Re: Filastruder Documentation and CAD/STL files

Oh that's a good point. I'm doing this at work, and sometimes they block unexpected things...

That link gives me an IE error

then it is blocked at the router at your work... Tim will see all this in a bit and probably has an alternative idea smile

Okay - thanks a lot for your help! smile

Emailed you a copy, but its 22MB. Maybe your IT department will reject that, too! smile

Blocking Dropbox is silly. If a company is doing it for data security, are the USB ports epoxied over and email attachments blocked too? CD/DVDRW drives removed?

As I suspected:

Your email message was not delivered because a file attachment was too large. Please resend your email with a smaller attachment size (maximum message size is 15MB) or use the [company name redacted] dropbox as an alternative method for sending large files to [company name redacted] employees. To use the dropbox please click the link below.

In this day and age we have 4TB hard drives, 128GB microSDs the size of your fingernail, but a 20MB email attachment is too large?

So, I used your company's dropbox, which helpfully provided:

Typical Upload times through a T1:

When's the last time someone was on a T1? This is 2014. At any rate, you should be good to go now. smile

Thank you very much! Yea... every task is an adventure here. =P I appreciate the effort to get it to me!

132 (edited by bobnojio 2014-05-16 19:57:00)

Going through the current 1.5 documentation (what can i say... im excited for this to arrive)
RTA to RTR section 4 -- error. you mention the diagram to the left, but diagram is on the right.

also, from your Wiring diagram, the RTA Kit - RTR Extruder (electrical)
step 6 is incorrect (from wiring diagram).  the switch should turn on the PID Controller, not the heater directly.

Sure, I can tweak those things. To me the heater gets power through the PID from the switch so it's just semantics, but I'll clarify.

The instructions never say where or how to install the thermocouple?  I read thru it a few times, searched it on the pdf and no mention.  By looking at pics, it seems the sensor tip goes into the hole on the side of the brass nozzle?

I have to be crazy, right?

Page 5, step 4:

Insert thermocouple in brass plug. Secure with kapton tape, metal zip tie, or pipe clamp (not included)

Thanks. 

On the power supply, I don't have a meter and the wires are blue and brown? If I wire it up wrong, will the motor just run backwards, or will it harm the controller?  You can just put all the wires coming into the '10' position under the screw, or do you need to wire nut them together in a Jerry rig harness as the wiring diagram shows.

Reverse polarity won't hurt the controller, it works both ways. DMMs are like $4 at harbor freight though, pick one up!

You do not need to use a wire nut, or one would be included, or at least mentioned in the instructions. There is not one shown in the wiring diagram.

I'm having problems with the 1.5 assembly instructions, re: compression of thrust bearing.

I've managed to get as far as attaching the main support to the base. In particular, I'm having a problem with these two points:

-Attach the two angle brackets to the bottom of the main support using silver screws.  Position the main support such that there is a 2-3mm gap between the end of the feedscrew and the interior edge of the socket. See the cutaway view to the right. Note that the motor shaft is not shown in this view for clarity.
-Line up main support on the base, slide feedscrew into coupling, ensuring thrust bearing is compressed, then attach angle brackets to base. The goal is to make sure the boards are far enough apart that the bearing will be in compression before the screw bottoms out on the socket.

On my assembly, the auger freely slides in and out of the pipe by about a few centimeters, because the thrust bearing and nylon spacer pass very neatly through the hole that came drilled in the support. However, any pictures or video I see on this assembly show the thrust bearing and nylon spacer pressed firmly up against the support which is giving compression to the bearing. Is this different in 1.5? Is the idea that I do want the entire auger assembly to slide a little inside the pipe, and that the build up of molten plastic near the nozzle will press the auger back against the motor to create that compression?

In general, may I add that I've had a difficult time following the instructions as I didn't initially know what any of the terms referred to. Example, I didn't know what the nipple was until I realized the instructions was alternating between referring to it as a nipple, then a barrel, then a pipe. Might I suggest a pictorial index at the start identifying each of the uncommon items by name or number, and then consistently use such name in the following instructions?

drangid wrote:

Is the idea that I do want the entire auger assembly to slide a little inside the pipe, and that the build up of molten plastic near the nozzle will press the auger back against the motor to create that compression?

Yes, though the auger sticking out 1/4" is more important than the 95mm dimension. Adjust the shaft collar position if needed.

drangid wrote:

However, any pictures or video I see on this assembly show the thrust bearing and nylon spacer pressed firmly up against the support which is giving compression to the bearing.

This is incorrect. The hole in the support has always been large enough for the shaft collar to pass through.

Hmm, both are true on mine. The auger sticking out 1/4" at the nozzle end, and the collar is 95mm from the other end so it sounds fine there. I can't seem to post any links to anything, but every image posted in the gallery in this form, and every image I see on google (at least where this area is visible) shows the thrust bearing well outside the wooden block. At one point the bearing was blue? Or is that something else I'm seeing?

Can I get confirmation that the auger is supposed to slide in and out of the pipe by a couple centimeters after everything has been assembled together? Or should I maybe fix this by pushing the auger tight into the motor socket before attaching the base?

drangid wrote:

Can I get confirmation that the auger is supposed to slide in and out of the pipe by a couple centimeters after everything has been assembled together? Or should I maybe fix this by pushing the auger tight into the motor socket before attaching the base?

Yes, it is normal for it to be able to slide in and out. That's why the instructions say:

slide feedscrew into coupling, ensuring thrust bearing is compressed, then attach angle brackets to base. The goal is to make sure the boards are far enough apart that the bearing will be in compression before the screw bottoms out on the socket.

Yes, the thrust bearing is supposed to be outside the wood block, and yes at one point (very early on) the race of the bearing was blue.

142 (edited by curlrup 2014-06-06 17:53:50)

I just got my Filastruder for work.  I work for a government facilty and your assembly instructions are not allowed to be downloaded.  Zip files do that.  Can someone send me a PDF of the assembly instructions?  Or is there another place to get the instructions?  Thanks

Email me thought the Filastruder website with your serial number, and I can send the correct PDF.

The reason its a zip is that the zip contains STLs and other files.

I can't get access to the build video, and I stuck with the wiring with no voltmeter

The build video is only for v1.0.

A DMM is a very useful tool to have. Cheap ones are only a few dollars.

I received my kit today
how do I see this video?
Assembly video, goes with Revision 1.0 of the instructions.

If you received your kit today, either it took 9 months to get to you or it isn't a v1.0.

I have a v1.2, and I'm having issues figuring out where in the instructions we went wrong.  At step 10, it says to tighten it without crushing the spacers, but when I try to tighten the bolts, there;s a couple-mm-wide gap between the back flange and the spacer.  Image of what I mean is here: 

imgur.com/VylLsQ7

When it's not on the wood center piece, the auger and the nipple look like this: 
imgur.com/xiiRDr0

Do I have the flange too far on or not far enough on or something? I took apart the filastruder because the barrel was turning, even though it should have been at the right temperature and it had extruded for 8 hours yesterday with no issue.  Now I'm just confused.  tongue

Can I see the other side of what's going on in that first picture? The first time you assembled it, were the white spacers loose like that? That's bad, they should be snug but not crushed.

I've actually found the issue, I think.  The barrel is bent pretty badly.  That's why everything is refusing to be nice and straight, which is causing the gap.  Is there some way to replace it without having to replace the auger and nozzle, too?

I wasn't actually the person to put this together.  I've inherited it from a research group, but when I took it apart, there were two washers between each of the spacers and the wood.  I'm assuming that wasn't right.