Topic: The competition is going the other way

http://m.cnet.com/news/makerbot-revamps … e/57516381

Interesting development. To me there are two extremely important features that need to be addressed that these higher end models are missing. First, and I am well aware of the mechanical difficulties, but the beds have to get bigger. For $2000, I want a 12x12 bed. The other key feature has to be soluable support material. This, I don't understand at all why it's not being addressed. With dual extruders, this needs to be mastered. I have to imagine most people here would spend 2000 on those features, but for most of us hackers 4x as much for a slightly larger bed and marginally more resolution seems like a lot. I am curious what everyone else thinks. Having said all of that, I think I still want to at least to try it and see.

Re: The competition is going the other way

I would definitely expect soluble support at that price.  And the longer but not wider bed is a bit of a let down.  I like the solidoodles square print platform, but then again I guess it depends on the consumer and their needs.. x)

I will say that I do like the intuitiveness of the software they introduced.  Just the ability to set things up, change dimensions, slice, and print all in one program.

I can't post links but you can Google Makerware to check it out. smile

4 (edited by jooshs 2012-09-20 01:55:06)

I agree better software is an improvement worth a little extra. However, I feel that with our community of devoted members adding their knowledge, we could pretty quickly make a very intuitive and efficient package pretty quickly. The work being done by Ian, Lawsy, and others is invaluable. The expertise and resources this community has could and are on there way to developing that right now with no incentive other than improving theirs' and others' end user experience. I think Solidoodle is sorting getting away way with crowd sourcing their software development for free. It is actually a pretty shrewd and effective way to give the users what they want, which I believe is impressive. Maybe a little bonus incentive to those that are doing all this pro bono development could lead to a fully integrated and end product that rivals the professional expensive packages. It seems that some of the price of the upper tier printers has to have some proprietary software development built in.

I did check out the maker software too. Pretty impressive!

It's interesting to point out that their design has evolved to include some Solidoodle features like the three screw bed leveling and metal frame construction.

i dont think their software is worth that much extra either maybe 50 bucks,have you guys looked at file2part? Coincidence that Bri was a backer?

7 (edited by ysb 2012-09-20 13:15:21)

shady move on thingiverse from makerbot industrie?

new TOS :

section 3.2:
"You agree to irrevocably waive (and cause to be waived) any claims and
assertions of moral rights or attribution with respect to your User
Content."

Basicly steals your right to say 'I made/designed this, this is mine.'

occupy thingiverse movement protestation :
http://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/5f/9c/96/13/10/occupy_preview_tinycard.jpg
http://josefprusa.cz/open-hardware-meaning /
http://reddit.com/r/Reprap/comments/106 … sef_prusa/

new replicator 2 from makerbot
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BHthBP2FUW8/UFr3159Z6kI/AAAAAAAABgw/CN5ko9qgscc/s1600/reprap_comic_makerbot_closed_source.png

I'm not going to lie, that new machine looks very impressive.  It's 4X the cost of what we have but the increased build platform and resolution have me drooling. 

I think the addition of a retail store is a sneaky smart move.  This one I could see sitting in engineering offices around the world and if the software is really that easy to use it could be a game changer. 

I love to see the industry moving forward though.  By the time it's mainstream we'll all be the experts.

It doesn't really have increased resolution.  The Solidoodle easily prints at .1mm.  It might be more difficult if your aluminum bed is warped, but that can be corrected with a glass plate.

See here - http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/201 … -printing/

By the way, Solidoodle sent me a new Z motor with the rod directly attached (as currently shipping printers have) and it corrected the Z wobble issue you see in that blog post.

At 3 grand I don't think it's worth an extra six inches in width. I know it is for a more 'professional' target group, but I think most engineers and the likes view 3d printing in our community as a temporary oddity. The ones I have spoken with to try and start some local business and even after showing off some of the better prints were hardly impressed. They know they can afford the higher res prints from companies with the industrial grade printers, and would rather pay-to-play rather than drop the money for one of those machines.

The S2 is still, bar none, the best deal out there. And that's handy because if they do release all of the parts, etc, no one could take them out of business because they're making the things so damn cheap.

That was nice of them.  If they are listening, are they extending the same offer to others?  Ian, have you got your case and door yet?

I don't have a case and door yet.

If you have the ABS coupler, it wouldn't hurt to ask for the new Z rod, especially yours is noticeably wobbly.

I suspect they may have a dilemma with the cases and doors.  Their stock may be such that if they send out all the cases that are owed to printers already shipped, they will run out before they reach the end of the backlog and have to either delay shipping printers that are already long delayed, or ship without cases like the initial orders.

I'm not too concerned. I'm toying with the idea of making acrylic side and top panels held on with magnets so I can easily see into the printer when it's closed.  I would still need the door, however.

Mine has a case and a door, but I only had the case on one time since I got it.  The filament rubs against the top of the case and I was already having trouble with the spool tangling so I never use it.  The door is nice but without the case it's serving no purpose.

IanJohnson wrote:

I'm not too concerned. I'm toying with the idea of making acrylic side and top panels held on with magnets so I can easily see into the printer when it's closed.  I would still need the door, however.

I've put acrylic sides on and it helps keep the heat it, mine are all held on with magnets. 

I also didn't put any extension on my top cover, so the filament does in fact rub, but it also doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

IanJohnson wrote:

I don't have a case and door yet.

If you have the ABS coupler, it wouldn't hurt to ask for the new Z rod, especially yours is noticeably wobbly.

I suspect they may have a dilemma with the cases and doors.  Their stock may be such that if they send out all the cases that are owed to printers already shipped, they will run out before they reach the end of the backlog and have to either delay shipping printers that are already long delayed, or ship without cases like the initial orders.

We'll be shipping yours shortly.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.