Topic: Please list software you use for Modelling & Design

I am using

Inkscape + blender

Not that great but usable. How about you?

Re: Please list software you use for Modelling & Design

Solidworks, Mastercam & Key Creator

Solidworks is some serious stuff. Does it take a long time to learn it?

Ive been experimenting with a program called SpaceClaim, it reminds me a lot of how sketch up works.

Solidworks costs $3k+, it should be pretty good for that price, but too expensive for beginner like me.

I run my own press tooling company...perks include being able to play with cad software and nc's all day :-)

That's neat. Are you using the solidoodle for your business as well?

It may come in handy.
Being a small business we get alot of requests for low volume injection moulds...some of those jobs could have easily been done by the solidoodle.

I can already see plenty of applications for it but I dont even have a printer yet so I dont won't to get to far ahead of myself.

Only a toy to start with but if it performs well who knows.

Would be awesome to have a shelf of them haha.

Do you have a website for your company? Just in case anyone here wants to use your services.

I've been using Lightwave 3D for motion graphics for years, and for the past year have been designing models and printing them via Shapeways.

I have also heard good things about Alibre for 3d printing designs.

I use Autodesk Inventor for my CAD needs.

wq7278 wrote:

I am using

Inkscape + blender

Not that great but usable. How about you?

I remember working with blender, I never really figured out how to work it haha.

Kyle wrote:

I use Autodesk Inventor for my CAD needs.

Autodesk's 123d catch is a pretty cool app too.

14 (edited by Jon 2012-08-08 05:13:38)

I use SolidWorks and Sketchup (when I just want to throw together a rough design).

Interested designers should consider that SolidWorks is certainly worth the learning curve if you have any serious intentions.  One thing to note is that SolidWorks is offered as a student version for (I think) anyone currently enrolled in high school or college for something around $150.  The license may only be for a year, I'm not entirely certain--but worth a look.  If anyone's interested, I'll try to find the source for that.

I use solidworks as well. I know several people who sign up for a community college course so that they can have solidworks student version. $200 for a course and $150 for student edition is way better than $3000+ and hey you might learn something.

Since i'm n00b at 3d Modelling, i've only been using Google Sketchup for now smile But it works really well.

Takes me few mins to create something cool and print it! smile Google Sketchup is recommended for beginners and advanced users.

Sketchup is actually quite widely used, even by professionals for simple tasks smile

Since I do not have an engineering background, I'm using nevercenter silo 2 and maxon cinema 4d. If anyone is into poly modeling, you've got to give Silo a go. It's the most comfortable modeler out there. Unfortunately they stopped development :-(

One honorable mention would be OpenScad: http://www.openscad.org/
Open scad is great for the programming minded user, who might want to program up his own scalable models.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

I used Openscad to create this board hex tile for a travel Settlers of Catan I'm working on. I haven't uploaded it to Thingiverse yet as I want to test the connectors first. I'm guessing they'll need tweaking before they work properly.

Post's attachments

SOC_BoardHex.stl 169.47 kb, 119 downloads since 2012-08-08 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Probably easier to tweak the measurements in openscad quickly than sketch up, as you just have to change the numerical values instead of visually dragging the faces in sketchup.

Indeed, that's Openscad's strongest feature and why I use it.

When I was learning this stuff at Uni I used pro-Engineer (now called Wildfire) -though it was great

now I'm a real grown up with kids to support I can't go spaffing loads of money on 3d CAD tools so I'm using a free version of sketch-up for now.

at the moment I feel it does everything I want.
sure it lacks some of the usability of pro-E, I miss having different views of the object displayed on a single screen. (and I'm not looking forward to creating anything that has complicated internal parts.)

but I'll cross that bridge when (and if) I get to it.

Danny, check out Creo Elements Direct-  http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-elemen … g-express/

It's a descendant of sorts of Pro/E, so it may be familiar.  It's certainly more powerful than sketchup, and just as free.  I've been using Alibre, but I'm meaning to try out Creo when I have some time to learn software, rather than trying to get something made.

I checked out openScad, it is nice. Very programmable modeling.

solidoodlesupport wrote:

One honorable mention would be OpenScad: http://www.openscad.org/
Open scad is great for the programming minded user, who might want to program up his own scalable models.