Re: Please list software you use for Modelling & Design

Inventor also does a great job converting dwg files to stl for printing

Bill
indimension3.com

Autodesk 3Ds Max - Zbrush (for easier organic shapes) - Netfabb

Rhino 3D user here, I've always loved Rhino, easy to learn the basics and a lot more use friendly than Sketchup.

I use Creo 2.0 but I have been using pro/engineer for about 10 years, 6 yrs full time.  It is not very user friendly/intuitive, but is very powerful once you have taken the time to learn it.  I have also been using solidedge, more for its direct modeling capabilities.  I would suggest starting with solidedge.

Geomagic is a good software for cleaning up scanned models, been using that for a little while, too.

Brad wrote:

Probably easier to tweak the measurements in openscad quickly than sketch up, as you just have to change the numerical values instead of visually dragging the faces in sketchup.

In sketchup you can use the scale tool and all tools I can think of support numeric entry.

I code but have not learned openscad yet however the things I see it do quite a bit that are paralleled in sketchup are rotate copy with a multiplier and intersect.

Sketchup requires a bit of fiddling to get things right, two extensions that help are CleanUp and Solid Inspector. And of course the STL utility.

If you can not get your head around drawing proper complicated hollow solids in sketchup then you will definitely need Netfabb basic to repair almost everything. Sometimes you can just export the part, repair it, bring it back in, clean it, and keep going from there with a manifold, non overlapping/self-intersecting faces design.

HP ME10/30 (used back in the day)
PDGS (for Ford legacy data, now obs)
NX I-DEAS 6.1 (currently most proficient in)
UG NX 8.5 (transitioning to, phasing out I-DEAS)
Catia V5 R19 (have on my box, never used other than exporting)
Autodesk 2013 Bundle (use to convert stl's to solids and for suppler dwgs)
also have Solidworks but use it mostly for quick 2D sketches (nice and simple)

Currently using Solidworks for all design purposes.  3d ripper x, 3d studio, and blender to grab models out of video games if its something I want to make, but the files are always warped so its more to get a decent point of reference so i can make it from scratch in solidworks.  Basically if you have no experience what so ever, any program you want to use you can learn the basics to get yourself off the ground from youtube, then a lot of trial and error to learn the rest.  Either way its tons of fun doing this "work".

Overkill is underrated!!!

Hi,
I started with online services: 3DTin and project Shapeshifter. After - SketchUp and Blender.

I use Solid works, but Inventor and Solid edge are functionally identical.

-SD3, E3Dv5, boz's E3D extruder, ABS from Sainsmart, mirror bed + dried hairspray + ABS slurry
-KevlarGorilla's 8x bearing threadless ball screw, 2n2r5's spring'd bed stabilizer
-fts_ltx's x-carriage, lawsy's v5 y-axis carriages, 2n2r5's beltless drive
-Overhead filament holder on 8mm rod, custom fillament feed, paeltz's simple enclosure, mini heater (opt)

FWIW, I use ViaCADhttp://www.punchcad.com/p-27-viacad-2d3d-v9.aspx  by PunchCAD.  Still in the trial, but for me it is VERY easy to create 3D objects. no lag at all in the interface.   Will probably purchase when it is up.  They have flash sales via email(which you need to supply to donwload, I own a few domains so make specific ones for stuff like this) Highest one was 40% so far.  I tried a bunch of the freebies, and either they were cumbersome (to me), or were lacking in an easy way to do simple things (3D fillets in Sketchup) or bogged my rather old machine (P4 running XP) down (123D)

Used Sketchup initially, but had difficulties when draging shapes and trying to put holes in them (keychains, tags, etc).  Have had a bit more success with openscad for simple plugs and grommets - haven't tried the tricky stuff yet. 

Next "project" for Openscad will be trying to create a remote holder to bolt to gear shift console for in-car stereo.  - once I get the nozzle rebuilt after a bit of a communications breakdown on a phone holder print.

i use cinema 4d,solidworks,some times 3DS max and also i'm learning on (catia,zbrush,turbocad,autocad,)

Which of these is the best free (or no more then $100) one with the easiest interface?
I have used TinkerCAD, very easy to use but simple. Blender seems so complex that it is hard to use. I spent days trying to import a simple SVG shape and trying to extrude it right with no luck even following many tutorials (and I am usually pretty good at these things).

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

If it matters,  I am using my SD2 s for making custom pendants etc...not needing precise measurements most of the time, nor moving parts.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

solijohn wrote:

One honorable mention would be OpenScad:
Open scad is great for the programming minded user, who might want to program up his own scalable models.

openscad looks nice, going to try it. thanks. :-)

------ - - - = = = techno chef = = =  - - - ------
do we consider our machines the tools? or have we become the tools of our machines?.

[link removed]

nice, it is quitely widely used , and this professional used.  3dprinting.org

zbrush & cinema 4d

I Used the alibre Personal edition for a while. then upgraded to geomagic that was a mistake as it went belly up when my subscription ran out. And the folks at Geomagic did not even answer the phone.
But cube 3D split the line geomagic is the pro software and cubify invent is only $50 but will only do stl I want the cubify design that will produce 3- drawings as well  that is $199. Both available for 14 day free trial.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

When I decided I needed to learn CAD in order to design a model for 3D printing, I spent on the order of 2 solid weeks downloading every open source, free and free trial CAD program available, and even bought a few cheapie programs.

To say I found the experience to be frustrating would be the understatement of the year. One of the most obnoxious features I found is there seems to be a trend toward cutsiepie, artsy, color schemes that are impossibly hard on the eyes. IMO, I think it was Blender that was among the worst in that respect -- black lines on a dark grey background and microscopic buttons.

Anyhow, after downloading and testing every CAD program I could find (I tried well over a dozen), I have now been using Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express 4.0 for about three months. It has its pros and cons, but overall it is a pretty intuitive program, had a lot of functionality and the learning curve is nowhere near as steep as it is on some of the programs I tested. Best of all, it's a free download with registration. I'm using it for mechanical engineering type stuff, working with geometric shapes. I don't know how suitable it would be for more artsy type stuff, but it works great for designing parts for export in .stl for 3D printing. IMO, for what is and what it can do, it is under used and under appreciated in the 3D printing world, especially considering it's free to use as long as you like. It's not easy to find on the company's website, as they're more interested in selling their for profit software, but if you're determined, you can eventually track it down.

YouTube has a number of amateur videos on how to work it, which are pretty much a prerequisite to using it as there is no customer support or instructions for it. Most of it is fairly intuitive, but the parts that aren't are decidedly baffling without instructions. Anyhow, if you don't have several grand to blow on a CAD program to use with a $600 printer, the Creo freebie is a great program that isn't too difficult to learn for those of us without an engineering degree.

I've been using AutoCAD Architectural Desktop 2004.  Clunky, but has met most of my needs so far, and I've been using AutoCAD since the late 80's...  Might look at Creo, though I'd really like to get into the SolidWorks architecture.

SD 4 (w/ updated firmware).  RH 1.0.3/CuraEngine.  Windows 7.  Enclosure with heated glass bed.

121 (edited by sdfghjhrd 2014-11-06 07:00:21)

YouTube includes a range of amateur videos on the way to work it, that ar just about a necessity to mistreatment it as there's no client support or directions for it. Most of it's fairly intuitive, however the elements {that arn't|that are not} are definitely problematic while not directions. Anyhow, if you do not have many grand to blow on a CAD program to use with a $600 printer, the Creo gift may be a nice program that may not too tough to find out for those people while not associate engineering degree.

Still trying to find the right modeler.  I've been using tinkercad and have done my first model for commercial sale. It went well but I've reached the limitations of what tinkercad has to offer and it will not work for future products.  So I have once again started my search for a replacement.

I'm trying to get myself to learn some real CAD over the winter and wanted to share the cheap/free apps that I am currently looking at. 

nickythegreek wrote:

Still trying to find the right modeler.

Long time no see!

When I first started looking for modeling software I was overwhelmed with the choices.  Even narrowing it down to the free ones was still quite a few.  Then I found this flow chart (http://www.instructables.com/id/Which-3 … -printing/) that helped me finally pick one. 

I finally settled on using 123D Design since it is simple but yet has some advanced features.  I've been able to find workarounds for some of its shortcomings, so I haven't outgrown it yet.  But then again, I'm just beginning.

SD Press
Modeling software: 123D Design

Hey elmoret!  I've been busy with work and my motorcycle lately. Printed a hold down bracket for my battery and recently purchased some ninjaflex to try and produce some custom grips. It is getting cold in Ohio, so I figured its time to try again to tackle the modeling side of 3d printers again.

mwille, I was using that chart too!  My concern with 123D Design is that it requires a monthly account fee to be used for commercial work and I am unsure the quality of output that I can expect.  I did some rings through shapeway that was designed in tinkercad and the circles had to many facets for my taste.