Re: RUMBA board- how to do complete setup, including firmware and wiring?

And I still want to see a picture my bet is something plugged incorrectly.  We'll figure it out smile

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

152 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-07 18:04:38)

One thing a lot of people mess up including myself is the endstop configuration. Make sure to connect - and S, and leave + alone. My first wiring I connected + and - together and as you might expect the board did not boot. Arduinos have very good snort protection though so it caused no problems/frying.

The rumba is pretty stingy with its magic smoke big_smile

On closer examination it looks like a burned trace, its exposed.

Post's attachments

Picture 94.jpg
Picture 94.jpg 221.04 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

154 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-07 18:35:08)

Yikes. What is that going to on the board? It may or may not be causing a problem. It just depends on where it goes. Looks like it's just below the LCD controller plug?

You may be able to substitute the trace with a wire. Assuming nothing else got burned.

satman49 wrote:

On closer examination it looks like a burned trace, its exposed.

The real question is was that some flaw in the board or did you do something that would have caused that?

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

I guess I'll ask RRD about it.Didn't see any smoke .

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

157 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-07 19:28:52)

Shoot them an email, I've heard of several people having difficulties getting responses on the RRD forums. good luck. that stinks.

again where does it go on the board? it seems unlikely you did that but maybe

Best I can tell it looks like it goes to the USB controller IC, that maybe damaged too. I did contact them just now and enclosed the picture. I'll just wait and see what they say.

159 (edited by grob 2015-01-08 03:59:15)

Looks like a +5V power line, I'm pretty sure something shorted it to ground - it may be recoverable.
Pull out the usb/standalone jumper, and use a multimeter to find where each end of the burnt trace is connected to - I'd guess one side will have a supply on it (either the 5V regulator or the 5V usb bus), and the other side will have the thing that killed it. That would narrow it down a touch... Wish I had an accurate layout file.

It might just be the 5V header or something, bung fan shorted it or something. Could also be the USB chip.

Either way, bridging it back up may not be a terrible idea, but I'd work out what the source of the problem was first...

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

satman49 wrote:

Best I can tell it looks like it goes to the USB controller IC, that maybe damaged too. I did contact them just now and enclosed the picture. I'll just wait and see what they say.

This is a good plan and if by chance they leave you hanging than follow grob's advice.

161 (edited by OneMoreCast 2015-01-08 04:39:44)

wardjr wrote:

Because the 3 banks aren't internally connected I jumped them all together to get 360 watts.
If your setup is what I am thinking you will want to connect MAIN PWR to one bank (120 watts) which is plenty to run the motors and hot end.  Then you will want to connect the remaining 2 banks (jumpered together like above photo) to the HB PWR terminals.  This setup will give you 240 watts dedicated to the bed heater only.  Of course this means you will have another set of power wires going to your board. 
Does that make sense?

Im waiting in my SD4 and have the rumba with DRV8825's...also have same psu that you are all using an e3d v6 and mk2 heatbed. My main ? is you guys were talking about connecting two banks to give 240 watts to HB in in RUMBA...since ill be using a solid state relay for mk2 whats the right way to hook all that noise up. Also is HB out needed!? Totally confused on board having both and the config im using
http://s8.postimg.org/kag1cvj2p/image.jpg

I know ill be running one more black and white from jumped banks for heatbed my main ? was what to do wiith them w relay and HB in and/or HB out on RUMBA

"All your base are belong to us." SD4 with a RUMBA, supernight PS, 40mm fan on X motor, lawsey carriages with new better tolerance rods, flanged rear bearings, new NEMA 17 with leadscrew on Z-Axis, and e3d v6 with MK5.

Ward and Jago are my heroes tongue

You will end up with small jumpers from MAIN PWR to HB PWR.  This will power the bed heater circuit.  The HB out wilL trigger your relay and the bed heater will get its power from 2 banks of your PSU.  If you need a diagram or picture let me know.  This will be very similar in wiring to my AC bed heater as far as the Rumba side goes.

If you could add diagram thatd be great...no rush, still waiting. I think I have it but I rather not eff it up if you have it all square and good. Thanks Ward

"All your base are belong to us." SD4 with a RUMBA, supernight PS, 40mm fan on X motor, lawsey carriages with new better tolerance rods, flanged rear bearings, new NEMA 17 with leadscrew on Z-Axis, and e3d v6 with MK5.

No problem just shoot me a reminder PM in a few days.

165 (edited by wire10ga 2015-01-08 12:50:30)

Don't have a rumba, but from what I see, what ever is on the other side of the board in the circle area must of shorted out to the trace that burned up. You can see where the heat has messed up the solder mask.  Bottom line, just fixing that trace may not be all that is wrong.

Post's attachments

2015-01-08 06_46_31-Image preview — SoliForum - 3D Printing Community.jpg
2015-01-08 06_46_31-Image preview — SoliForum - 3D Printing Community.jpg 20.93 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

This should help smile

http://i.imgur.com/dIBDTqT.png

Please note that Red is typically Positive and Black is typically negative on a DC circuit.
At the very least you might want to NOT use black as the positive or put some red tape on the ends.
On an AC circuit Black is the LINE (HOT) wire and White is the Neutral wire.
Polarity of the wires on the bed heater itself doesn't matter so you can't mix those up and the same for the output side of the SSR.

If you have more questions let me know.

167 (edited by OneMoreCast 2015-01-08 17:17:02)

Beautiful thats perfect thanks a ton. I have to snag right gauge wire anyway, so ill pick up red/black...had some 14/2 SJ cord for mock reasons. But that diagram is the ticket

yea looks  likes it, 195.00 paper weight  now.  Just glad my old sang board still works.I am still waiting to hear from RRD.

satman49 wrote:

yea looks  likes it, 195.00 paper weight  now.  Just glad my old sang board still works.I am still waiting to hear from RRD.

Please keep us informed.
I recommend this board to a lot of people and I am curious as to whether or not this is a flaw or if it was something that happened on your end.

Has anybody dealt with RRD support lately? If so how long did it take to answer a support issue?

It's been almost 3 days now still no response from RRD .I should have gone with my gut instinct and bought from the other guy.

172 (edited by adrian 2015-01-10 02:02:19)

....  or not toasted your board....  tongue

I've not had any problem myself,  but then,  I've never chased support either...

I'm sure they'll get back to you..  or try BubbleRep on IRC...

But since RRD designed the Rumba,  I'd be pretty confident myself..  as opposed to "the other guy"...  and I've also bought 100's of things (quite literally)  from them with no issue. *shrug*

173 (edited by satman49 2015-01-12 16:47:37)

Well, 5 days now and still no response from RRD. Getting tired of waiting for them .What's the next best  board choice?

Have you tried to contact BubbleRep on IRC???
You have a lot of money in this board.  Unless you did something to the board that you are not sharing with the rest of us, I'd be asking RRD to make it right.

I guess i'll try that next. It's only 1am there now so i'll try later ,thanks, The picture that I posted showed the burned
trace , from the forums this seems  to be a common problem.I am not sure if something I did caused that or not.Since there are no docs with it, I very well could have hooked it up incorrectly and shorted the board.