1 (edited by jooshs 2012-09-29 05:12:45)

Topic: Thumbscrew to level bed from beneath

I will be making a longer post in a little bit of the day I had with my Solidoodle... I originally intended to just print some thumbscrews for leveling the bed from beneath, but they wouldn't print well with my setup.  Therefore, I spent an entire day catching up on Solidoodle upgrades just so I could make the print successfully.  Anyhow, here are the thumbscrews I made.  I just dropped some super glue into the hole and the screw self threads in 5 mm, adhered, and now is a functioning thumbscrew!  Be quick about threading it in and maybe test your fit first so it does not get stuck only threaded in one time.  Perfect for those who are trying glass, granite, granite tile or whatever to put on the bed, which I highly recommend.

Also, I am sure it has been answered, but how do you make the picture visible instead of having to click on a link?

Post's attachments

thumbscrew.jpg
thumbscrew.jpg 130.73 kb, 12 downloads since 2012-09-29 

thumbscrew.STL 2.05 mb, 1018 downloads since 2012-09-29 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Thumbscrew to level bed from beneath

i'm interested in using a glass plate or granite tile inplace of the aluminum but i have a few questions. how do you zero out the printing table does the abd adhere well to the glass or the tile?

3 (edited by jooshs 2012-09-29 05:50:41)

So I started today off and just wanted to do a simple print, but also wanted to start experimenting with the glass bed.  I used it for just one or two prints and was very impressed with how well the abs stuck and how easy it was to get off right after a print.  The only thing I didn't like was that I couldn't level the bed from above anymore.  So I made up a thumbscrew in SW and tried to print it.  The way it was trying to print, even with cooling on from Slic3r wasn't happening.  I have been using two little usb fans on the board and manually holding one for the hard parts of intricate prints.  These both crapped out on me several times, so I decided to take the plunge today and go all out on upgrading the Solidoodle.  I am still waiting on the SD card reader and display, but that will be another week. 

Lawsy's email this morning really motivated me, so I decided to print the cooling fan and mount from him and Ian, I reprinted the bracket for the z wobble with a little tighter tolerance, I added the glass bed, I made these thumb screws, and I got sick of waiting for my case and door smile so I got some pieces of acrylic with magnets to trap a little of the heat and keep my ac from blowing across the bed.

Post's attachments

stuff.jpg 131.31 kb, 5 downloads since 2012-09-29 

4 (edited by IanJohnson 2012-09-29 05:57:48)

Manx, you might need a longer Z offset screw with a glass bed.  It will need to be able to go down an extra 2-3mm to hit the limit switch before the glass bumps the nozzle, and 10mm more to account for the thickness of granite.  I had an extra that was long enough for granite, but it was getting into the unthreaded section of the screw.  Unfortunately hardware stores here hardly stock anything in M3, and whatever they have is short.  I'm thinking it would be useful to see if I can mail order a bunch of M3 screws in assorted lengths  just to make sure I have something handy.

For glass, I use small binder clips to hold it to the aluminum.  I also use them as handles for the glass when it is still hot.  I found some at staples that have rubber coating on the handles so you can still touch them when they are hot.  I only did one small print so far with the granite.  I put a large clip on one side.  It is heavy enough, it doesn't need much help staying put.  If you are doing a very large print, you will need to be careful about the clips getting in the way.  For the back right corner, I set the clip closer to the center so the nozzle doesn't hit it when it homes.

5 (edited by IanJohnson 2012-09-29 06:02:50)

I am really glad we have a community going, because items keep getting checked off my to do list without me needing to do it.  It was a little lonely in the S1 days, it was mostly just me and Tony.

Did you add the fan on the case?  Lawsy made his for 30s but I have 40s.

I was trying to think of how to do the thumbscrews with locking nuts or something, so it wouldn't be permanently attached, but I think the glue would be fine.  With just a dab, it shouldn't be hard to break the bond if you needed to get the screw out for some reason.  I'll try printing them tomorrow.

I want to do the sides as well, but I keep thinking I want to make it too complicated, with shallow holes to account for the various nuts and screws that poke out along the frame.

I got threaded rod. I've run into so many situations where I need longer or custom pieces of small diameter screws, so now I just keep a couple of everything below a 1/4 inch and m6.  Binder clips have worked well for me also.  I am impressed with how much all these improvements keep improving the prints. I would think at some point soon we are going to close in on having maxed out the full capabilities of this machine.

Ian, let me know if you like the granite more or less than the glass and or why. Also, I melted the fan a little bit once when I wasn't running it. I'm wondering if it needs to be running that close to the hot end with that design. What actually happened was the part holding the magnet in loosened up and the magnet popped out. How bout threaded magnets? They would e very useful with abs.

Ya, the community is fantastic!  I used the 40mm fan cause that was all that radioshack had... I used a couple of old rc servo y harnasses and a 12 volt adapter to power both of them but I can have one run and not the other or both together very easily...  I'll put up the alternate stl for the electronics cover here as well. 

It is easy enough to break the bond to with just a little glue and it doesn't take much... How do I know you ask?  Because I made the thumbscrews way too tall at first and they banged into the bottom... These are much shorter and don't shrink the print size...

One more comment would be that it is easier to so self thread the screw by using the hex driver in the top of the screw at the same time.

take two nuts put them on the screw, then back the top one off while holding the other..

Jam them together.  I thought about doing this, with a thumb nut similar to the one that hold the filament tight.

The thumbscrews work really well.  You can make fine adjustments without pushing or pulling on the bed, and watch the readout on the Dial Indicator.  If using paper, this lets you park the nozzle right on the screw since you don't need to make room for the hex driver.  I did one set in ABS before deciding to go with the fancy translucent green.  It wasn't hard to break the bond on the superglue to get them off.

I think Solidoodle should adopt these as standard.  It makes leveling much easier, and no tool required.  Now to work out a thumbwheel for the Z offset...

http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_5401.jpg

Ian, I am already on that... I will share it later today... I also am designing the setup in a way so that you do not have to have a longer screw.

12 (edited by AgentOrange 2012-10-14 08:04:44)

I also switched to a glass plate (2mm framing glass), but couldn't use these thumbscrews. because I use Lawsy's end gcode (which lowers the bed to the bottom when done printing) and I didn't want to reduce my Z height more than I had to (you never know when you need it). So I bought 6x M4 hex nuts, put two on each threaded end, held the top one in place and  fastened the bottom one. Then I made functional, yet ugly thumb screws that fit on the bottom M4 nut.

My Z-screw was long enough, so I didn't have to replace it. I did break my first glass plate within minutes, because the two center screws (I think they hold the thermistor?) were sticking out ever so slightly and the first time I hit the glass by accident it shattered. I've grinded down the screws somewhat (they wouldnt budge when I tried reseating them) and now it seems to be working just fine.

http://i.imgur.com/DTWV1.jpg

AgentOrange wrote:

I also switched to a glass plate (2mm framing glass), but couldn't use these thumbscrews. because I use Lawsy's end gcode (which lowers the bed to the bottom when done printing) and I didn't want to reduce my Z height more than I had to (you never know when you need it). So I bought 6x M4 hex nuts, put two on each threaded end, held the top one in place and  fastened the bottom one. Then I made functional, yet ugly thumb screws that fit on the bottom M4 nut.

My Z-screw was long enough, so I didn't have to replace it. I did break my first glass plate within minutes, because the two center screws (I think they hold the thermistor?) were sticking out ever so slightly and the first time I hit the glass by accident it shattered. I've grinded down the screws somewhat (they wouldnt budge when I tried reseating them) and now it seems to be working just fine.

http://i.imgur.com/DTWV1.jpg

Very nice work.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Back to the original topic, bed leveling.

I tried to print a large object (in the X/Y sense) and almost immediately, some of the initial layers began to come off.  I assumed that it was time to level the bed, that the areas that had poor adhesion were lower than the areas where the layers stuck well.

I printed Ian's dial indicator holder and three thumbscrews and tried to level the bed.  I chose four points 100 mm apart in both the X and Y scales.  While I can get the two points nearest me to be within perhaps 0.003 inches, along the back, the best I can do is 0.010 across 100 mm of travel.  Clearly the bed plate is warped somewhat.

Does anyone know how much tolerance there is?  That is, is 0.010" across the back a real problem or nothing to worry about?

Jon can you put a straight edge or level across the bed?  It will at least confirm wether or not you bed is warped... Not sure of the intended tolerances, but that wouldn't make a huge difference, but isn't great. Regardless, going with a glass plate should pretty much solve this for you.  The glass plate has been very successful for almost all of us.  It is very easy to get good adhesion, easy to swap plates without cooling the bed down, and easy to get the bed level while being flat.

Trying to see a gap of 0.010 under a straight edge is not easy.  When I put the straight edge from near left to far left, I can put a piece of paper under the straight edge and move it almost completely from front to back, so there are "lips" on the front and back edge.  That is the only thing that I can detect using your suggestion. In particular, I cannot detect the 0.010 problems across the back.

I bumped my bed temperature up from 85 to 95, and that has allowed me to get larger pieces to stick, although I believe that I am relying on the adhesion on the front, along with the structural integrity of the piece, to keep everything in place.  It looks as if the back of the parts is not sticking very well.

I'm not sure what the spec is here.  I'm also not clear whether Solidoodle tests their beds prior to shipping. I could imagine at least two different tests. In one, you would attempt to print a 125 mm x 125 mm plate, to verify that filament sticks properly across the entire bed.  In the other, you would print a grid of 20 mm x 20 mm plates all across the surface, to see if some of them fail to adhere.

jon_bondy wrote:

Trying to see a gap of 0.010 under a straight edge is not easy.  When I put the straight edge from near left to far left, I can put a piece of paper under the straight edge and move it almost completely from front to back, so there are "lips" on the front and back edge..

A gap of 0.010 should be very detectable.  You can see gaps down to 0.001 inch or less with a straight edge - the trick is in using a bright light behind the straight edge.

Paper is typically 0.003" thick , which is coincidentally about the thickness of a human hair, but this can vary from under 0.002" thick to over 0.004" thick depending on the exact paper being used.  I often use a piece of paper to set the tool height on milling machines or lathes.  I use a micrometer to measure the thickness of the paper.  Be careful in using calipers - even seasoned machinists avoid using calipers when accuracy greater than 0.005" is required. Always use a micrometer when you need to measure accurately.

You can also buy an inexpensive set of feeler gauges at the local auto parts store or Harbor Freight. The Harbor Freight part number is 32214 and costs $3.99.  I tried posting a direct link, but I guess I don't have enough posts to do that quite yet.  The feeler gauges will let you quantify the gap at different points of the bed much easier.

Titanium

Josh, could you post the thumbscrews to Thingiverse?  So many people ask for them, it would be an easy place to point them.

Thats is where I looked for them first then finally after failing to find them had to post and ask.  Has anyone run into problems with them hitting the bottom of the case on tall prints?  They seem fairly long/tall.

20 (edited by HelmutK 2012-12-05 19:10:52)

kylekesler wrote:

Thats is where I looked for them first then finally after failing to find them had to post and ask.  Has anyone run into problems with them hitting the bottom of the case on tall prints?  They seem fairly long/tall.

Yes, the printed bed adjusting screws limit my total Z height to about 145mm. Not sure I will ever need that much height. If I do I will get the SD3 then.  wink

21 (edited by jooshs 2012-12-05 20:20:48)

Yes I will post tonight... I am also doing a write up on replacing the z axis since mine finally totally failed. I will include an install procedure for the z axis backlash nut from Kendall also. Fancy timing, since I am in the middle of printing out all the parts for the RObot and still have 25 hours worth of printing needed this week!  Guess my idea of waiting to replace the axis till it failed was not such a good one. smile

I ended up drilling all the way through the thumbs screws so that they would screw on far enough to not limit the z height. I will put a hole all the way through it so people don't have to drill it.

I took a belt sander to mine so that they were not too tall!

Ok... I adjusted the stl to make it a tiny bit larger hole for the screw and also cut the hole all the way through so that it does not reduce the print height area if you screw the thumb screw all the way on.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:36878

Post's attachments

Final Thumbscrew.STL 430.55 kb, 155 downloads since 2012-12-06 

thank for the new stl joosh. I've updated the wiki to point to the thingiverse link.

AgentOrange wrote:

I also switched to a glass plate (2mm framing glass), but couldn't use these thumbscrews. because I use Lawsy's end gcode (which lowers the bed to the bottom when done printing) ... Then I made functional, yet ugly thumb screws that fit on the bottom M4 nut.

Any chance of getting the STL for these? I personally like them better than the other thumbscrew