Re: CTC Creator Dual 3D Printer - Initial Review

Hi, have a CTC Printer for a few weeks now and recently upgraded to Sailfish 7.6 as per link above. I use simplify3d for slicing and then send file via astroprint running on raspberry Pi. All has been working well. Problem is now since I upgraded the prints are not centered and are positioned to top right hand corner. I have adjusted this by changing gcode settings on simplify 3d which works periodically. I made newbie mistake of not writing down original settings on printer. Does anybody know how I can rectify this. Cheers

You need to use ReplicatorG for Sailfish and connect to the printer then go to machine and set the offsets for each head. I am printing right now and will be for the next 8 hours so I cannot connect to mine right now. When I get home tonight after work I will update with better instructions and the actual value if you have not figured it out by then.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Thanks that would be great. If you could post your settings that would also be useful.
I have read that X home offset = 152, Y home offset = 72.

I don't know what A home offset or B home offset are?

54 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-09-17 05:24:01)

Cabe1000 wrote:

Thanks that would be great. If you could post your settings that would also be useful.
I have read that X home offset = 152, Y home offset = 72.

I don't know what A home offset or B home offset are?

Here are my onboard settings..

http://soliforum.com/i/?iUQhYZ8.jpg

55 (edited by Cabe1000 2015-09-19 10:29:24)

Upgraded CTC with y axis support with 11x5x4mm bearings today. Huge difference to smoothness and noise overall of printer. Problem I am having now is that I did a test 20mm square print. X-axis was perfect, y-axis came out at 18mm. This has only occurred since I upgraded to sailfish 7.6. Any suggestions?

I found this post and tried it but still no good.
https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/x-an … -not-scale

You need to use simplify3d. It allows you to modify the steps per mm on each axis in the gcode.

Rh should allow you to change your steps per mm.
just connect the printer  and go to config and config firmware.

(current steps x 20) /18= steps needed

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

carl_m1968 wrote:

You need to use simplify3d. It allows you to modify the steps per mm on each axis in the gcode.

Way to try to get somebody to spend $150 unnecessarily, carl.

Simplify3D may be nice but it is not "needed"  roll

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

59 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-09-21 16:26:21)

CTC printers use a mightyboard. As such you cannot send gcode commands to them directly even if flashed with sailfish. I have not tried to see if RH will let you see and set EEPROM values since I already had the elusive free version of S3D from my Da Vinci experience.

Update:

I just tried RH on my CTC. It will connect to the com port but it will not send or receive data in any shape or form nor does it allow you to read eeprom data as I expected. The mightyboard requires data to be converted from gcode to an hex string that S3D can do with a GPX plugin. Then that converted data gets sent to the printer. Watching the com log there is nothing that looks remotly like gcode commands. As such modifying what would be in EEPROM for some printers is not in EEPROM on a mightyboard but instead done by a start script during slicing.

Also as I stated there is a free version of S3D floating around out there if you want to spend sometime searching for it. It is fully functional but is an older version and will not update for obvious reasons. smile

changing steps/mm can be done via firmware - s3d is not needed. Yes, it is a little more involved, but it is still free.

if you got a free version of s3d, bully for you.

btw - if you got it with your Da Vinci - it wasn't "free" - you did pay for it in the overall cost of the printer.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

heartless wrote:

changing steps/mm can be done via firmware - s3d is not needed. Yes, it is a little more involved, but it is still free.

if you got a free version of s3d, bully for you.

btw - if you got it with your Da Vinci - it wasn't "free" - you did pay for it in the overall cost of the printer.

It did not come with the Da Vinci, a member here sent me a link to a sky drive that had it.

If it can be done, then please tell me how as I have exhausted the net looking for ways to do it. There is no software that has access to that level of the firmware or EEPROM settings. Even ReplicatorG cannot access that level of settings. The firmware is received and sent in a BIN file so it is not editable.

make the needed changes in the firmware, and re-flash - not hard at all.

If the OP has re-flashed his controller with sailfish, he should be able to make the changes needed and re-flash again... If - for some unknown reason - it cant be done, then i would seriously get away from that particular style of controller board and go with something that is much more configurable - ramps, rumba, printerboard, any number of others...

There should be NO reason one cant make the required changes in their firmware. If the Company is not giving you access to the actual firmware used that is a whole different issue. Have you ever asked for the actual firmware itself?

63 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-09-21 18:16:46)

heartless wrote:

make the needed changes in the firmware, and re-flash - not hard at all.

If the OP has re-flashed his controller with sailfish, he should be able to make the changes needed and re-flash again... If - for some unknown reason - it cant be done, then i would seriously get away from that particular style of controller board and go with something that is much more configurable - ramps, rumba, printerboard, any number of others...

There should be NO reason one cant make the required changes in their firmware. If the Company is not giving you access to the actual firmware used that is a whole different issue. Have you ever asked for the actual firmware itself?

Sailfish is a modified version. But it is supplied as a .BIN file, not a zip. In order to flash the mightyboard you have to use replicatorG which has AVRdude builtin and it loads the .BIN file. Your option is to JTAG the firmware using Atmel Studio and a JTAG adapter. Again this uses a .BIN file. That means the file is precompiled and you are limited to what the sailfish creator decides for you aside from it is available through the limited access to some values such as offsets and a few other settings. Unless you know what software was used to compile the .BIN file which is not shared then it is near impossible to decompile it and edit it then recompile.

There is a reason why there is not a big firmware community for makerbot/flashforge/CTC mightyboard based printers.

Even the stock version supplied by makerbot is still a .BIN file that you would need to decompile in order to edit and again without know what it was compiled on your shances are very low of being successful.

When you update firmware on the CTC or similar models it is done from a URL that is setup in ReplicatorG. That URL supplies the BIN file, you don't download it yourself from somewhere like most printers. There is also some sort of validation done to verify the URL is correct before the process starts so there is some sort of security in place as well.

Since you never actually have access to the .BIN file decompiling it really is not even an option.

I have searched high and low on ways to make internal firmware changes for a mightyboard as there is nothing I would like to do more. There are some settings that really bug me and I would like to change them as well. But you can't unless you make and compile your own version.

Sounds pretty sucky to me - just one more thing to add to my list of why I wont buy any of the makerbot clones.

have fun.

Cabe1000 wrote:

What are your steps per mm on S3D?

For which axis?

All sorted. Have CTC printer working very well now. Was a y axis belt rubbing which was causing dramas.

Ok, so an update on My CTC. I've now gone through 2 motherboards, first one the temp on the right side wasn't being read, and the 2nd it would just lock up with any firmware that was loaded on to it. I've since gone to Paypal and got a full refund. With that I've bought a Flashforge board, overall my experience with CTC and their printers, not good, I won't be buying another for the Farm.

Ax wrote:

Ok, so an update on My CTC. I've now gone through 2 motherboards, first one the temp on the right side wasn't being read, and the 2nd it would just lock up with any firmware that was loaded on to it. I've since gone to Paypal and got a full refund. With that I've bought a Flashforge board, overall my experience with CTC and their printers, not good, I won't be buying another for the Farm.

There is only two versions of firmware you can put on a CTC motherboard. That would be sailfish (preferred) or the stock firmware. The printer itself if the all metal one like mine is a good machine and has good components. The motherboard however is the weakness and that is easily fixed by using an Azteeg X3 Pro instead.

carl_m1968 wrote:
Ax wrote:

There is only two versions of firmware you can put on a CTC motherboard. That would be sailfish (preferred) or the stock firmware. The printer itself if the all metal one like mine is a good machine and has good components. The motherboard however is the weakness and that is easily fixed by using an Azteeg X3 Pro instead.

It ran fine with the Makerbot Replicator 1 Firmware on there on the original Board. 2nd Board had Sailfish on there but had booting issues, resetting it usually kicked it back in, but it died a couple of weeks ago. The FF board came in this afternoon, it has Sailfish on as standard and is a 2560 Chip. Had to take the plastic connecting blocks off the CTC board to connect the Bed and end stops, aside from that it's all good, no major prints have been done as yet, but I'll be kicking production off tomorrow with it.

I have the same problem as the original poster..  (I hope you're still around..  I know it's an old post..) 
How did you fix your issue of a bed temperature that is way off? 

I can't seem to set my temperature higher than 120 degrees..  and yet using a k type probe, it reads around 70 degrees. 
As such, all ABS prints warp and lift off the bed..  (apart from one print that did whilst blowing hot air directly on the bed. 
PS. I have foil on it at the moment as temporary sides/fronts and a little on the top too..  Ambient is around 50 degrees inside.

d43d wrote:

I have the same problem as the original poster..  (I hope you're still around..  I know it's an old post..) 
How did you fix your issue of a bed temperature that is way off? 

I can't seem to set my temperature higher than 120 degrees..  and yet using a k type probe, it reads around 70 degrees. 
As such, all ABS prints warp and lift off the bed..  (apart from one print that did whilst blowing hot air directly on the bed. 
PS. I have foil on it at the moment as temporary sides/fronts and a little on the top too..  Ambient is around 50 degrees inside.

No matter the material you are using your bed should not have to be set over 100 maybe 110 at max.

But even at max setting, it only reads around 70 degrees from multiple points across the top of the aluminium..  Using k-type thermocoupler in a Fluke 187 multimeter..  Also checked using 2 other thermometers/thermocouplers I have..

d43d wrote:

But even at max setting, it only reads around 70 degrees from multiple points across the top of the aluminium..  Using k-type thermocoupler in a Fluke 187 multimeter..  Also checked using 2 other thermometers/thermocouplers I have..

60 to 90 is the average bed temp for most filaments.. The issue with your bed is the thermocouple offset and there is no way to access it on these machine running their current boards and firmware..

There was more than one reason I went to a Smoothie variant on my CT'c.

Ah yes I want to upgrade the electronics at some point.. Along with everything I think! (Would love to be able to print much faster)

Do you know if I could hack something temporarily with a resistor change possibly?   

Or is a new bed in order?

I'd like to get the bed sorted before thinking about upgrading the electronics if possible.

Do you know if I upgraded to Sailfish or another.. can I set it to go higher than 120 degrees?  Or am I limited by the electronics?

I think 90 degrees would be ideal if I could achieve it..  as that is probably what I got the bed to on my successful print (with the hot air gun)

Auoxide, excuse me if you already know this, but the layer separation you describe is likely due to you layer height and/or print temp. With a .4MM nozzle you want your layer height to be no more than .32MM. For ABS, your print temp is best between 220C-235C. Of course, an enclosure will also help prevent premature cooling of the lower layer. Hope that helps.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10