Re: Solidoodle2-marlin firmware update thread

Manx wrote:

thanksyou for the advice i'll give that a try this afternoon after i have my latest print finish

There is no real advantage to using a more updated version.  As long as you managed to get it to flash you're good.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

127 (edited by w_smith 2015-03-31 10:39:13)

I'm about to upgrade my SD4 with Printerboard:
Send: M115
Recv: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1; Sprinter/grbl mashup for Printrboard FIRMWARE_URL:http://www.solidoodle.com/how-to-2/how-to-update-firmware/ PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Solidoodle_3_Expert EXTRUDER_COUNT:1
Recv: ok

with the E3D V6 hot-end.  Do I need to update my firmware?  What's the most straightforward way of doing that?  I've got Macs and PCs, but there's a PC closest to the SD4.

I'm looking ovver:
http://wiki.solidoodle.com/update-firmware
https://github.com/ozadr1an/Solidoodle- … in_v1_beta
and this thread, but it's making my brain spin...

Thanks!

Follow these to the letter.
http://www.soliwiki.com/Updating_Solido … structions

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

I bought a used solidoodle 2 which I think was originally bought in 2013. Can I benefit from upgrading the firmware? I am fairly adept mechanically but not great with software. How difficult is it to perform the upgrade?

Thanks

Look at the board if it is a Sanguinololu than upgrading is pretty easy.  The benefit comes in the form of future upgrades.

wardjr wrote:

Look at the board if it is a Sanguinololu than upgrading is pretty easy.  The benefit comes in the form of future upgrades.

Thanks for the reply. The only thing I see on the board that has an indication of its type is "Motherboard REV-E"

I am pretty certain that is a Printerboard. 
The steps can be found in the WIKI for both the Sanguinololu and the Printerboard.
http://www.soliwiki.com/Updating_Solidoodle_Firmware

Hello guys , i fried the printrboard on my SD3 and transplanted my ramps+arduino combo  from the other printer , done all the wires right  , managed to get the x ans y moving preperly but the z axys won t move  and the  G3D panel lcd text is corect but it makes strange noise and keeps refeeshing or something .
I tested the z motor by plugging in the X slot on ramps and it works but kinda of slow.
The arduino and ramps was working fine on the other printer  wich also had 4 motors .
PLEASE HELP ! smile

Sounds like you need to turn up the VREF for that driver.

135 (edited by Nate 2015-11-07 23:02:36)

COULD USE A LITTLE HELP OR SOME MORE IDEAS TO GET MY FIRMWARE UPDATED

I have a SD2 with a Sanguinololu/atmega 644P board. I am working on updating the Marlin firmware in order to finalize the installation of myE3D-Lite6 hotend. In the process of uploading the firmware I continue to get the following error message:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I have worked through the various 'reset' button pushes and I am still getting the same error message.

Anybody work through this issue as well? I have spent the last two nights trying to get this new firmware uploaded and reworked the whole process several times.

Some extra info:
I am running Mac OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite) & am using the Mac OS X prepackaged Arduino 1.0.5 IDE (linked over on pg 3 of this thread). I am using the Marlin firmware link from pg 1 on this thread.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

UPDATE: I posted this question over in the Help/Repair/Maintenance thread and got it solved with wardjr's help.
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/12765/up … ware-help/

Mac OS X Yosemite & RH/Slic3r
SD2 w/ E3D-Lite6 hotend
Mk5 extruder assembly w/ E3D Hobb Goblin gear
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

wardjr wrote:

These links are dead for the firmware and the BootloaderHID. Does anybody have updated links?

Technology Teacher -Minisink Valley Middle School
3X Solidoodle 2 pro, 2X Solidoodle 3 with 6" beds, 5X Solidoodle 4
Many commercial & home-built CNC routers & laser engravers

Firmware link.  https://github.com/ozadr1an/Solidoodle- … in_v1_beta
I'll see what I can do to update the other links in the WIKI

a friend and i just spend all weekend trying to update the firmware on my SD3.  (links for firmware updating are broken on SD webpage. I sent them an email)
and now today I find this forum post. is this last link shared up to date?

wardjr wrote:

Firmware link.  https://github.com/ozadr1an/Solidoodle- … in_v1_beta
I'll see what I can do to update the other links in the WIKI

and can I assume that these are the instructions i need to follow? as per instructions 'to the letter'

wardjr wrote:

our difficulty was there seemed to be so much misinformation or outdated information?
we compiled it and got to the end with a communications error and there was all this uncertainty about when and how to press the reset button or hold it for 10 no wait 5 no any arbitrary about in between. but do it before... no during... no when the verbose output displays a certain message... I would just like a factual and certain method. 

so do i follow ozadr1an's instructions:  https://github.com/ozadr1an/Solidoodle- … in_v1_beta
or lawsy's: https://github.com/mlaws/solidoodle2-marlin

???

I am updating the firmware because my hotend clogged up so I got the new E3D v6; I have the solidoodle 3 Rev 1.3C with the sanguinololu 1.3a motherboard and the ATmega 644p chip. I there anything special I need to know before I try this again?

thank you for all your help big_smile

For that printer Adrian's version is still preferred.
You've got a very easy board to flash.  You can follow Adrian's instructions with no real issue as the WIKI instructions are largely based on those.  Use Arduino 022 select the correct board and com port in the tools drop down.  Make your configuration.h changes including board number.
Then save>verify and if that's good with no errors then hit the reset button (no need to hold it) and then click the upload button.  That's about all there is to it.

first, thank you for your quick response!
I keep getting this error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xd7

I must be missing something.
the prepared version of arduino in ozadr!an's instructions is 1.0.5 (does that matter?) you mentioned 0022 which I have seen mentioned elsewhere as well. Is there a prepared version of 0022?

It is my understanding that 1.0.5 should work just fine.  That being said I haven't used that version to verify.
First double check that you have the correct com port selected in the tools dropdown.  Arduino will always say that it is connected on COMX (X being the number you selected) regardless of whether or not it is actually connected to that com port.  So check device manager to ensure what com port is actually connected.

Here is a few things to try that I pulled from the reprap WIKI for your board

" stk500_getsync

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Workaround

To resolve for boards older than Rev 1.3a, hold the reset button on your Sanguinololu for about 10 seconds. While still holding the button, try to upload the firmware again. Let go of the reset button as soon as the Arduino IDE reports, "Binary sketch size: ###### bytes (of a 63488 byte maximum)". The firmware should now be accepted.
Permanent fix

A fix was added in Rev 1.3a. If unpopulated, solder a 2-pin header to the "Autoreset Enable" jumper labeled AUTO RST on the silkscreen. This is located between the Z stepper motor socket and pins 8-10 of the ATMEGA644P socket. In addition, you should also set your Virtual COM port parameter "RTS on close" to ON. Adding the jumper allows the PC to reset the Sanguinololu board during programming and interactive sessions. Removing the jumper allows the printer to run in standalone mode; that is, the board will not reset mid-print when the PC is disconnected or reconnected.
Other possibilities

Another thing to check is the baudrate in "hardware/Gen7/boards.txt". Gen7xxx.upload.speed should be 115200. The Arduino IDE will not see changes to this file until it is restarted.

Another item to check is whether virtual com port drivers are installed correctly. Make sure you see "USB Serial Port" under the heading "Ports (COM & LPT)". If you see a USB driver in the "Other" category with a question mark, you need to manually select the driver for the FTDI chip with drivers from the website"

Okay I think I found my problem, but I'm still confused.
I was under the impression that the arduino program uploaded the firmware directly to the board, but upon closer inspection i looks like I have to utilize BootloaderHID?

which brings me to my crux. as of now.
is it 'firmware.ino.hex' or 'firmware.cpp.hex' and why is no one sure of where it ends up? if its such an important file why can we point it to a save location?  anyway I digress. I can find the 'firmware.cpp.hex' and I can get it to a point where I am in cmd and running:  “hid_bootloader_cli -mmcu=at90usb1286 -w -v Marlin.cpp.hex"

And all I get is (hint: press the reset button.)

I have pressed. pressed and held. spammed...

so which pins are the "boot" pins. I have a jumper on the first set of 6 pins (lower right hand corner - http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/f/fa … to-top.jpg )  on the left the two labeled 'reset' and 'ground'  because I couldn't find a pin labeled 'boot'.

looks like there is a jumper pre-installed on the 'auto rst'

(I feel like I am making this out to be more complicated than it need be... I apologize.)

am I on the right track this time?

You are following the wrong set of instructions.  You have the Sanguinololu and all you need to do is click save then verify then hit the reset button on the board and click upload.

144 (edited by onus34 2016-01-13 23:19:32)

Okay, good call. Follow the right directions...
I think I got it. Arduino 0022 said it did the job.

But wait there's more... 

So now I power up and connect repetier-host solidoodle v 0.85b
and I get this:

16:12:45.702 : Serial com error:System.IO.Ports.SerialErrorReceivedEventArgs

Turned out to be an easy fix...

Set the Baud rate to 250000

thank you for all your help!!!

Will the latest versions of Marlin work with the PanelDue touchscreen controller?

That is a question best answered by the creator of the PanelDue, if you send me a message I'll give you his email. Just don't want to post it here for spam reasons.

147 (edited by markossreis 2020-09-24 19:46:13)

Boa tarde!!
Tenho uma impressora XYZ Pro, que não reconhece o cartucho. Preciso resetar a placa o modelo é igual do volvodr66.
http://soliforum.com/i/?oUxvmSx.jpg
Obrigado

148 (edited by madyogi 2020-12-15 19:48:29)

Here is my little (if any) contribution to the topic.

If you guys get "out of sync" errors over arduino-1.0.5, it can happen that the chip on PCB has wrong fuseBits's set or the speed of bootloader is different than the one set in boards.txt file.
These are values that worked for my SD2 (I decided to bring it back to life lately).

Programming with arduino worked only AFTER I've pulled out the chip from the sanguino board and reset its fuseBits to indicate bootloader position at $F800 (byte address; bits were set to tell it's under $F000 - it never had chance to work having that set).

// boards.txt part
atmega644.name=Sanguino W/ ATmega644P
atmega644.upload.protocol=arduino
atmega644.upload.maximum_size=63488
atmega644.upload.speed=38400
atmega644.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF
atmega644.bootloader.high_fuses=0x9A
atmega644.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xFF
# For the bootloader, I've also switched from:
#atmega644.bootloader.path=atmega
# back to this one:
atmega644.bootloader.path=atmega644p
#atmega644.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega644p.hex
# AND OLD HEX IMAGE OF IT:
atmega644.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_644P.hex
atmega644.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
atmega644.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

atmega644.build.mcu=atmega644p
atmega644.build.f_cpu=16000000L
atmega644.build.core=arduino
atmega644.build.variant=standard
##############################################################

I have created custom heated bed, powered from mains (230V). I'm in the middle of tests and it all looks promissing.
New thermistor still needs trimming (shows less than it should) but since the bed heats up so fast, it's hard to determine the correct 'drift' of the sensor. Board has 280 Watts and could reach 100'C in like 15 secs. So not to break anything, I go easy and with great deal of caution with it. Anyway, I forced my itsy, bitsy brain to write some code that based on BETA value of the thermistor and it's pullup, generates temperature lookup tables for our firmware. (See attachement.)

The resulting table must be used to replace one of entries in:
arduino-1.0.5\examples\SolidoodleMarlin\thermistortables.h

TEMP_SENSOR_0 and or TEMP_SENSOR_BED in Configuration.h need to be updated, accordingly. Compile, upload, test and enjoy...

P.S. If this part needs moving to some other topic, feel free to do so, but pls let me know about it!

Post's attachments

marlin-thermistor.zip 56.54 kb, 2 downloads since 2020-12-15 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.