76 (edited by Shotline 2013-08-10 04:17:56)

Re: Solidoodle2-marlin firmware update thread

lawsy wrote:

Big user friendly update!

Adrian has kindly prepared PC and Mac versions of the latest Arduino which are compatible with the Sanguinololu boards.

From the readme:

Arduino0022 is no longer needed. A preprepared version of Arduino 1.0.5 has been setup by ozadr1an. It features the required changes needed for the Sanguinololu electronics to work with versions of Arduino beyond 0022. Official Arduino download is available, but you will need to move the files from the Add-ons folder of this repository for the firmware to successfully compile and upload:

-http://arduino.cc/hu/Main/Software

Preprepared PC version:

-http://www.mediafire.com/download/leatx … indows.zip
-https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7Ieezi … UM2Rk02ajQ

Simply unzip into a folder of your choice.

Preprepared Mac version:

-http://www.mediafire.com/download/9z357 … macosx.zip
-https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7Ieezi … FZfb0QwZ0U

This has cut a whole bunch of steps out of preparing the Arduino IDE for firmware editing.

All credit to Adrian for creating and Ian Johnson for testing.

I tried to update with this version of Arduino IDE but kept getting the sync error.  I had to use 0022 to get it to work.  I have  a 644p board.

Shotline wrote:

I tried to update with this version of Arduino IDE but kept getting the sync error.  I had to use 0022 to get it to work.  I have  a 644p board.

Works ok on my sanguinololu.. you mean the sync error when uploading it ? which means it compiles fine, it was a comms error to the board. You obviously chose the right board and serial port under tools  ? (just checking)

78 (edited by Shotline 2013-08-10 08:08:14)

adrian wrote:
Shotline wrote:

Works ok on my sanguinololu.. you mean the sync error when uploading it ? which means it compiles fine, it was a comms error to the board. You obviously chose the right board and serial port under tools  ? (just checking)

You are correct.  It compiled fine after I selected the correct board but it would not upload.

I have a quick question and I didn't read this entire thread... If its already answered, please let me know and then I'll read the thread.

Long story short, my printer is on the east coast and I only took my Sanguinololu with me to the west coast so that I can upgrade it to an atmega1284p, so I can't plug it in to see the physical changes...

Is there a way to confirm that I have uploaded my firmware to my atmega1284p?
Can I download the firmware code from the 1284p to the Arduino environment to see if my changes are burned in?

You dont need to have the motherboard installed in order to connect it to Repetier Host. That would let you know the firmware was downloaded.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

hi just a question abou it : i got a S2 with printrboard and e3d hot end with 2 power supply(one for board an other for e3d and x motor fans) but the cooling fan its soldered to the board and it works before(flashing software) very good just after flashin th firmware the fan dont work more, of course i allready check the soldering wire conections and test with other new fans as well.
my question is:that cud be for new firmware or not and what way i have to see for other solutions.
cud be very helpfull show me the way to go.

I am having a bit of trouble with transferring the files. It says to move the files from the add-on folder to Arduino 1.05. All the files in add-ons?
To which folder in 1.05 do they go, hardware, library?

blacky.blackwell wrote:

I am having a bit of trouble with transferring the files. It says to move the files from the add-on folder to Arduino 1.05. All the files in add-ons?
To which folder in 1.05 do they go, hardware, library?

How about you read the top post on the page instead of PMing me impatiently?

lawsy wrote:

Big user friendly update!

Adrian has kindly prepared PC and Mac versions of the latest Arduino which are compatible with the Sanguinololu boards.

From the readme:

Arduino0022 is no longer needed. A preprepared version of Arduino 1.0.5 has been setup by ozadr1an. It features the required changes needed for the Sanguinololu electronics to work with versions of Arduino beyond 0022. Official Arduino download is available, but you will need to move the files from the Add-ons folder of this repository for the firmware to successfully compile and upload:

-http://arduino.cc/hu/Main/Software

Preprepared PC version:

-http://www.mediafire.com/download/leatx … indows.zip
-https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7Ieezi … UM2Rk02ajQ

Simply unzip into a folder of your choice.

Preprepared Mac version:

-http://www.mediafire.com/download/9z357 … macosx.zip
-https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7Ieezi … FZfb0QwZ0U

This has cut a whole bunch of steps out of preparing the Arduino IDE for firmware editing.

All credit to Adrian for creating and Ian Johnson for testing.

Sorry about that. I have read the complete thread several times and everything else i could find before asking a question.
I have been coding with Arduino for almost 2 years so i understand some but clearly not all or enough.
I do as much researcher as i can before asking a question.
Again sorry about that.

I have a new Printrboard from SD .I am going to install a E3d. I know I have to update the firmware. This is where it gets confusing. Since I do not know what version of firmware is on my board , how do I know what to edit.I have read all the info from SF and SD wikis , sorry I just don't get it.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Are you able to open the configuration.h file in arduino?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

87 (edited by satman49 2014-01-21 04:54:23)

Do you mean can I open the marlin firmware from arduino? Thats the rub ,I have downloaded several versions of the firmware but which one is already on the board? Going to bed ,maybe it will be clearer in the morning. tnanks in advance.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

satman49 wrote:

Do you mean can I open the marlin firmware from arduino? Thats the rub ,I have downloaded several versions of the firmware but which one is already on the board?

It doesn't really matter at this point.  If you know how to open that file and are confident that you understand how to flash it to your board I can tell you what lines to change for your E3D.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

satman49 wrote:

Do you mean can I open the marlin firmware from arduino? Thats the rub ,I have downloaded several versions of the firmware but which one is already on the board? Going to bed ,maybe it will be clearer in the morning. tnanks in advance.

Just to clarify, it doesn't matter what is currently on the board because you overwrite it when updating. It is not possible to pull the existing firmware off, edit and reflash.

OK from  http://www.soliwiki.com/E3D_extruder:

If you have one of the more recent Solidoodles with the Printrboard, follow the instructions [1] for updating the firmware. Ignore the rest of this section except for the table of changes to the Configuration.h file below.

Line     Change From     Change To     Notes
line 15     #define SOLIDOODLE_VERSION 2     #define SOLIDOODLE_VERSION 3     only if you have an SD3
line 91     #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1     #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 6     since the E3D uses a different thermistor
line 112     #define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 225     #define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 310     since you can get to higher temperatures

Should I use Arduino0022 or Arduino 1.0.5?I use Arduino 1.0.5 with another project and does it matter what config.h (from which version of firmware) I use?
I never could update the firmware on the sang board.Just a bit frustrated trying to understand all the info, sorry. Just hope I can use the E3D when it arrives.

I think you can use the newer version.  Just need to try it and see if it uploads.  The main thing is having the correct board chosen.  Just open up the marlin.ino or .pde and see if you can get to the configuration.h file.  I am definitely NOT an expert with this stuff but I have uploaded firmware successfully several times.  Each time I feel like it's the first time.  I think you just need to try it.

OK thanks, oh would it be a problem if I updated now before I get the E3d)?

No problem at all. Now is the time to figure this stuff out.  I have done the Sang boards and more recently my Rumba.  Just never done the printer board but the process is similar.

from  http://wiki.solidoodle.com/update-firmware

Upload firmware using factory bootloader

The Solidoodle Motherboard ships with an HID bootloader installed. If you are using windows, it is extremely easy and quick to use. If you're not using windows, or do not wish to use the HID bootloader, Scroll down to Upload firmware with ISP programmer.

Download Lincomatic's BootloaderHID.zip and extract the files.
Move the firmware.cpp.hex file from the previous section into the BootloaderHID folder.
Connect your motherboard to your PC via USB. Add a jumper to the BOOT pins and press the RESET button to reset into bootloader mode. If you do not have a jumper, just short the pins together and press reset.
Open a command prompt window. Navigate to BootloaderHID folder in the comand promt window and type the following command, substituting your file in for "firmware.cpp.hex":
The line about adding a jumper to boot pins is confusing. do I leave the jumper on while uploading and then take it off or what?

I'm not certain you even need to do that step. 

"ows, it is extremely easy and quick to use. "

wardjr wrote:

I'm not certain you even need to do that step. 

"ows, it is extremely easy and quick to use. "

I would guess you leave it on

You need it for when you press the reset button. Once it is in bootloader mode, you dont need it on anymore. The HID bootloader will reset the board once its done uploading, but I usually remove all power (including the USB cable) once uploading has been verified.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

98 (edited by satman49 2014-01-23 23:08:11)

ok I think I may have done it.Last thing it says in command prompt window is : booting ,but how will I really know it worked?
well that didn't work, I had to change pc and now when I do the steps for updating firmware all I get is errors, bout ready to give up.I can still use the old hotend  tho

You could just try to warm up your extruder beyond your past max temp.

Or scroll to the top of the Repetier host message window for the most recent connection, and before all the eeprom dump will be the compilation date of the firnware... its the very 1st or 2nd message after connection