301 (edited by megmaltese 2014-12-13 17:36:43)

Re: Filastruder Documentation and CAD/STL files

OK, now, I know this question will result absolutely stupid but I can't help myself... I'm watching the electronics diagram, and... well, I have to make branches out of the main power supply cable, right?
Just to know it, so I will have to find some wire, should have some at home.

And another thing just to be sure: I have cut the power supply cable, and one is blue and the other is brown.
I assume the blue is in place of the red (positive), but I want to be sure before proceeding...

You don't really need to "branch" the main cable, you can use the screw terminals on the PID controller as junctions. You can branch if you prefer, but I just run all the wires to those terminals - 2 wires on each side of the screw, twisted together before putting them under the terminal.

As noted in the instructions, the wire colors can be a bit variable. You should check with a multimeter, though reverse polarity won't damage anything electrically - the gear motor will just spin the wrong way (should be clockwise as viewed from the nozzle) and the fan won't spin at all. The PID controller doesn't care about polarity for power.

OK I still need even more clearness big_smile

Can this:

Positive of the power supply goes to the center pin of one of the switches.
A wire goes from outer pin of said switch to outer pin of the other switch, and to Pin 9 of the controller.
A wire goes from Pin 8 to Pin 9 of the controller.
A wire goes from center pin of said switch to the fan's red wire and to one of the motor terminals.
The fan's black wire connects to Pin 10 on the PID.
One of the heater wires connects to Pin 10 of the PID.
The other motor terminal connects to Pin 10 on the PID.
The power supply's negative wire connects to Pin 10 on the PID.
The other heater wire connects to Pin 7 on the PID.
Connect thermocouple, be mindful of the polarity.

be translated to this:

Positive of the power supply goes to the center pin of SWITCH 1.
A wire goes from outer pin of SWITCH 1 to outer pin of SWITCH 2, and to Pin 9 of the controller.
A wire goes from center pin of SWITCH 2 to the fan's red wire and to one of the motor terminals.

4.) Connect the thermocouple to the controller by sliding it under the screws. Observe polarity. If using the enclosure, you may need to bend the terminals of the thermocouple so the yellow thermocouple connector does not interfere with the enclosure. Insert thermocouple in brass plug. Secure with kapton tape, metal zip tie, or pipe clamp (not included)

Thermocouple is the temperature sensor? The one with orange plug?
Brass plug is the one that defines the filament diameter?
I would rather prefer to stick it with kapton tape to the barrell on which the heater is attached over, so I can change the brass plug without having to detach and reattach the sensor, is this practice ok?

What about heater polarity, not important?

Sorry for pointing everything out as the newbie I am, I just prefer to spend 2 words more than burn anything and have to wait weeks to complete the thing.

megmaltese wrote:

OK I still need even more clearness big_smile

Can this:

Positive of the power supply goes to the center pin of one of the switches.
A wire goes from outer pin of said switch to outer pin of the other switch, and to Pin 9 of the controller.
A wire goes from center pin of said switch to the fan's red wire and to one of the motor terminals.

be translated to this:

Positive of the power supply goes to the center pin of SWITCH 1.
A wire goes from outer pin of SWITCH 1 to outer pin of SWITCH 2, and to Pin 9 of the controller.
A wire goes from center pin of SWITCH 2 to the fan's red wire and to one of the motor terminals.

Yes.

megmaltese wrote:

Thermocouple is the temperature sensor? The one with orange plug?
Brass plug is the one that defines the filament diameter?

Yes, yes.

megmaltese wrote:

I would rather prefer to stick it with kapton tape to the barrell on which the heater is attached over, so I can change the brass plug without having to detach and reattach the sensor, is this practice ok?

In my opinion no. What you really want to control is the temperature at the exit, not the temperature at the heater. The two are not linked, since ambient conditions and mass flow rate through the machine can vary. You can experiment with it if you want but don't be surprised if you see poorer results from a filament tolerance point of view.

megmaltese wrote:

What about heater polarity, not important?

Correct, heaters do not have polarity.

megmaltese wrote:

Sorry for pointing everything out as the newbie I am, I just prefer to spend 2 words more than burn anything and have to wait weeks to complete the thing.

No problem.

Another question: I see that switch 2 is only used on one of the outer pins, the other 2 pins are unused, is this correct?
Also, I assume it's ok if I use for both switch the n.2 external pin, right?

megmaltese wrote:

Another question: I see that switch 2 is only used on one of the outer pins, the other 2 pins are unused, is this correct?

No, look at the 4th step.

megmaltese wrote:

Also, I assume it's ok if I use for both switch the n.2 external pin, right?

Yes, which outer pin you use just affects which way is up on the switch.

307 (edited by megmaltese 2014-12-14 11:38:53)

Turned on the thing now after cabling, but no signs of life sad

Power supply green LED is on, so up to there at least there's electricity lol big_smile

Post's attachments

IMG_4185s.JPG
IMG_4185s.JPG 530.71 kb, 4 downloads since 2014-12-14 

IMG_4186s.JPG
IMG_4186s.JPG 378.99 kb, 4 downloads since 2014-12-14 

IMG_4187s.JPG 429.62 kb, 2 downloads since 2014-12-14 

IMG_4188s.JPG
IMG_4188s.JPG 462.02 kb, 3 downloads since 2014-12-14 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

You tried both positions on the switch?

309 (edited by megmaltese 2014-12-14 16:32:18)

No lol ho did you know that? big_smile
I thought the switch worked in one way but it was the other.

All those LED... are now light... and christmas is near... and the screw is turning... so nice.

Now I'll have to make the set up of the electronic and print the feeder plastic part.
Had to replace the printer head recently and still have to complete the work... hope I manage to finish it tomorrow.

I can't find any docs on how to set up the PID, is there anything to get started with it, apart the sheet that comes in the box?

What are you trying to do?

The only thing you should need to do is autotune the PID loop, which is covered in the Filastruder assembly instructions.

Not sure if you thought the wiring was finished in the photos you posted, but it isn't and the heater won't heat without this step you missed:

312 (edited by megmaltese 2014-12-15 15:02:28)

elmoret wrote:

What are you trying to do?

The only thing you should need to do is autotune the PID loop, which is covered in the Filastruder assembly instructions.

Not sure if you thought the wiring was finished in the photos you posted, but it isn't and the heater won't heat without this step you missed:

Doh that's why!!!
Thank you for checking it, dude.

I thought there was some setup process to do on the PID.

But apart this, the only thing that we need to do is change temperature?

Is it possible to change motor speed?

Correct, the only thing to do on the PID controller (other than autotuning, which should only be done if the thermal characteristics change, like moving the insulation, changing the fan, etc)

To go faster, you'll need to over volt the motor. It would be important to add cooling if you do this in the form of a fan blowing on the motor. 15-18v should be ok, as long as the additional cooling is sufficient.

To go slower (not sure why you'd do this), you could use a PWM controller.

314 (edited by megmaltese 2014-12-15 15:55:26)

elmoret wrote:

Correct, the only thing to do on the PID controller (other than autotuning, which should only be done if the thermal characteristics change, like moving the insulation, changing the fan, etc)

To go faster, you'll need to over volt the motor. It would be important to add cooling if you do this in the form of a fan blowing on the motor. 15-18v should be ok, as long as the additional cooling is sufficient.

To go slower (not sure why you'd do this), you could use a PWM controller.

Thank you very much!

BTW the motor has a metal band that is mobile over it, what is that for? Magnetic field protection?

I don't think it really does anything, you can remove it if you want.

Hi.

I have a filastruder, no FA248, from the kickstarted project. I can't seem to find an assembly guide that works?

Anybody got one?

Thanks

guys please help me  by using SESTOS D1S - 2R in my Filastruder i dont know whats the setting ?

That's not really a question. What are you asking?

hi,

i was getting ready to start assembling my filastruder and filawinder ...

but the links on the first page aint working ...

pls let me know where i can download the operation manuals

chX

The link on the first page works fine, I just tested it.

thanks,

the

Revision 1.2 of the operation manual for the Fully Assembled Filastruder (Lasercut guide bar parts, Serial # FA140, FA179-present) gives a 404 error in dropbox

pls check

chx

That document is 2 years old, and applies only to Kickstarter, fully assembled units.

if you "just received" yours, then the v1.6 link in the very first post is appropriate.

323 (edited by fgingat 2015-05-03 21:59:10)

Hello everyone,

i'm trying  to build my filastruder (v1.6) and i must say that the paper manual is .. totally useless
seriously, why provide a so badly printed black and white manual, pictures are nearly impossible to read  ? don't provide a manual and give a card with the link to the pdf it will be more usefull and will save trees
(nooo, i'm not angry at all .. after all i'm French so ... ^^)

Second point, is it me or the 7"/16 - 1/4" drive 6pt socket is not the right piece to adapt to the motor (step11-13 in the pdf manual)? this adapter is too small ... could you please tell me the size of the good adapter ?

Edit : the wood which support the flange is not aligned ... the three parts has been badly glued together so ... i've redrilled the holes but the wood piece need some work to be perfectly aligned, i know that this is a "DIY" kit but ... it seems that this one passed trough your quality controls.

http://s17.postimg.org/kp9wdegtn/IMG_20150503_235136.jpg

http://s17.postimg.org/3nh2bb1yj/IMG_20150503_235149.jpg

Regards
Flo

The correct size for the adapter is 3/8", not 1/4". That's odd that you got a 1/4", but I can send you another if you can't find one locally. If you do find one locally, email me with the cost and I'll credit you accordingly.

As for the manual, I don't include paper manuals with the Filastruder, so I'm a bit confused there? If you mean the Filawinder, the PDF is here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/u6l … 1400126234

thanks for the 3/8" info, i will check on amazon.

I get a paper manual for the filastruder and filawinder in my package, as i brought the two at the same time ^^.

For future revisions of the manual, maybee you can take picture of the flange assembly viewed from the right side as in the pdf we can see the 4 spacers but not in the "right" place (between the flange and the wood support), as i've read on the forum i'm not the only one to have some problems with this step.

Regards
Flo