Re: CTC Creator Dual 3D Printer - Initial Review

auoxide wrote:
jodydewey1968 wrote:

This is a great review.  I am having the warping issues you describe on all of my ABS prints.  I have tried Kapton tape, painters tape, elmers glue sticks, and finally ABS juice to help get the part to stick to the bed.  I have even paused the build and used acetone to remelt the part and stick it back to the bed.  What a PITA!  I didn't have near these issues when I was printing with PLA.  I may just go back to the PLA.  I am going to try to get the critical mods lexan sides.  Do you have your design for the cabinet heater perfected yet?  I am VERY interested in that.

ABS will usually end up warped based on how long it sits on the bed for. If you are doing a quick print of 1/2 hour or so, you should be able to complete it with little to no warping. In addition, the lifting of the print off the bed (warping in that regard) can be countered the absolute best by using "Cubestick" by cubify. The solution will give you the best chance to complete an ABS print without it lifting off the bed. I know as I have tried EVERYTHING! I mean it too! I even ordered in chemicals and mixed solutions to see if I could beat what the Cubestick can do since at one time they were charging 32 dollars for a couple ounces of it! Now it's back to 6 or 7 a bottle and you will get 100 prints out of a bottle easily. I use Cubestick on PLA, Nylon, ABS, T-Glasse, and more. The only thing I have not had a lot of luck with is the print separating into layers as it's printing with ABS. Like slits that you can put the edge of a playing card into on surfaces such as printing Skulls, Boxes, and more. The separation can sometimes be corrected afterwards by using superglue to put in there.

Recently though I came up with a brilliant idea to save a lot of these prints from the trash. I bought a 3d Pen (ones you can doodle with the filament) then I load the same color as the thing I want to repair. I then apply the hot filament to the slits and separations of the prints after they are done and let it cool off. Then I sand it down slightly and you are golden! You can then paint it or so whatever you normally do with good prints and that saves time and money on filament. A cheap doodle pen is about 60 bucks and its the best 60 I ever spent to take care of this ABS problem.

I too use the CTC dual extruder 3d printer. Their customer service sucks totally! Almost non-existent! They will promise you something, not deliver, and never write you back or answer emails. However the printers are sold delivered on ebay right now for $540! I have over 1000 hours on mine and I need to get some parts to replace things before they break. Aside from that, it's a great printer for the money!

I too am in the market for a 3D pen wanting the new lixpen.com for repairs. I just finished a vacuum Cyclone on my SD2 and it done great but after an 8.6hr print some layers cracked apart and lots of plastic hairs inside. going to use plastic model cement to seal it then de-hair lol

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Regarding warping, here are the things that I have learned:

1. Bed temperature needs to be accurate
2. If printing large items (or just long items) infill matters a lot. Less infill or the hexagon/honeycomb infill really really helps with warping. A lot of my warping came from trying to print large items at >60% infill. If you get good layer adhesion, there really should never be a need for such heavy infill.
3. An enclosure of some sort. The piece I put on the top of the printer seemed to have made the biggest difference.
4. Getting a good first layer. Getting your bed leveling right makes a big difference. You want that first layer to push into the bed a bit, but not so much that it distorts your layers. Set the distance between nozzle and bed to about 80% of your first layer height. I use feeler gauges. I heat everything up and let it soak for a bit. Then I place my nozzle directly over each screw and adjust that screw. Then I repeat and repeat until it stops changing. Then I confirm by moving the nozzle to the center and if adjustment is needed, I adjust all four screws by about the same amount. Then one more pass over the screws.

I use a borosilicate bed and a PCB heater with a 1mm thermal conductive pad in between. I use hairspray on the glass as a sticking agent and DON'T clean it off every time (just make sure dust and bits are wiped away.) I haven't had warping problems in quite a while.

I don't want to shoot down any suggestions, because whatever works for you, but it is just my opinion that using things like glues is really just masking your real problem and is going to eventually result in damaging your bed surface.

28 (edited by Retroplayer 2014-11-27 09:30:45)

n2ri wrote:

I too am in the market for a 3D pen wanting the new lixpen.com for repairs. I just finished a vacuum Cyclone on my SD2 and it done great but after an 8.6hr print some layers cracked apart and lots of plastic hairs inside. going to use plastic model cement to seal it then de-hair lol

Let me know how this works for you. I would think the solvent in plastic model cement would be too aggressive, but I have never tried it. I have glued parts together with superglue and I do know that discolors your prints, but works. With ABS, you might be able to smooth it a bit by brushing on some acetone on troubled spots and then washing off the part right away.

On the SD4, I had a lot of trouble with layer splitting (and warping) I was able to fix some by using a heat gun to warm up the part and let it get a little gooey then sit. I also tried a toaster oven with some success. The problem is that there is a very precise point between perfect temp and turning to goo and it happens very quickly. The toaster oven worked the best for warping as long as the part had enough weight to it to flatten itself out. You really can't touch the part without deforming it.

I'm so glad I am not having any of these problems anymore!

29 (edited by n2ri 2014-11-27 15:25:40)

the tube cement is what I used as its what is used on plastic models (which are ABS) it worked great plus fills in gaps a bit. making the print air tight so vacuum can work. now for 'hair' removal lol wish me luck.

the liquid bottled cement works for sticking layers back together that have near zero gap. both made by Testers

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

30 (edited by Retroplayer 2014-12-28 23:57:52)

Well, it has been a few months of using this printer and I am still rather pleased with it. I have fully went through about 3 spools of filament with very few failed prints. I have upgraded the mightyboard by installing the parts that were missing for the RGB LED driver (still having installed an RGB light, though) and added the FET for the cooling fan. I installed a high output fan on a nice duct I found for the flashforge. Bridging always worked quite well with the combo of Simplify3D and this printer, but now I have been able to print parts I just couldn't do before.

If I have any complaints they would be:

1. Bed doesn't seem to stay level. Originally I found the wingnuts (for adjusting the bed) had stripped out and that was causing some of it. I replaced the screws and made up some knobs for it. Helped a little, but I still have to fudge with the leveling every few prints. I am beginning to think it is the acme leadscrew used in the Z-axis. Seems to have quite a bit of play in it. That and the Z-axis platform design seems to be able to twist. I found stiffeners you can buy for the makerbot, but I am thinking of just installing some 1/4" rod across the two plastic L brackets to stiffen things up. I also want to add some weight to the front of the platform to help keep it level.

Still, better than my SD4 which had a warped aluminum plate and the triangle adjusting design always frustrated me.

2. Build volume. The X axis has far more movement available than the bed size (160mm more!) Maybe easily solved by installing a larger glass bed and changing settings in Simplify3D. But I am concerned that the heat might not stay consistent since the bed heater is smaller. Given the way this printer is designed, it looks like it would only take a few parts to make the whole printer bigger. I just bought a laser cutter (my current project smile) So, just might have to give making some new panels a go.

3. 24V system. Pain in the butt for add-ons.

4. Integration of the mightyboard firmware in Simplify3D is just not quite there. I have heard that sailfish might allow me to run it marlin compatible, but not really finding any real confirmation of the that. If it still needs the X3G formatted g-code, I am no better off, really. With the X3G, your options for running the printer are fairly limited.

5. Not a simple upgrade to DRV8825 for 1/32 microstepping. The mightyboard uses digital pots for current control (which is actually nice for keeping the steppers quiet and not getting so hot) most modules have an integrated pot for this. Strangely, I have not a DRV8825 upgrade for the mightyboard. *Shrug* maybe I will break down and design one.

Did I mention that this printer is pretty quiet even while running? Bonus, the fans are all individually controlled. So they only run when needed. So, when it is idle, it is almost silent except the fan on the power supply.

6. Non-standard nozzles. They are *kinda* MK7 or MK8 compatible, but not quite. With the thermocouples, I can likely crank the heat up quite a bit to work with exotic filaments, but I don't trust the filament tubes to stay cool enough. I have been looking at the buddha hotends and with some custom work, I might be able to throw them in there.

This thing really is a workhorse. Very reliable. I just ran an 8 hour print while I ran off to do something and came back to a perfect part. My motivation to upgrade it has been very little since it runs so well. Everytime I think about changing something, I find myself muttering something about not fixing something that ain't broke.

Who would have guessed that such a cheap printer would have performed so well?

I have been looking for a while at these replicator copy 3d printers and only just found your post, can you tell me is this one the same as yours, sorry about no link I am new on here and probably not allowed yet.

ebay item no. 331106982938 seller  xiaotin201188

Post's attachments

makerbotcopy.JPG
makerbotcopy.JPG 99.68 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

32 (edited by Retroplayer 2015-01-05 17:29:47)

xairflyer wrote:

I have been looking for a while at these replicator copy 3d printers and only just found your post, can you tell me is this one the same as yours, sorry about no link I am new on here and probably not allowed yet.

ebay item no. 331106982938 seller  xiaotin201188

Yeah. That's the same, but in the metal version. Much more expensive. Mine is plywood. It is more like the Flashforge Creator in appearance.

But, that printer, the Wanhoo, Flashforge, etc... are all pretty much identical. CTC is just the brand.

Hello people I have my ctc 3d  printer Fu little problem I do not understand what has
this too videos if you can halp halp plz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ahr19cmpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cWNx4MGLp0
all axis not move at all what  its can be

I have a CTC and printed great right out of the box.... I upgraded to the sailfish firmware and prints better and faster. However, I didn't do a step before I upgraded the firmware. That step was writing down the toolhead offsets for the dual extrusion. So does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of what I can do to correct my mistake so I can print with both extruders? I tried factory reset but the printer still says it has the sailfish firmware.

I just bought the newest all metal ctc dual model. It is even supposed to include lexan panels for the openings. Should arrive Thurs or Fri. Then my Da Vinci and Kossel Mini are going to the auction block to make up the 650 I paid for it.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

jwmustanggt wrote:

I have a CTC and printed great right out of the box.... I upgraded to the sailfish firmware and prints better and faster. However, I didn't do a step before I upgraded the firmware. That step was writing down the toolhead offsets for the dual extrusion. So does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of what I can do to correct my mistake so I can print with both extruders? I tried factory reset but the printer still says it has the sailfish firmware.

I read on a review site on them some place it was 35mm

jwmustanggt wrote:

New to dual head printers, but isn't that offset just the distance between the nozzle of ext0 and ext1? So just use calipers and measure from nozzle tip to nozzle tip.

Hi everyone,

Just bought my first printer is the CTC and first off they shipped it with no SD card? i have sent them emails asking for the software but no reply.

I have downloaded Cura and loaded the Makerbot image and saved it to my own SD card.

then with the printer set up and all up to heat i selected Pring from SD card but there is no image shown?
display just reads >exit

any help?

A ctc printer is  maker bot clone. They only work with makerbot software or  replicatorg
They also do not use gcode files. The file that has to be used on the sdcard or streamed over usb is called an s3w file that is generated by their software. In short you are using the wrong software.

Thanks for the reply, will give it a go now.
thanks again.

jester wrote:

Thanks for the reply, will give it a go now.
thanks again.

I must correct myself as I was half asleep on my last reply. The files generated for the CTC to print are X3G files. As I said they are not regular gcode files. You can use STL files in Makerware and ReplicatorG but they must be coverted to X3G after slicing and before sending to printer or SDcard.

These printers run on a mightyboard clone which does not understand the regular gcode most of us know.

I have attached a file that contains the contents of the SDcard you should have received.

I am really tempted to pick up a CTC Creator now, with all the good things I have been hearing. Maybe I'll buy one for a friend as a housewarming gift.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

I found out today that mine will print regular gcode files from the sdcard. I cannot however get it to connect to any software host right now although the laptop does see it plugged in and identifies it as a mightyboard. So unless I can get it talk to makerware I can't upgrade it to sailfish.

have a look here for a video tutorial with links to download firmware and upgrade software

http://caddrones.com/blog.htm?a=&ni … 61C4A2DD6A

Just an update for pricing here. I just got mine for $419 with free shipping.

here

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

46 (edited by Ax 2015-09-01 10:18:57)

I've had nothing but trouble with mine, some of it my fault, some of it not.  I've had the extruder carriage apart more times than I can count, it's spent more time being worked on than printing, with failed print after print.

Main issues I've had are the board going wrong, and not measuring temperature on the right side, multiple blockages, which are mainly user error, the feed bearing in the right hand feeder failing, the thermocouples being flimsy and breaking, one heater cartridge shorting due to the sleeving not being in the correct place, this may or may not have been my fault, I was working on the hot end at the time, could have also came like it. Constant slipping,  before and after I upgraded the feeders and feed gears. This is what I'm trying to solve at the moment. I have tried setting the feed rates, changing the the filament types and to one I know is fine. I've changed the temps to high and low, changed out the throats/nozzles but still the same thing,  checked the feed rate when it decided to stop slipping for an hour and it's fine pretty much dead on when telling it to extrude 100mm. This one's stumping me.

The only constant is the stepper motor, but there's no play in the shaft of either, so it leaves me with either the thermocouples are off as they've been twisted back together, soldered and clamped using a screw, basically temporarily fixed until my new ones arrive, or the feed rate is way off as it's trying to push too much into the hot end.

All in all, my experience with it has been very frustrating.

::Edit::
I'm a dolt - I have Sailfish installed and had Extruder Hold on. I thought it was a temp hold, after doing a little more research into setting the Steps/mm I came across this buried in the Sailfish documentation. It's basically designed to put more pressure on the filament for 3mm diameter. I'm using 1.75 (ish). Have the first test cube printing now and no skipping and it looks like a pretty much perfect print.  Finally I can get on and work on my projects.

Ax wrote:

I've had nothing but trouble with mine, some of it my fault, some of it not.  I've had the extruder carriage apart more times than I can count, it's spent more time being worked on than printing, with failed print after print.

Main issues I've had are the board going wrong, and not measuring temperature on the right side, multiple blockages, which are mainly user error, the feed bearing in the right hand feeder failing, the thermocouples being flimsy and breaking, one heater cartridge shorting due to the sleeving not being in the correct place, this may or may not have been my fault, I was working on the hot end at the time, could have also came like it. Constant slipping,  before and after I upgraded the feeders and feed gears. This is what I'm trying to solve at the moment. I have tried setting the feed rates, changing the the filament types and to one I know is fine. I've changed the temps to high and low, changed out the throats/nozzles but still the same thing,  checked the feed rate when it decided to stop slipping for an hour and it's fine pretty much dead on when telling it to extrude 100mm. This one's stumping me.

The only constant is the stepper motor, but there's no play in the shaft of either, so it leaves me with either the thermocouples are off as they've been twisted back together, soldered and clamped using a screw, basically temporarily fixed until my new ones arrive, or the feed rate is way off as it's trying to push too much into the hot end.

All in all, my experience with it has been very frustrating.

::Edit::
I'm a dolt - I have Sailfish installed and had Extruder Hold on. I thought it was a temp hold, after doing a little more research into setting the Steps/mm I came across this buried in the Sailfish documentation. It's basically designed to put more pressure on the filament for 3mm diameter. I'm using 1.75 (ish). Have the first test cube printing now and no skipping and it looks like a pretty much perfect print.  Finally I can get on and work on my projects.

You had me on quite the downward spiral until the end there. I'm glad everything is working for you now. I am really impressed with the machine so far. As with any printer, you get out of it what you put into it. I think an extruder fan and enclosure is a must for this. I also noticed that the extruder steps seems to be off from time to time. I have an inline calibration tube for quick calibration changes.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

2n2r5 wrote:

You had me on quite the downward spiral until the end there. I'm glad everything is working for you now. I am really impressed with the machine so far. As with any printer, you get out of it what you put into it. I think an extruder fan and enclosure is a must for this. I also noticed that the extruder steps seems to be off from time to time. I have an inline calibration tube for quick calibration changes.

Aye, it's been a roller-coaster, I still have issues with PLA, at least the spool I have, I've ordered a couple more to see if it's the Filament I have. Funnily enough, apart from the print that failed overnight, wrong settings room not hot enough. I can print that without an issue. I definitely need to enclose it though, that'll be the next addition.

49 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-09-02 22:47:55)

Ax wrote:
2n2r5 wrote:

Aye, it's been a roller-coaster, I still have issues with PLA, at least the spool I have, I've ordered a couple more to see if it's the Filament I have. Funnily enough, apart from the print that failed overnight, wrong settings room not hot enough. I can print that without an issue. I definitely need to enclose it though, that'll be the next addition.

This was done on the same printer as yours. No enclosure, normal living room temp. Used a material called PET+ by Madesolid. Its my new goto material. It actually sticks so well to glass that I have to use glue to aid in removal. If I print to clean glass it will actually pull pieces of the glass off.

The only mod I did was changed the extruders to spring loaded models that have tension adjustments so yhe filament does not slip.
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/12175/de … ingiverse/

50 (edited by Ax 2015-09-02 23:13:57)

carl_m1968 wrote:
Ax wrote:
2n2r5 wrote:

This was done on the same printer as yours. No enclosure, normal living room temp. Used a material called PET+ by Madesolid. Its my new goto material. It actually sticks so well to glass that I have to use glue to aid in removal. If I print to clean glass it will actually pull pieces of the glass off.

The only mod I did was changed the extruders to spring loaded models that have tension adjustments so yhe filament does not slip.
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/12175/de … ingiverse/

Buh, should concentrate, just read my previous response I was talking about ABS, which is harder to print. I've got a sample of coloFabb_XT in and it prints like a dream, I've got a small adhesion issue with it on small footprint stuff, just a matter of increasing the heat on the bed . My Bot seems to like a hot hot end though..

Also saw that earlier. I've changed out to spring loaded feeders myself, seems to have made a good difference, I'm just waiting on my bearings to arrive for the Y bars to stablise them a little as mine are warping a little,  and it's going to get abuse and is going to be printing solidly soon so I don't want to be replacing the bars when they get too warped.