Topic: some questions

Well my printer is here and setup and I've done my first test print which was a little test cube

Now from the printing it looks as if the first 4 layers are a bit squashed compared to the rest

I tried to do my second print which was a bit more adventurous which was a 2.5" drive adapter, first mistake was its slightly longer than the print bed but the main issue again seems to be squashinf the first layer, I also noticed that whilst the left side of the print bed was sqaushed the right side wasn't looking like it was touching so I'm assuming its all unlevel..

Is there a link somewhere for leveling the bed etc?

And if there's any tips anyone has, please let me know smile

2 (edited by jooshs 2012-10-20 22:43:45)

Re: some questions

Check out Ian's blog on leveling the bed with his dial indicator mount. You don't need the dial indicator to get it close enough, but instead can skid a piece of paper underneath the nozzle and it is adjusted to the right Z height and level when it barely grabs the paper at all 4 corners of the bed.

http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/

Start by getting the front level and then the back should just need to go up and down to finish leveling. You can make life much easier by printing out these thumbscrews to attach to the leveling screws and adjust from underneath the bed.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/242/thum … m-beneath/

Your problem sounds exactly like a bed leveling and z height adjustment issue. You should be good to go after these fixes.

Let me know how the adapter goes. I have a ssd on the way and thought about trying to print one too. If it works well, can you share your stl?

Will check it out and will do the thumbscrews once level smile

I'm in the process of building a new pc and brought an ssd but haven't got an adapter so thought it would be a useful test smile The adapter that I tried using is one I pulled from thingiverse but it seems to be too big for the print bed unless its the skirt which would be why its too big but if so then it would be on the limits without

Can you rotate it 45 degrees an make it fit better?

Will give it a go and see, is there an option in skien to do this or am I better off using something else?

I think if you are slicing with sf you need to use Replicator G to reorient it... If you use Slic3r you can orient it there... I'm pretty sure netfabb may have an option to do it as well...

I'll look into slic3r, i think ive put all the settings right for it heh

jooshs wrote:

Check out Ian's blog on leveling the bed with his dial indicator mount. You don't need the dial indicator to get it close enough, but instead can skid a piece of paper underneath the nozzle and it is adjusted to the right Z height and level when it barely grabs the paper at all 4 corners of the bed.

Is there anything a bit more detailed showing what to do here? do i raise the bed all the way up to the extruder then put the extruder to each corner and slide a piece of paper under it till it barely touches? i feel like im missing something heh smile

Here is the wiki page on bed leveling: http://wiki.solidoodle.com/leveling-the-print-bed

right i think ive leveled it all out, did a test cube again which came out better than the first

now i tried using slic3r formy hdd caddy, gone through and set it all upto what seems correct (and comparing it with ians blog)

in pronterface it shows the print in the centre (saw one of the posts that said what to change to do that)

now the print is basically full length of the bed so i turned off skirt in slic3r, now when i hit print, the extruder homed but when it came to print i started in the wrong position and started printing outside of the bed and seem to have the bed higher that the test cube and just...printed all wrong,

ive set the bed size to 150x150 and the print centre is 0x0 with 0 in the z offset...but what am i doing wrong with this? i can run it through skienforge but it does take alot of time

Did you upgrade the firmware? This is necessary for the printer to get the coordinates right.

Aha thats more than likely where the issue is then, i will give it ago and hopefully it will sort my issue out

I was looking at using repetier but it doesnt load on my xp machine for some reason which is why i didnt persue that route

Ok got slic3r working with pronterface now

was about halfway through a print when it decided to shift about 2cm on a new layer, is there any reason for this and anyway to save a print from this?

What direction did it shift?  Sometimes turning off the motors and sliding it by hand a few times will work out the kink.  If not, your belt tension might need to be adjusted if it is too tight or uneven.

towards the front and to the right about 1cm, did it about 50 layers in on the last print and 3 layers on a different model

Well taking the same model and running it through skeinforge results in a completed print

so im guessing its something to do with slic3r, there was someone in the irc chat yesterday (forgot the name sad ) who had exactly the same issue from using slic3r

I dont know where i need to look to get that sorted but i'll have to stick with skeinforge for now, just need to improve the print

slic3r didn't like models with "problems"... skinforge is more tolerant...

so "problems" could be the cause of the layer shift

i will try Ian's method that he put in his blog of download, clean with netfabb,orient it in Replicator G and maybe ill try slic3r again

right so i can get slic3r to print now but its not producing very good prints but if i use skeinforge everything is good

so im going to focus on skeinforge for now, i have two main issues

the first one is blobs on some layer edges

but the other thing is, is it possible to do a skirt in skeinforge?  at the moment when it does its first layer it doesn't start flowing till about halfway through

Kamatari wrote:

right so i can get slic3r to print now but its not producing very good prints but if i use skeinforge everything is good

so im going to focus on skeinforge for now, i have two main issues

the first one is blobs on some layer edges

but the other thing is, is it possible to do a skirt in skeinforge?  at the moment when it does its first layer it doesn't start flowing till about halfway through

I do not think it does. It may be an option on later versions of skeinforge.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

found the option in the latest version of skeinforge, i think ive done this right (havent tested the print yet) but i should be fine just copying the solidoodle profile into the profiles of the new version of skeinforge?

Kamatari wrote:

found the option in the latest version of skeinforge, i think ive done this right (havent tested the print yet) but i should be fine just copying the solidoodle profile into the profiles of the new version of skeinforge?

Should work. We haven't officially upgraded to the new skeinforge because of some "strange" issues with its functionality. Generally, our staff prefers older versions.

The newest Skeinforge does volumetric extrusion like Slic3r.  That is, it calculates flow based on the filament diameter.  Those settings are under dimension, and work opposite of the Extrusion Multiplier in Slic3r.  It's called Filament Packing Density.   I have mine set to 1.18, but YMMV.  In the speed tab, set flow rate to the same number you are using for feed rate.

IanJohnson wrote:

The newest Skeinforge does volumetric extrusion like Slic3r.  That is, it calculates flow based on the filament diameter.  Those settings are under dimension, and work opposite of the Extrusion Multiplier in Slic3r.  It's called Filament Packing Density.   I have mine set to 1.18, but YMMV.  In the speed tab, set flow rate to the same number you are using for feed rate.

So you like it? We really ought to upgrade, I suppose.

Under the dimensions tab there is filament diameter (just noticed it) which this was not in the older version? default looks like its set to 2.8 but should i be changing this to 1.75?