Re: E3D Titan extruder

Makes sense to me.  The wires running to the bed probably get grounded when the stock extruder screw (which always drove me nuts because it messed up prints!) touches it.

I'm glad I could help you.

smile

Da Vinci 1.0a.  Repetier 0.92.  E3D V6.  Titan Extruder.  Sllic3r.  Octoprint on Raspberry Pi B+.

327 (edited by wiley 2016-05-26 16:56:55)

Here's a slight teaser:

http://soliforum.com/i/?aJu9WLJ.jpg

328 (edited by viperz28 2016-05-26 17:13:56)

wiley wrote:

Here's a slight teaser:

http://soliforum.com/i/?BAx2G5O.jpg

Wow, looks good!!! When will we get to see it in full? Such a tease!!! Now I NEED to find out more... :-)

Wait, are you talking about the printed part or the carriage? I would like to know what carriage that is.

329 (edited by Telemachus 2016-05-26 18:20:03)

Its his custom carriage printing the new version of his custom carriage!

With one of the largest brims i have ever seen!

Da Vinci 1.0a.  Repetier 0.92.  E3D V6.  Titan Extruder.  Sllic3r.  Octoprint on Raspberry Pi B+.

Telemachus wrote:

Will the files be shared?

331 (edited by wiley 2016-05-26 19:25:05)

viperz28 wrote:
Telemachus wrote:

Will the files be shared?

Yes. I'm holding onto it until I have something people can print with a reasonable expectation that it will work without all the MacGyvering I had to do on the carriage you see in use there, but at that point I'll toss up a Thingiverse link.

Right now, my endstop flag is literally a molex connector scotch taped to the carriage because the original endstop flag was 2mm too far back and rammed the opto sensor. Not exactly going to give folks a good experience big_smile

I had limited luck today with Esun Woodfill filament.  Half way through a print, I got a clog in the heat break of the E3D V6. 

The worse part about using the stock carriage is how much of a pain it is to get the v6 out of the Titan. 

I'm eager to see what Wiley comes up with!

Sorry to keep teasing you, but I noticed that my print quality was declining and I finally figured out this morning that my belt gripper is allowing some play. Less than a tooth, but it's enough to throw everything off. Some more tweaking to be done, I'm afraid.

wiley wrote:

Sorry to keep teasing you, but I noticed that my print quality was declining and I finally figured out this morning that my belt gripper is allowing some play. Less than a tooth, but it's enough to throw everything off. Some more tweaking to be done, I'm afraid.

Your killing us :-) Glad to hear you are ironing things out though.

2 weeks now with the V6/Titan combo.  The v6 is obviously sweet, and a great upgrade to the printer.  The Titan seems to be performing well, grips everything I throw at it. 

I am yet to try any flexibles, although I do have some flexible PLA that I plan on throwing at it.

The only problem I have had so far is woodfill filament, that got stuck in the cold-end of the v6.  I think my retraction settings were off, but haven't had the courage to try it again after how much effort it took to clean it out!

What size nozzle were you using with the woodfill?

Telemachus wrote:

The only problem I have had so far is woodfill filament, that got stuck in the cold-end of the v6.  I think my retraction settings were off, but haven't had the courage to try it again after how much effort it took to clean it out!

That's really surprising too hear.
Mine prints wood pretty well with the E3D and stock extruder (although with a PLA idler) and I have retraction set at 3.5mm. I get a lot of stringing otherwise.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

0.4 nozzle.   I had to go to 4mm retract otherwise it was all a spider web.  About an hour into the print the extruder stopped pushing and just milled a circle in the filament.  I think maybe the clog came first though

0.4mm nozzles can clog with Woodfill, 0.6mm or 0.8mm are recommended. 4mm is a lot of retraction on a direct setup, that could have caused the clogging as well.

340 (edited by scobo 2016-06-07 18:44:07)

Telemachus wrote:

Just noticed Simplify3d has a "coasting" option in the retraction settings.
It's supposed to help reduce ooze by reducing pressure in the nozzle.
I'm trying it now with Timberfill (wood filament) and will report back.

Update :

Well, that went pretty well.
Much less stringing with the Timberfill with coasting set at 0.6mm.
Not perfect but a big improvement !

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

Telemachus wrote:

So the 12V fan on the v6 is always on (and at full speed)?

For those with the 1.0A, I am surprised that more people haven't looked into this option to gain firmware control of the second fan:

https://github.com/luc-github/Repetier- … /issues/64

It looks like a 1k resistor and NPN transistor are all that are needed to populate the second fan plug.

Have you ran into anyone using a relay powered by the daughter boards fan power to control the 12v power to the E3D V6 fans?
I think I'd rather do that instead of a layer fan I can turn on by on/off switch.

342 (edited by Telemachus 2016-06-08 03:10:12)

I've had good luck with the stock 5V hotend fan as a layer fan.  It can be controlled via gcode if you select that option in repetier prior to flashing...

A NPN transistor should be adequate if you really want 12v.  Maybe a 1k current limiting resister going to base.

So I've been converting my Duo to E3D V6 with direct Titan extruder. Well after installing the right hotend and extruder I noticed that the left Titan cannot be installed because the drive wheel gets in the way. The result will be right will direct and left will be Bowden.

http://soliforum.com/i/?Cu1bIce.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?zHe0Zp9.jpg

One direct and one Bowden extruder on the DaVinci Duo. As soon as another Titan arrives the Bowden extruder will be complete. Used 5v relays to control when the E3D V6 fans engage, no change in programming.

345 (edited by Telemachus 2016-06-14 16:10:09)

You cut Titan in half?? 

That's hard core, dude!

You could have printed a holder for the v6 for pennies and saved a $60 Titan.

I think it is best to keep the v6 fans on ALWAYS, as recommended by E3D.  The cold part of the hot-end is supposed to stay cold for a reason. 

Using your relays for 12V layer fans controllable by G-code makes more sense to me.

Either way, awesome work!

I cut the Titan in half to maintain the proper distance for the second nozzle. I tried other E3D V6 mounts but they could get the proper distance so bye bye Titan.

As soon as power is applied to the nozzle's heater the Duo send power to the fans, so power is always applied when the heaters are on and turn off after nozzles cool to about 45 C.

I would imagine that the top part of the titan, with it's gears in tact, could still be used on your stepper for the "pusher" side of the bowden.  You could just zip-tie it together and use the top 2 screws. 

If you don't want the top part, I'll buy it off you.

smile

If my new Titan comes with all the parts, sure. One came without the tension arm and E3D had to send me one. They sent it overnight, awesome company.

Apparently you can't use the right as a main extruder. Slic3r and cura set it to the left extruder. There's a bug in repetier that when you slice (right or second extruder) with either it sends it to the first extruder. So I had to change the setup and make #2 (right) extruder the bowden since I want to use flexible filament.

every time I make a bonehead move (e.g clog after switching from ABS to PLA with too low temp) I am sick of tearing my printer apart to get the extruder off. Need to find a way to get back to easy removal of extruder.