Re: Davinci Junior Filament Stepper clicking

lopey wrote:

I recently got the XYZ Junior as well and one of the main problems with it is the x-axis arm not being level. The bed on mine is level but the x-axis arm has less support on the right side which causes it to lean downward on the right side. I noticed it after prints were tearing the tape to the right on the print bed and after messing with z-axis offset. I thought no user intervention was needed for calibration :-/ There's no way to fix it through the control panel or software app so I found another way to fix the issue. I noticed that the rod the print head moves on is not bolted in place. It is held in place by springs and can be moved up. I placed a printed support (8.58mm tall) under the rod to the far right to make it level with the bed. Then I adjusted the z-axis offset again to make sure 2 sheets of copy paper fit between the print head and bed throughout the x-axis length. Now the print head and bed have good spacing just about everywhere. The other issue which others have talked about is the subpar PLA filament that xyzprinting includes and forces you to buy because of DRM. The filament looks really horrible and I'm sure is mostly to blame for the jamming we are all experiencing. Mine mostly starts clicking at the beginning of a print but not all the time. It also occurs more at higher print resolutions. I have been able to successfully print many items though and with great quality. Xyzprinting says DRM is necessary to make sure issues are kept to a minimum and for easier troubleshooting but they give us mediocre PLA and charge more for it. How does that make any sense? It's all about more money in their pockets. Someone needs to figure out how to bypass the NFC DRM to allow us all to use high quality materials at fair prices!!!http://soliforum.com/i/?JLshkmr.jpg http://soliforum.com/i/?1lCni7l.jpg

Was your spool labeled PLA? Many have received spools that are labeled ABS. If you try to print you will jam as the junior gets no where near the temp for ABS. If it smells like melted plastic while printing it is ABS.  PLA will smell like burning sugar.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

27 (edited by HyruleJedi86 2015-05-22 03:35:49)

Well done fixing that issue with the X axis, it is nice when a printer can fix itself by printing a part! I've done 5 prints tonight and they have all come out good so far, some cleanup has been necessary but as this is my first 3D printer I don't know how much is normal. I had no clicking until about halfway through my 5th print but it didn't seem to mess anything up, at least not yet. I did want to mention that my bed was perfectly level and the Z-Offset was also spot on this time. So far so good but only time will tell if this will continue or it will crap out like before. I really want some black filament though, I hate this semi clear stuff.

Mine came with PLA and smells nice and sweet and not chemical like ABS. The junior also reads the NFC chip correctly as natural PLA and heats up to 210 degrees Celsius. The jamming is most likely due to low grade PLA and possibly firmware. I have a solidoodle 2 that came with a horrible print head that jammed up a lot when using ABS. I quit on it and have been waiting for something nice looking and compact. I decided to go with xyzprinting junior even though I already knew about the DRM. It's so much better than the solidoodle! Sucks that I have two spools of colored higher quality PLA that I can't use with the junior. Hopefully someone will figure out how to bypass the NFC. I also have to wait for Amazon to have the junior PLA in stock so I won't have to pay ridiculous shipping charges to where I live. So, 1 to 2 month wait for Amazon to have stock and I'm about done with the spool that came with the junior sad

lopey wrote:

Mine came with PLA and smells nice and sweet and not chemical like ABS. The junior also reads the NFC chip correctly as natural PLA and heats up to 210 degrees Celsius. The jamming is most likely due to low grade PLA and possibly firmware. I have a solidoodle 2 that came with a horrible print head that jammed up a lot when using ABS. I quit on it and have been waiting for something nice looking and compact. I decided to go with xyzprinting junior even though I already knew about the DRM. It's so much better than the solidoodle! Sucks that I have two spools of colored higher quality PLA that I can't use with the junior. Hopefully someone will figure out how to bypass the NFC. I also have to wait for Amazon to have the junior PLA in stock so I won't have to pay ridiculous shipping charges to where I live. So, 1 to 2 month wait for Amazon to have stock and I'm about done with the spool that came with the junior sad

If it is a new spool you could just unwind all the XYZ stuff from it and rewind it with your better stuff. Of course once the machine thinks that spool has run out you won't be able to use it any more but you could get one roll of good stuff through it.

I thought about unspooling the crappy PLA but I wanted to use the natural color. The good PLA that I have is blue and purple. I printed out better parts for my solidoodle 2 so hopefully I can start printing with it again smile Then I'll have two printers one PLA only and the solidoodle for other filaments.

Well, alass disappointment agin.....I spent around 5 hours yesterday doing prints inbetween working on my house. I checked the bed leveling and it is perfectly leveled all the way across relative to the print head and the Z-offset is even perfect as far as the two paper test is concerned. I got about 5 good prints before it started doing the exact same thing again. It started clicking on the 5th print and on the 6th starting looking like crap again (see the picture above of the sample that was posted) Cleaning does nothing and using the load filament option to push some filament through it balls up on the end of the nozzle.
I'm going to email Charles and see what he says but at this point I'm about "this" close to sending it back to Amazon.

HEADS UP! Da Vinci Junior Filament will be in stock next week on Amazon. They just updated their inventory listing from '1 to 2 months to ship' to 'In stock may 25'

just added bunch of junior PLA to my amazon cart Lol

I have been in contact with Charles at XYZ and he has been helping me with my issues printing. After telling him that this printer is doing the same things as the old he sent me one more suggestion to try and IT WORKED! I can't believe it's actually working after all the problems but I was able to clean the nozzle using his method and raised the Z-offset by 0.2mm and I have a good looking print again. I'm printing my second object after following his recommendations and so far no clicking. I really hope this fixes it so in hopes that it helps some of you here is the recommendations I received from him to clear the Jam:

"  It sounds like the extruder may be clogged.  If you already attempted cleaning using the typical method of inserting the wire into the nozzle hole, here is something you can try.

Before starting, unload the filament completely from the extruder.  Remove the filament guide tube from the extruder by holding down the black collar around the quick disconnect and the tube should be able to be pulled right out.  Release the extruder from the extruder carriage.  Please note to be cautious since the nozzle may still be extremely hot.  With the extruder out, insert the filament back into the extruder until it stops.  Now using the menu, activate the “clean nozzle” function.  Once up to temperature, carefully insert the cleaning wire into the nozzle hole.  Repeat this a few times.  Now turn of the printer and wait for a few seconds and cycle back on.  Once the printer has initialized and started, select “monitor mode” in the menu.  This will display the extruder temperature.  The temperature should continue to drop since the nozzle is no longer heated.  Once the temperature cools to about 90*C pull the filament out of the extruder.  At this temperature, the filament would have solidified enough to come out in soft solid state, bringing along anything that may have caused a blockage.  Now, reinstall everything in reverse order.

Once this procedure is done, test and adjust the z-offset.  Once printing, if you hear any “clicking”, I recommend raising the z-offset by 0.2mm increments until the clicking has subsided.   Please note to take extreme caution while handling a hot extruder.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about performing this and hopefully this helps.  Thank you.  "

Since it is working I'm going to stick with it for now. I've ordered some black filament. Does anyone have an STL file for the filament holder piece that the Chip goes into so that I can print a couple more? This way I don't have to change them everytime I'm changing filament type.

i'm embarassed to say, that I just now realized I too suffer from x-axis sag. I printed a 8.58 mm cube closest to the left side (to reduce the effects of the sag) and that number spot on seems to have done the trick. I pressed it up against the right side and propped up the rod like in the previous pictures. The difference is like night and day, ink used to pillow out on the right side on the first few layers.

I don't see how xyzprinting thought that their x-axis implementation would be fine. A little bit more quality control and they could have come up with a better solution without adding much to the cost. Us users shouldn't have to fix their products that we payed a decent amount for. The junior is a pretty great printer and would be perfect without the DRM and a better x-axis support. I am impressed at how well it prints even though the PLA jams a little sometimes.

After 19 emails and a lot of toing and growing with Fernando at xyz I've finaly received my new printhead they have actually admitted that the original print head isn't up to the job and after installing the new extruder I am on my 3 rd print and I can honestly say its fantastic I've just printed a nema 17 motor mount for my next project and it faultless very smooth can't see a line almost very very pleased as if this didn't work I would have had to wait until July for one of the new extruders from the new model 2 wifi model.

That's very interesting, thank for sharing. I emailed Charles, the rep I was working with earlier, and haven't heard back yet. I'm hoping he'll send me the new extruder because I'm sure I received one of the first gen one's with my replacement printer. It works but still has some issues. I haven't gotten a 0.1mm print that looks even remotely decent so I usually print at 0.3mm

Hey Steven61171, could you post some pictures of what you have printed with this new printhead? I'm interested to see what kind of difference it makes. I am still waiting to hear back from Charles about getting one for myself. Is it better at printing smaller details because my current printhead sucks at printing anything other than a round shape if it is in the 2-3mm diameter range.

I recieved my next roll of the translucent white filament from amazon and now I'm having an issue I didn't have before! During the entire print, the filament feeding motor squeaks while feeding the filament. I've tried cleaning the feeding mechanism but it just squeaks constantly. Ugh, I don't know what to do with this printer anymore...

42 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-07-13 22:10:20)

HyruleJedi86 wrote:

I recieved my next roll of the translucent white filament from amazon and now I'm having an issue I didn't have before! During the entire print, the filament feeding motor squeaks while feeding the filament. I've tried cleaning the feeding mechanism but it just squeaks constantly. Ugh, I don't know what to do with this printer anymore...

Two words, boat anchor.

On topic though the squeak could be caused by back pressure and the motor is pushing harder. Its possible although you cant do it that the new roll could use a 5 degree bump in temperature. Your rods could be bent as well causing the nozzle to be too close to the bed in some areas.

just a heads up xyz has a new video up on their youtube channel for 'x-axis calibration' that fixes the sag

Hello, I am also trying to get the white piece that holds the filament and the NFC chip, we have 4 different PLA colors and it is a hassle to change them each time.  I emailed support and they responded that they cannot sell me extra white pieces and if it breaks, there is nothing they can do about it.  This is crazy!.  We should be able to print our own parts if the manufacturer does not even want to sell us the parts.  I am not good with design so I can't create the STL file myself, anyone knows if the STL file exists somewhere or we are just out of luck?  Thanks

>>Since it is working I'm going to stick with it for now. I've ordered some black filament. Does anyone have an STL file for the filament holder piece that the Chip goes into so that I can print a couple more? This way I don't have to change them everytime I'm changing filament type.

45 (edited by HyruleJedi86 2015-07-31 02:56:41)

Here you go Newpop1, I designed this for the exact same reasons you menioned:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:949471

It works for me but because the junior isn't the most accurate printer you may have to sand or trim a little bit but it should slide together just tight enough you don't have to use the screw if you don't want to.

HyruleJedi86 wrote:

I just started having the same squeaking noise on mine. Tried customer support first but no help. I decided to take left side panel off and inspect the feed mechanism and I found the squeak location! There is a plastic encoder disc that came un-glued from its pulley which could be part of the noise issue. The pulley is also very close to the encoder sensor and rubs on that plastic as well. I sanded the encoder plastic a little and now I need to glue the disc back onto the pulley. The grease on the pulley mechanism weakened the glue on the disc and that's why it came loose. I was turning the pulley by hand before I took it off to verify the noise and sure enough that was the location it was coming from. I also spun the stepper motor pulley to make sure it wasn't making noise and it isn't. Seems like most of the noise was from the sensor plastic being to close to the pulley with the encoder disc and possibly some noise from the loose encoder disc rubbing on metal. I put the disc and pulley back on temporarily and noise is gone! I think the sanding worked. Still need to glue disc back on and put everything back together.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.31 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

image.jpg
image.jpg 978.7 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I used contact cement to glue wheel back onto pulley, re-assembled, and put filament feeder back on the printer. Loaded some filament and guess what? Back to normal sounds! Just like new. Also I left the encoder wheel sensor unplugged and the printer didn't give me an error. It let me load the filament and start printing with it unplugged. Had some natural color PLA that I wanted to use up and it previously said it was low. Still told me filament was low but it's still printing. Wonder what will happen if I keep printing with the same NFC chip and leave the sensor unplugged??? At least the squeaking sound is gone! smile It was driving me crazy! http://soliforum.com/i/?iVkyeyU.jpg http://soliforum.com/i/?xSAOqSf.jpg

Nicely done! How did you manage to get the side off to get to that unit? I received a new extruder head, the "Updated" version, and so far the prints are good, better than before and no squeaking.

HyruleJedi86 wrote:

Nicely done! How did you manage to get the side off to get to that unit? I received a new extruder head, the "Updated" version, and so far the prints are good, better than before and no squeaking.

Luckily I haven't had any issues with the print head. Don't know what version I have. To take the side panel off first pull back the filament and remove feed tube from print head. Then unscrew and remove top white panel. There are two screws on back holding it and it slides off. Next remove the two screws holding the side panel on top. At the bottom of side panel there are several clips you need to push up and then panel will come off. It's best to have printer on its side for this. The filament feeder has three screws holding it and cables that need to be unplugged. After unscrewing and unplugging cables, it'll come right out. To get to pulleys, unplug small cable and take the three screws holding plastic case off. That's it. Also, I just upgraded my feeder today. I put in a Tatsu V2 drive gear from Deezmaker. Sooooo much better. It really grabs the plastic. No clicking noise so far.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 2.02 mb, 1 downloads since 2015-08-15 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hi,

I have been reading the posts as I just bought a junior and have been having lots of problems printing.

I fixed the bed leveling problem by checking the height difference on each of the 4 corners and putting pieces of paper under the glass plate until it was all level (I had to put 10 pieces under the front left corner).

To solve the extruder clicking problem I dismantled the extruder and cleaned it and the encoder disk but this didn't solve the problem.

I used the last suggestion where you pull the filament back out when the extruder hits 90°c and the printer now works fine as long as the distance between the bed and the extruder is just right (which takes some fiddling).

I have now managed my first decent print.

So much for a plug and play 3d printer !!