Re: SD2 + E3D T-GLASE test results + small spool holder!!

My disclaimer will be that the T-glase I have has been laying around for close to a year.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I Just finished a simple cylinder using spiral vase profile with the feed rate slider at 300 because the speeds don't seem to work the same as normal profiles.  My guess is equivalent to 60-80 mm/s I won't be able to post pictures till this evening.  212 temp does seem to give the clearest out of my .40 and interesting enough the faster I printed the better the clarity.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

wardjr wrote:

I Just finished a simple cylinder using spiral vase profile with the feed rate slider at 300 because the speeds don't seem to work the same as normal profiles.  My guess is equivalent to 60-80 mm/s I won't be able to post pictures till this evening.  212 temp does seem to give the clearest out of my .40 and interesting enough the faster I printed the better the clarity.

What was your layer hight?

www.designerfred.fr      before: Solidoodle 2 + E3D v6 now: MeCreator II and OLO 3D

DesignerFred wrote:
wardjr wrote:

What was your layer hight?

Just to demonstrate the affect temp and speed has on T-glase.  Along with the difference between .40 and .60 nozzles.
Both of these are at .3 layer height.

This is the .40 nozzle running at 65 mm/s and the feedrate slider at 300.  Temps starting at 245 and working down to 235 - 225 - 215 and 212 and no speed changes throughout the print.

http://i.imgur.com/iLoTesa.jpg

This is the .60 nozzle running at basically the same settings with the exception that I slowed it way down where I have it marked.  I wanted to do this in an area where the clarity was decent so I had to wait till I got to the lower temps.

http://i.imgur.com/bzczwxG.jpg?1

Then just for easy comparison

http://i.imgur.com/NtzvnB4.jpg

So as far as I an tell the clarity was mostly effected by the temperature? Seems the 212 to 225 range was the most clear?

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

32 (edited by DesignerFred 2014-06-06 19:51:24)

Wardjr,

You are right about the speed!! Great job... Look at this... all at 212°

http://www.designerfred.fr/cups.jpg

I still think it will be even better with the 0.6 nozzle... smile

www.designerfred.fr      before: Solidoodle 2 + E3D v6 now: MeCreator II and OLO 3D

Wow that is a big difference

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

34 (edited by DesignerFred 2014-06-06 19:57:16)

Try your 0.6 Ø nozzle at .54 layer hight and the speed!! They said 90% of nozzle Ø is best for glass look!!

So little time, so many experiments in 3D printing to do! I have some SoftPLA and Laywood to play with too!

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

I wish I would have had more time to play with layer height.  It only stands to reason that fewer layers = fewer seams... Should equal better clarity.  I think to really get true comparisons it should be on a nice straight flat wall.  I won't be near my printers till Monday but  I plan on playing with it some more.

Love this guys, lets continue later on this... be back with 0.6 Ø in a few days!!

Ciao!

.4 Nozzle
3.5 mm layers
225 Degrees
200 feed rate

Red T-glase and half sized twisted heart vase

http://i.imgur.com/6sadvbq.jpg

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

The transparency is equal for the height but the toothpick kept sliding.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Nice!

41 (edited by LdyMox 2014-06-07 13:56:41)

http://i.imgur.com/OKTsqfI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ATuVxjV.jpg

Hmm I seem to have mixed results with a non vase.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

How many perimeters, amount of infill did you use?

4 perimeters 20% infill

And in the same settings as the first vase...
http://i.imgur.com/FWp18ty.jpg

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

And no G-code nozzle fan?
Something went wrong what was happening when it was doing that?

G-code nozzle fan?

I tried the cthulu a few times it seemed liked it was over extruding but only at certain parts. As it laid down certain layers it seems like some of the layers were only semi cooled.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

G-code controlled nozzle fan...AS IN... a fan that is ducted towards the nozzle to cool the filament as it is laid down and is controlled by your G-code.
Have you measured multiple points of the filament diameter?  T-glase tends to be inconsistent in diameter and if it is to far off they will send you a replacement spool.  This really messes with extrusion so you might check.

47 (edited by DesignerFred 2014-06-07 18:14:25)

Ok..

0.6 nozzle intalled, ran this vasecup at 15mm/s 0.54 layer hight and turned up the feed rate to 150% at 212°

Realy nice, I know now that slow is better, but turning the feed rate up at any speed is helpfull! I am satified, now on with the FilaFlex, and wood tryouts....

http://www.designerfred.fr/cup.jpg

Looks good I am just not sure that statement makes any sense.  Feedrate slider is a percentage of all speeds so...

wardjr wrote:

Looks good I am just not sure that statement makes any sense.  Feedrate slider is a percentage of all speeds so...

I know its weird, but it works for me??

At least you have good taste in highlighters wink still seems awful slow to me. 150% of 15 mm/s is 22.5 mm/s maybe I am just impatient.  I understand the need to print slowly with flexable filaments but t-Glase has very similar print characteristics to ABS.  I am wondering if this isn't an extrusion multiplier calibration issue?  I might suggest calibrating for wall thickness of .72 using the desired print speed.  In this case that really should be close to 60 mm/s as a minimum.
I am happy to see you are getting desirable results that just seems painfully slow.