Re: Please list software you use for Modelling & Design

bobusmalus wrote:

Thanks again for your help.
I'll post the ninja turtles van as soon as i can.
For it, i think the best is to make it without wheels and the back of the van on the ground, then the cannons can be printed in 3d with the rest of the body.
the mirrors and the small radar can be printed with the wheels.

I tried meshlab. It's amazing but i don't understand half of the options... I'm french and it's hard for me... lol.

I add a challenge for those who wants to have a cool futuristic vehicle. Its name is storm.

I would be very interested to see how the Ninja Turtles van turns out, it has a lot of intersecting meshes. I attached all of the meshes together, and dropped an STL Check on them in Max, and it passed, so all of the meshes are closed volumes. But Slic3r is going to have to do a lot of booleans to work out what it actually is making, and I don't know how well that will turn out.

The Storm car has some STL Check problems (lots of open faces)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TBnDGxC1Jqs/ULa0IfobBCI/AAAAAAAAAsQ/xTlX6WR0iWU/s1024/STL%2520Errors.PNG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zftY_n9oCbU/ULa0IeX7S_I/AAAAAAAAAsQ/GVRrUulqUg0/s1024/STL%2520Errors%25202.PNG

But they all seem to be easily fixable, just a whole load of verts that have not been welded. The cylinder with the arrows (gizmo) on it in the first picture needs to have end caps, as that is an open mesh.

I am personally surprised how dirty meshes can be and Slic3r will cope with it. But I try my best to keep intersections to a minimum, and if they exist only simple shapes. I have had some meshes where it has failed, and duplicates the last good sliced layer repetively until it gets to a layer it can continue slicing with. Netfabb has generally fixed these for me.

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

Except that when I do "Edit -> Fill Hole" I usually get a message like "No Holes"...  Then I bring it into Repetier and get a warning telling me that there are holes.  The one time I did actually get meshlab to detect holes and list them for correction, it would eventually find one that it couldn't fix and crash....hard.

Now, I pretty much ignore meshlab for fixing holes.

"English speakers don't understand Meshlab either.  We just click stuff and hope."
It's really good for me to read that !

For the "storm" model, i did'nt really explain why there are so much holes inside...
it's only because i originally made a transforming vehicle.
Of course, that's why it was a challenge !

I wanted to know if you all create your own models or if you print models found on the web ?
If anyone has models he created and printed that would be nice to show them !

I think most of us model what we print.  Look in the STLs and showoff subforum and you'll see a lot of examples.

Thanks !
I didn't see these part of the forum...
Very cool !

I still use openscad almost exclusively. the more you use it the easier it gets.

SolidWorks for the detailed STLs, & Cubify Invent ($49 from Cubify.com) for most of the simpler stuff. 

NOTE ON CUBIFY INVENT: 
Before I managed to get a licensed copy of our SolidWorks on my home PC, I bought Cubify Invent.  The software has a great interface and a simple learning curve.  There ARE limitations, such as not having the ability to place text on a curve, etc., but there are walk-arounds for that, such as independent angled planes, etc.  Other than a few limitations, the software is really versatile and well thought out.  It's no match for SW but it is fast, easy to learn, and most of all a lot of fun.

PROJECTS:

To date I have done these things in Cubify Invent:

-Custom Lamborghini wheel centercap
-Sport Mesh (Hex design) insert for intake vent on a Xenox Custom
-center hub on Lamborghini Murcielago Steering wheel ('06)
-Signal switch steering column hub-style mount (1972 BMW)

It works well (I cannot personally testify to the level of transference into the Solidoodle software, as I don't have my printer yet, and am relying on a friend to print these parts.  He said the STLs were great and the finished product looks pretty good).

On exterior pieces, I have a LOT of finish work, but it's worth it, and I'm enjoying the challenge.  Can't wait for my printer to arrive, lol! 

Sincerely,
Kevin

I will add my 2c to this discussion.
I have recently used Solid Edge, NX, Catia and Solidworks.

I found Solidworks the easiest to learn and the most straightforward to use. IMO, the interface is better designed and easiest to intuit.

I've become quite enamored with Wings 3D. Sure, the UI is kludgy, but subdivision modeling makes a lot more sense to me, and 3D modeling is all about communicating your ideas into the machine as efficiently as possible.

Plus it's free.

Here are some more   http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/25-free-3d … -not-miss/

There are some that may already be listed.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Prompt please, what application can cut the model in .stl format on 2 parts?

Netfabb Studio Basic will cut with a plane and fill the holes.  It's free - http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php

I use rhino for all of my designs. It works quite well thought it seems stls can only be made up of triangulated meshes rather than tri and quad faces. I am still getting use to triangulating my design before exporting it.

89 (edited by rtrski 2013-02-23 18:47:02)

krist10an wrote:

(Creo Elements) ...it does lack a couple of cool features that sketch up has though, (or at least I haven't found them yet.

(for example 3d text is a 2-click menu operation in sketch up, followed by a simple pull for 3d, haven't figured out if it's even possible in this package yet. (no worries if it's not, I'll just use both!) -the only trouble is when I want a part that actually has the text in it.

the best of both worlds may be using two separate apps. -but since they are both free, i don't feel I can complain too loudly!!

I know I'm responding to an old post, but I have found a way to do text in Creo Elements.  It's not as quick and easy as in Sketchup, but it is possible.

1.  Under the "More..." button in the "2D profile" ribbon (Modeling tab), there's a "Text to Profile" command.  Lets you enter your text, size, and position, and pick a font, and puts it on the current workplane.
2.  Use the Modeling tab, "Draw" ribbon, "Equidistance" command to outline it and make it into a closed outline vs. just line text.  This is the part that sometimes takes a few steps for some letters, it gets confused at intersections sometimes.
3.  Now you can just drag the workplane to make it into a 3D, either out of or into an existing part, or make it a part of its own and then use Booleans to do what you want to the other parts.

Example image is a logo part I use for some underwater camera products I'm starting to make.  I hollowed out the insides of the "R"'s as that seemed to print a little cleaner - this plate is only about 20mm square.

Post's attachments

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG 66.35 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Solidworks and Rhino. SW for tools, Rhino for art/oddball items.
Cheers.

I'm a complete noob here and to 3D modeling. I started with trying 3DTin and Tinkercad. I created about 50-60 parts towards a model and I also created a version of the complete model, which I had printed out with i.Materialize. Since my Tinkercad is now read-only, I have been trying: Cheetah3D (purchased $99), Bonzai3D (trial now expired), 123D Design, SketchUp and DAZ3D. I am not very pleased with the complexity or limitations of any of these really. I created a multi-object project in Bonzai3D and exported to STL. Cura was not able to open the file. I ran the STL file through a plug-in on MeshLab and saved the file again and Cura opened it fine - except that 20% of the model is missing, and not in very convenient areas of the model either. I should have tried a less complex model first I guess.
So, how can one go about fixing the missing "surface" areas?
I haven't tried Cura on the original STL downloads from Tinkercad yet, because I need to make those parts the accurate sizes that I am looking for. Hence my goal to recreate each of the parts in a better program. Cubify is PC only I think - but I do have Windows7 on my WMware Fusion instance. But it doesn't import STL files (right?).

emacs (openscad-mode) + openscad + GNU/Make

I use Solid Edge (I actually work for the company that makes it). It is like SolidWorks, Pro/E(Creo), Autodesk Inventor which some of you listed.

One nice thing about it is that it is free to students and teachers:

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/e … edge.shtml

Mark

SD2, glass bed, MK5 setup with E3D lite extruder
NX and Solid Edge CAD user
PI, Galileo, and arduino hacker
Code Monkey and Twitter user @burhop

Any teacher? Or do you need to be teaching an applicable course?

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

I think they want you to be a part of an "accredited" school but that is about it.  I know it is allowed to be used in extracurricular activities.

SD2, glass bed, MK5 setup with E3D lite extruder
NX and Solid Edge CAD user
PI, Galileo, and arduino hacker
Code Monkey and Twitter user @burhop

96 (edited by DIVinc 2013-05-25 17:49:07)

Brad wrote:

Probably easier to tweak the measurements in openscad quickly than sketch up, as you just have to change the numerical values instead of visually dragging the faces in sketchup.

When you select anything to move it or resize it, you simply go in the direction of the action [I typically always snap to an axis] and, while still holding it, type in a value and release without moving. No need to finitely move by hand.
As you can tell, I use Google Sketchup, the free version. Then I just export .dae and import into Blender [the best free modeling and animation software available] and export again to .stl. I'm all for saving the bucks.

Hi,

Gimp + Inkscape for processing image material for the object (texttures, stamps etc.)
Blender for 3D modelling
netfabb and MeshLab for postprocessing (make sure it's printable and has correct size etc.)

best regards, Hendrik

I knew I had found the right forum when I saw someone offering to trade wood and sheep for good software!

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

I've been using Autodesk Inventor Pro... it definitely gets the job done.

Mac OS X Yosemite & RH/Slic3r
SD2 w/ E3D-Lite6 hotend
Mk5 extruder assembly w/ E3D Hobb Goblin gear
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Autodesk inventor fusion - Free and works Great!!