1 (edited by a3393341 2014-09-22 18:14:04)

Topic: warping problem even with heated bed?

Okay so I've set my bed temp to 110C in Repetier and head temp to 215. Using Solidoodle ABS filament. I printed few test prints and there's a warping problem. Also I have to set the gap between the head and bed really small and caused the first layer to really smear otherwise the  first layer doesnt stick to the heated bed.

What can be the problem? Has the recommended bed or extruder head temperature gone even higher with latest SD4? Or is the problem something else?

Here's a photo of how bad the warping is. It's actually so bad the object unstickied and the print head started moving it with it.

http://i.imgur.com/3nGmI5w.jpg

The stl of the print:  http://www.solidoodles.com/uploads/doodle?id=424

Especially on the bottom right you can also notice how smeared the first layer had to be.

Re: warping problem even with heated bed?

Wipe down the kapton with some acetone (not when the bed is heated, of course).

It is recommended that is you still have lifting issues, try printing with a lower infill, or consider switching to glass. Spray some AquaNet or smear some glue on the top and your problems should disappear. I need a razor scraper and a mallet to get some of my prints off

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

my bed temp is 80 for ABS on my printer and this dont happen anymore. depends how well placement of thermistor is on bed

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

AZERATE wrote:

Wipe down the kapton with some acetone (not when the bed is heated, of course).

Thanks.
So you think it was likely caused by dirt, oil from hands and leftover abs particles from older prints?

It is recommended that is you still have lifting issues, try printing with a lower infill

lower "infill"?

or consider switching to glass.

I could do that. Why does that help? Just wondering, I thought its glass with kapton tape on it anyway.

Spray some AquaNet or smear some glue on the top and your problems should disappear.

Ive never heard of AquaNet but what kind of glue are we talking about? Cyanocrylate?

Thank you.

a3393341 wrote:

Thanks.
So you think it was likely caused by dirt, oil from hands and leftover abs particles from older prints?

Yup. The oils from your skin ruin your chances of adhesion especially when printing on kapton.

a3393341 wrote:

lower "infill"?

Your infill setting is under your Slic3r configurations. e.g. 90% infill will have more printed material in the center of a part compared to 10% infill. As the infill cools, it tugs on the walls which causes the lifting. If printing ABS, be sure you have your printer enclosed to keep the heat in since it cools faster than PLA.

a3393341 wrote:

I could do that. Why does that help? Just wondering, I thought its glass with kapton tape on it anyway.

Printing on glass (or mirror in my case) is an awesome tool since the aluminum beds tend to warp (like mine did) and it gives you a fresh start with a flat surface. Applying extra hold hairspray works like a charm. I just ran about 70 prints in the last week without reapplying. If you go the glass route, keep your kapton on and mist it with some AquaNet. This will make a gentle bond between the glass and the kapton with no need for clips.

a3393341 wrote:

Ive never heard of AquaNet but what kind of glue are we talking about? Cyanocrylate?

Many users on here swear up and down for the purple glue sticks...yup. This same one sold in craft stores.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

Aquanet + hairspray. stinks with fumes plus leaves residue on anything vapor lands on like moving printer parts

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Don't spray it while in the printer. If you take your glass outside and spray it, no fumes inside and no residue on the printer.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

My workshop smells like a classy hair salon - I have had good luck with a nice-smelling spray fortunately!

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

Also try printing with a large brim of about 10mm. With glass you get a more even surface but sacrifice bed size due to bulldog clips. Be careful where you place them to avoid gnarly collisions.

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

grob wrote:

My workshop smells like a classy hair salon - I have had good luck with a nice-smelling spray fortunately!

Suave Extreme Hold I take it? big_smile
I love printing with that stuff. It smells almost as good as printing PLA. But AquaNet has better adhesion in my experience.

I had a lot of the same problems with the large prints of my RC loader project. I've used aqua net on a glass bed on my SD-4 since I purchased my printer which worked well for most prints but I still had some sticking problems. I tried the disappearing purple glue sticks a few weeks ago and i'm sold, I will probably never use hair spray again. The glue stick really works well and cleaning is simple, a little soap and water on a sponge and your ready to go again.

12 (edited by wardjr 2014-09-23 04:07:49)

Since there seems to be some sort of a poll happening here... My vote is for glass and hairspray. 
It's readily available for very little money and totally removes warped beds from the equation.  That's not to say I haven't used the glue stick but usually only when printing nylon.
I have had my first piece of glass for over a year and a half.  I think I've cleaned it twice and maybe had to reapply aqua-net four times in that same timeframe. 
@proctor_richard no need for the clips on glass re-read what AZERATE posted about spraying the bottom of the glass.  The clips cause the glass to contour to the warp of the bed not to mention the fear of crashing into them as you stated. 
You might try it, I bet you'd like the results.  Remember it takes 2-3 heat/cool cycles for the sprayed glass to stick to the bed.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

reckon double sided sticky would have the same effect for the glass?

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

proctor_richard wrote:

reckon double sided sticky would have the same effect for the glass?

Seems that a very long time ago someone tried that and it didn't end that well.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

I tried one of the suggestions: cleaning the print bed to remove oilds from hands.
I cleaned with soap, then water. Then acetone (twice).
The print ended up better,but there is still little warping.

Ill try the other suggestions later.

Ill also try to measure the temperature of the print bed with a termometer to make sure its correct.

Its 110C again.

proctor_richard wrote:

Also try printing with a large brim of about 10mm. With glass you get a more even surface but sacrifice bed size due to bulldog clips. Be careful where you place them to avoid gnarly collisions.

+1

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

I've had similar issues with warping, which were initially relieved by adding the glass to my heated bed using AquaNet as an adhesive, and Elmer's Glu-stick (as many in this Forum suggested).  I used a generous brim, but started getting warpage again.  Went to a raft for several sessions, and that helped a great deal, but the raft is a real pain in the keister to remove.  Through a few back-channel discussions with wardjr and a bit of experimentation, it seems that I was not letting my heated bed get thoroughly heat-soaked.  My initial assumption was that when the bed-temp monitor showed the correct temp, I was good to print.  Seems that about 1/2 hour for the stock SD 4 bed to heat is about right.  I've been getting pretty adhesions results lately with neither brim nor raft.  I do, however, plan to upgrade the bed heater in the very near future, as well as the fans...

SD 4 (w/ updated firmware).  RH 1.0.3/CuraEngine.  Windows 7.  Enclosure with heated glass bed.

+1
Warping is caused by the shrinkage as ABS cools unevenly.  Warming up the bed thoroughly also allows the chamber to warm up as well.  A good squish on the first layer is also important.
The other thing that can help is decreasing the extrusion width by roughly half for the first layer if you have a particularly difficult print.

19 (edited by a3393341 2014-09-24 07:27:28)

wpmarsh wrote:

My initial assumption was that when the bed-temp monitor showed the correct temp, I was good to print.  Seems that about 1/2 hour for the stock SD 4 bed to heat is about right.

Thanks a lot for this post. This seems like it.
Let me check if I got this right: the bed is heated from a specific area and the termometer is located close to it and it can't show the temperature of the farther areas of the heat bed precisely as well?
Maybe I should get one of those handheld termometers and check the sides of the bed myself to know when its really ready.

BTW, whats a "brim"?

And isnt the SD4 print bed a glass with kapton tape on it already? Maybe the guys suggesting to add a glass have other models of Solidoodle?

Also, this is off topic but I looked in the RepRap wiki and the internet in general to find out what the purpose of kapton tape is. All I found out its a good choice for printing with ABS and its heat resistant, and that it stick to ABS well. But if it was so good why do people suggest to switch to just glass?

And btw, what about printing rafts? I just learned about them. Will a raft help warping, or the opposite?

20 (edited by n2ri 2014-09-24 07:39:19)

I use a raft on prints with small bottom surface areas to reduce peeling off thin points and ruining print at start it gives more contact area for sticking bottom layer enough to finish print without it coming loose. most times.
NOTE: once a raft layer is put in slic3r profile its near impossible to set it back to zero I found. as are a couple other settings even after retrying after many restarts of Repetier host clearing residual memory

21 (edited by michael.t.albers 2014-09-24 10:27:23)

The warping issue is going to haunt you forever, get used to it.  It is one of the properties of abs plastic that as it cools, it contracts.  Many of the suggestions that you have read on here will help to reduce the amount of warping.  The ideas that you see here are doing two things :  slowing down the cooling process to reduce warping and increasing the adhesion to the build plate to reduce warping.
    Heating the bed to a higher temperature slows down the cooling of the first couple of layers to reduce warping
    Using a better adhesion technique such as hair spray, abs slurry, elmer's purple glue stick reduces the warping
    Using a brim (a layer of plastic around the build, like the brim on a hat) slows down the cooling of the first layer as well as providing better adhesion to the build plate.
    Rafts create a secondary build plate allowing the raft to warp and reducing the amount of warp for the actual build itself.
    Changing the infill rate (how much plastic is inside your build) equalizes the rate of cooling between the inside and outside parts of your build, reducing the amount of warp
Most of us use a combination of these techniques when printing to reduce the amount of warp by reducing the different cooling rates of layers as it builds.  The more you experiment, the better you will get at it and your failure rate will diminish.  Good luck!

22 (edited by n2ri 2014-09-25 03:43:05)

over heating bed causes warp and burn on long prints over an hour. its why I went with 80c

Oh, so overheating causes warping too? I didnt know that actually, thanks.
The Solidoodle website recommends a temperature between 100 or 110 though for Solidoodle 4.
Ill try lower and higher and see how it goes.

n2ri wrote:

over heating bed causes warp and burn on long prints over an hour. its why I went with 80c

I'm not sure I agree with this statement as the numbers just don't add up.
Of course in could depend on the type of filament used it doesn't apply to ABS.
With a bed heater like mine (signature) I have never seen anything resembling burnt filament.
Warping is usually caused by uneven cooling from top to bottom or to rapid of cooling.

The brim can be added by going into your slic3r configuration. Then use the first tab for the print settings and select "skirt and brim" to the left. You specify the width in mm. Just save this to the profile and reslice. The brim can help a lot. Michael.t.albers said it perfectly, the combination will vary from person/printer to person/printer. I use kapton and hairspray. I've tried glass and hairspray to no avail. Meanwhile my coworker used glass and hairspray with no issues. It is in the end experimenting.

I wouldn't worry too much about overheating. The general temperature seems to be between 105-110C for ABS. 80-85C for PLA. In this thread is the first time I have seen someone using 80C for ABS effectively so it will not likely be useful in your case.

While all the suggestions are great and come from experience, what can happen at times is that the temperature read in the software is so far off from the actual temperature that it won't matter much in the end. In the instances where someone has tried everything, assuming all calibrations were done properly, and there is still warping, I recommend taking a second reading of the temperature. There have been quite a few cases of the software showing 110C but the real temperature is way off (near 30 degree difference). This is rare but it is a possibility and worth looking into if you have a means to measure the temperature separately. A 5-10 degree difference won't affect it too much.

Generally speaking, the use of hairspray (on kapton or glass), proper leveling and z offset and correct temperatures will be enough to keep things stuck on the bed. Extra measures such as adding a brim and reducing infill density excellent as well.

I was probably redundant but I wanted to chip in.

Former Solidoodle employee