Re: XYZprinting Da Vinci 1.0 Hacking

So following on from this I have written a bash script to automatically post-process my slic3er output to insert appropriate header comments for XYZWare.  This works for me on the mac, it might work on windows if you have bash installed and working first.

Something worth noting is that in Slic3r it only works if you specify a full path to the script i.e. /Users/user/Desktop/Post-XYZ.sh not ~/Desktop/Post-XYZ.sh

I've never used github before, but I thought I would give that a go. I assume that makes it easier for others to make useful additions (e.g it might be nice to have it generate headers for the other XYZ printers etc).

Enjoy
https://github.com/m-look/daVinciF10

I have got my slic3er files to load and start printing, but they print at a ridiculously high speed, and changing the settings within slic3er does not slow down the printer.

Any thoughts on whats could be going on? Where in the gcode file is the speed set?

Well I think I have figured it out seems like the value after the "F" is the speed, and it set to 1800 throughout most of the file. Setting it to something like 300 prints out at a normal speed, and looking at the xyzware output most values are in the 300-600 range.

So i don't know if this is a slic3er issue or if xyz did something with the firmware again that messes with outputs from third party slicers.

mogs wrote:

So following on from this I have written a bash script to automatically post-process my slic3er output to insert appropriate header comments for XYZWare.  This works for me on the mac, it might work on windows if you have bash installed and working first.

Something worth noting is that in Slic3r it only works if you specify a full path to the script i.e. /Users/user/Desktop/Post-XYZ.sh not ~/Desktop/Post-XYZ.sh

I've never used github before, but I thought I would give that a go. I assume that makes it easier for others to make useful additions (e.g it might be nice to have it generate headers for the other XYZ printers etc).

Enjoy

What firmware are you running? Im on 1.0.6 and the settings for slic3r I have found online do not work. Prints come out horrible. Seems like xyz has added custom multipliers on their gcode, so trying to use a third party slicer makes the prints print to fast and not enough plastic is extruded.

I have tried changing slicer settings to match, but I can't figure out every settings to match stock performance.

Hi Guys,
I bought new Da Vinci 1.0 - my firmware is 1.0.6
Please how i reset cartridge? i have Arduino MEGA 2560 (my friend have UNO)
Thanks a lot for help!

Can a .3w file be decoded into gcode? I read here somewhere that it is suposed to be base64 encoded. But files i save with the xyz software do not seem to be that.

107 (edited by mvdhoning 2015-06-20 12:02:31)

I want to use a raspberry pi with my XYZ da Vinci 1.0a. So i gave the python script from the first post in this topic a go. Sure it did get the printer to heat up and move the extruder to start position but it did never start printing so i cancelled that print. Is it supposed to do that, or?

Also there is a hard wired checksum in the python file. How it is suposed to be calculated is also posted in this thread, but that code is not in python. I am not skilled enough with python to appy the checksum calculation in order to try print other gcode files. So who can apply that fix? I am willing to try test it.

mogs wrote:

Enjoy

What version firmware are you using?  I have 1.0.6 and i tried simplify3d and it didnt work for shit, was going to try slic3r but i havent figured out how to do that yet and i have been reading that with 1.0.6 your screwed using any aftermarket slicer?

I may have to try repetier but that seems like another headache and there is kind of shit all for info on how to easily go about actually getting everything to work after you have flashed it.

batmaster wrote:
mogs wrote:

Enjoy

What version firmware are you using?  I have 1.0.6 and i tried simplify3d and it didnt work for shit, was going to try slic3r but i havent figured out how to do that yet and i have been reading that with 1.0.6 your screwed using any aftermarket slicer?

I may have to try repetier but that seems like another headache and there is kind of shit all for info on how to easily go about actually getting everything to work after you have flashed it.

Simplify3D supports the DaVinci directly. It acts as a slicer and host. It should connect directly to it and allow you to send prints directly to it as well. They even say it supports XYZ right on their site under supported printers.  You dont need to flash or anything.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

i know it does, but the prints it makes are terrible.  After screwing around with it i was told the problem was that i had 1.0.6 and xyz had messed with the printers ability to work with other slicers.  If this isnt true that would be great but i havent had any luck.

Is it possible print PLA with my Da vinci 1.0A? i have  1.0.6 System and serial starts 3F10A.... Repetier firmware, I do not know whether it is possible to install it

Da Vinci Junior 1.0 and Slic3r
================

for those interested,

I tried the Slic3r gcode -> Notepad++ header & encoding modification to .3w format > XYZware
on the new cheap Da Vinci Junior 1.0.

It works if the printer name in the header of the gcode files is replaced with: daVinciJR
instead of daVinciF10. The size of the printer bed should also be changed in the Slic3r configuration file (the junior has a 15x15x15 cm buildspace). While printing the usual progress information is not available but can be estimated using the slic3r output.

In general the da Vinci Junior works fine with the XYZ PLA filament.
Still looking for a way to bypass the NFC chip in the filament holder to be able to use other PLA brands.

Best,
Rudolf

113 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-07-27 03:31:50)

What does the motherboard on the Jr look like? Is it the same board as the other Da Vinci  printers? If it is the same then it should not be to hard to reverse engineer the outputs and add it to one of the versions supported by Repetier.

Erased the Driver from the printer is fully.Now the motherboard is clean as a virgin. Where can I get the driver? and how to upload there?

vova_aryasov wrote:

Erased the Driver from the printer is fully.Now the motherboard is clean as a virgin. Where can I get the driver? and how to upload there?

If you have somehow erased your Jr then you have ruined your machine for now. There is no Firmware for that machine that you can download right now. There may never be as there are very few people who have purchased one of these.

116 (edited by ChunkLady 2015-08-05 13:23:16)

I just took a photo of the Da Vinci Jr. Motherboard.

http://i.imgur.com/B8F6ges.jpg

Left most you have your NFC wires; six wires total; so were talking Vcc, Vss and four additional cables, which to me sounds like SPI.

Also at the bottom theres room for BedNTC - Laser R/I - Cam R/L and Wifi panel - it looks kinda like a 2.0 ?

Edit:
The NFC antenna under the spool, has 2 wires, and the text "3F1j0 nfc reader ant J3". The two wires goes to the actual NFC interpreter/reader, stored on the left side of the Junior; I haven't opened up the side yet to get in there.

Hey for those with a xyz Davinci AIO who are flashed to the Repetier firmware, Luc-github has some updates that now support the top door and light badge.

Well I don't know about the 2.0 or 2.0a MB but that doesn't look like my AIO board. I know my AIO is the same board with the added stuff for the scanner as the 1.0a board.

it might be what they will go to with the 1.0+ and 2.0+ and maybe a AIO+ if they do one. I haven't seen a 1.0+ mb

You can see a stepper motor for the 3d scanner, spots for lazer scanners and for a 2nd extruder that are not installed on the Jr board.

So... the Jr motherboard uses the Arm4 Cortex processor instead of the Arm3, but the code should be very compatible.  It seems to me that we can use the same tool chain, but update the signature check to look for the Arm4 (ATSAM4) instead of the ATSAM3.  As soon as I verify the boot pins, I'll try it.

vova_aryasov, did you short the two pins in the round mark to get it to reset?  My next step was going to trace the boot pins from the main chip to see if they were, but if you can confirm then I'll be one step closer.  I have a Jr just for educational purposes and if all else fails, I'll just drop in a printrboard to get it printing again, so I can experiment away on the main board... I have no plans on ever purchasing more closed filament for it.

Bill

wjsteele wrote:

So... the Jr motherboard uses the Arm4 Cortex processor instead of the Arm3, but the code should be very compatible.  It seems to me that we can use the same tool chain, but update the signature check to look for the Arm4 (ATSAM4) instead of the ATSAM3.  As soon as I verify the boot pins, I'll try it.

vova_aryasov, did you short the two pins in the round mark to get it to reset?  My next step was going to trace the boot pins from the main chip to see if they were, but if you can confirm then I'll be one step closer.  I have a Jr just for educational purposes and if all else fails, I'll just drop in a printrboard to get it printing again, so I can experiment away on the main board... I have no plans on ever purchasing more closed filament for it.

Bill

let us know how it goes

It's possible to use Slicr3 with Da Vinci 1.0A  stock firmware? The current version is 2.0.0.

We got the printer two weeks ago and so far I just print two models downloaded from XYZ gallery and one that I made an "H" on Sketchup to test supports and bridges. I found many interesting articles in here and on Slic3r documentation, but I didn't manage to get an functional .3w file converted from gcode.

I've created a simple box on sketchup just to test infill and layer height, but when I save gcode as .3w it didn't work.

This is the start of gcode

; generated by Slic3r 1.2.9 on 2015-10-20 at 09:27:11

; external perimeters extrusion width = 0.40mm
; perimeters extrusion width = 0.62mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.62mm
; solid infill extrusion width = 0.62mm
; top infill extrusion width = 0.62mm

M107
M190 S90 ; set bed temperature
M104 S210 ; set temperature
G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle

M109 S210 ; wait for temperature to be reached
G21 ; set units to millimeters
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
M82 ; use absolute distances for extrusion
G92 E0
G1 Z0.350 F3600.000
G1 E-2.00000 F2400.00000
G92 E0
G1 X14.125 Y0.000 F3600.000
G1 E2.00000 F2400.00000
G1 X14.125 Y7.500 E2.71607 F720.000

I replaced the first 7 lines with these lines below, save as test.3w with base64 encode, but XYZware don't open the file.

; filename = composition.3w
; machine = daVinciF10
; material = abs
; layer_height = 0.2
; total_layers = 173
; total_filament = 0.00
; extruder = 1

It's confusing because some people say the semicolon are important others says they aren't. I'm using PLA filament, must I change that? What about total_layers and total_filament, make any difference changing that? The filename must be the same as the 3w file (test.3w)?

I'm using Windows 8.1 and I'd rather not open the printer to get the SD card if not needed, because I don't want to lose the warranty.

"I'd rather die than lose my life" -- Roberto Gomez Bolaños

I get this message when Im trying to reset a chip, anyone knows how to solve it?

http://soliforum.com/i/?Q5zScIX.png

@Landin81 Downgrade to Arduino version 1.5.8 or lower as a quick fix. The code will compile and run fine with that version. Arduino 1.6.6 handles the definition of the boolean data type differently.

Link for down grading doesn't work - is there any other available?

Be careful because now the software from the pc updates the printer automatically neutral Im in the 2.2.7 neutral