Re: RepRapDiscount "Bulldog XL" Geared Metal Extruder on a Solidoodle 3!

mloebl wrote:

I tried bringing the existing mount into tinkercard, but their STL importer seems to bastardize it in spots.  However, I think based on other examples I've seen online, I may be able to use the front lip to mount a servo and arm too.  Ordered a few parts and hope to try something out over the next couple of weeks.

Just a tip I found the hard way.  First print I did off the mount I had a lot of problems with the belt nut holders and the print having a gap due to the thin wall (so it broke when tensioning the belt).  I printed out a second mount this weekend, and turned off "Detect thin walls" in Slic3r and printed that section perfectly.  Live and learn.

I've not had that problem with the "Detect thin Walls" turned on.  If you get me a picture of exactly where it broke I'd be happy to try and beef that section up.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

202 (edited by mloebl 2014-11-10 18:13:34)

wardjr wrote:
mloebl wrote:

I tried bringing the existing mount into tinkercard, but their STL importer seems to bastardize it in spots.  However, I think based on other examples I've seen online, I may be able to use the front lip to mount a servo and arm too.  Ordered a few parts and hope to try something out over the next couple of weeks.

Just a tip I found the hard way.  First print I did off the mount I had a lot of problems with the belt nut holders and the print having a gap due to the thin wall (so it broke when tensioning the belt).  I printed out a second mount this weekend, and turned off "Detect thin walls" in Slic3r and printed that section perfectly.  Live and learn.

I've not had that problem with the "Detect thin Walls" turned on.  If you get me a picture of exactly where it broke I'd be happy to try and beef that section up.

I'll take a pic tonight of the earlier failed reprint tonight, thanks!

EDIT:  I also didn't mean for that post to sound negative, was more a comment for me as I'm learning.  Slic3r settings sometimes lead to interesting results.

-Mike

SD3, Lawsy Carriages with GT2 belts on x axis, BLTouch, Bondtech BMG extruder, E3D v6 via bowden, MIC6 bed with 200W heater w/SSR relay and a RUMBA controller

mloebl wrote:
wardjr wrote:
mloebl wrote:

I'll take a pic tonight of the earlier failed reprint tonight, thanks!

EDIT:  I also didn't mean for that post to sound negative, was more a comment for me as I'm learning.  Slic3r settings sometimes lead to interesting results.

-Mike

I didn't notice any negativity on your part.  I have always wanted to increase the material around the nut holders.  I haven't for fear that it may require longer bolts too reach the belts.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

Here's my failed print where the axis shifted by accident (so ignore the top bit)...  I unfortunately realized I snapped the support off by accident getting it out, but you can see on the right side (and left) of the nut holder that they weren't connected at all where the thin sections started above where the intentional gap is. From that point up the end was an independent piece from the main piece, so approx from the middle of the nut out was not connected.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/VpiApteFEjpfS6tqSHTfrHlOYzA-8IAKM97qRzT4iuWT=w890-h857-no

SD3, Lawsy Carriages with GT2 belts on x axis, BLTouch, Bondtech BMG extruder, E3D v6 via bowden, MIC6 bed with 200W heater w/SSR relay and a RUMBA controller

I don't have a picture but that is not right.  The entire section between the nuts is supposed to remain intact.  What slice settings did you use and (I'm not trying to insult here) is that the best print quality you can achieve?  Looks like some serious calibration is in your future.  I am happy to help any way I can. Even if that means sending you an entire carriage.

wardjr wrote:

I don't have a picture but that is not right.  The entire section between the nuts is supposed to remain intact.  What slice settings did you use and (I'm not trying to insult here) is that the best print quality you can achieve?  Looks like some serious calibration is in your future.  I am happy to help any way I can. Even if that means sending you an entire carriage.

It's the reason I had to reprint the carriage smile  The original one I printed I didn't realize it wasn't supported properly from the small gap, broke, and i noticed the belt screw was being pulled out slowly as the now unsupported plastic began to warp.  I also don't have the E3D head properly shimmed (I've tried to fudge it, but obviously not working.)  Hoping this weekend to get the old mount out, belts properly re-tensioned and the E3D properly shimmed.   If that doesn't work out, I'd definitely take you up on your kind offer to help me out smile    I printed out this adapter, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:276280 , hoping it will work better than the couple washers I have jammed in that sometimes pop up.

-Mike

207 (edited by Stevos758 2014-11-11 16:58:19)

Anybody come up with a clever shim solution yet? I have been using pieces of wire and am getting sick of dropping them. I'd like to see some pics of your setups.

EDIT! Just saw the thing verse link in the last post. Let me know how that works!

Also any of you have a problem with your extruder stepper getting really hot? I think its melting my filament slightly by the drive wheel and causing my extruder to slip.... Then my print fails!

My fan is working fine... Maybe I have my driver to high? Its hard to tune with the bulldog since you can really hear it skip when tuning.

209 (edited by mloebl 2014-11-12 02:11:50)

Stevos758 wrote:

Also any of you have a problem with your extruder stepper getting really hot? I think its melting my filament slightly by the drive wheel and causing my extruder to slip.... Then my print fails!

My fan is working fine... Maybe I have my driver to high? Its hard to tune with the bulldog since you can really hear it skip when tuning.

hmmm I haven't noticed it at all (after a 10min print it's warm, but not hot.)

I better turn it back down then..... : )

Depending on the length of the print my motor can get rather warm.  The gearbox does a pretty good job of keeping the heat from getting to the filament.  You almost need to tune the VREF by speeding it way up if going by ear.  A line on the drive gear can also help visualize the movement.  Makes me wonder though, could we switch (those of us with a Rumba) to like 1/4 steps to tune and then switch back to 1/32?

My gearbox becomes almost unbearable to touch if I need to change filament after a print or make a repair.. Ill grab a thermometer off  the a zon.

213 (edited by Stevos758 2014-11-13 13:22:53)

Turned down my v ref and now it remains cool when printing. I think I had it turned way too high when  I was trying to jam some t glase through it. Now my next challenge is to get the spacer printed or come up with a shim.

Also on a side note I founf my mount to gearbox bolts were loose! Not sure how this happened but if you are having problems this could be it!

214 (edited by mloebl 2014-11-14 17:23:02)

Stevos758 wrote:

Anybody come up with a clever shim solution yet? I have been using pieces of wire and am getting sick of dropping them. I'd like to see some pics of your setups.

EDIT! Just saw the thing verse link in the last post. Let me know how that works!

So I printed it out, but can't for the life of me figure out where it's intended to go smile  Doesn't quite fit where I had expected it to.  Since i had it all apart, I ended up using a couple of washers, and seems much more solid.  I may print at some point a spacer at .1mm that I can insert into the gap instead with some tab so it can be removed easily.   Printer had been squeaking all of a sudden, and finally found one of the y belt mounts was a bit too tight and bolt was low on grease.  Sounds much better now.  Ugh, now the fun of recalibration begins.

Ok so excuse the bad print on the carriage (the original carriage was failing when I was printing it).  Been toying with the idea of adding auto-leveling to wardjr's awesome carriage.  Have a prototype I hope to get running over the next few weeks.  If there's interest (and I can get it working) I'll post it up to thingiverse.  I may drill a couple holes in the carriage to allow for screws so it's not so large and will fit more solidly vs sliding on.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KyXm28O5vx0/VGwTE6x4JzI/AAAAAAAAZB0/-07WbCbpkZM/w916-h1222-no/2014-11-18.jpg

Very nice!!! be careful drilling in that area it splits easily.  That's the voice of experience so I would suggest simply melting the holes or run your bit backwards.

wardjr wrote:

Very nice!!! be careful drilling in that area it splits easily.  That's the voice of experience so I would suggest simply melting the holes or run your bit backwards.

Thanks!  What are the odds at some point if you do another rev of the board, you could add a couple holes?  Thanks!!

If I had time I'd just implement your whole assembly into the design.  Any reasons that you can think of that would prevent it from being on the left side?
Oh, what kind of spacing would you like for those holes?

219 (edited by mloebl 2014-11-21 00:20:15)

wardjr wrote:

If I had time I'd just implement your whole assembly into the design.  Any reasons that you can think of that would prevent it from being on the left side?
Oh, what kind of spacing would you like for those holes?

I wasn't sure about the room with the carriage as I was worried it may be an issue, but now that I look at it, you're right, it could move to that side as the motor has plenty of clearance below the belt.  Let me try the first pass and see if it works, then I can see about reversing it.  I was thinking two holes large enough for M3 bolts (consistent with the rest of  carriage / SD).  Think 25mm distance between them enough to give buffer for the tapered end and enough to hold it in place?

Well if I get some design time I'll add a couple of holes for you and just post it here.  Should only take a few minutes.

wardjr wrote:

Well if I get some design time I'll add a couple of holes for you and just post it here.  Should only take a few minutes.

Thank you!!!

Go this working literally just before going to bed, getting closer!  Probably going to need to change the switch out after reading last night a bit, but good enough for testing:

223 (edited by wardjr 2014-11-21 15:39:32)

Nice work!
Holes as promised smile

Post's attachments

bulldog_wardjr_E3D_rev7support.stl 86.7 kb, 17 downloads since 2014-11-21 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

wardjr wrote:

Nice work!
Holes as promised smile

Looks perfect, thank you!!!!

225 (edited by Stevos758 2014-11-22 05:27:46)

Nice work on the auto leveling!

I took mine all apart today to trouble shoot, Not finding anything. Might be in the E3D. I did model out a new E3D holder for the bulldog. I might try to make on my small CNC or have a buddy do it.

Anyways here are the pics and the model.

http://i.imgur.com/6KB3RXOl.png
http://i.imgur.com/dms231vl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cG2llasl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SUhRuTxl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MPLQJPnl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lYMG7Fsl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vktYoxPl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/anIGydnl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0qjLQlHl.jpg