1 (edited by macmub 2012-11-01 02:59:47)

Topic: Replicator 2

As far as I know Sam used to work for them so I have no idea how this topic will go over with some of you locals but I can't help but be impressed by the new replicator, also noticed nobody has mentioned it here.

Its not in the same price bracket as our solidoodle but looks a great piece of hardware.

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html

You would think they would increase that print bed size more than they have, IMO.

And it has .1mm layers out of the box!

Re: Replicator 2

looks nice but at nearly 4 times the price of a SD2 .. it would want to be,
i see greed, i cant imagine why it would cost much more than a few hundred bucks more.

It does go to show what a bargain SD2 is..

3 (edited by ysb 2012-11-01 13:32:55)

the replicator 2 is "the printer of shame" since makerbot decide to go closed source. ...

there is nothing special on this printer that we cant do with the solidoodle..

whole story here :
first part http://www.soliforum.com/topic/202/the- … other-way/
second part in the thingverse-gate http://www.soliforum.com/topic/205/thin … ng-prints/

Ah thanks, fifth realise the topic was there. Interesting stuff

I think it's funny how upset everyone is for someone to go closed source, yet here we are on a closed source printer forum happily printing away. 

It's harder to make money in open source.  I never begrudge anyone the ability to become rich, because I one day hope to join them.

the problem is not to be closed sourced... the problem is to claim to be open source, take all the idea you want... THEN decide to be closed source...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BHthBP2FUW8/UFr3159Z6kI/AAAAAAAABgw/CN5ko9qgscc/s1600/reprap_comic_makerbot_closed_source.png

You could say that Makerbot finally caught up with Solidoodle with their steel frame smile

They've also removed the heated bed and recommend only PLA so they don't have to support those users who can't get huge ABS prints to work without an enclosed space (they haven't caught up to Solidoodle there).  Their premium comes from a more polished build and more polished, simple user experience.  It is good for the newbie in the way the Solidoodle isn't, with their own software, control panel, SD reader, etc. all of which comes with a large support department.  However they are now charging extra for that support so you can't figure that into the price of the printer.  It does sound like if you get a Replicator 2 you can't expect the kind of generosity Solidoodle has shown in shipping parts unless you paid for the plan.

The way I look at it is this. 

It "might" have some better features (bigger build area, simpler out of the box experience).  But you're definately giving up a few things (heated bed, ability to print ABS).  The big thing though is even if it is better is it 1400 dollars better?  Because that's about the difference in costs.  Personally I think before I got the Replicator 2, I would probably buy three Solidoodles and do every upgrade out there to at least one.

I find it impressive looking.

but otherwise I don't think it's technically better than the solidoodle, (which is about 66/75% cheaper (depending on model).

in fact in some ways it's technically worse...

Also the "Now with .1mm layers!" that printers often tout as a new, upgraded feature.  They all can do that already, it's just a matter of slicing profiles.  It just means they've worked out a profile that they are confident in.  The users will most likely have already been doing it themselves.   If you want your printer to be plug and play with no need to understand or change any settings, then an official .1mm profile really is a new feature.

It is definitely more refined looking.  And their stated goal of getting into the hands of people like me who design for a living.  I could much more easily get my company to put that on my desktop than put a SD2 on my desktop since it looks like a polished piece of equipment.  That goes a long way to the uninformed who are signing the PO.  For my purposes of printing in my home.  I was eyeballing the previous makerbot and trying to justify the $2000 price tag and just stumbled across solidoodle.  The price point for solidoodle made it a no brainer for me, and I quickly ordered one. 

One day in the not too distant future there are going to be 3d printers in the office of every engineering department, and makerbot is positioning themselves to be that printer.  Once they prove the market and start making money at it, 3d systems won't be far behind, with a better product and much more money behind it.  There is a window of opportunity to make money in this new marketplace, I can't fault Makerbot for jumping on it, even if it's a little immoral to cut everyone out of the process that has contributed thus far. 

Apple is the richest company in the world by following a very similar business model.  Take other peoples ideas and market them better than anyone else.

IanJohnson wrote:

Also the "Now with .1mm layers!" that printers often tout as a new, upgraded feature.  They all can do that already, it's just a matter of slicing profiles.  It just means they've worked out a profile that they are confident in.  The users will most likely have already been doing it themselves.   If you want your printer to be plug and play with no need to understand or change any settings, then an official .1mm profile really is a new feature.

Ian,  That was one of the things that really annoyed me about their announcement video too.  Their CEO kept saying that they can print at 100 microns.  I'll have to go back and look but he might have said that it was better than any other printer.  I do know he said that it was good enough print to not need additional finishing.  At the time I wasn't aware of what a micron was.  Well, I was surprised when I found out that 100 microns == .1mm, the same as people are printing with the Solidoodle.

They won't be able to base their claim of being the best printer only on doing .1mm layers.  It will have to do .1mm better than the other printers.  This means no visible Z wobble, no inconsistency in Z stepping, no backlash for perfect dimensional accuracy, no moire patterns.  Just absolutely straight, perfectly aligned perimeters.  You almost need to see the prints in person, or macro closeups to judge this.  They look great from a distance, but I haven't seen any real detailed closeup photos.