Re: RUMBA board- how to do complete setup, including firmware and wiring?

ummm I wonder what's the best time to catch him on.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Maybe just call them +852 69536645

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Wish I could but I don't have an international calling plan.oh well, I found a US  vendor that  sells the  Rumba I will probably get one from them. Dealing with a chinese vendor is too much hassel.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Oh just a FYI for folks in Canada , I found  this  https://www.marginallyclever.com/shop/.They have the Rumba board.

I  looked at the Rumba Wiki and it showed where you could add another thermistor to monitor chamber temp. I wonder how you would see that.

Well, I got a new Rumba board. Hooked everything up. The extruder and bed both heat and the extruder  stepper works like it should. I guess this is an endstop issue, I can only move the x,y,z axis in one direction. When I try to move the opposite direction , it says End stop hit, no matter what position they are in.I have read all the info on where the  endstop plugs should go. Some say X+ Y+ Z-  and others say X- Y- AND Z-. I have tried all configurations , same result.Maybe something I need to change in the firmware?

I  looked at the Rumba Wiki and it showed where you could add another thermistor to monitor chamber temp. I wonder how you would see that.

Maybe set RH to show two extruders (i think there is a dropdown where you choose extruders) and use the chamber thermistor as the Extruder 2 thermistor.

183 (edited by wardjr 2015-01-16 19:36:47)

satman49 wrote:

Well, I got a new Rumba board. Hooked everything up. The extruder and bed both heat and the extruder  stepper works like it should. I guess this is an endstop issue, I can only move the x,y,z axis in one direction. When I try to move the opposite direction , it says End stop hit, no matter what position they are in.I have read all the info on where the  endstop plugs should go. Some say X+ Y+ Z-  and others say X- Y- AND Z-. I have tried all configurations , same result.Maybe something I need to change in the firmware?

Proven to work with no firmware changes
http://i.imgur.com/Vn5t527.jpg

Nothing is connected to the bottom row if pins.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

184 (edited by satman49 2015-01-16 20:30:10)

That worked thanks. Now to shorten  the rat's nest of wires. smile

I wonder if it's possible to add limit switches to the other end of each axis? Is the Rumba capable of handling that as it does have 6 endstop headers?

Yes it is capable and should be rather easy to do.  I guess the real question would be what's the benefit?

187 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-17 20:18:50)

wardjr wrote:

Yes it is capable and should be rather easy to do.  I guess the real question would be what's the benefit?

+1. If you're worried about it running into the carriages, you can adjust your printer size settings in the firmware and/or in RH. A more beneficial change would be setting it up so that the back right of the machine is X=0, Y=0. I plan on figuring out how to do this when I tear my machine down again.

In other words, everything homes to MIN. Since the lawsy carriages allow the limit switch to be installed on either side, I will probably make my printer home in the back left corner so it is more like a standard cartesian coordinate system.

Like on a satellite  dish actuator it has  hi and low limit switches . They keep it  from going too far in either  direction.I just think it would a good idea to have limit switches on each end of the each axis.

satman49 wrote:

Like on a satellite  dish actuator it has  hi and low limit switches . They keep it  from going too far in either  direction.I just think it would a good idea to have limit switches on each end of the each axis.

It actually would be nice to have for carriage changes which I do a lot.  Past that though if I didn't do that so frequently it would be easier to adjust the printers dimensions.

Just a FYI, I added a lower limit switch to the Z axis. I removed the jumper that I had on the Z+ and connected it there.It works.

I had max endstops on mine, but it never touched them.  When I reorganized the wiring on my machine,  I took them off so I wouldn't have as many wires to deal with.

I have noticed that the Y stepper is getting  a lot hotter now. It's running smoothly tho.I have the jumpers set  as 1-0-1. I can't see where  on the steppers from RRD to connect MM to measure Vref.

satman49 wrote:

I have noticed that the Y stepper is getting  a lot hotter now. It's running smoothly tho.I have the jumpers set  as 1-0-1. I can't see where  on the steppers from RRD to connect MM to measure Vref.

One probe to the trimpot and one to ground.

Why didn't we ever get back to the fans? Thats where the prob is I'm having is at this point.

SD4 with Lawsy carriages, Rumba board, & new 12v PSU, E3D v6, mirror bed plate, X motor fan.
Stock SD4
Prusa i3 kit, spring loaded extruder upgrade, Y axis belt tensioner

Hello guys.

Apologize for my bad English.

Recently I got Rumba controller from Ebay for my first 3d printer Prusa I3. I flashed it with code found on http://reprap.org/wiki/RUMBA#RUMBA_Firm … figuration

Next step I tried to use 1 extruder as second Z axis controller.

CONFIGURATION_ADV.h
#define Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS

During compilation I got message

Arduino: 1.6.3 (Windows 7), "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

In file included from Configuration_adv.h:547:0,
from Configuration.h:821,
from Marlin.h:22,
from BlinkM.cpp:5:
SanityCheck.h:75:8: error: #error EXTRUDERS must be 1 with Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS.
#error EXTRUDERS must be 1 with Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS.

Without any choice I changed number of EXTRUDERS to 1... but Rumba has native support for 3 extruder's any hints how to use 2 extruders with dual Z mode?

Thank you in advance.

your Z axis motors should be tied together on the same stepper driver so that both motors run exactly the same - trying to run each motor separately will give you no end of headaches..

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

If I should use 1 driver per 2 stepper motors I want to use big driver like AM882. It works great with Mach3 in milling machine but It requires 5us pulse width as in Mach3. How can I change pulse width in marline?

it is not necessary on a dual Z 3d printer.  there are plenty of printers out there using dual Z setups that are on a single stock stepper driver.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

As suggested in another forum I went from Marlin to Repiter, easy, friendly web gui for firmware setting. Works with lots of motors can support dual XYZ lots of extruders and so on... just be careful with limit switch, by default only 1 direction open...

How to run fan0/1 by m106 m42 with repetier 0.91 firmware?

In firmware web setup I checked http://www.repetier.com/firmware/v091/index.html
Extruder cooler pin fan pin/ fan pin 2 but nothing happens when I type in RepetierHost/pronterface that m codes.
How to solve this problem?