Re: Please list software you use for Modelling & Design

IanJohnson wrote:

Have you looked at Creo?  It's free and seems pretty full featured.

http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-elemen … g-express/

Finally got around to trying this out...

your tip on the Pro/E roots was good.

I poked around the tool bars, and followed a couple of the getting started tutorials, and Immediately I feel at home and can do things a lot faster than I was previously doing in sketch up.

it does lack a couple of cool features that sketch up has though, (or at least I haven't found them yet.

(for example 3d text is a 2-click menu operation in sketch up, followed by a simple pull for 3d, haven't figured out if it's even possible in this package yet. (no worries if it's not, I'll just use both!) -the only trouble is when I want a part that actually has the text in it.

the best of both worlds may be using two separate apps. -but since they are both free, i don't feel I can complain too loudly!!

FWIW: I'm using an older version of Amapi.  It's not problem free, though.  Some of my designs can't be run through skienforge.  Still troubleshooting that...

53 (edited by Sam Inman 2012-11-16 07:34:14)

macmub wrote:

Solidworks, Mastercam & Key Creator

I am using a Solidoodle printer. Skeinforge does not convert my STL's saved out of Solidworks to gcode. I have tryed saving out in every way I could find in the STL format, and noting works. any thoughts? As Well, the test STL sent with the Skeinforge software does work.

Begs to be repeated, but is your model watertight?  Slicing software just hates it when a model has holes or dupe faces/vertices.  Run it through MeshLab or Netfabb to see if it can fix the errors and then try to re-slice.

Sam Inman wrote:
macmub wrote:

Solidworks, Mastercam & Key Creator

I am using a Solidoodle printer. Skeinforge does not convert my STL's saved out of Solidworks to gcode. I have tryed saving out in every way I could find in the STL format, and noting works. any thoughts? As Well, the test STL sent with the Skeinforge software does work.

Saving from Solidworks:
1. Make sure your origin is correct, and your XYZ are in the right direction
2. Make sure units of the part are set to mm (Tools|Options|Document Properties|Units|MMGS
3. Save As|STL| Options
4. Output as Binary, Resolution Fine, Uncheck Show STL info, Check "Do not translate STL output data to positive space" 
5. If you've made a secondary coordinate system, pick your coordinate system from the dropdown

Those are the settings I use and works most times.  Occasionally (1 in 30) I have to run through cloud.netfabb.com for some cleanup. 

Hope it helps

I have been using Autodesk Inventor.

57 (edited by rtrski 2012-11-24 15:14:47)

Started out with Sketchup.  Got frustrated when even the easiest things took multiple steps and opened too many holes in the solid, unpredictably.  Things like using the 'follow me' just to do chamfers or fillets. 

Downloaded Alibre, but read a few horror stories about support and pushy sales (including here) and wasn't sure I'd be willing to pay the $200, so actually haven't installed it yet.

Muddled thru a few parts with FreeCAD.  Bugs out regularly, find it horribly clunky overall.  All the features, no coherence.  BUT that said it does tend to make a nice model eventually, and is still my go-to for final steps after exporting STLs from elsewhere (see below).

Recently found Creo Elements myself from a pretty good listing

(which I can't link now as a new poster.  do a websearch on 'craftsmanspace free 3d cad' and it should show up)

also recognized it from a post of Ian's (been reading here before I registered) and downloaded it, and think I'm in love.  Free?  Amazing...and totally eliminates any urge to pay for (or even try at this point) Alibre.  The only thing it seems I can't figure out how to do that I wish I could is the 3D text as someone else mentioned, and it will Export but will not Import STL.  But it does surface blending, varying-radius chamfers and fillets, all very smoothly and easily.

So, I think my 'real' part designs will be done in Creo now - features remain easily editable for tweaks after prototype printing and the like, has some nice clash analysis for multipart assemblies that need to be glued after printing.  Hold on to Sketchup for outputting 3D text STLs, and use FreeCAD to import and unite the two if I want text embossing on the part.  (Plus I find Creo's coordinate system "origin" a little hard to figure out since everything is working planes - seems to be the origin of the first working plane w1...but I tend to delete working planes to keep the clutter down as I make parts.  Just as easy to push the STL over to FreeCAD briefly, reorient if necessary, and re-output.  Then again, I confess to using Repetier's bedding to do the same: import 2-3 STLs, place and rotate how I need to, then slide them all over to "off the bed" around the (0,0) origin to resave and then do actual slicing/printing in Skeinforge/Pronterface.

rtrski,

Linked here for you:
http://www.ptc.com/community/free-downloads.htm

Follow down the page to PTC Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express

Thanks - I was trying to post the link to a good listing of different 3D software options I found on a guy's website, 'craftsmanspace', not the Creo link.

But I remain really pleased with Creo, none of the FreeCAD open-source inconsistency and bugginess, none of the cost of Alibre, virtually all the features I could want (aside from the 3D text, again).

Done

http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-soft … tware.html

6 more posts for link posting activation.

Hello everybody,

i'm new there and i use truespace 3.2

i don't know if the objects i create can be printed with the solidoodle...

bobusmalus wrote:

Hello everybody,

i'm new there and i use truespace 3.2

i don't know if the objects i create can be printed with the solidoodle...

If you can export as an STL file you can print.  Or if you can export as something that can be converted to an STL you can print.    Welcome

Truespace should export to Wavefront format (.obj).  From there, download Meshlab and you can use it to convert to an STL and fix any issues that may be occuring with your mesh.

We are using 3DS Max, exports STL directly. Also has an STL Check modifier to check over models before printing.

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

65 (edited by bobusmalus 2012-11-27 12:00:00)

Thanks a lot to everybody !
With Truespace 3.2 i can export in :
.cob
.asc
.x
.dxf
.can
.rsd

and if i use a special extension, i can use the .obj
(i tried to upload an object i made to shapeways.com but i have a big problem of scale)

With truespace 5.1, i can save object as .3ds too.

With truespace 7.6 i can't open my old files... that's too bad.

If someone can try to print one of my models to try if it works, that would be really nice (i really have a lot of creations). Then he will keep it, of course !

I'm working on some creations of toys made from the old tv animated i watched.
Some examples :

Post's attachments

examples.jpg
examples.jpg 154.09 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-27 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Okay so save them out as .obj files, download the program meshlab (it's free) and you should be able to import the .obj and save out as .stl. 

One thing I would caution on your designs which look amazing, is that you can't have unsupported overhangs because the printer can't print in air.  You can turn on support in the slicing software but this will fill the insides of your room and be next to impossible to remove.  Look for places to split the model in 2 and glue it together after it's done.

Thanks a lot.
Of course, i can't print in air... ! I really didn't think about it. I saw the 3d printers on youtube and when the object was printed, the outside was like dust. Only the object stayed on the support.
I think the solidoodle isn't really the kind of printer i can use for some of my creations.
But i think too that it can be useful for some other !
I can try to put the parts like a model kit... not only 2 parts but more.
Your advice is very useful !

I don't want to disuade you, you can still print with support material turned on that can be removed, but interior volumes with support you won't have a way to remove the support material.

See below a picture of a cat with support material turned on.  The support material if done correctly just peels away from the model.

http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/3dpcat1.jpg?w=600&h=361

poor little cat !
That must hurt ! lol.

That's ok, i understand.
I'll put a picture of what i can do with my models !

Bobusmalus,
One thing to caution.  Your models must be manifold which basically means that they must be "watertight."  The object must be singular and contiguous over surface.  So while those are awesome models, they won't necessarily print well as a single object.  Your Ninja turtles van would probably be the best one to try first as it could probably stand on its own with support, but you would have to boolean the model as one single object, which could cause problems.  If you want the wheels to move you would have to design them to fit onto axles built onto the frame of the van, but they would probably print out well. 

Moving parts are kind of painful without a cad program as you have to get a feel for fit on the pieces.  What fits well in a 3d modelling program would suffer from shrinkage of the plastic due to cooling.  I've recently modeled a proof of concept hinge that works pretty well in order to create a pokeball for my kids, and it took a couple of prints to make sure that I was getting it to fit just right.  Now that I have the proportions down, I can fit it into the model and it should work well.  Now for the test of attaching it to the hemisphere...

That being said, you're going to have to adjust your thinking to take this into account when designing things to print.  Not saying it can't be done in a 3d modeling program (I do all the time), just that creating objects for animation is a heck of a lot easier than real life objects as virtual objects don't care if they intersect, but the slicing program just doesn't like it. 

Jump into the pool and join us, and if you want, post an .obj file and we can try to dissect it to see if it works.  It's almost all trial and error for us here, so you're in good company.

71 (edited by bobusmalus 2012-11-27 23:08:17)

Thanks again for your help.
I'll post the ninja turtles van as soon as i can.
For it, i think the best is to make it without wheels and the back of the van on the ground, then the cannons can be printed in 3d with the rest of the body.
the mirrors and the small radar can be printed with the wheels.

I tried meshlab. It's amazing but i don't understand half of the options... I'm french and it's hard for me... lol.

I add a challenge for those who wants to have a cool futuristic vehicle. Its name is storm.

Post's attachments

storm.obj 1.38 mb, 16 downloads since 2012-11-27 

turtle.obj 1.64 mb, 13 downloads since 2012-11-27 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

danny wrote:
IanJohnson wrote:

Have you looked at Creo?  It's free and seems pretty full featured.

http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-elemen … g-express/

Finally got around to trying this out...

your tip on the Pro/E roots was good.

I poked around the tool bars, and followed a couple of the getting started tutorials, and Immediately I feel at home and can do things a lot faster than I was previously doing in sketch up.

it does lack a couple of cool features that sketch up has though, (or at least I haven't found them yet.

(for example 3d text is a 2-click menu operation in sketch up, followed by a simple pull for 3d, haven't figured out if it's even possible in this package yet. (no worries if it's not, I'll just use both!) -the only trouble is when I want a part that actually has the text in it.

the best of both worlds may be using two separate apps. -but since they are both free, i don't feel I can complain too loudly!!

Have you tested Autodesk 123D? How does this compare to Creo elements?

bobusmalus wrote:

I'm french and it's hard for me... lol.

Say no more...  tongue  j/k

English speakers don't understand Meshlab either.  We just click stuff and hope.

I just Edit->Fill Holes and hope for the best.  Usually confirms if I've been modeling correctly.  Otherwise dreaded:

"Holes managing requires manifoldness"

which throws me off my rocker as I have to go back to the modeler and try to figure out why the dang thing isn't manifold.