Re: XYZprinting Da Vinci 1.0 Hacking

@FinKone
When you add the extra header info be sure you put in /just/ the numbers, do not add "mm" this will cause the stock software to crash:

; filename = composition.3w
; machine = daVinciF10
; material = abs
; layer_height = 0.2
; total_layers = 173
; total_filament = 0.00
; extruder = 1

FYI: From what I can tell it doesn't seem to mater what numbers you use, though I like to put in accurate ones. wink

Okay, so I have been using the Volvito hack successfully to print 3rd party filament...

UNTIL TODAY...

Apparently they released new firmware or software updates so that it recognizes the cartridge as "unidentified." I get a message "due to an unidentified cartridge, your printer has failed."

Any thoughts on this?

Yes, that is correct. Just downgrade your firmware and you can use 400m, 999m. Otherwise you're going to have to program the eeprom to a standard cartridge size, eg 240m/600g.

I got a cartridge that had some obscure data, compared to what is currently being seen on the eeprom. I read it and wrote it back and it says undetected.  Looks to be some kind of encoding scheme. Beware , they might be phasing out the old cartridges on future firmware updates

is there anyway to adjust the bed temps or other extruder temps besides the option available in the sketch file? for example 235c extruder 100c bed temp?

FYI - I don't recall just where I read the comment about correcting for the "out of round" condition for either holes or round shapes but the thought was that the X-axis belt was a little too loose, so tightening that belt was the solution.  As is mentioned above, there is no real accurate way to judge the tension of the belt but I did move the motor (loosen 4 screws - left and right sides around the motor) - and while I can't say with any degree of certainty that this improved the "roundness" condition it did bring in something else that could have been more troubling.

The belt tension effectively pulls the bearing carriage on the left side towards the centerline of the unit.  If you put too much tension on the belt, something has to give and I believe it's the stretch potential within in the belt.  On the next two or three prints that I made following that adjustment, there was a definite sound coming from the bearing/carriage - the sound you would get from plastic under too much tension!  The point is, any adjustment to help the "roundness" may create another more threatening issue with either breaking or deforming the bearing that the belt is rotating or in breaking the belt as well - which would not be a good thing.  The sound has pretty much disappeared now as I believe the belt has once again reached some point of equilibrium - meaning it's probably not going to stretch much more and is most likely tight enough to do the job it was intended.  In this cube we call the "XYZ" printer, there are plastic parts, metal parts and "others" - and the ones most likely to create problems are those plastic pieces that are either tensioned too much, tightened down "too tight" or adjusted beyond what is reasonable and simply promotes the failure that sends us off into other areas for solutions.  Like it or not we need to think thru the "chain of events" that are likely if we don't want to end up with a collection of parts that won't work for us.  Lesson learned for me - now for you too!  Thanks.

Sorry if this message went to the wrong location - more suited to some of the earlier notes for mechanical changes - Thanks.

I don't know if it has been mentioned here already but for those who don't want to cut a hole in their printer to access the SD card, there is an SD card extension cable that you can plug into the slot on the printer, then run the cable down and out the back and just plug the SD card into that. Very easy and no holes! Just do a search for SD card extension cable. I found one for $4.16 on DealExtreme.

Hello,

I just received my davinci 1.0"A" this past weekend and of course updated the software to 1.1.33.3 and firmware to 1.0.3 before reading not to. What's the "no turning back" release that prevents us from downgrading? I am really frustrated with their implementation.

For those with perl there are one liners for encoding/ decoding base64

63. Base64 encode a string.

perl -MMIME::Base64 -e 'print encode_base64("string")'
This one-liner uses the MIME::Base64 module that is in the core (no need to install it, it comes with Perl). This module exports the encode_base64 function that takes a string and returns base64 encoded version of it.

To base64 encode the whole file do the following:

perl -MMIME::Base64 -0777 -ne 'print encode_base64($_)' file
Here the -0777 argument together with -n causes Perl to slurp the whole file into the $_ variable. Then the file gets base64 encoded and printed out, just like the string example above.

If we didn't slurp the file and encoded it line-by-line we'd get a mess.

64. Base64 decode a string.

perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("base64string")'
The MIME::Base64 module also exports decode_base64 function that takes a base64-encoded string and decodes it.

The whole file can be similarly decoded by:

perl -MMIME::Base64 -ne 'print decode_base64($_)' file
There is no need to slurp the whole file into $_ because each line of a base64 encoded file is exactly 76 characters and decodes nicely.

85 (edited by pricecg44 2015-01-07 19:00:33)

That base64 perl stuff is not producing .3w files. Base64 is just 64 character text, so latest is zip.

In the original post it says that it's preferred to set the total filament usage to 0.00 in the gcode then upload through xyzware.  Currently my printer is on 1.1.J and I have been unloading through XYZware.  Even though I set the filament usage to 0.00 in the code heading and footer (generated by slic3r) the filament is still counted and the total decreased.  Does anyone know what firmware this will work with.  Thanks in advance!

I have the version with FW 1.0.1.  Can this be downgraded?  I've read conflicting statements.

hi all, just flashed the printer and it is saying that the computer doesn't recognize the usb. I am using windows 8.1 and everytime i go to install the drivers it comes up as a bossa programming port (it should be an (Arduino Due Programming Port). I'm freaking out and don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. this is the guide I used, I followed the steps perfectly but it didn't work. btw I have da vinci 1.0A

aversano.tyler wrote:

hi all, just flashed the printer and it is saying that the computer doesn't recognize the usb. I am using windows 8.1 and everytime i go to install the drivers it comes up as a bossa programming port (it should be an (Arduino Due Programming Port). I'm freaking out and don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. this is the guide I used, I followed the steps perfectly but it didn't work. btw I have da vinci 1.0A

If it is coming up as a bossa programming port, then you have not actually flashed it. How exactly are you flashing it as you should be using Bossac and the one of the BIN files out there. Once you do that you can then use Arduino suite and Repetier Firmware .92 in the raw directory form where you open it in Arduino, make your setting changes you may want like baudrate and such then compile and upload it to the printer.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

solidonkey wrote:

It only works with "minimal.gcode" right now, there's a checksum calculation that I haven't figured out yet, so it's hardcoded for that test file.

BTW - just realized checksum is just a sum (ony gcode part, after replacing '\n' => '\r\n')

public static int checksum(byte[] arr, int start, int len)
        {
            int num = 0;
            for (int index = start; index < start + len; ++index)
                num = (int)arr[index] + num;
            return num;
        }

that gives 4 bytes - 00 00 b9 2e for minimal.gcode exact as hardcoded in print-to-davinci.py

Anybody have more details on printing outside of the XYZ software?  The newer versions won't see the printer on my Mac and the older version I have crashes and requires a reboot of the entire system. I have no python knowledge at all.

A long answer but, hopefully helpful...

I’ve had the Da Vinci 1.0  for two weeks and thought I’d summarize my experience with it.
Have made ton’s of SLA prototype and CNC machined parts (I own 3-axis CNC mill).
I know Gcode well and am a java and assembly-code programmer so naturally I tried out the various hacks.
Wanted a 3D printer that was low cost with some bang for the buck and would accept code.

Did several runs on small (0.5” x 1.0” x 0.03”) to large (7.6” x 7.6” x 3.5”) parts.
Used: XYZware, Netfabb and Slicer with many different settings to see their affects.
Material: White ABS (that came with printer) and Black ABS (from XYZ).

Summary of Results:
Surprisingly, in all cases, the XYZware printed the best.
Best approach (for me) is to:
    Repair .STL in Netfabb (not all holes closed when Auto-preparing in XYZware)
    Export it as .STL
    Drag&Drop (or import) into XYZware
    Select export / change parameters as desired (don’t repair as it was done in Netfabb)
    Print

Using Gcode (on iMac running Yosemite 10.10.2):
Worked until I upgraded Firmware - then no longer.  However, I took care of that, as follows:
Completely deleted XYZware (best to use an app cleaner so all the related files get deleted - there are several and deleting the related files is a must!!).

Re-install XYZware but DON’T upgrade firmware!  (perhaps that will change down the road).
Repair and export the .STL part in Netfabb.
Open it in Slicer (make your custom settings) and export gcode.
Edit the gcode using TextEdit (on a Mac, no need to decode base64 - it will be in english).
Add the required header lines (you can find them on net) and save.
Drag&Drop (or import) into XYZware and Print.
Works like a charm.

Poor documentation on the printer and it appears no ability to increase the extrude temp with gcode so strings on large objects aren’t bonding well, even at slow speed.  Extruder temp is 210C but the ABS specs from XYZ say range starts at 215C…

Mac OSX ElCapitan
Prusa i3 (two built from kits), 1 hacked DaVinci
Solidworks for models, Netfabb to repair, Repetier/Slic3r and Simplify3D

drag0ndu42 wrote:

Hello,

I just received my davinci 1.0"A" this past weekend and of course updated the software to 1.1.33.3 and firmware to 1.0.3 before reading not to. What's the "no turning back" release that prevents us from downgrading? I am really frustrated with their implementation.

I have the same issue with information, I can't find any help with the 1.0A downgrade from 1.0.3 my filament reset was working until recently now I get cartridge error 008.

Has anyone had quality issues after using filament reseters?

I've had my Da Vinci 1.0 for about a year and finally got tired of warping prints and expensive filament so I went all out with modifications.  I did the following in this order:

• Started with latetst firmware:

• Removed the back panel and removed the SD card

• Sliced a model using Slic3r and replaced the GCode for Sample1 (Slic3r config attached)

• Printed through SD card (Worked great!)

• Then I hard reset to revert firmware to J:

• Used the Arduino Nano to revert my catriges to 240/240 (using Filament Resetting Instructable)

• Sliced same model as above.  Now it's printing stringy and thin

Post's attachments

DaVinci1.0-Slic3r-config.ini 3.14 kb, 15 downloads since 2015-02-17 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Regarding, Turning back:  I’ve done this three times now - the second two times were to see if it was repeatable - it was.  I don’t know if the approach works on a windows machine - I’m using a mac and I did it with both OS X Snow Leopard and Yosemite.

Success may depend on the particular printer production date - why?  Because I see various folks and screen shots of the files on their sdcard in the machine - thus far, none have shown three additional files that are on my sdcard - they are ad_check_0001, ad_check_0002 and Machine_life.dat.

The first time I tried the routine noted in my previous post, I deleted those three files and nothing printed.  So, I put the files back on the scard and repeated the routine - it worked.  The folks at XYZ appear to changing things to minimize hacking so who knows what will change tomorrow!  I have no doubt they have someone scanning all the relevant sites to see what folks are doing…

You may have good luck if you follow my steps posted above under “Using Gcode”.  Be sure to blow away all previous xyzware files and install the app from the CD that came with the printer.  Note - I have upgraded xyzware but did not update firmware. I’m now using xyzware 1.2 and firmware 1.2.3 (1C137) and all is working well, including using Gcode.

Yesterday I printed a large 7.5-inch diameter part (an air cleaner cover for my Harley).  It came out perfect!  The trick to large prints, aside from good print settings is, don’t open the printer doors also, I put a rag over the top handle - did this to keep the heat inside, thus keeping freshly laid lines from hardening too fast prior the next layer…  I intentionally made horizontal air holes to see if printing in air (over a distance of 1/2 inch) would droop/etc - only a handful of drooping strands - easily cut them off for a prefect part!

Mac OSX ElCapitan

Had an issue after resetting my cartridge and using some aftermarket filament.    It was a clicking noise and then the extruder just stopped putting out material.   Read a lot of the posts here and there was everything from taking the thing apart to adjusting the bed, etc.   None of these are the issue from what I can tell.

If this happens to you, make sure you are using a filament/ABS that will work within the temperature range of the XYZ.   Have not seen how to adjust the temperature yet, so I'm stuck (for now) on that, but I noticed that the PLA I bought is rated for 190 C up to 210.   The XYZ operates above 210 C.    the ABS I bought operates between 210 and 230.

Popped out the PLA and put in the ABS and off she went without any issues.

FYI - Simplify3D enables setting Temps and a host of other parameters...

Mac OSX ElCapitan

Okay I have had my Da Vinci 1.0 for almost a year, brought it knowing that I could use aftermarket filament as a friend sell them.  I use the WCT to reset to 120m.  Never updated either software or firmware and been successfully printing even with different bed temps etc for almost a year with hundreds of successful prints.  One day XYZware stopped recognising printer, checked driver and seems to have done an update the morning I started using it.  Pulled out another laptop (with software already installed) disconnected the internet and works fine - whilst this is a work around its a pain the arse just booting up this laptop to do a print (its an old Win7 laptop).

So my questions are has anyone else experienced this?
Any idea how to over come this?

Some Spec's
Win7 Laptop (WORKING) SW 1.1.27.6 Printer Version 1.2.3; Printer Driver 8/01/2013 Version:6.0.0.0
Win 8.1 Laptop (was workin now not) SW 1.1.27.6; Printer Driver 22/01/2015 Version: 14.38.4.327

I'm unable to roll back driver as this option is not available.  Does anybody have an earlier driver they could send me (for Win8.1)?

Thanks in advance
Alice

throw that xyz software garbage out and get simplify 3d.  i uninstalled xyzware and havent missed it

100 (edited by mogs 2015-04-28 06:19:51)

My Davinci with latest firmware was not accepting .gcode files from slic3r as detailed in this thread.

It would give a message "You do not have proper printing material to print this file. (ABS1 is installed; 2 is required)"

I knew that there must be something missing from the file header, I wanted to take a look at the gcode XYZWare was using to print STL files.  The software gave away part of it's secret when I looked at the "Open recent gcode file" menu.  In the list was reference to a gcode file in ~/.XYZWare/.3W/, however when I looked in that directory there were only .STL, .3w and .xml files.

I ran an export from XYZWare and in a console manually ran 'ls' as quickly as I could, sure enough the .gcode file appeared and then disappeared shortly after.

So I wrote a little shell script that would attempt to copy any .gcode files to another directory a bunch of times which I would leave running while exporting a job from XYZWare

#!/bin/sh
i=1
while [ $i -le 10000 ]
do
  cp ~/.XYZware/.3W/*.gcode ~/Desktop/Build/
  (( i++ ))
done

This yielded a gcode file with additional header comments, the missing comment is

; filamentid = 41,41

In fact I was able to get it to print a .gcode job with only these two headers

; machine = daVinciF10
; filamentid = 41,41

I have attached the full gcode file for anyone interested

Post's attachments

Heart.gcode 200.39 kb, 23 downloads since 2015-04-27 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.