1 (edited by DesignerFred 2014-06-03 15:37:31)

Topic: SD2 + E3D T-GLASE test results + small spool holder!!

Pictures speak louder than words!!

https://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/dd/b5/ef/00/ab/TGlaseVaseCup_display_large.jpg

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:79575

Oh, and I used the Vase option in repetier! E3D v5

www.designerfred.fr      before: Solidoodle 2 + E3D v6 now: MeCreator II and OLO 3D

Re: SD2 + E3D T-GLASE test results + small spool holder!!

Nice. Did you need any special bed to print with the T-glase?

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

No, T-Glase prints great with the bed at 80° on clean glass or capton with a small 3mm brim. I found the brim is important.

www.designerfred.fr      before: Solidoodle 2 + E3D v6 now: MeCreator II and OLO 3D

Nice this prompted me to order some red t-glase as a test.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

5 (edited by DesignerFred 2014-06-02 15:51:47)

After a few jams, and reading more about t-glase printing, I'm going to put a 0.6mm nozzle on my e3d v5... Its better for also for filaflex!!

To get the glass look, they say to set your layer hight to 90% of your nozzle Ø... so for the 0.4 your layer hight should be 0.36 and for a Ø 0.6 it should be 0.54!!

Also the larger Ø nozzle, + slow printing extruder speed works better for T-Glase!!

6 (edited by LdyMox 2014-06-02 15:55:04)

Ah I need a .6 nozzle. Damn I just had to order from fillistruder too (new temp sensor). I'm not too keen on changing nozzles because any amount of movement seems to break temp sensors wires on the E3Dv5 even when they kaptoned taped together. Well I guess if I get the .6 I can try the Laywood I have lying about. I can order another temp sensor while I am at it since they are so fragile and seem to have a high rate of breaking for me (I’m on my 3rd one in just over 2 weeks).

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

LdyMox wrote:

I can try the Laywood I have lying about

Me too!! smile

8 (edited by LdyMox 2014-06-03 13:56:02)

Did the spool of t-glase fit on the SD spool holder? I just noticed from the pictures that the hole in the center looks much smaller.

Also you show a few temps you printed it at in the picture . Which one do you think looks the best at (as hard to see the close up details on the picture, though greak work for a general idea)?

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

T-Glase doesn't fit on the Stock Filament holder.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Is there a solution or do you just place it near the printer?

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

11 (edited by DesignerFred 2014-06-03 14:56:30)

Yes, I made this to hold all small spools!!

http://www.solidoodles.com/uploads/doodle?id=374

Fits into the pvc elbow of the SD2 and 3

Also for the filaflex, which is very saggy, i had to add filament guides everywhere to be worry free!!

Nice! Thanks, I'll have to print it out soon. I presume the design needs to be printed with support but who cares since it is just an adaptor smile

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

13 (edited by DesignerFred 2014-06-03 15:35:59)

LdyMox wrote:

Nice! Thanks, I'll have to print it out soon. I presume the design needs to be printed with support but who cares since it is just an adaptor smile

Your welcome smile  Support yes, and standing up!! I didn't even empty the support from the inside!!

Pic with very small roll filaflex, works great!

http://www.solidoodles.com/files/picture/picture/273/supportflex.jpg

I got some dark red t-glase in yesterday and today I get in my .6mm E3D nozzle. So hopefully I can join in on this soon enough. smile

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

What kind of extrusion rate and diameter (I assume probably 1.75) did you find works best with the T-glase under the filiment settings?

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

16 (edited by DesignerFred 2014-06-06 14:53:10)

I left it at 1.75 and didn't touch the extrusion rate which is at 1, with the right calibration done 100mm set = 100mm extruded.

I'm still waiting for my 0.6 and 0.8 nozzles to show up!! Remember slow is best, I will try at 12mm/s first.

How slow you talking about? Like flex filiment slow speeds, which I think is 20% normal?

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

LdyMox wrote:

How slow you talking about? Like flex filiment slow speeds, which I think is 20% normal?

Yes, very slow! smile

Thanks.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

I have printed plenty of T-glase... I have had absolutely no problems at 60-80 mm/s and a .40 nozzle.  So when I see a discussion like this I can't help but ask "What else is wrong here"?  T-glase is easy to print with once you get the temp correct and it needs a little more/faster retraction to avoid blobbing and that's about it.  Measure the diameter in several places as it tends to fluctuate more than other filaments.  Best you can do is average it out. 
I'm here to help.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

21 (edited by DesignerFred 2014-06-06 15:57:26)

Great do you get the transparent look on your vertical walls? The T'Glase site recommends a larger nozzle for better looking transparency!

So a larger nozzle will be better for the transparent look....

http://taulman3d.com/uploads/3/1/1/2/3112210/8685771_orig.png

DesignerFred wrote:

great do you get the transparent look on your vertical walls?

Yes,  the only thing I have noticed that really affects the transparency is the temp I print it at.  If it gets too hot it will get cloudy.

Its good to have more input, great to have expierenced T-Glase printers join this discussion...

I also printed with a 0.4 nozzle, but I found that my extruder was realy 'forcing' at 212°, which is the recomended temp, so after reading the t-glase site, found that a larger nozzle would prevent any risk of misprint, + add better see though look to my prints...

Since I have two printers set up one with a .6 E3d and the BulldogXL the other with .4 E3d on stock extruder.  I could do some tests prints for clarity at different temps and compare the two nozzles.

wardjr wrote:

Since I have two printers set up one with a .6 E3d and the BulldogXL the other with .4 E3d on stock extruder.  I could do some tests prints for clarity at different temps and compare the two nozzles.

Great, will be very interesting to see your results!! I will try some too very soon!