Re: CTC Creator Dual 3D Printer - Initial Review

Retroplayer wrote:
Tin Falcon wrote:

If you upgrade to saltfish firmware you can run RH. this may help you.
http://www.3duniverse.org/3D%20Universe … Manual.pdf
Tin

Nice. I will need to save that for a rainy day.

Simplify3D cost $140, so I had better get some use out of it! lol

So far I really like it and it has pretty much all the features of RH, plus some. I am not convinced it is really worth $140 yet, though. I imagine its worth will shine once I start actually messing with dual extrusion and interactive supports which supposedly is its forte.

So am I reading correctly? With a sailfish firmware printer I can run RH? Repetier Host? Or is rh something else?

77 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-02-18 12:56:43)

No you cannot use RH with Sailfish. It still does not use gcode as we know it. You infact will be limited to a special version of Replicator-G or you will need to use Simplify3d. I am not sire where the information that Rh works comes from.. Maybe on a different version.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

has anybody managed to modify the CTC 3d to extend the available print area?

fer wrote:

has anybody managed to modify the CTC 3d to extend the available print area?

You would need to change the frame and mechanics. The bed is that size to accomodate both nozzles.

I decided I should add some comments to this thread because I too have purchased one of these. $400 shipped for a dual extruder was just too good to pass on.

Hardware wise, mine has the same issues that have been mentioned by others in this thread. Screws all over the machine were loose. Left extruder needed to be adjusted to level. Bed temperature isn't accurate. Easy fixes for most, but for the bed temp issue, I had to resort to cheating. I simply set the bed temp to 130 if I want an actual temp of 100.  I did install a glass bed above the aluminum one, I decided that was an essential upgrade if your printing anything beyond PLA.

Issues that I still could fix but probably won't are the poor extruder design (my 1.65 filament extrudes, so spring loaded or not, it does work).

Worst issue is of course the software. Even after you upgrade to Sailfish (7.7 on mine currently) you still stuck with a printer that can't use gcode directly. This leaves you with several options, some far more painful than others. If you can live with the Makerbot Desktop 2.4 that comes with the printer, your all set. It integrates perfectly with Meshmixer which will provide good supports and all you need Makerbot Desktop to do is slice. Makerbot Desktop "expert settings" are completely hidden. You need to create profiles to get the most out of the software, but there are tools to help you do so.

If Makerbot's software isn't good enough for you, that is where the problems start. While there is a converter (gpx.exe) you'll probably find that getting any other program to slice and position on the bed properly is going to take a lot of time and effort even after you follow one of the many guides others have written. For myself, I'm sticking with Makerbot Desktop for the time being while deciding on Simplify3d. Your other option is an electronics upgrade, which isn't cheap or easy.

81 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-04-20 23:08:54)

I upgraded the electronics on mine as it says in my signature and it took just one evening.. It really is not that hard, the hardest part was getting the thermocouples on the hotends set up in the firmware. If you do convert the electronics and they are Marlin or Repetier compatible let me know. I will let you have a copy of my Marlin which is preconfigured and running well. You will also need to change the temp sensor on the bed to an actual 100K thermistor. The one in it now is like a 59K and in a surface mount resistor configuration. If you go to this place below he sells all of the parts for them as they are the same as Flashforge and Wanhao. He has a nice set of MK10 extruders that are spring loaded which work much better than stock. Note mine is the much more rare all metal model.

http://unclechucks3dprinterstuff.com/index.htm

Thanks carl_m1968, I'll keep that in mind if I ever decide to upgrade the electronics.

What I did decide on however was to bite the bullet and purchase Simplify3d. I can say for sure now that it does work and it's fairly painless to setup. After about the 8th repeat of the same model that Makerware Desktop just wouldn't slice properly, I decided to save my sanity and go with software that does support the machine.

I appreciate the link even if I never upgrade, 3D printers eat parts over time.