Topic: Newly Installed E3D Problems

After installing an E3D hotend to my SD3, I started to experience a weird extrusion issue.  Because of the nozzle size increase (from stock SD3 0.35mm to 0.4mm), I upped the extrusion width from 0.42mm to 0.48mm.  I'm not sure if that is what caused this issue, or if it is something wrong with my extruder.  It seems to have a pattern when printing a calibration piece with a flat wall, so I don't think that this is a random over extrusion issue (it has also been calibrated with a single wall print to be exactly 0.48mm wide).  I have never adjusted my stepper drivers before, so I suppose it could be that.  I honestly have no idea though.  Has anyone experienced anything like this before?  I'm getting tired of constantly fiddling with this thing to get it to simply print correctly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My printer has stock everything except for the E3D hotend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/wmfootball75/c8315af2-c15a-4105-b81d-555078ab3e8f.jpg

I can take better pictures this afternoon if need be.  Thank you all.

Re: Newly Installed E3D Problems

My vote is moire.

The E3D is polished SS, 2mm bore. The SD hot end is PTFE/brass, up to 3mm bore in some places.

The E3D will show the effects of the 1/16th micro stepping much more than the stock SD hot end. Look into a 1/32 stepper driver.

agree with moire.

you can read about it more here http://www.soliforum.com/topic/3491/ext … g-to-fail/

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Thank you both for your help.  Here's another picture of a different part.  This was actually my first print with my new E3D.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/wmfootball75/moire.jpg

Unfortunately, my printer actually did much better with the old hotend before it clogged up on me. sad

Is the E3D tight in the mount?

ronsii wrote:

Is the E3D tight in the mount?

Yes, I actually made a custom mount for it that is incredibly secure. I don't think that wobbling was the issue.

smile just checking...

The thing with the E3D is it is more precise to give exactly what is asked for from the electronics so basically every stepper pulse shows up on the print and is visible as moire, some people have gone to using higher resolution steppers to mitigate this effect... also tuning the stepper drivers can eliminate some of this visible phenomenon but your first pics look a bit different than that??? So I am not entirely sure it is moire or at least all of the problem...

I'm betting you also need to recalibrate steps/mm.

+1 to moire and +1 to recalibrate. I had to fix both with mine too.

Just to be clear, there is not a problem with the extruder, it's just that it's more accurate and shows up other flaws in the system.

A good example of this is changing filament between colors. On the e3d the extruder colour changes from old to new in a very short distance. On the old extruder, I would need to complete small prints after changing from black to white to get rid the grey in between extruded filament.

Thank you all for the advice. Here's one more picture closer up.

http://i.imgur.com/qPEEvGi.jpg

My prints have looked like that since I got my SD3…until today!  I finally got the courage to adjust the extruder motor trimpot and my moire is 99% gone.  Unlike what I've read elsewhere, the solution was not to turn the trimpot up, but rather DOWN.  Here's what worked for me:
1) Locate the trimpot on the motherboard for the extruder motor (trimpots are the small white things that you can turn with a mini flathead screwdriver.  On my motherboard, the extruder trimpot is the highest one on the left side).
2) Turn it all the way down (counter-clockwise).  Should not take much force.
3) In Repetier, set your extrusion speed to 5 (slow), and extrude something like 25mm or so.  You should be able to hear the motor moving.
4) Slowly turn the trimpot up (clockwise) and listen for any changes in the motor noise.  For me, the motor started out smooth and started pulsing at around 45 degrees.  The pulsing is the sound of the motor jumping between steps (hence "stepper motor") and is also what causes the moire effect.  Anything above 45 degrees resulted in heavy pulsing (before this experiment, it was at 90 degrees).  Back the trimpot down to just barely under the threshold of where the pulsing starts.  Voila!  No more moire!!

12 (edited by Boz 2013-12-10 23:43:51)

I just installed my 8825 driver, and I swear that when adjusting it the motor starting playing music.  It's almost like it was picking up a radio station.

Seems it's happened before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzBkxwesTYw

It still freaked me out for a minute!  Haha.

Thank you all again for your help.  I was able to solder and install the new driver yesterday, and also retrim all of my stepper drivers.  The results are pretty noticeable.  I hope to get a new extruder stepper down the road and improve it even more.  Here are some comparison pictures:

E3D Hotend, 1/16 microstepping (Before):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/wmfootball75/PhotoDec10100453PM.jpg

E3D Hotend, 1/32 microstepping (After):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/wmfootball75/PhotoDec10100449PM.jpg

Boz. I am curious how you installed a 8825 driver. I guess you are not running a Printrboard rev E?

did you have to change the steps per min or anything else or just plug in the new driver??

16 (edited by adrian 2014-01-12 09:45:09)

you have to change the steps per mm when you change to 1/32 - they are doubled from whatever they are in 1/16.

Additionally, with the e3d, you will find it advantages to set RH to extrude at 60mm/min and then extrude 120mm's.... then adjust vref up or down until you see the smoothest possible rotation on the drive cog (mark it with a sharpie - it helps immensely) .

This will virtually eliminate moire. steps after this is to switch to bulldog XL or other geared extruder (or try 0.9° steppers).

Is there anyway to fix this with the Printrboard rev E ?  I got this problem after i put the e3d on and just now found this thread, This has been pissing me off, but now i have found the problem.
Thanks G

G-unit, easiest way might be to switch to a 0.9 degree stepper motor (400steps/rev)

Or just adjust the VREF trimpots. .. there is no difference to the printrboard in this regard.... no changes to motors needed

i didn't think my board had them, but now i see them.
Thanks G

You guys are AWESOME!!

My printer is fixed, after a long time trying to get this to work with the E3D, and now it is.
THANK YOU all for your help.
I owe you a drink.
Thanks G

A hearty lurker's THANK YOU from me as well-- that little turn of the pot really iced my cake of upgrades smile

On the left: er... this was supposed to be an upgrade!
On the right: PHEW!

Post's attachments

Photo Apr 29, 9 38 39 AM.jpg
Photo Apr 29, 9 38 39 AM.jpg 997.49 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD3 mid-2013 with Lawsy Mk5 extruder and carriages, E3D hot end, 30A power supply w/enif cover

salsaman wrote:

A hearty lurker's THANK YOU from me as well-- that little turn of the pot really iced my cake of upgrades smile

On the left: er... this was supposed to be an upgrade!
On the right: PHEW!

Glad to see your getting some positive results.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

24 (edited by cada 2014-05-13 22:08:05)

Thanks - this fixed things for me too.
The extruder stepper noise went from chigchigchigchig to mmmmmmmmmmmmm
After this I had to change my steps per mm from 98 to 136
but I think it's cured my wavy extrusion problem smile

cada wrote:

Thanks - this fixed things for me too.
The extruder stepper noise went from chigchigchigchig to mmmmmmmmmmmmm
After this I had to change my steps per mm from 98 to 136
but I think it's cured my wavy extrusion problem smile

For steps/mm that seems high I would think your extrusion multiplier is off or filament diameter is not accurate.  Steps/mm should be right around 104 - 108.  Even if you think your getting good results it will affect something else at some point.  Either way if it's working... Great.  You will want to take note of it being set rather high for future trouble shooting of some other issues you come across.
Happy printing.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions