Re: XYZprinting Da Vinci 1.0 Hacking

Hi,

I am using this hack as the XYZ software is making my models come out rubbish. I have a question, when exporting the gcode from slic3r and opening it up in notepad++ I am getting a different set of commands compared to everyone else:

; generated by Slic3r 1.1.2 on 2014-05-07 at 16:05:14

; perimeters extrusion width = 0.40mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.67mm
; solid infill extrusion width = 0.67mm
; top infill extrusion width = 0.67mm

G21 ; set units to millimeters
M107
M190 S100 ; wait for bed temperature to be reached
M104 S230 ; set temperature
G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle

M109 S230 ; wait for temperature to be reached
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
G92 E0
M82 ; use absolute distances for extrusion
G1 F1800.000 E-1.00000
G92 E0
G1 Z0.250 F7800.000
G1 X87.534 Y88.934 F7800.000
G1 E1.00000 F1800.000
G1 X88.057 Y88.489 E1.03416 F540.000
G1 X88.715 Y88.027 E1.07416

Should I still keep these first few lines of gcode?

; perimeters extrusion width = 0.40mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.67mm
; solid infill extrusion width = 0.67mm
; top infill extrusion width = 0.67mm

If I should still keep them, where should I add the XYZprinting details?

Thanks,

Leigh

52 (edited by solidonkey 2014-05-08 01:41:45)

My cartridge stopped working today, selecting "Cartridge info" in the menu only showed "No cartridge". Looks like something happened to the EEPROM, don't know if it was just a fluke error wiping out some of the data or if the firmware automatically erases parts of the EEPROM after the cartridge is empty:

Notice the FF's on the same line as the filament count.

Cartridge EEPROM now after trying the reset hack unsuccessfully:

00: 5A41570000343243C0D40100C0D40100 ZAW..42C........
10: D2005A00544855533031313900000000 ..Z.THUS0119....
20: 000000003400000001010101AA55AA55 ....4........U.U
30: FFFFFFFFC0D40100FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ................
40: 5A41570000343243C0D40100C0D40100 ZAW..42C........
50: D2005A00544855533031313900000000 ..Z.THUS0119....
60: 000000003400000001010101AA55AA55 ....4........U.U
70: FFFFFFFFC0D40100FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ................

Cartridge EEPROM dump from a week ago when it was working:

00: 5A41570000343243C0D40100C0D40100 ZAW..42C........
10: D2005A00544855533031313900000000 ..Z.THUS0119....
20: 000000003400000001010101AA55AA55 ....4........U.U
30: 883355AABF7201000000001004ED00E0 .3U..r..........
40: 5A41570000343243C0D40100C0D40100 ZAW..42C........
50: D2005A00544855533031313900000000 ..Z.THUS0119....
60: 000000003400000001010101AA55AA55 ....4........U.U
70: 883355AAC0D40100AA55AA5507830A00 .3U......U.U....

Going to try to load the entirety of my old EEPROM dump into the cartridge again and see if it fixes it.

EDIT: Well, that ended poorly, haha, I accidentally hooked up the 5V and GND wrong and now either the Arduino is dead or the EEPROM is. Guess I'll just order a new cartridge and wait for that.

The header information is JUST comments.  I can't believe how many people are claiming otherwise.  It's describing how the toolpaths were generated.  DO you see the E in the G1 lines?  That's how much material is being extruded based on the calculation in Slicer.  The X/Y commands are controlling your lines and your extrusion widths.  If I have 2 lines both going linearly, the amount they are separated from each other linearly as well as the extrusion is controlled by Slic3r and specified not by the header, but by the X/Y/E statements.  Thinner lines (less extrusion width) will have smaller E values and the paths will be closer to each other.  This is not a machine that does parametric programming.  It is not reading the comments and saying "Oh shit, I need to make all my perimeters this thick, and the infill this thick."   I do G-coding both manually and software output professionally for a living.  I have programs I've written that DO indeed do all the calculations needed to make a variety of parts with one program (ex. change a variable for part number from 1 to 2 and the machine will make a completely different part).  If I change even one of those lines into a comment, the part will be wrong and/or the machine may crash. 

I'm not saying that the machine isn't expecting XX numbers of comment lines before the main program.  I'm just saying that it is NOT reading those lines.  Don't believe me?  Take a known good program on your SD card and change the comment lines manually to other values (ie change extrustion width=.40 to 1.0 or something) and print again.    I can tell you firsthand, copying the header information from the sample01 file and not changing ANYTHING gave me perfect prints every time.

54 (edited by Ovrclck350 2014-05-08 15:44:44)

OK.  End of discussion. 

Here is the header information of the file I literally JUST ran, output by slicer with all comments except for the filename copied over from the sample file.  I'm pretty sure you could actually even delete this line with no problem but I'll have to verify that later.  I will gladly email the complete file to anyone who requests it if they want to test it themselves--it's for the coin top spinner thing from thingiverse.

EDIT:  I wanted to change my perimeter settings on this so I reoutput it and it's currently running without even the filename comment in it. So ALL comments before the G21 line are gone and I'm running with absolutely no problems.  If someone else has an issue then either I have an oddball Davinci or they are doing something wrong.  If you are STILL in doubt and want to argue more about the Davinci needing the comment lines at the front, I will mail you this gcode file and let you run it.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q44/Ovrclck350/Coin-Top_zps6b436015.jpg

i did the SD trick with slic3r g code and upped my temperature for better prints; however when the extruder warms up it does not achive the temperature I specified.  the print quality also is unchanged.  Is this normal , and how do I increase my temps?

I have successfuly hacked the cartridge and am feeding 3rd party ABS in though the top cover.  Works great!  interestingly though when I try to feed PLA into the head the feed drives wont even engage.  I even chases a short piece of ABS into the hot end drives.  Are these print heads that smart that they can detect the material type?  my suspicion is yes.  I am almost tempted to take a head appart to see if there is an optical sensor or similar.  Am I crazy or has any one been aple to print PLA?

I just had my head off literally 3 minutes ago.  Next time I take it off I'll snap some pictures.

Ovrclck350 wrote:

I just had my head off literally 3 minutes ago.  Next time I take it off I'll snap some pictures.

Be great if you could show step by step removing the head and putting back, mine needs cleaning it looks black.

harry

59 (edited by Pilatus12 2014-05-10 14:24:51)

I haven't uploaded gcode through the SD card.  I plan on inserting a wireless SD card so that I can WIFI connect my machine.  In the intern I am using slic3r to generate the G-Code, save as a .3w encode file (base64 encode)  and then I use the XYZ software to upload the files to the machine.  If you use the XYZ software you do have to at the comment header at the top.  They software reads it while it loads.  without the header the software will not load the file. - but from other posters obviously the machine doesnt need the header.

harrypottar wrote:
Ovrclck350 wrote:

Be great if you could show step by step removing the head and putting back, mine needs cleaning it looks black.

harry

Done.

Thanks, I saw your post in the other thread.

harry

Ovrclck350 wrote:

OK.  End of discussion. 

Here is the header information of the file I literally JUST ran, output by slicer with all comments except for the filename copied over from the sample file.  I'm pretty sure you could actually even delete this line with no problem but I'll have to verify that later.  I will gladly email the complete file to anyone who requests it if they want to test it themselves--it's for the coin top spinner thing from thingiverse.

I am uploading through the XYZware Program (on a mac without base64) and not going directly to the SD card. Maybe this is the difference.

Ovrclck350 wrote:

The header information is JUST comments.  I can't believe how many people are claiming otherwise.  It's describing how the toolpaths were generated.  DO you see the E in the G1 lines?  That's how much material is being extruded based on the calculation in Slicer.  The X/Y commands are controlling your lines and your extrusion widths.  If I have 2 lines both going linearly, the amount they are separated from each other linearly as well as the extrusion is controlled by Slic3r and specified not by the header, but by the X/Y/E statements.  Thinner lines (less extrusion width) will have smaller E values and the paths will be closer to each other.  This is not a machine that does parametric programming.  It is not reading the comments and saying "Oh shit, I need to make all my perimeters this thick, and the infill this thick."   I do G-coding both manually and software output professionally for a living.  I have programs I've written that DO indeed do all the calculations needed to make a variety of parts with one program (ex. change a variable for part number from 1 to 2 and the machine will make a completely different part).  If I change even one of those lines into a comment, the part will be wrong and/or the machine may crash. 

I'm not saying that the machine isn't expecting XX numbers of comment lines before the main program.  I'm just saying that it is NOT reading those lines.  Don't believe me?  Take a known good program on your SD card and change the comment lines manually to other values (ie change extrustion width=.40 to 1.0 or something) and print again.    I can tell you firsthand, copying the header information from the sample01 file and not changing ANYTHING gave me perfect prints every time.

Exactly, the extrusion width comment is just to let you see the way it was generated and will in no way affect the outcome of the print if you change that number from say .4 to say 1 in the commented section as the "path" has already been made. It's not like there is cutter compensation involved here. so wardjr please actually know what you are talking about before spreading misinformation. Thanks much.

I've just set up a web service to convert slic3r gcode files for use by XYZware. I know this isn't a hard thing to do, but - having a computer do it means I can't screw it up.

You can take a look at it at xyzifier.fpcenter.io. Feedback would be appreciated.

For those interested in the source, you can open that at, um, well, it won't let me post links. So you get to decode
fpcomplete.com Slash user Slash mwm Slash XYZifiy

Alright I need a little help here, I've got my printer up and running with slic3r and have gotten files loaded onto it but now I have been using Octave 1.75mm white ABS @230C and when the parts come out the surface isn't solid it almost looks like a small mesh like tiny bubbles/gaps in between the layers, is this due to temps too high or still too low? running at stock temps it was the same but layers wouldn't fully stick together now the layers are strong but have little micro bubbles in between the layers. Any ideas?

sturds wrote:

Alright I need a little help here, I've got my printer up and running with slic3r and have gotten files loaded onto it but now I have been using Octave 1.75mm white ABS @230C and when the parts come out the surface isn't solid it almost looks like a small mesh like tiny bubbles/gaps in between the layers, is this due to temps too high or still too low? running at stock temps it was the same but layers wouldn't fully stick together now the layers are strong but have little micro bubbles in between the layers. Any ideas?

Make sure your print bed is leveled the the Z-offset stored in the EEPROM is the proper value. I had the "wicker basket" look going on and I discovered that the stored z-offset was off from the reality.

You can take a look at the branch of Repetier-Firmware that's being worked on here: http://voltivo.com/forum/davinci-firmwa … art=20#333 that give a lot more control over the printer.

I've checked the bed level and they are 230,225,230 "passes" it looks as if there are gaps in the extrusion line rather than a solid filament line, the thick "raft/pre-print outline" extrusions look fine but on the object itself it appears that the extruder is not outputting a "laminar" thread. The original filament didn't have this problem it developed with the Octave filament but I'm not about to switch back to their stuff, I've got another brand of filament running through it now and the print should almost be done I'll see if this one does the same thing.

68 (edited by jvandyke 2014-06-06 18:04:47)

Total noob here.  I'm a teacher trying to work this out for use in my elementary school.  Ran out of the OEM filament (per counter, not reality) and rather than just use the cartridge reset I decided to try to jailbreak the whole thing.  Need to learn A LOT to do this apparenlty!
Finally got a print out my DaVinci using Repetier Host and the firmware from the Voltivo forum.  Got some things to work on, mainly the "basket weave" effect.  Printed really fast (to my untrained eye) and the layers aren't sticking to each other, very open cell and ready to unravel.  I see the z offset mentioned above, don't see that value in the eeprom to reset it.  I did bump the temp up a bit (220 as I recall) but what it really is I don't know.
BTW I struggled for a long time as commencing prints caused the bed to drop below home (from a -8.00 preset to 5 which left the nozzle WAY off the bed.  Finally set printer settings in Slic3r z offset to -8.00 and still had to readjust the bed a bit and got a print but, it's a basket!

Found filament size was wrong.  Set to 1.75 and it printed much better, still some layer separation so I think I will try to increase the flow rate a bit?

I just want to say thank you to solidonkey! I performed the cartridge hack and afterwards my prints were turning out horrible. It was as if the printer was not delivering enough filament. I followed the advice of solidonkey and downgraded the firmware and now the printer is printing excellently!

70 (edited by Wallybanger 2014-08-02 01:06:29)

Alright, I am now a proud member of the DaVinci 1.0 team tongue

Has anyone figured out how to hack the filament cartridges with anything other than an Arduino Uno?  I have the Mega and I don't really wanna have to buy another arduino just so I can hack the filament cartridges.

Also,  I'm getting some layer separation on the star vase demo print I did last night.  I have to mess with it before it cracks and separates but I'm wondering if slightly increasing the nozzle temp will allow for better adhesion... or perhaps it's just because the outer wall is so thin?  It measures at approximately 1mm.

Thanks smile

Tried to use your python code on my DaVinci

Windows XP 64 Python 2.7 My printer is on com7

Get error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python27\DaVinci\DaVinci_reader", line 4, in <module>
    port=sys.argv[1],
IndexError: list index out of range

Help?

Quote solidonkey
I have a small python script that can communicate with the printer directly, and get serial number, status, temperatures, etc. Credits to joshj for getting me some captures of the serial communication.

https://github.com/jasongao/DaVinci1.0/ … davinci.py

example usage on Mac:
python print-to-davinci.py /dev/tty.usbmodem801211 minimal.gcode

It only works with "minimal.gcode" right now, there's a checksum calculation that I haven't figured out yet, so it's hardcoded for that test file.

Can someone direct me to the procedure to install
Repetier on a DaVinci 1.0?

Tnx

73 (edited by POPOTROPOPIC3 2014-09-09 14:58:49)

I Have figured out how to get sli3r to g-code. And all that but, when I load prints into the XYZware and try to print,  I get an error that says something like incorrect printer.... I have used sli3er to export directly to .stl and that works fine. The only thing that I can think of is that in the "preliminary" code that I've copied. 

This one:
; filename = composition.3w
; machine = daVinciF10
; material = abs
; layer_height = 0.2
; total_layers = 173
; total_filament = 0.00
; extruder = 1

Anyone have answers?

Go find the links from w34 and use his modded version of XYZware. It will save you a lot of headaches attempting to get your slicer of choice setup and working with the DaVinci, since he's already done the heavy lifting for you.

75 (edited by FinKone 2014-09-29 01:51:22)

Ok I'm late to the game, and I'm gonna bring it back down a notch.  wink

I can import the .3w into the horrid XYZ software for printing, the second I do (click print that is.  I can see the model loaded into the software), I get a "stopped working" close on the software.  Is this because I still have to download to older firmware and software?  I'm using the most current and up to date version for both.  I just can't stand XYZ's slicing - so any help would be more then welcome.  I only saw on a old youtube video about downgrading the firmware and wanted to check and make sure its still required - I thought it might not be.

Using Win 8.1,

Thanks guys - save me form this stock software.