Re: RepRapDiscount "Bulldog XL" Geared Metal Extruder on a Solidoodle 3!

yeah seeing the nozzle is a good point. i havent had a fan, so i dont really know what im looking for in one   yet, though im starting to see the need for one.

I think as a moving gift to michaudtime I will try to design one up so it's ready by the time he unpacks.  Hmmm.... Wonder how long I have? Better get designing.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Hahah woot woot I'm special LOL, Don't worry you got time if your waiting for that, I get packed out in 2 weeks and wont see my printer until mid April (Ya for Military Movers... NOT)

Solidoodle 3, Bulldog XL Direct Drive, Well Nut for Z axis, borosilicate glass, E3D V6 Hot end, Custom Encloser, Lawsy Carriages with Linear Bearings and Polished 8mm Chrome rods.

I ordered up a couple of these fans and it seems to work fine for the intended purpose.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/35mm-7mm-New-Bl … 0629366620
I also designed up a rear/under mounted fan duct that works with the bulldog_wardjr_E3D_rev7support linear bearing mount for this fan.  The fan came with adhesive on the bottom and seems to stick well so I didn't screw it down.
The fan mount replaces the FBCAR6 and snaps into place the same way.  I found it a little tricky to get it to snap into place as the plate the fan mounts to hits against the rear bearing mount of the carriage.  To alleviate this problem the file have attached has been modified from the fan duct I have installed.  I simply lowered the fan and the duct from the front bearing mount by 2mm.  This should allow a little wiggle room to snap it into the carriage.  The end of the duct needed to be lower anyway.  This should be real close but may need a little clearance filed off depending on your particular assembly.
Print it solid at .3 with 2 perimeters and a 3mm brim.  Just like the carriage itself print it on edge as the support is built in and simply breaks away and cleans up well.  A good flat screwdriver will clean up the support on the upper/inner part where the bearing snaps in.
I will be adding this to Thingiverse and I will get a picture posted up as soon as I get in front of my printer.

Post's attachments

bulldog_wardjr_E3D_rev7support_rear_fan_assembly_rev5_support.stl 33.38 kb, 62 downloads since 2014-03-10 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

looks nice

MolecularConcept wrote:

looks nice

It's a plus that it works well also big_smile

yeah i like the ducted fan this is a great implementation of it

WOW! It looks great I can't wait to get my printer back and print it.  I love how it keeps everything compact. Amazing work!

Solidoodle 3, Bulldog XL Direct Drive, Well Nut for Z axis, borosilicate glass, E3D V6 Hot end, Custom Encloser, Lawsy Carriages with Linear Bearings and Polished 8mm Chrome rods.

How's the move going?  Are you in Alaska yet?

135 (edited by wardjr 2014-03-10 23:49:45)

Here it is installed you can see how tight it is to the carriage.  That made it hard to install so I just added a couple mm's of space.  Mine got a little hot and it warped to my advantage.  smile
http://i.imgur.com/oQUpES2.jpg
I also need to work on the routing of my wires.

hahaha i really dig it now that i see it installed! gotta get my bulldog installed smile

MolecularConcept wrote:

hahaha i really dig it now that i see it installed! gotta get my bulldog installed smile

So what's keeping you from installing your Bulldog?

Is that compatible with the standard lawsy bearing setup? I might have to try that out!

Stevos758 wrote:

Is that compatible with the standard lawsy bearing setup? I might have to try that out!

It is NOT But easily could be changed.   I don't remember how that front bearing holder on Lawsy's attached to the carriage itself.
Screws?

Ill check it out. Ill post the STL if I decide to change it and try it out.

Stevos758 wrote:

Ill check it out. Ill post the STL if I decide to change it and try it out.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Would this work?  I am assuming an E3D and Bulldog for the height.

Post's attachments

bulldog_lawsy_E3D_rev7support_rear_fan_assembly_rev6_support.stl 95.69 kb, 24 downloads since 2014-03-11 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Looks great installed! The move is going pretty good, all of my stuff is shipped and now we are stuck in an empty house with loaner furniture for until the first.

Thank You... You hang in there the move will soon be a thing of the past.  Then you can get back to printing... You must be going nuts.  What do you do with out a printer to work on wink

... I got an international move coming up in ~November.. will be taking an OrdBot in my checked luggage, and the others (including the SD) will be moving in the container 6-8 weeks later...

Yay for printers that you can break down to a flat pack tongue smile

You could just pack all your printers up and send them to me for safekeeping wink

lol ya moves suck, in my spare time when and I have nothing to print I've found a pretty good looking Iron man model, that I've been dissecting and making it printable for a full suit. I'm about half way done with it so I should be done by the time I see my printer again :-)

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I know a bunch of people got these and could use some help smile  I finished installing the Lawsy carriages and wardjr's carriage for the BulldogXL in addition to switching to an E3D extruder (that was a busy afternoon of deconstruction/reconstruction.)

Just curious what settings people are using for M201 and M203 especially for the Extruder values?  Also what about any Slic3r tweaks (coming from the stock SD3 carriages and extruder.)  I am noticing when I print a single wall square to test wall thickness, it's retracting waaay too much so misses quite a bit every time it changes levels.  If I turn off retract on level change in Slic3r, I notice it seems to no longer miss on the first few mm of that new level, but then I get a bit extra extrusion now.

Thanks!

SD3, Lawsy Carriages with GT2 belts on x axis, BLTouch, Bondtech BMG extruder, E3D v6 via bowden, MIC6 bed with 200W heater w/SSR relay and a RUMBA controller

149 (edited by wardjr 2014-04-21 15:04:10)

As far as extruder steps/mm if you are at 1/16 steps it should be real close to 500 If I recall I ended up at like 498.  If you have a 1/32 than double that number.
I run a .60 nozzle but other than that this is what I ran with the .40
http://i.imgur.com/p7cZR4b.png

I have also found that the bulldog is so powerful that I can decrease my extrusion width for first layer to roughly half of the nozzle diameter.  Then run the nozzle for first layer virtually on the glass.  This leaves me with a first layer printed width of roughly double the nozzle diameter.  It is almost transparent and adhesion is near perfect every time.  I have the first layer height set the same as the layer height, not larger like it was from the factory.  In my case for .3 I use .2963

http://i.imgur.com/rKA8pG6.png

Then this is the start code I have had the most consistent results with.

G21; set mm units
G28 ;home all axis
G90; set absolute coordinates
G92 E0; reset extruder distance
M104 S245; set extruder temp and start heating
G1 Z5 F300 ;move platform down 5mm
G1 X193 Y187 F3000 ; move to back right corner
M109 S245; wait for extruder temp to be reached
G1 Z[first_layer_height] F200 ;move platform close to nozzle
G1 E7; extrude anchor
G1 F3000; center print head
G92 E0; reset extrusion distance

Thanks!!!

SD3, Lawsy Carriages with GT2 belts on x axis, BLTouch, Bondtech BMG extruder, E3D v6 via bowden, MIC6 bed with 200W heater w/SSR relay and a RUMBA controller