Topic: Replacing the Z screw with finer pitch on a SD3

Hey guys, I have been having some pretty significant Z banding lately and am looking at replacing my Z screw with either a much finer pitch (M3 or similar) or a proper ball screw if I can snag one from my boss for cheap enough. However, all the guides and tutorials for replacing the Z screw are built around the older Z carriage with the wooden platform. Mine is the metal one and the threaded nut seems to be a part of the assembly itself. I was wondering if anybody had any experience in changing the screw out on one of these aluminum jobbies.

Thanks!

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

Re: Replacing the Z screw with finer pitch on a SD3

Hi Baron, here is the link for a way to remove the nut on the aluminum platform ---> http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2990/bos … -consumer/

I changed mine to an M5 and after much hair pulling it is working well.  I left the PEM nut in place as the M5 passes right through it with no problem.

I may change to an M3 rod in the future.

Thank you, that's good info. I have been tuning a bit and found that getting my steps per mm on the extruder better has drastically improved my z banding issue, but it is still there. I happen to work by a large industrial park, so I can get M3 rods and the like locally without too much trouble.

In the meantime, I am trying the well nut trick. Printed this retainer plate: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:100053 and picked up some 4-40x1/2" socketed cap screws. Went together without too much trouble. Going to print a new test print and, if the difference is really noticeable (it has been from my smaller improvements) I will post pictures. Maybe I won't have to take this whole thing apart.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

M5 is 5mm, which means it's the same diameter as the motor shaft. 

The original 5/16" screw that comes with the SD is about 8mm in diameter, so I wouldn't go down to an M5.  I would look for something a bit more substantial, like a M8

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

TheBaron wrote:

Hey guys, I have been having some pretty significant Z banding lately and am looking at replacing my Z screw with either a much finer pitch (M3 or similar) or a proper ball screw if I can snag one from my boss for cheap enough. However, all the guides and tutorials for replacing the Z screw are built around the older Z carriage with the wooden platform. Mine is the metal one and the threaded nut seems to be a part of the assembly itself. I was wondering if anybody had any experience in changing the screw out on one of these aluminum jobbies.

Thanks!

Aside from the PEM nut, the aluminium bed has the same procedures for removing it as the wooden bed. I think someone already posted a link to the PEM nut removal guide. The mounting holes around the Hole for the threaded rod are different so you will need to choose a replacement nut hugger accordingly. Adrian posted an M5 nut hugger for the aluminium bed. There is also the slopnut that has options for m5, m3, and the original 5/16". 

On a side note, this probably didnt need its own thread. This topic has been discussed to exhaustion. I this what we do need is a sticky in the hacks and mods that lists all previous z-axis mods.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Yeah, I found a lot of Z axis mod stuff, but I couldn't find something that specifically said how to deal with the aluminum bed. Everything seemed to involve the old school wooden bed.

TheBaron wrote:

Yeah, I found a lot of Z axis mod stuff, but I couldn't find something that specifically said how to deal with the aluminum bed. Everything seemed to involve the old school wooden bed.

If you have the equipment, one thing you could try would be to use a 5/16 brass bolt as an adapter.  Just drill and tap a hole down the middle to accept the new rod.  This is what I would have done for my M3 if it weren't late at night (with stores closed) when I did my mod.

tealvince wrote:
TheBaron wrote:

If you have the equipment, one thing you could try would be to use a 5/16 brass bolt as an adapter.  Just drill and tap a hole down the middle to accept the new rod.  This is what I would have done for my M3 if it weren't late at night (with stores closed) when I did my mod.

M3 ?!?!  Seriously?  You used a M3 for your Z Screw?

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=3171&download=0

Post's attachments

Z Screw M3.jpg 83.14 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

10 (edited by tealvince 2013-08-27 14:25:39)

pirvan wrote:

Seriously?  You used a M3 for your Z Screw?

Absolutely.  My original goal was to push the envelope, with the premise that going to as fine a thread as possible would be best at eliminating banding, an effect demonstrated previously on other platforms.   I ordered a stainless steel M3 rod, half expecting to be too flexible, but I found it to be a lot stiffer than I thought and more than adequate for the job.  In fact, since the bed on the Solidoodle is kept in alignment with the two solid Z rails, the problem with an M8 or the standard 5/16-18 rod is that they are *too* stiff, which magnifies any alignment or straightness issues, exacerbating banding.

There are a bunch of other threads where folks are using M5 or M3 z-rods with great success.  I like the M3 because the thread finer (.5mm vs .8mm).  It made all my banding issues go completely away with one straightforward mod.... done.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2154/fix … aded-zrod/

It made all my banding issues go completely away with one straightforward mod.... done.

this !!

What about splitting the difference and using an M5 rod with .50 pitch? McMaster has 1 meter lengths for $30.