Re: XYZprinting Da Vinci 1.0 Hacking

If it is reading 999 there's something not hitting right. Xyz says to aim for within 20 of each other, but they also say that optimum is between 200 and 250. Mine's at like 140, but my prints look like crap regardless. I think their filament is half to blame. My prints look like filament contamination. I took the nozzle off and completely cleaned it today. Even one or two messed up prints can get burned and in places you wouldn't imagine. My metal indicator piece had buildup on in (hence why I was releveling). The head pops off pretty easily-there's a plastic spring loaded handle above the head (in the back). Life it up and the head pulls out. You will have to into 2 connectors.

Hi, I would like to decode the cartridge eeproms with the goal of ultimately making an emulator. I haven't got he parts just yet to reprogram any of my cartridges. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to test something for me?

To me it looks like the head temp is the red and bed temp is the blue value. 16bit littleendian

5A4147000034325380A9030080A90300
D2005A00544847423030353900000000
00000000340000005A415700AA55AA55
883355AA80A90300AA55AA5507830A00

does flashing the spool with the following set the head temp to 180 for PLA?

B4005A00544847423030353900000000

I'm not able to test it since I haven't gotten around to programming my Arduino yet--but you can set the value in the program.  The cartridge only holds the INITIAL temperature values.  Changing it in the program and using the wait command will wait for the temperature to drop.

BTW, if anyone has their original SAMPLE01.gcode file and doesn't mind emailing it to me, could they PM me and I'll give you my email address?  I lost mine somehow and would like to have it as a backup copy in case I ever sell the printer.

skestes wrote:

Circles out of round...

OK, so when I print any type of a cylinder, either just tiny 5mm hole or a 10mmx10mm cylinder they always come out just a little oval. For instance a part I was printing was supposed to be 14mm in diameter but ended up 13.8x14.2 oval which did not fit the tolerances. With this issue I can't hope to print any working gears.

Since, unlike a RepRap, we're limited at our ability to fine-tune the system I'm at a loss of where to begin looking. XYZ doesn't offer any info like belt tension or even maintenance info like how, when, and with what to grease the rods and gears.

Any thoughts to a fix for the ovals and maintenance tips?

hi i've got the same problem
i'm trying to find why
if you have an idea , let's share!
thx

Having a SD2 Solidoodle, the corner-to-corner ovals are usually caused by not having the same tension on both the Y axis belts. Check the tension and try tightening the looser one and test the print again. It helped on the SD2 and the designs are VERY similar.

If the oval is front-to-back only, there are other things you can check using a different slicer, such as, what X,Y dimensions are used while slicing.

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

ggunners wrote:

Having a SD2 Solidoodle, the corner-to-corner ovals are usually caused by not having the same tension on both the Y axis belts. Check the tension and try tightening the looser one and test the print again. It helped on the SD2 and the designs are VERY similar.

If the oval is front-to-back only, there are other things you can check using a different slicer, such as, what X,Y dimensions are used while slicing.

Yes, they are corner-to-corner and I can tell from pressing on them that the X and Y aren't under the same tension. I've ordered a Spring scale that's good to from 0-1KG so I can rig it to help me test the belt tension. I have to take the X-axis apart anyways and correct an issue with the endstop, but I'm waiting until Friday and some PTFE grease arrives.

On that note...Don't jog the X-axis without moving it in the Y direction about 40mm first. In the 'Home' position jogging the X-axis only can cause the carriage to run into the Z endstop sensor. This caused the X belt to jump and while it still prints (since the G Code sets the position to relative) any homing command causes the carriage to run too far to the right and bangs into the X endstop. My solution is to print some crosshairs on the build platform and them measure how far X is off in order to return it to the correct position.

skestes,

I have the same issue. I've tried to adjust the X axis tighter, which resulted in a horrible squeeking sound when printing, but didn't solve the problem.

I can't see how to adjust the Y tensions though. Do you have to take off the big plastic shroud that covers the sides of the printer?

Attached are a couple pics of my "oblong" holes.

Post's attachments

2014-04-30 11.45.19.jpg 1.83 mb, 2 downloads since 2014-05-01 

2014-05-01 16.19.38.jpg
2014-05-01 16.19.38.jpg 3.05 mb, 1 downloads since 2014-05-01 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Bonzi wrote:

skestes,

I have the same issue. I've tried to adjust the X axis tighter, which resulted in a horrible squeeking sound when printing, but didn't solve the problem.

I can't see how to adjust the Y tensions though. Do you have to take off the big plastic shroud that covers the sides of the printer?

Yes, but it appears the the tension is set by 2 springs (and then locked by 2 ill-fitting screws) without changing the springs out for ones with a higher force constant. If, either due to an out-of-tolerance part or issues during shipping, the springs could become compressed beyond their "permanent set" point. This would cause one or both Y belts to be too loose.

The X-axis has a spring as well but it appears to only exist to make it easier to insert the set screw during assembly. I read on another forum that checking to make sure the X-axis motor is in its mount correctly since that affects X belt tension.

skestes wrote:
Bonzi wrote:

skestes,

Yes, but it appears the the tension is set by 2 springs (and then locked by 2 ill-fitting screws) without changing the springs out for ones with a higher force constant. If, either due to an out-of-tolerance part or issues during shipping, the springs could become compressed beyond their "permanent set" point. This would cause one or both Y belts to be too loose.

The X-axis has a spring as well but it appears to only exist to make it easier to insert the set screw during assembly. I read on another forum that checking to make sure the X-axis motor is in its mount correctly since that affects X belt tension.

Please let me know when you adjust your Y belt tension(s), and maybe snap a couple pics as my oblong circles are killing me.

Thanks!

anybody managed to print with cura?
i tried once but my Z axis was too deep and the hotend was touching the bed
hopefully no damages!
and with the last ini config sent on this thread, i've got no results at all
xyzware doesn't want to open it

I found it helpful to run the 3D object I wanted to print through Autodesk 3DPrint utility first, then save the the file to an STlL format, it cleans up any errors in the model then I just import the new STL file in to the xyz Da Vinci software and print with no problems. you can get the App search Google for:Autodesk 3DPrint utility

Anybody got a backup of printer firmware 1.1.E ?

I can cancel the filament countdown by just adding ; total_filament = 0 to the gcode

Please help

Jin wrote:

Anybody got a backup of printer firmware 1.1.E ?

I can cancel the filament countdown by just adding ; total_filament = 0 to the gcode

Please help

Not sure you want to downgrade down to E. There are probably other improvements made since then that you want to keep.

Please let me know if anybody has a firmware 1.1.E . (or any version before 1.1.G)

I don't want to get a EEPROM Reset until I figure out why the printer stop printing after an hour or 2 for large prints.

Thank you.

Jin wrote:

Please let me know if anybody has a firmware 1.1.E . (or any version before 1.1.G)

I don't want to get a EEPROM Reset until I figure out why the printer stop printing after an hour or 2 for large prints.

Thank you.

Are you using an external spool? If so make sure there not too much resistance when filament is unspooled.

Not yet, but soon. I am using external slicer since the XYZware can't do the job properly.

So hoping if anyone got previous versions of firmware could upload it.

i tried with cura using base 64 protocol (notepad ++)
i managed to setup the Z offset in cura start code (0.36mm for my machine) and start a print correctly
....but after 3 or 4 layers z stopped rising and all layers continued to be printed at the same height so i stopped the print
so i'm sure it can work but i'm not expert enough in programing g-code to know why it doesn't
if you've got an idea......

Post's attachments

clamp6.gcode 440.96 kb, 13 downloads since 2014-05-04 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I can't get it work with cura yet too.

My raised about an inch above the platform.

joshj wrote:

Very nice summary solidonkey.

So for what it's worth this machine uses repeitier software modified for xyz.
I can get repietier to connect but davinci is expecting outputs differently than repietier send so all gcode is ignored. 

For what it's worth, not all files created by Slicer need the header changed and I have not had time to look into why that is yet or what is different in the ones that need changed.

People were also asking for slicer settings, well first off I made the nozzle size .4.

Upped the extruder multiplier to 1.05 or so.

I lowered all the speeds in the slicer config by alot, while it still printed ok at the default slic3r speeds, it seemed alot noisy and rough on the machine.
All speeds are in the main body of the g-code, unless this is different than commercial cnc machines all lines with a ; in the front are nothing but comments and are ignored by the gcode translator(printer). The header lines that have a ; in front of them are NOT read by the machine and are ignored so replacing them with the XYZ header is fine. For what is wort I do not "add to the slicer header I straight replace it and the speeds are exactly what I set them to be in slic3r.

Set it to do random start points per layer so you dont get that start stop edge blobbing like in the xyz ware.

So now that is about it, everything else really is a print by print basis. like on large overhanging prints I set it to do outer perimeter last and so on.

It is really a trial and error deal, but you can get very good results.

OK so here is a txt file of a test print sent from xyzware to davainici

Seeing how the temperature settings, filament used, filenames, etc... are placed after a ";" I would say that the code is clearly not ignored. Not to mention that if certain ones are left out the printer will error out. Maybe those lines of code don't talk to the drivers but they are talking to something. If I leave the lines of code out that notate speeds, my printer runs at a single speed.

They are ignored.  A .gcode file is a text file.  The text behind the semicolons are text for reference only so that if you open the file you can quickly identify how it was sliced.  The temperature settings are in the main body of the actual code.  If you are getting errors, including one speed of printing, then you are either slicing it with incorrect settings or you're deleting other stuff that you shouldn't. 

3Ding wrote:
joshj wrote:

Very nice summary solidonkey.

So for what it's worth this machine uses repeitier software modified for xyz.
I can get repietier to connect but davinci is expecting outputs differently than repietier send so all gcode is ignored. 

For what it's worth, not all files created by Slicer need the header changed and I have not had time to look into why that is yet or what is different in the ones that need changed.

People were also asking for slicer settings, well first off I made the nozzle size .4.

Upped the extruder multiplier to 1.05 or so.

I lowered all the speeds in the slicer config by alot, while it still printed ok at the default slic3r speeds, it seemed alot noisy and rough on the machine.
All speeds are in the main body of the g-code, unless this is different than commercial cnc machines all lines with a ; in the front are nothing but comments and are ignored by the gcode translator(printer). The header lines that have a ; in front of them are NOT read by the machine and are ignored so replacing them with the XYZ header is fine. For what is wort I do not "add to the slicer header I straight replace it and the speeds are exactly what I set them to be in slic3r.

Set it to do random start points per layer so you dont get that start stop edge blobbing like in the xyz ware.

So now that is about it, everything else really is a print by print basis. like on large overhanging prints I set it to do outer perimeter last and so on.

It is really a trial and error deal, but you can get very good results.

OK so here is a txt file of a test print sent from xyzware to davainici

Seeing how the temperature settings, filament used, filenames, etc... are placed after a ";" I would say that the code is clearly not ignored. Not to mention that if certain ones are left out the printer will error out. Maybe those lines of code don't talk to the drivers but they are talking to something. If I leave the lines of code out that notate speeds, my printer runs at a single speed.

While semicolon prefixed lines are considered comments in gcode files, there is no reason at all that this closed proprietary firmware could not be reading them and interpreting them for their own reasons.

They shouldn't, but they can.

Don: Folger Tech 2020 Kossel Rev A + Borosilicate + Snow Effector
        Davinci 1.0 + Repetier : Filastruder
        SD3 + RAMPS + Lawsy Carriages + E3D + Borosilicate + ... : Cupcake

I've been playing around a bit this morning and ended up with a gcode file that the printer would not accept. (It would upload the file but then the printer would not start the job and eventually reset itself. After an hour of changing one thing at a time in the gcode file, I discovered that the line that read "; first layer extrusion width = 0.53mm" was missing from the header. After I added it the printer started the print job. I'm assuming it is because the gcode file that I'm using defines the rest of the extrusion widths, which could result in the machine needing all of them?? It is not ignoring commands behind a semicolon, clearly.

3Ding wrote:

I've been playing around a bit this morning and ended up with a gcode file that the printer would not accept. (It would upload the file but then the printer would not start the job and eventually reset itself. After an hour of changing one thing at a time in the gcode file, I discovered that the line that read "; first layer extrusion width = 0.53mm" was missing from the header. After I added it the printer started the print job. I'm assuming it is because the gcode file that I'm using defines the rest of the extrusion widths, which could result in the machine needing all of them?? It is not ignoring commands behind a semicolon, clearly.

Well that would be the silliest thing for it to actually read out of the entire comments almost. Considering this is not a cnc machine using tool diameter offsets (cutter compensation) to follow a correct path, the extrusion width makes no difference in the actual operation of the machine. That being said it is plausible it expects to see certain text in the header.

For whats it worth, slice in slic3r and base64 encode all files, only some don't work, I have not had the time to "decode" why those don't work, but a quick header copy and paste fixes it right up. And to get the printer to actually run at the 230/90 I now use for all prints I have to delete the 3 ; starting the lines dealing with the temp in the header.

joshj wrote:
3Ding wrote:

Well that would be the silliest thing for it to actually read out of the entire comments almost. Considering this is not a cnc machine using tool diameter offsets (cutter compensation) to follow a correct path, the extrusion width makes no difference in the actual operation of the machine. That being said it is plausible it expects to see certain text in the header.

For whats it worth, slice in slic3r and base64 encode all files, only some don't work, I have not had the time to "decode" why those don't work, but a quick header copy and paste fixes it right up. And to get the printer to actually run at the 230/90 I now use for all prints I have to delete the 3 ; starting the lines dealing with the temp in the header.

A quick note... in Slic3r "extrusion width" absolutely makes a difference in the operation of the machine.  It sets your tool path, try setting it to something really large like 4mm and looking at the generated g-code.
So I am guessing the problem was it was reading zero as it was was commented out.
Hope this helps.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions