451 (edited by n2ri 2014-11-03 05:06:27)

Re: Introducing Three New Solidoodle Models

you mean OEM? yeah manufacturers been using other cheap countries labor since Reagan's fair trade act. they just call it assembled in China or Mexico etc. all I know is quality control went out the window in all circumstances, as did jobs for Americans

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

New pictures up on the press on fb

453 (edited by n2ri 2014-11-05 21:52:12)

not so new, no new view angles plus the apprentice is just a recycled SD4 with SD2 bed and other parts plus elctronics moved inside frame in air tight box for them to cook in and 2 POS hot ends. hell I just printed better carriages for my old SD2 than the Apprentice has. I could take a busted SD4 and mod it into a better version of that Apprentice for half the cost and wait time

odd how ever since SD4 the cabinet frames have had a cut out for fume exhaust fan same as apprentice yet none ever had an inclosure to draw fumes from. but they still wont put part cooling fans on that even SD2 board had programing software for. why is that?

hey Sam, google 3D pen and see how ABS and PLA can print in mid air if cooled as its extruded. unless its against you religion or something

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Can we keep the trolling to a minimum please?  If you feel the need to vent you are welcome/encouraged to create a new topic.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

thats a good one!

SD make awful design decisions, mislead there customers with a presale before final design is even finalised and ignore every piece of feedback we gave them about what they should develop in a new line of printers

we... the customers get annoyed and register our grievance..... get accused of trolling.

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

456 (edited by adrian 2014-11-06 23:39:08)

proctor_richard wrote:

thats a good one!

SD make awful design decisions, mislead there customers with a presale before final design is even finalised and ignore every piece of feedback we gave them about what they should develop in a new line of printers

we... the customers get annoyed and register our grievance..... get accused of trolling.

I don't think anyone was saying you can't be legitimately aggrieved and 'voice' those opinions. Rather I think its probably not as productive inside this thread as one would hope because;

Its a marketing thread for SD - the mere tittle's persistence in an active topics thread helps. Given most people probably wont wade through the 20 odd pages they might at most read the first posts; and the last to get a 'current status' handle on it.

Regardless - all the activity keeps that keyword bonanza - "Introducing Three New Solidoodle Models" - high on the keyword index over at google and it high in the active topics list here wink

So if you really want an impact - think in an SEO context - traffic in this thread will only help the initial subject line and not much else. Start a new thread with keywords more orientated to how you feel reflects the situation, and drive traffic to that thread and let this thread slip away into the annals of internet history and out of 'active topics'...

I now return to my intermittent lurking...

Well said Adrian

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

adrian wrote:
proctor_richard wrote:

thats a good one!

I don't think anyone was saying you can't be legitimately aggrieved and 'voice' those opinions. Rather I think its probably not as productive inside this thread as one would hope because;

Its a marketing thread for SD - the mere tittle's persistence in an active topics thread helps. Given most people probably wont wade through the 20 odd pages they might at most read the first posts; and the last to get a 'current status' handle on it.

Regardless - all the activity keeps that keyword bonanza - "Introducing Three New Solidoodle Models" - high on the keyword index over at google and it high in the active topics list here wink

So if you really want an impact - think in an SEO context - traffic in this thread will only help the initial subject line and not much else. Start a new thread with keywords more orientated to how you feel reflects the situation, and drive traffic to that thread and let this thread slip away into the annals of internet history and out of 'active topics'...

I now return to my intermittent lurking...

I will add, that it is important that community concerns be clear. In my experience, it was always the concerns that seemed to be in the majority, with the clearest definition that got attention first. You will have better luck getting attention for a particular problem if everyone is on the same page and there a very clear definition of what sort of change is wanted.

One thing that SD definitely does is tally up the occurrence and severity of various problems. I am fairly sure concerns about shipping times take up a fairly large portion of that pie chart, and are something that are actively being dealt with.

I imagine that the atmosphere there is similar to when we were in the pre-release phase of SD2. SD2 ran *very* late, and we felt enormous pressure from the community to release the printer. I am sure they are doing everything in their power to get the printer out.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

I imagine that the atmosphere there is similar to when we were in the pre-release phase of SD2. SD2 ran *very* late, and we felt enormous pressure from the community to release the printer. I am sure they are doing everything in their power to get the printer out.

For fear of putting words in your mouth SoliJohn, that is a very valid point.  The more un-constructive ranting and venting that happens in the community, the more pressure the workers will feel when building the products.  pressure then becomes the need to work fast which can lead to mistakes and cutting of corners (I'm sure solidoodle strives to "provide a quality product" but the fact is human nature.)

The last little while I think they have done a decent job in addressing peoples questions (even if some people did not like the answers) through the Q&A and continue to address my questions through the support, usually in under 24 hours.  If more questions have risen from the Q&A then maybe people could encourage a follow up Q&A.

I understand DePartedPrinter's view.  Perhaps it is my inexperience with 3D printers, but my view on a lot of the comments in this thread since that Q&A makes people seem like little kids throwing a tantrum because they didn't get what they want.  I would love to see and know some of the reasons behind their design decisions, just as I would love to get my hands on some of their production check lists so that I can check things over myself, but I am quite certain that they will not (and shouldn't from a company position) release any of that.

I will continue to wait patiently for my printer, and hope to learn as much as I can before it gets here so I can hit the ground running.

*steps down off of soap box

Solidoodle Workbench

Anybody seen the promised software FAQ?  I thought that was coming out today.

-Solidoodle 2 Pro with glass bed and custom enclosure.

only posted on their blog page and only a few answers on their software

Yep.  That told me basically nothing.  I was expecting, at the very least, a video showing the software in action.  At this point we don't have any idea what slicing options can be used through the software, or if models can be rotated/re-sized/moved in this software, or what kind of feedback you get during printing.

-Solidoodle 2 Pro with glass bed and custom enclosure.

earhornjones wrote:

Yep.  That told me basically nothing.  I was expecting, at the very least, a video showing the software in action.  At this point we don't have any idea what slicing options can be used through the software, or if models can be rotated/re-sized/moved in this software, or what kind of feedback you get during printing.

I don't know what the current status is, and due to my relationship with Solidoodle I can't disclose what I know about the software.

However, I would highly doubt that you will feel overly constrained by it. When I was there, the intention was to make a simplified software for new users. The idea (when I was there) was that those seeking absolutely all the bells and whistles could stick with the old options, while the simpler, Solidoodle provided option would be more than serviceable for most operations.

I think I've said as much on the forum before. I wish I could give more information, although to be honest I have no idea what's been going on with the software since I left. They could have gone in a completely different direction with it.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

or if models can be rotated/re-sized/moved in this software

Looking at the screen shot I see a series of boxes under "rotate model" I also see a box for "scale model" and what would appear to be a pretty standard icon for moving items.  I would thus postulate that all of those actions are possible.

Solidoodle Workbench

What Is so hard about give right amount of info what people demand just put all cards on table  if it's good then it's good if it's bad then it will be worse when all people receive it right

Why all this secret and wait one more week for little more news.

Wow, you people are still repeating yourselves? I keep checking for news and I just hear the same crying over and over. Please stop flooding the forum with all these temper tantrums, some of us only want to see NEWS when the "new post" flag is set.

Take your time Solidoodle, please don't rush, the impatient and entitled customers do not speak for the majority. Thank you.

x1320x wrote:

Wow, you people are still repeating yourselves? I keep checking for news and I just hear the same crying over and over. Please stop flooding the forum with all these temper tantrums, some of us only want to see NEWS when the "new post" flag is set.

Take your time Solidoodle, please don't rush, the impatient and entitled customers do not speak for the majority. Thank you.

+1

It does suck that we have to wait much longer than planned, but I want a well polished machine and am ok with the wait. I also find it funny that on the early pages of this thread people are talking about how they know solidoodle will be late on the original lead-time, and now they are crying and cancelling their orders.

Yes it sucks with the delays. That is the point. They rushed something to market that was and is not ready.

So laugh all you want now, cause when you get your machine after the new year and still have tons of same ole problems of the current machines your tune will change.  If you think it will be polished you are sorely mistaken.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

wire10ga wrote:

Yes it sucks with the delays. That is the point. They rushed something to market that was and is not ready.

So laugh all you want now, cause when you get your machine after the new year and still have tons of same ole problems of the current machines your tune will change.  If you think it will be polished you are sorely mistaken.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this has already been stated. Please read the whole thread before re-posting an identical post. The community welcomes any and all NEW content. Thank you

x1320x wrote:
wire10ga wrote:

Yeah I'm pretty sure this has already been stated. Please read the whole thread before re-posting an identical post. The community welcomes any and all NEW content. Thank you

Easy there chief. I don't think you "speak for the community" with your 8 posts and 3 month old join date.

Folks are welcome to post anything they like, so long as it follows the forum rules.

From SD blog   Will the Workbench printers be similarly delayed?

We are currently scheduled to begin shipping Workbenches in mid-November and we do not expect any further delays. Well it's almost mid November , let's see if that's true.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Retroplayer wrote:

I bought an SD4 back in July, literally 4 days before they dropped the price from $1000 to $699. Looking back, I was mostly taken in by 8x8x8 volume (that I will never be able to fully use because the printer just isn't reliable enough to make it through a print that big), the all metal body (which was bent in several places), enclosed, and the nice injection molded door (first-time buyer syndrome? lol) I have to admit that I think that I purchased mainly on the appearance and build volume. It was my first printer, so of course I was excited.

After getting it I was very disappointed with the print quality right out of the box and after spending weeks of calibrating and tweaking - blowing through nearly two rolls of wasted filament - I was sobered. Even after all that work, the results were still disappointing 7/10 times. At first I thought it was my lack of experience, but after months of screwing around with it and reading many others' experiences, I know it is not just me.

So, then came all the upgrades trying to get a decent and reliable printer. Nearly another $1000 later in parts that might end up making it a decent printer.

For $1000, there is no excuse for not including many of the NECESSARY upgrades such as stepper motors that aren't underpowered, an adequate power supply, linear bearings in the carriages, a standard J hotend mount, pillow block bearings to stop the flexing on the transmission roller, better belt adjustment besides a hole punched in the belt with a bolt through it (really!!!??), at least semi-decent fans that don't sound like a semi-truck and stop running half the time, better wire management so the extruder wire bundle doesn't catch on the edge of the bed while printing and screw up your print 4 hours into it, Better end carriages that don't cause the extruder fan to jam the bolt into the blades when moving to the front left corner (I had to limit my Y build area to 160mm to prevent this), a Z end-stop that actually works, maybe even a flex coupler on the Z axis? Or how about an aluminum bed that isn't warped so badly it was almost unusable and misaligned Y axis rods that caused the head to move down a slope so bed leveling is nearly impossible.

Looking back, I would never have purchased this printer had I known what I know now. Maybe that is what disappoints me the most. I would guess that most people that chose the Solidoodle were first time printer owners. I know they will go through all that I went through questioning whether 3D printing just really isn't there yet. Questioning whether it is just them doing something wrong to get crappy prints. Spending lots of extra money trying to upgrade things that should have been standard. Having such unreliable prints that they can't even print the upgrade parts. Upgrades that ultimately void their warranty so they are stuck. I only hope those buyers don't just give up on 3D printing. Thankfully, my work has a few other 3D printers now and I know what is possible. Now I know that it was just a bad printer.

After completely tearing it down, I found even the metal enclosure was flimsy and bent in areas where the rods were installed (no wonder I had so many issues.)

I had been looking at the workbench for the added size and dual extruders, but it appears to have kept just about all of the things we hated about my SD4. How can a company read these complaints day in and day out and simply keep doing the same things?

Very disappointed.

i agree 100% with what you just said. I bought my SD4 two months ago, and have been VERY disappointed in it. I have had all the same issues that you stated above and that others on the forum have had as well. Bottom line here is Solidoodle just makes JUNK! we were new and excited to get into 3d printing, but for the money invested, it was not worth it. I also find myself now complaining on upgrades to get a good quality print. I think that everyone who has bought a Solidoodle should send in a formal complaint to them at the highest level. but that mostly will not do anything, i mean, they don't even acknowledge you when you email them or post to their FB page.

<heavy sigh> My history with SD is just a little bit different. I purchased the SD2 with enclosure because it was assembled and it was shipping. In the lesser expensive 3D printers, these two items were real selling points at the time.

I have experience with three 3D printers and 4 3D printer companies now. Solidoodle is not much different and in several ways better than some other companies. We should hope for more, but in these price ranges, everybody is straining with supply, demand, customer service, inventory and who knows what other issues.

So I come back to my main buying concern, is the printer shipping? If not, find one that is. They all need calibration, they all need enhancements and before you know it they will all be obsolete. So, get one, mod it the way you want, settle on the kind of prints you can live with and print with it until it can't print no more.

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

+1

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

is there supposed to be any updated info today from SD?