Topic: Controlling multiple Solidoodles from one computer

I'm using Repetier Host to control two Solidoodles simultaneously from my Win 7 32 system.  Each RH instance has to use a different Printer profile (so that it uses a different serial port).  On my system, running two RHs and trying to run Slic3r from one of them can bring my system to its knees for a while (serial output becomes erratic, and the response of other programs also becomes unreliable).  Once the two RHs are pumping data out to the printers, all returns to normal.  When a RH instance starts sending data to the printer, it loads the gCode into memory, so that you can then run a second Slic3r.  This over-writes the original gCode file and produces a second one.  It takes some thought to set things up so that you do not confuse the two instances: I keep the images of what I'm printing (3D view from the SLicer tab) visible as a reminder.

Re: Controlling multiple Solidoodles from one computer

I wonder if running windows virtual pc might help with your slowdown issues while slicing and printing at the same time. The theory is that setting up a secondary pc environment will separate processes between the main windows processing and the virtual machine. What I believe is currently happening is that both programs are competing for the same processor space because they are both running in the same environment. Running one set of programs in the virtual environment will only allow them to use their own configured resources. Check out this link. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua … fault.aspx

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

Gordym:  My sense is that I am simply running out of memory on a Win 7 32-bit system.  Slicing takes up at least 1.5 GB of memory.  With a bunch of other programs running, I start swapping to disk, and everything just starts to crawl.  If I had installed the 64 bit system, I might be doing better.  I doubt that it is processor bound: I have 4 processors.  They're busy, but not so busy that the mouse no longer would respond.

On 64-bit windows I have had repetier host consume 4gb (it does seem to leak memory from time to time, so I do close it periodically).

One option would be buying something like a raspberrypi, they cost about $35 to act as a dumb print host.

It seems that there is a long term plan to have a lean-host client for the raspberryPI. The idea I believe is that Repetier host would upload g-code to the rPI and let it do all the work (although that doesn't help you right now, but does overcome all your problems). Read about the details here https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Host/issues/64

As the raspberryPi, runs linux and supports python. It can run pronterface. So you could get the gcode produced in Repetier then copy it to the rPi and let it run the printer.

Here are a few blog posts a quick google found. Mainly for the reprap, but should all work for the SD with the usual settings changed.

https://github.com/gklyne/things/wiki/S … controller
http://entropyprojects.blogspot.co.uk/2 … i.html?m=1
http://richrap.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/ … fairy.html

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

you might want to try slicing ahead of time or on a different machine, since you can export the gcode and load it into RH. Alternatively, you could invest in some control panels for the printers and run the code from microsd cards.

ErroneousBosch wrote:

you might want to try slicing ahead of time or on a different machine, since you can export the gcode and load it into RH. Alternatively, you could invest in some control panels for the printers and run the code from microsd cards.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.  I know about many alternatives.  I was trying to report what the experience was like, for those of you who might be considering something like this.

Slicing ahead of time is possible, but only if you save the gCode to named files.

The impending RH Server is interesting, but given how unreliable the printer is, I want to be able to monitor and kill jobs quickly and easily.  I am still killing 3 out of every 4 job due to prints screwing up, either initially, or after a while.

jon_bondy wrote:

The impending RH Server is interesting, but given how unreliable the printer is, I want to be able to monitor and kill jobs quickly and easily.  I am still killing 3 out of every 4 job due to prints screwing up, either initially, or after a while.

You should get the process down pretty pat. I only get maybe 1 or 2 things out of 10 unsticking and causing problems.

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

How many of your prints are 5 or 10 hour prints?  All prints are not created equal! <grin>

9 (edited by jefferysanders 2013-01-02 15:46:35)

I can print 5-10 hour objects using a Windows 7 VM, but I don't have a second printer just yet to attempt running another printer via another VM.  The 3930k OC @ 4.2GHZ w/ 16GB ram handles whatever I throw at it but...I just assign it 1024 ram, 1 core and I see about 5-10% CPU utilization running both VMs one with RH one with database software. (I don't use 3D enabled) and I should probably move to VMware vs VirturalBox when $$$ allows. 

***RH does seem to crash more on the VM (don't have any of the configuration issues on that VM system as I have it set to full admin access w no UAC or other windows security to hinder RHs wants) vs a standard envio, but that could just be me not allowing enough ram.***

This is the kind of thing that I'm up against. This print did not fail catastrophically, but the Filextruder hopper is ruined (for perhaps the fourth time).  The printers are just unreliable.  I can show you heaps of partial prints.  If anyone (including Solidoodle) thinks that they can walk me through a path to reliability, I'm interested in the conversation.

Here is the missing picture, referenced above

Post's attachments

IMG_1908a.JPG
IMG_1908a.JPG 230.48 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-02 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Even if you don't get a panel, I recommend at least getting the SDSL (SD for Sangiunololu).  If I have a print that is long or complex, I'll run it from SD.  It runs smoother, and takes RH and the computer out of the equation.  I switched computers on the printer, and the new one (old vista laptop) is a bit bloated and tends to peg the CPU for no reason which stutters the printer.  I'll get around to wiping it eventually, but until then I stick with SD for anything over 90 minutes or so.

I have plenty of failed prints for various reasons.  I've been thinking of keeping a log just to see what the most common causes are.  Usually it's stuff like misadjusted Z offset, warped (needs more hairspray), settings not ideal, filament got tangled or ran out, nozzle caught on a curled up overhang, hotend shut off (bought a J-Head).  I'm having some challenges with cooling since I can't use the fan duct with the J-head, so I'm stuck with slow-down cooling until I can come up with a new design.

On top of that is basic iteration, dialing in dimensions, etc.  Every time I finish a spool I wonder where it all went.

The printer has been reliable enough for me, aside from the hot end and USB.  There are plenty of opportunities for user error and mishap however.

And then the hot end, the 2nd new Solidoodle hot end, failed AGAIN.  ARGH.  I say ARGH.

Post's attachments

IMG_1909a.JPG
IMG_1909a.JPG 228.17 kb, 4 downloads since 2013-01-02 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Doodlers, @jon_bondy

Concerning hot ends: We have been looking into this with more detail to provide better solutions for our users. If some are not aware, we are transitioning using a new design for our hot end. For the most part, we have seen success from our users new/old. For those experiencing difficulty, we have been stress testing the new hot ends again and working with our quality assurance team to provide success with the new design. While every users situation may be different, be advised that we are looking into the matter and would love to hear from those experiencing challenges. [email protected]

Beginner/Expert, new or old user, we are striving to make your printing experience a great one.

An amazing start to all of your New Years!

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

jon_bondy wrote:

And then the hot end, the 2nd new Solidoodle hot end, failed AGAIN.  ARGH.  I say ARGH.

Without getting too bogged down with details, let me say that Solidoodle called me, asked me for details about the problems I was having, and immediately offered to get some additional new hot ends to me quickly.  I seem to have stumbled upon a rare but known problem with the new hot ends.  We will see how it works out.

solidoodlesupport wrote:

Doodlers, @jon_bondy

Concerning hot ends: We have been looking into this with more detail to provide better solutions for our users. If some are not aware, we are transitioning using a new design for our hot end. For the most part, we have seen success from our users new/old. For those experiencing difficulty, we have been stress testing the new hot ends again and working with our quality assurance team to provide success with the new design. While every users situation may be different, be advised that we are looking into the matter and would love to hear from those experiencing challenges. [email protected]

Beginner/Expert, new or old user, we are striving to make your printing experience a great one.

An amazing start to all of your New Years!

I was beginning to think Solidoodle no longer posted on this forum. Last post was like a month ago. Welcome back

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

jon_bondy wrote:

How many of your prints are 5 or 10 hour prints?  All prints are not created equal! <grin>

Just printed a 7 hour 0.1mm layer, piston last night. Without any issues. I have had a couple of parts warping and unsticking, but that was down to a misconfigured G-Code fan setting. So it was always running the fan, overcooling the part causing it to warp.

Simple (no complex overhangs, no narrow base compared to top) 0.3mm prints rarely cause me problems now, 0.1mm is a bit more problematic, but I think I have the worst of all all resolved now. Occasionally I will get the anchor failing to stick and getting dragged into the print, and screwing it up right at the first layer.

Will post some pictures of the piston up soon, as it can always be improved!

Doodlers & solidoodlesupport -
I've been working with Tech Support @ Solidoodle to get a new hot end.
I thought I had fixed it by crimping the wires into the red connector... but it failed again.
I've tried everything I can think of to get this back up and running, but I am now lost and asking the community.

I've had my printer less than 2 weeks and printed less than 15 things.

My failure came on day 9... let me say that again... day 9.

I'm now being told that I have to wait for a week or so for a replacement hot end.
I even offered to pay to have it FedEx'd for Monday delivery...
...but alas I still am waiting.

Here's a funny question...
Does anyone know who manufactures the connector that is failing?  I'd be interested in buying some to see if they are all "crap".

If anyone can think of a solution to this issue... before I get a new hot-end (which sounds like it may fail too) please let me know.

Thanks everyone, in advance, for your help.
Capn.

============================================
Just because I make it look easy doesn't mean that it is.

Capn:

Your situation sounds a bit similar to mine, although in my case, it is clear that something actually heated up and fried the connectors (they are distorted and blackened). The resistor wires came out of the connectors, perhaps because the connectors were softened by the heat.  I shoved the resistor wires back into the connectors, and then used a pair of pliers to actually crimp the entire connector.  That worked for a few hours, after which the resistor failed (resistance went from 5 to about 33, at which point it stopped being a heater).

I tried soldering the resistor wires to the connectors, but the solder failed (again, probably because of the heat that the resistor is supposed to put out).  Some have had success making a mechanical connection with the resistor wires (wrapping wires around the ends) and then soldering a short wire onto them and then plugging those wires into a connector.

Pololu sells jumper wires that work quite well, such as those on this page: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/65

You would select a jumper with a male and female on both ends, cut off the male, solder that end to the resistor, and then plug the female into the existing connector (the one that runs to the controller.  Or you could run these wires all the way to the controller.  You would need both a 12" and a 6" wire to make it all the way to the controller.  I am currently using such wires to run the hot end on the only Solidoodle that still works here.

I also have some hot ends heading my way. I intend to return the two failed units so that Solidoodle can try to figure out what the failure mode is. They know that something is wrong in a few cases, but are not sure what that might be.  Could be that some resistors are a bit low (meaning that they heat up too much); could be that some power supplies are a bit high (again increasing the heat).

I know how frustrating this can be!

Jon

Elmoret has a custom hot end, look through his posts and you'll find it.

cmetzel wrote:

This is it:

http://store.qu-bd.com/product.php?id_product=22

Steps:

1.) Unscrew old hot end from PEEK
2.) Remove thermistor
3.) Assemble new hot end, tighten. (instructions for this are on the qu-bd site, though IMO it's straightforward)
4.) Cut off old connector, and install on new power resistor. I had a spare header from an old motherboard harness, I just used this. The connection up at the stepper is a standard 0.1" pitch
5.) Screw new hot end into PEEK

Boom done. $25, and I can swap nozzles easily with a pair of pliers and a wrench. No need to remove the extruder or disassemble the jigsaw anymore.

22 (edited by jon_bondy 2013-01-04 22:37:54)

The hot end is $18, but you say $25: what heater did you select to install into the hot end?  The good heater is $14, so that ends up more like $32 than $25.  Nothing on their site about either the filament diameter or the nozzle diameter.  I think this was why I was afraid to even try it.

I was about to buy some JHeads, but the latest crop are only offered for 3 mm filament.

23 (edited by cmetzel 2013-01-04 22:38:24)

elmoret wrote:
cmetzel wrote:

This is it:

http://store.qu-bd.com/product.php?id_product=22

Steps:

1.) Unscrew old hot end from PEEK
2.) Remove thermistor
3.) Assemble new hot end, tighten. (instructions for this are on the qu-bd site, though IMO it's straightforward)
4.) Cut off old connector, and install on new power resistor. I had a spare header from an old motherboard harness, I just used this. The connection up at the stepper is a standard 0.1" pitch
5.) Screw new hot end into PEEK

Boom done. $25, and I can swap nozzles easily with a pair of pliers and a wrench. No need to remove the extruder or disassemble the jigsaw anymore.

I thought you had a whole step by step post somewhere with pictures, am I wrong about that?

I may reconsider using this if I have to wait any longer for my replacement parts from SD.  I'm growing impatient having to have it sit idle for this long, and I'm losing potential income in the mean time.  I wish I could have found the SD heat core somewhere else I would have gone that route.  I tried from makergear but after a couple emails with them it wouldn't have shipped until next week so I figured I'd wait for SD.

24 (edited by elmoret 2013-01-04 22:43:31)

jon_bondy wrote:

The hot end is $18, but you say $25: what heater did you select to install into the hot end?  The good heater is $14, so that ends up more like $32 than $25.  Nothing on their site about either the filament diameter or the nozzle diameter.  I think this was why I was afraid to even try it.

I was about to buy some JHeads, but the latest crop are only offered for 3 mm filament.

I included shipping when I said $25.

I use the power resistor with no problems. Heater power is around 75%. The only real advantages to the "good" on are faster heatup time, and a better fit in the hole. The power resistor's been fine for me. It's 0.35mm nozzle, 1.75mm filament.

jon_bondy & cmetzel -
I'm not opposed to a replacement hot-end... from scratch.
But, with my only 3D printer down, I can't make any parts for a custom end until I get it back up and running... a catch-22 as it were.

There is a lot of talk about the J-hot end (or J Head Nozzle @ RepRap]
I'm just wondering what support material is needed to get it aligned and working in the space that SD2 provides.

I'm going to work on getting my leads crimped to another wire and running tonight.
If I come up with a, working, yet simple, solution... I'll post pics.

BTW: jon_bondy... everything that happened to you and you tried I did last night too.  I found your post about 12 hours too late.  Go figure.

============================================
Just because I make it look easy doesn't mean that it is.