Topic: Davinci Junior Filament Stepper clicking

Hello! I just bought my first 3D printer this week, the Davinci junior, because I wanted something simple to start with. I got it setup pretty easily and was able to print several objects that have so far worked out perfectly. That is until Saturday, I tried to print a simple vase but the printer wasn't acting normal. I noticed that the filament feeding motor on the upper left side was clicking during the beginning of the printing process for my frist couple prints (that turned out good) but stopped after a few minutes. Not knowing if this was normal or not I let it do it's thing. The prints came out pretty good but when I tried to print that simple vase it was clicking a bit louder toward the beginning of the print and laid down only one small layer of filament onto the print bed then continued to print as if it was extruding someting but it never extruded anymore filament. I tried a couple different files and they all did the same. I was thinking perhaps the extuder was clogged so I cleaned it out and it laid a better first layer but then started running throught he print without extruding anything.

After some research I think that maybe the Z-axis is not set right anymore somehow, perhaps it never was. I played with it and the factory setting was 1mm so I put it to 1.2 and it was able to print an entire object that is about 1/2" tall but it still was clicking in the filament feeding area and the print itself was a little sloppier than the others so I'm wondering if I need to set the Z-axis higher still.

I contacted xyz to see if they could help and they suggested sending it in for evaluation, and this kind of made me mad because I've had it 5 days and now I have to spend $50 plus dollars to ship it back! I already got rid of the box it came in, big mistake. I would rather see if it's something I can fix with an adjustment rather than something being broken. I told them I wanted to talk to a technician first before sending this thing in.

All help is appreciated!

Re: Davinci Junior Filament Stepper clicking

I was wondering about this as well. I will be giving this printer to my son as a gift but I have become concerned about the reports of Z-axis errors and bed misalignment -- particularly for a machine that is advertised as needing no calibration. I would like to be able to assess these criteria on the unit at set up if possible.

I'm hoping others will have better input but I'm going to be messing with the z-axis tonight to see if I can get things right. I've at least made progress with it, in that it prints something now where as it wouldn't put out any filament after that first layer by adjusting the Z-axis.

The way I see it, is this is a learning starter printer for a few years until full featured true plug n play printers are available at a reasonable price.

4 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-05-11 19:26:49)

HyruleJedi86 wrote:

I'm hoping others will have better input but I'm going to be messing with the z-axis tonight to see if I can get things right. I've at least made progress with it, in that it prints something now where as it wouldn't put out any filament after that first layer by adjusting the Z-axis.

The way I see it, is this is a learning starter printer for a few years until full featured true plug n play printers are available at a reasonable price.

All 3D printers are a learning printer. There is no plug and play printer on the market right now. They all require some degree of tweaking and tuning and calibrating.

Back on topic, an extruder click means the gear is slipping on the filament due to it not feeding. There are two things mainly that can cause this. First and most common is the bed is too close to the nozzle. Check out the manual calibration process that is a sticky at the top of the Da Vinci section. See if it can be applied to the Jr.

The less common cause is low temp or excessive speed versus temp. The first is obvious as the temp is set too low. The second is caused by trying to print too fast for the temp selected. Filament acts as s heatsink and if too much passes through too quickly the heater can not keep up with the thermal demand and the temp will drop below optimal extrusion temp.

Since this machine is new and still locked to cartridges which control the temp, I would guess the temp is not the issue unless the screwed up with the temp setting. What is the temp its printing at?

I would look closer at the nozzle to bed clearance myself as long as the printing temp is at or above 190.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Thank you for your reply. I think your right. I did some adjusting today and found that the back right side of the print bed is higher than the rest. If I set the nozzle to about 0.2mm above the print bed on the front right and move the bed forward so the nozzle is located at the back right of the bed it drags on the bed starting about 2/3 of the way back. I'm wondering if it's dragging when the extruder is on the back portion of the bed it's clogging and that screws up the rest of the print. To my knowledge it does not adjust in the same way as the rest of the davinci series. It is supposed to not need adjusting but mine definitely does. If this doesn't get better and they still want me to mail it back I may return it to Amazon and get another, that way they pay shipping.

I've attached a picture of a partial print that I canceled because it looked like crap compared to my first print of a hinge I needed.

Post's attachments

IMG_20150511_201753337.jpg
IMG_20150511_201753337.jpg 3.67 mb, 1 downloads since 2015-05-12 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I spoke with Charlie at XYZ and he decided that sending it back would be best. He said they would send me a new printer and cover the return shipping cost. I'm cool with that so long as the next one works.

He had me clean the nozzle with the filament unloaded then load the filament and let it extrude. The problem was that while it extruded filament it kept balling up and getting stuck to the nozzle.

I have only had my Junior a day and it has started doing the slipping and knocking from the extruder motor. If I release the filament tensioner (the bit that presses the filament against the extruder drive shaft) the noise goes away a little as I release the tension and returns shortly after the tension is re-applied. So I suspect it is the filament backing up as it were. Prints seem to come out OK, so far.

It didn't do this on the first few prints...

Maybe the extrusion drive is going a bit too fast for the extrusion rate? If we had more control over the functioning of the printer then maybe we could come to a solution. Maybe one of those quality or density settings that I have been fiddling with may have a bearing on the problem.

I am thinking that this is a flaw they may be discovering still and either they will end up releasing a firmware update, software update or replacing the exruder head. It is possible the motor is going faster than the head can extrude but if the head is getting clogged somehow slowing down how fast the filament can be extruded then a replacement head would be in order once the problem is identified.

The thing is I'm seeing some similar reviews on Amazon of this clicking problem as well as the bed not being level. Now technically fixing a non-level bed should be easy enough by taking off the glass and placing pieces of tape on the platform until it is level. Once it's level it shouldn't get off again.

Has anyone noticed whether or not this problem was introduced with the recent firmware update or not? I have only had my Junior for a day and it upgraded the moment I started using it you see. Maybe we could get the last version of firmware and stick that in the printer and see.

When my printer came in I printed several successful prints without updating the firmware, it was I think 1.0.2. After I started having the problem I checked to see if there was a firmware update to fix it and there was. I updated to 1.0.4 and it didn't seem to change anything. So I had this problem both before and after the firmware update. If I'm not mistaken though you can change the print speed when using their software from slow to normal to fast.

Its the flood of davinci juniors! You have to problem solve here. Take one step at a time. Start with loading and unloading the filament. If you can load the filament without clicking then the extruder is functioning correctly. If it still clicks, then you have a clog or the extruder drive gear is dirty and can't catch the filament. If extruder is working, then your hotend is too close to the bed when extruding. You need to adjust the bed using the paper method (research online). I assume the juniors have bed tensions for adjusting?

One last thing to note. The plastic cover in the filament cartridge needs to be removed prior to printing. XYZ's cartridge has a lot of tension in the cartridge. You can test this by pulling filament out by hand to give it slack. If this is the main problem there isn't an easy solution.

barry1685 wrote:

Its the flood of davinci juniors! You have to problem solve here. Take one step at a time. Start with loading and unloading the filament. If you can load the filament without clicking then the extruder is functioning correctly. If it still clicks, then you have a clog or the extruder drive gear is dirty and can't catch the filament. If extruder is working, then your hotend is too close to the bed when extruding. You need to adjust the bed using the paper method (research online). I assume the juniors have bed tensions for adjusting?

One last thing to note. The plastic cover in the filament cartridge needs to be removed prior to printing. XYZ's cartridge has a lot of tension in the cartridge. You can test this by pulling filament out by hand to give it slack. If this is the main problem there isn't an easy solution.

The Jr. doez not use a cartridge. They use a spool that has an RFID chip embedded in it. Their bed is also ridgid and is not supposed to need leveling.

The software (not the firmware) has just been updated and not fixed the problem. I have been printing the sample (wavey vase thing) and there is definitely a big big problem with the clicking in that it seems to interrupt the smooth feed of the filament. I have had the extruder drive apart and it is not damaged or clogged and I have had a good clean of the hot end. All seem well but the clunking still continues. This didn't happen strangely for the first few prints. The hot end seems to be a reasonable distance from the bed.

It would seem to me that the extruder drive is trying to push the filament into the hot end too quickly and so the extruder drive rollers skip when the back pressure gets too much. There is a tensioning sprint in the extruder drive that allows for this "blockage" situation.

I can't see that anything would or could have changed in the extruder drive mechanism so I think there is something that has changed with the hot end. Maybe it isn't getting hot enough or something similar. Maybe the thermocouple that is used to control the hot end temp has gone wrong?

These test prints have been directly from the SD card files but I have had similar problems when printing from the PC.

I have contacted my supplier Technology Outlet about the problem and await a response. This isn't any where near great because the printer just doesn't do what it is supposed to do at the moment. Obviously there are other units out there that work (I don't think that they are all getting sent back) so I expect a replacement hot end assembly or some new firmware will be needed to fix this issue.

Here is a picture of my first and then again recent prints of the sample vase. You can clearly see the issue.

http://soliforum.com/i/?Qc9DYxQ.jpg

That's EXACTLY what was happening to mine but some were actually worse prints. And the good print there is what my first few looked liked. This is the oddest thing. I have a feeling that they are realizing something is going wrong and they may end up offering a replacement printhead once it's fixed because I can't imagine a firmware update would fix this issue.

I have just tried with black filament and the results are a complete disaster. The hot end just pushes black plastic all over the place. I'm now convinced that it is the hot end that is the problem. It just gets blocked.

I've got the same problem with my Da Vinci Junior.
The first and second thing I printed came out fine, after that it was sometimes half good half bad and the bad part looks exactly like the bad vase from mark.pepper.
In the time that i've spend looking for a solution, I've bought a pp3Dp UP mini printer and this helped me with finding what is wrong with the Da Vinci. ==> The Da Vinci Junior uses really bad quality PLA and prints to hot(205°c).
The PLA get all hard, lumpy and sugary in the extruder and this way leaves residue in the extruder. After a couple of prints there's so much residue in the extruder that it won't extrude well anymore, the feeding becomes too fast and the feeder starts slipping because there is a clog inside the extruder. This way there is not enough flow of filament and your print become bad with way to thin wires of filament and pieces of hard sugary PLA.

This is how I came to my conclusion:
1. I've used the Da Vinci Junior Nature PLA on my pp3Dp UP (The UP printer prints really good in ABS, so I knew everything was working fine), but with the PLA from Da Vinci after about 20min he got stuck just like the Da Vinci Junior. Printing nothing but sugary fine strings and after a while even nothing at all came out of the nozzle. So I had to take apart the extruder and there I found REALLY hard baked PLA which I could only remove by using a drill. (nothing you would be able to remove by using the "clean nozzle" function from the Da Vinci Junior, all that function lets you do is push aside the residue, which helps for about 10 min.)http://soliforum.com/i/?modqGsY.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?UcBcNVC.jpghttp://soliforum.com/i/?pG7B0lS.jpg

So after cleaning my extruder, I've tested the UP again with ABS to see that everything was still working fine. After the testing I tried printing with better quality PLA on my UP (I actually never used PLA on it before that) and now the UP had a better chance. It managed to print a lot longer, but in the end the same happened even with the better quality PLA. But why did it fail at printing PLA if the UP is such a good printer with ABS? On the forums form the UP printer I've found that the UP is out of the box just as bad at printing PLA as the Da Vinci Junior, because it prints way to hot also at the standard 205°C.
So on those same forums I've found a software mod which made me able to change to temp. of the UP (normally it's also not customizable just as the Da Vinci Junior) and I've tested the UP again at lower temp. (190°C) with the high quality PLA and then it printed a lot better and was able to finish the job.

Conclusion? The Da Vinci Junior doesn't work as promised because:
a) It prints to hot, which makes the extruder get clogged
b) Their PLA is actually not that good quality which doesn't help at all. tongue

They will probably have to make a software update which lets us customize the temp...
Someone should find a way around the bad quality PLA.
And all of us with the already ruined extruders should get a new extruder. (for free of course, cause as long as it's in warranty I ain't taking that piece of plastic apart.)

The supplier just told me to clean the head. The trouble with the PLA is that it is DRM'd so you can't even use good PLA from other sources. So I suspect the printer will be going back for a refund.

Not feeling too optimistic about my new unit that's supposed to be here this week. I'm seriously considering returning and getting the Robo3D R1.

19 (edited by Mattias_DC 2015-05-18 10:45:07)

I'm also going to send a message to my seller to get a refund.
I'm okay with a 3D printer that needs some tweaking to print good, but then you need a printer that allows you to do the tweaking
and the Da Vinci Junior is not such a printer.
1) The extruder is encased in plastic and unreachable without voiding you're warranty
2) U Can't use better PLA
3) The software sucks, we can't change temperature and due to it not working with .gcode we can't use an alternative
4) Not many people have a Da Vinci Junior, so I ain't counting on a hack or mod anytime soon.

5) All of the above shouldn't be a problem, they promised a plug and play 3d printer. Instead they delivered a piece of hardware
they probably designed assuming the standard facts about PLA you find on the internet:
-PLA prints at a temperature of 205°c (well guess what on the box of the PLA I own it says "melting point: 175°C, nozzle temp: 190°C-220°C" and it prints best at 190°C and it's the same with their proprietary PLA)
-You don't need a heated Print Bed for printing PLA (Their proprietary PLA I've printed on the Da Vinci junior with just the use of their painters tape warps even worse then a bad case I've seen on my UP printer)

They probably even shipped it without even testing it for more then 2 times...

Another downside: The printer is really slow compaired to my UP printer
advantage: I bought the Da Vinci Junior without knowing much about 3D printing because I just needed it to print some models for school and it said it was "plug-and-play" but I've learned alot in the past 3 weeks tongue

HyruleJedi86: If I were you I would ask the refund and go for the Robo3D R1, I don't know much about it but at first sight it looks really good for the price. It looks alot more hackable and it prints in ABS which is a huge advantage because apparently printing in ABS is a lot easier (I didn't know this untill I got my UP-printer).

What you should pay attention at is how easy is the removal of the support structures? I was really surprised about it when I got my UP-printer how easy it was in comparison to the support structures of the Da Vinci Junior. (So perhaps you should also consider the Up-mini, I like it ALOT, it's in the same price range and I bought mine second hand for half of the price and it still works good.)
Disadvantage of the UP: you need a mod to be able to change temperature, make sure the ROBO lets you change temperature.
Advantage of the UP: It prints the layer between raft and actual model a little cooler which makes the raft super easy to remove (perhaps the ROBO also has this option)
Advantage of the UP: It prints on a Perforated print bed (= No warping of ABS and no use of tape or glue, but you do have to push out some holes now and then tongue )
Disadvantage of the UP AND THE ROBO: they have a feeder stepper close to the nozzle, so it can become really hot (the stepper) and start skipping on PLA. But the ROBO is without case so it might cool down better.

Let me know about your choice big_smile

20 (edited by HyruleJedi86 2015-05-19 03:08:30)

I'll let you know when I do decide, since they are sending me a replacement I'm definitely going to give it a go. I did have a quick conversation by email with the tech rep that has helped me get a replacement. He stated that the Junior should be printing PLA at 190*C same as the other versions of the Davinci. I told him that when mine is heating up it doesn't start printing until it reaches 210*C and he said he will look into it and let me know. Just maybe he will find that it was programmed wrong and will release an update to lower the temperature. Or I'm just being optimistic.

HyruleJedi86 wrote:

I'll let you know when I do decide, since they are sending me a replacement I'm definitely going to give it a go. I did have a quick conversation by email with the tech rep that has helped me get a replacement. He stated that the Junior should be printing PLA at 190*C same as the other versions of the Davinci. I told him that when mine is heating up it doesn't start printing until it reaches 210*C and he said he will look into it and let me know. Just maybe he will find that it was programmed wrong and will release an update to lower the temperature. Or I'm just being optimistic.

The temp is dictated by the RFID chip in the filament spool.

Just like on the other Da Vinci machines that use a EEPROM instead the temp, color, type, and a few other specs are stored on the chip. That way they can change parameters based on the the color and type loaded and the user need not do anything. My guess is you got a spool that was programmed wrong. It is not the first time as you often find the cartridges programmed as white but loaded with natural or visa versa.

You know, since you mentioned that I just remembered that when looking at the spool of filament that came with the printer, it did have abs written in it twice. One written right above the other with a line between the two. Is it it possible that some have received the wrong chip with their filament? I even mentioned it to the tech guy when I noticed it while we were on the phone. He thought it was just that the same spool is used for both kinds of filament. Just a thought.

HyruleJedi86 wrote:

You know, since you mentioned that I just remembered that when looking at the spool of filament that came with the printer, it did have abs written in it twice. One written right above the other with a line between the two. Is it it possible that some have received the wrong chip with their filament? I even mentioned it to the tech guy when I noticed it while we were on the phone. He thought it was just that the same spool is used for both kinds of filament. Just a thought.

Well that could be a major issue as a Jr cannot use ABS. You must have a heated bed to use ABS. It will not stick to a cold bed snd will just gink up on the head. Sounds to me they have had a mix up and sent ABS out with some of the Jr. machines. The Jr. is PLA only.

Well I received my new printer yesterday but due to a prior engagement I had no time to do anything but update the software on my computer and then the firmware on the printer (1.0.4). I'm going to try some printing tonight and see how it goes after check the Z-offset and how well the bed is leveled.

I recently got the XYZ Junior as well and one of the main problems with it is the x-axis arm not being level. The bed on mine is level but the x-axis arm has less support on the right side which causes it to lean downward on the right side. I noticed it after prints were tearing the tape to the right on the print bed and after messing with z-axis offset. I thought no user intervention was needed for calibration :-/ There's no way to fix it through the control panel or software app so I found another way to fix the issue. I noticed that the rod the print head moves on is not bolted in place. It is held in place by springs and can be moved up. I placed a printed support (8.58mm tall) under the rod to the far right to make it level with the bed. Then I adjusted the z-axis offset again to make sure 2 sheets of copy paper fit between the print head and bed throughout the x-axis length. Now the print head and bed have good spacing just about everywhere. The other issue which others have talked about is the subpar PLA filament that xyzprinting includes and forces you to buy because of DRM. The filament looks really horrible and I'm sure is mostly to blame for the jamming we are all experiencing. Mine mostly starts clicking at the beginning of a print but not all the time. It also occurs more at higher print resolutions. I have been able to successfully print many items though and with great quality. Xyzprinting says DRM is necessary to make sure issues are kept to a minimum and for easier troubleshooting but they give us mediocre PLA and charge more for it. How does that make any sense? It's all about more money in their pockets. Someone needs to figure out how to bypass the NFC DRM to allow us all to use high quality materials at fair prices!!!http://soliforum.com/i/?JLshkmr.jpg http://soliforum.com/i/?1lCni7l.jpg