series.
One thing I was asking myself: The stock extruder modules have this contact on the right side to determine the z-axis calibration. Is it possible to make this work with a RAMPS board? In your instruction it seems like you removed it, but theres nothing written about it.

It seems like it should be possible, but you'll of course need to make the electrical connection between the PCB and the RAMPS board somehow. I have no idea which pins on the stock ribbon cable (or what solder joints on the PCB for that matter) belong to the Z sensor.

You'll of course want to check and make sure that the voltage going to those pins is what your sensor expects -- I don't know if it's a 12v or 5v pull-up (if it's even a pull-up). Make sure to test it carefully before shorting anything.

Hi Anthem

I'm still working on mod my Jr. But seem's I stuck on part of optical sensor.
Do you have a picture of part that wiring with resistors?
Do you have a picture of part that plugging it into the 12-pin connector?
Do you have a picture of part that crimp the three JST connectors on the other end of your cables?
Moreover what 4pins on my picture does? do I need to put on Ramps?

Sorry for my bad english.
Cheers

Post's attachments

IMG20170304155937.jpg
IMG20170304155937.jpg 643.93 kb, 1 downloads since 2017-03-04 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

116 (edited by Anthem 2017-03-05 04:58:01)

tee.techa wrote:

Sorry, I don't have one handy, but I'll try to take a shot of my connector and post it here soon. The pins are laid out like this (facing the holes of the connector -- not the back where the wires go in):
YYYZZZ
XXXNNN

The pins labeled N are obviously unused (on mine there were no wires in them).

In each of the sets of three pins, it goes:

(Signal, Ground, +5v)

tee.techa wrote:

Same deal -- I'll try to post one soon if I can, but schematically it basically looks like this:

--- 220 Ohm --- 5v
             |
---------------- 12 kOhm --- Signal

--------------- Ground
tee.techa wrote:

Do you have a picture of part that crimp the three JST connectors on the other end of your cables?

Are you talking about the connectors for the endstops? Or do you actually mean the tool I use to do the crimping?

tee.techa wrote:

IIRC, that's the connector for the filament runout sensor. I never hooked mine back up (I ended up replacing my extruder anyway), and I never bothered to figure out the pinout for it. I'm not sure, but I think it's just another optical sensor -- so you'd probably have to repeat the deal with the 220 and 12k resistors in order to connect it to RAMPS as a runout sensor.

If any one else here has set up their runout sensor, would you be able to explain how you did that?

117 (edited by tee.techa 2017-03-05 06:59:52)

Anthem wrote:
tee.techa wrote:

Sorry, I don't have one handy, but I'll try to take a shot of my connector and post it here soon. The pins are laid out like this (facing the holes of the connector -- not the back where the wires go in):
YYYZZZ
XXXNNN

The pins labeled N are obviously unused (on mine there were no wires in them).

In each of the sets of three pins, it goes:

(Signal, Ground, +5v)

Clear

Anthem wrote:
tee.techa wrote:

Same deal -- I'll try to post one soon if I can, but schematically it basically looks like this:

--- 220 Ohm --- 5v
             |

--------------- Ground

So 220ohm connected on two wires 5V & signal. Am I correct?

Anthem wrote:
tee.techa wrote:

Are you talking about the connectors for the endstops? Or do you actually mean the tool I use to do the crimping?

I mean for endstop

Anthem wrote:
tee.techa wrote:

IIRC, that's the connector for the filament runout sensor. I never hooked mine back up (I ended up replacing my extruder anyway), and I never bothered to figure out the pinout for it. I'm not sure, but I think it's just another optical sensor -- so you'd probably have to repeat the deal with the 220 and 12k resistors in order to connect it to RAMPS as a runout sensor.

If any one else here has set up their runout sensor, would you be able to explain how you did that?

So this 4 pins no need to connect to ramp board ,the extruder motor can feed filament by itself. Am I correct?

Cheers

tee.techa wrote:
Anthem wrote:
tee.techa wrote:

--- 220 Ohm --- 5v
             |

--------------- Ground

So 220ohm connected on two wires 5V & signal. Am I correct?

Yes. The 220 ohm is a current-limiting resistor to avoid blowing out the IR LED in the sensor. The 12k is a pull-up resistor to keep the signal line high until the sensor's line of sight is broken, causing the signal line to be dumped to ground.

It actually doesn't matter much whether the 12k is in series with the 220 ohm or not -- the 12k by itself is plenty as a pull-up resistor. However in the way I crimped the connectors, it was easier to assemble them this way.

tee.techa wrote:
Anthem wrote:
tee.techa wrote:

I mean for endstop

I'll try to get some pictures taken and added to the main doc soon. I know I should have documented this bit better smile

tee.techa wrote:
Anthem wrote:
tee.techa wrote:

So this 4 pins no need to connect to ramp board ,the extruder motor can feed filament by itself. Am I correct?

Cheers

Yes, the extruder will work fine without the runout sensor.

Ok, I believe I have everything wired up correctly, but my steppers just sit and jerk whenever I tell them to move. If they do move, it'll only let them move in the negative direction. And the ones that don't move just make a noise while they are trying to move, but stay in the same place. For example, when I tell them to return home, they sit still and all make noises like they are moving, when they're not... Even when I do turn around the connectors. Also, can you provide pictures of what the endstop wires look like?

120 (edited by mysticmixles 2017-03-13 01:57:17)

KTMetcalfe wrote:

Ok, I believe I have everything wired up correctly, but my steppers just sit and jerk whenever I tell them to move. If they do move, it'll only let them move in the negative direction. And the ones that don't move just make a noise while they are trying to move, but stay in the same place. For example, when I tell them to return home, they sit still and all make noises like they are moving, when they're not... Even when I do turn around the connectors. Also, can you provide pictures of what the endstop wires look like?

If it only moves in one direction, your endstops aren't connected properly. I've attached a picture of the shitty endstop cable I made. Don't do it as bad as me, but that works.

If your steppers jerk, you should tune the drivers. You want .5-.55v normally. Using a multimeter on the ground on power and on the screw on the driver, tune it to .5v. You need to use VERY small movements.

If you need further help, feel free to add me on skype @ striderscales

Post's attachments

IMG_20170101_140831.jpg
IMG_20170101_140831.jpg 2.72 mb, 2 downloads since 2017-03-13 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

It looks really awesome. I would suggest you put the lighter acrylic base. Anyways, thanks to all your efforts.

Hi and thank you for this HOWTO conversion ! It's very cool!
I wanted to ask can i replace mega+ramps1.4 with this http://www.ebay.com/itm/SainSmart-2-in- … Sw~otWeQp~ and basically follow rest of instructions from your tutorial ?

Thank you in advance!

123 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-04-18 18:57:05)

roope.jarvenpaa wrote:

I wanted to ask can i replace mega+ramps1.4 with this http://www.ebay.com/itm/SainSmart-2-in- … Sw~otWeQp~ and basically follow rest of instructions from your tutorial ?

Thank you in advance!

For the most part that is just a RAMPS 1.4 shield and the Arduino main board all combined on one board so yes it will work..
If a stepper driver ever fails which they do, you will have to replace the entire board. With a RAMPS you can just replace the defective driver.

It's pricey though as you can get a RAMPS and Arduino for about $20USD .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mega-2560-A … rkt%3D1%26

124 (edited by roope.jarvenpaa 2017-04-18 19:45:07)

carl_m1968 wrote:
roope.jarvenpaa wrote:

Thank you in advance!

For the most part that is just a RAMPS 1.4 shield and the Arduino main board all combined on one board so yes it will work..
If a stepper driver ever fails which they do, you will have to replace the entire board. With a RAMPS you can just replace the defective driver.

Thank you for reply ! But it does have slots for external drivers ? Or why should they sell kits with 5x external drivers ? See "photoshopped" picture xD http://soliforum.com/i/?ZG9HOmh.png

And i was thinking about to buy http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ramps-1-4-M … 4613a2a8c8 as i want heated bed too. I want to make sure this kit contains all i need for this tutorial ? Ofc i have loads of basic electronic components on my own ( resistors and cabels etc. ) as im electrical engineer.

Thank you for replies!

125 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-04-18 19:56:22)

roope.jarvenpaa wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
roope.jarvenpaa wrote:

Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reply ! But it does have slots for external drivers ? Or why should they sell kits with 5x external drivers ? See "photoshopped" picture xD http://soliforum.com/i/?ZG9HOmh.png

And i was thinking about to buy http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ramps-1-4-M … 4613a2a8c8 as i want heated bed too. I want to make sure this kit contains all i need for this tutorial ? Ofc i have loads of basic electronic components on my own ( resistors and cabels etc. ) as im electrical engineer.

Thank you for replies!

Apologies, as I was going by the image which by the is what you will get in that listing and nothing else. The stepper drivers are extra and that kit lower on the page is $190 not including shipping. So yes you can replace the drivers. I would still avoid an all in one board as the RAMPS sections are known to fail and if it does you have to replace the entire board versus a 15 dollar RAMPS shield. The Arduino board rarely fails.

If I was to go with an all in one I would go with Azteeg X3 Pro from Panucatt Devices. They have a very high quality rate and very dependable.They are all I use.