Re: Davinci Junior Filament Stepper clicking

Rob68 wrote:

mine has been doing this also (2nd unit...1st one did it also)...I thought I fixed it by changing out the teflon tubing and plastic stoppers, but that only helped temporarily. Sometimes, the stopper/teflon gets pushed out of the feeder, sometimes, out of the extruder end...beyond frustrating!

UPDATE: Does anyone know what the name/part # is for the silver screw-in piece that holds the teflon tubing in place??? I just noticed I'm missing a few teeth in there, which is likely/hopefully the cause of the slippage

I just contacted XYZ to reopen my support ticket and asked if they can either ship me replacements for those parts as well or provide a part number.  I bought a pack of these: http://amzn.com/B009ITFXDI on Amazon and they're not quite right, I think the ones made by the same company but with 6mm screw thread length might fit.  I f XYZ gets back to me with a part number I'll let you know.  They really need to make spare parts available for purchase.  These things are going to start falling out of warranty for a lot of people and we'll need a way to repair them.

I emailed tech support yesterday also...no reply yet. These are the ones I got from Amazon and were just a little too big (the blue stopper fit, but maybe the fit was too tight and that's what broke the teeth off) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WE1 … ge_o00_s00  . My printer is down til I get replacements...fortunately, they're not expensive, but I wish we knew the right size.

78 (edited by ngreendesign 2016-01-14 16:48:55)

I also am having the same issue i realize it was missing teeth so i email the support last Friday still haven't heard anything back.
Update i heard back an this was the reply

Dear Customer,

Sorry for the late response.

Please send us screenshot copy of your purchase invoice and advise us your full name, complete address and contact number.

Regarding the replacement request of fitting guide tube, we will advise you once we received the above information.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Customer Care (Jen)
XYZprinting Inc.
www.xyzprinting.com

yea, got the same thing...they know what part we're talking about, I don't understand why they need all of that just to tell us the %^&*# part name/# ! I replied back that I'm fine just purchasing it, I just need the part #. There are several different types of "M" guides on Amazon...I just don't know which one to get.

I decided I'm returning the Junior to Best Buy while I'm still in the return window.  It's been a fun ride.  Hopefully the new printer I'm getting can use the 6-7 rolls of the Da Vinci filament I bought (and already opened).
Picking this up instead:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13861

if they happen to email you back with the part #, please let us know.

Jeez, that looks pretty nice, especially for the price...I like the idea that you're able to modify it and use both filaments. Did you see if they'll let you use this? $20 Off Orders Of $100+ Or More Use Code 1STDOWN ? Free shipping makes it $280 ?! Now you have ME thinking about it too! If it works well, maybe I'll donate the XYZ to my kid's school.

Let me know if you want to sell your Da Vinci Jr filament...shipping to 19464

So I have ran into this issue...kinda.

I get the clicking sound, but only when the stepper retracts. Its really noticeable when printing support structures.

It didn't seem to start until I installed a new spool of filament from amazon. It had "ABS+PC" wrote on the spool with a white paint pen. Its supposed to be clear green PLA... Should I send it back to amazon? Or is it possible its the encoder ring?

I had the same issue, clicking sound of the wheel that is supposed to transport the filament and none or hardly PLA coming out of the nozzle.
Started after changing spool.
I went back and forward a couple of times, but now I noticed that on the spool with the clicking issue the set temperature is 188 degrees celcious and on another with no issue the set temperature is 209.

Rob68 wrote:

if they happen to email you back with the part #, please let us know.

Jeez, that looks pretty nice, especially for the price...I like the idea that you're able to modify it and use both filaments. Did you see if they'll let you use this? $20 Off Orders Of $100+ Or More Use Code 1STDOWN ? Free shipping makes it $280 ?! Now you have ME thinking about it too! If it works well, maybe I'll donate the XYZ to my kid's school.

Let me know if you want to sell your Da Vinci Jr filament...shipping to 19464

No go on getting any sort of response short of, "Mr. Customer, why do you think you are having problems with your printer?"  It's headed back to Best Buy via UPS.  Got my MonoPrice Maker Architect in the meantime.  It's taken a crazy amount of setup to get it to print correctly but now it's non-stop amazing prints and no messing around for hours trying to figure out why it's not working.  I'm going to use all off the rolls of Da Vinci Jr. filament I bought with my new printer but I will obviously not need the NFC DRM chips.  Does anyone want all of the NFC chips I have left from my Da Vinci Jr. Rolls for science?  Hit me up and I'll mail you a batch of NFC chips for free for science.  I'd love to see the printer hacked.  Keep in mind I will not be sending you any PLA rolls but if you can use some FULL PLA DRM chips for science I want you to have them.  I have about 6 chips ranging from empty to brand new. 
I'd love to see someone break the DRM on this and find some replaceable parts and things...

Also the coupon codes don't seem to work since this printer is already "50% off".

So... the clicking sound from the extruder motor is louder now. Its similar to the ticking of a grandfather clock.

It only does it when it retracts filament though. :S

Could the filament itself be the problem? I guess I could get another roll on amazon and test it.

Npak...the setup part makes me nervous since I'm so new to all of this. Was it mostly bed leveling issues?

XYZ is supposedly sending me the replacement filament guides, and still won't tell me the part #, so I think I'm going to end up turning the 4mm threads into 5mm since they're more common. I'm trying to find a printable extruder funnel for the Jr before I hack into this too much though

87 (edited by reluttr 2016-01-25 03:04:57)

I somehow managed to solve my clicking gear drive issue.

Basically I took it all apart, tightened the set screw on the gear drive, gave it a good cleaning *there was quite a bit of plastic dust in there*, and everything is back to normal. big_smile

BTW I did start having print issues after it got loud. Every 15 or so layers would be under extruded... I guess the looseness in the gear would buildup before correcting itself?

"Clicking" and "clogging" reasons:

The feeder spring is to strong, it squeezed the filament (not round anymore) and you need more strength or more temperature to feed the filament.

So, you have to lower the feeder spring strength, and you have to increase the printing temperature.

That's all. Then all is working fine, for years.

I noticed a clunking from my Jr. which I traced to the extruder feed mechanism. After a good cleaning of the extruder print head, everything quieted down and the PLA printing became a bit more consistent.

I had the same problem. I've tried to print something, but the filament was jammed inside the extruder before the nozzle.

The XYZ support says, that it is a problem of the z-offset, that I have to make sure, the belt tension is correct and that I have to clean the nozzle.

I dismounted the device partly, to find out, what the real problem could be. So I discovered it, solved it and found, that the support persons of the manufacturer do not have any experience and not any know-how about the function of their machines. Nothing.

Because I bought it more than 6 months ago, there is no warranty left, altough I never used it. So by fact, it is a NEW machine.

I did a lot of work on this printer. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures for documentation.

I lowered the pressure on the feeder mechanism by reducing the tension of the spring. It had a force of about 3 kg. This high tension causes the stepper motor to block, if only a small amount of higher force is required, to feed the filament - hearable as a "clack, clack, clack" with an optical vibration of the filament at the same beat.
I lowered the tension to about 300g, by the use of a screw driver to increase the spacing of the springs windings. The feeder is located on the upper left side of the printer. You have to unmount the half of the case, to be able, to reach it.
The force is estimated by the pressure force on the thumb, to move the feeders leverage.

I also lowered the pressure of the springs in the filament detectors, to allow a smoother guiding trough. There are two detectors, one in the filament feeder, one in the extruder head. To do this, I took the springs out, pulled it to the double of the original length, cutted it in the half and sat it back in.

It is a bit tricky, to open the extruder head. Make sure, not to brake the fasteners out.

I had to fix the entry for the filament on the extruder head with a nylon washer, mounted under the fixation, to thighten it. It was loose and caused a misleading of the filament on entering the extruder.

The metallic cone inside the extruder head had some sharp edges, where the filament was jammed mostly. After smoothening it a bit, the filament was sliding trough without any problems.

Now it prints perfectly.

From personal experience - check your Z offset first if you hear clicking on the first layer.
that's the sound of the extruder being too close to the bed and choking up.
You can raise your Z offset in increments of around .25mm and do a test and see if it resolves the issue.
Z offset has been the main culprit for me.

If that's not it or you are hearing clicking on secondary+ layers - many other possibilities - as mentioned in this thread.